OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 17008 Old 01-28-2008, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdanderson View Post

I may be dreaming but I am waiting for a Blu-ray player what will do the following:

Play DVD Audio and SACD discs

Decode all the new audio formats like Dolby True HD and DTS HD

Have 5.1 audio outputs( I don't want to have to get a new preamp but mine does not have HDMI inputs) I also don't want to be forced to get a 5.1 switcher)

Thanks for any advice.
Matt

My dream is like yours but with a region-free SD DVD playback.

And my wife sez it's got to be black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 17008 Old 01-28-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
So, what is the best Blu-Ray player on the market in terms of a universal audio and video source for everything but HD-DVD (i.e., SACD, DVD-A, CD, Blu-Ray, DVD, etc).

Have any video test comparisons been done with the higher quality equipment. I'm specifically interested in the Denon DVD-3800BDCI and the names of any possible competition it has on the market.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm using a PS3 right now for Blu-Ray, and a Denon DVD-5910 for everything else. Is it even worth switching to something new yet in my situation?

"It is worse still to be ignorant of your ignorance."
-- Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #363 of 17008 Old 01-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Man, this Blu-ray HD DVD stuff is so confusing. I was all happy with the purchase of my new 1080P HDTV yetserday that I got on line today to see what I should buy, HD or Blu-ray. I still don't know what to buy. And can someone answer a question that has probably been asked and answered a thousand times. I dont have an HDMI 1.3 AV receiver. I have a flagship Marantz SR-9200 that I paid a lot of money for, don't want to upgrade that anytime soon. So can I just go HDMI right from my new HD/Blu-ray to my TV and then the optical digital audio to my receiver?

I'm your Huckleberry
post #364 of 17008 Old 01-28-2008, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post

Any details about what the defining characteristics of each player were? Also what were your requirements for a BD player? I'm curious since I haven't heard of too many independent tests that had people preferring the BDP-S500.

-Splints

First, my requirements for a BD player shouldn't be different that anyone else's so I'm not really sure what you want? But I want the best image possible. And in the scenes I demoed and quite extensively, the Sony BDP-S500 just looked more appealing & natural. Brought my brother over and did some blind testing and he also picked the Sony.

And, I haven't seen or read any comparisons on those players around this forum? The differences are very subtle and let's remember that this is all subjective.

Plus, the PCM LFE issue on the BD30 is a major sore spot since 80% or more than that of Blu-ray titles have PCM tracks.

I think the Panny does get alot of notice because it's 1.1 profile and indeed it is fast to load. Faster than any of the Sonys for sure. But that doesn't make it give a better image.
post #365 of 17008 Old 01-28-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY GTS View Post

Man, this Blu-ray HD DVD stuff is so confusing. I was all happy with the purchase of my new 1080P HDTV yetserday that I got on line today to see what I should buy, HD or Blu-ray. I still don't know what to buy. And can someone answer a question that has probably been asked and answered a thousand times. I dont have an HDMI 1.3 AV receiver. I have a flagship Marantz SR-9200 that I paid a lot of money for, don't want to upgrade that anytime soon. So can I just go HDMI right from my new HD/Blu-ray to my TV and then the optical digital audio to my receiver?

I'm not sure what players have optical support or not, but I would imagine all of the BD players do, the problem being that you won't be able to access the lossless audio codecs with any of them. If your AVR can accept analog inputs, you can pick up a Panny BD30 for 5.1 sound, or wait for the BD50 for 7.1 if price is a concern.

If your going optical only and no analog, then the ps3 will also meet your needs.

All of the ones listed above are the cheapest options, there are more expensive options, up to you if those fit your needs in any other way.

Hope that helps a little.

-Splints
post #366 of 17008 Old 01-28-2008, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Arggggg..........

Ok, just purchased a 1080p set (upgraded from a 1080i crt). Now looking to get a Blu-Ray player, but I have some questions regarding the new lossless surround formats. Currently, I have a Lexicon MC-1 Pre/pro along with outboard amps. The Lexicon will not decode the new formats and it does not have a HDMI input, but it's a very expensive and a very good sounding unit on Dolby Digital, DTS and Logic 7. Are the new formats that much better? I'm just wondering how a lesser powered system would sound with the newer decoding formats over the pretty high end system that I currently have and that I really enjoy, but then I haven't heard the new formats yet.

Now to the DVD question. If I do decide to keep the Lex and I don't need a Blu-Ray that will output the new surround formats, which one is the best to get?

Thanks in advance for your input.
post #367 of 17008 Old 01-28-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien View Post

Arggggg..........

Ok, just purchased a 1080p set (upgraded from a 1080i crt). Now looking to get a Blu-Ray player, but I have some questions regarding the new lossless surround formats. Currently, I have a Lexicon MC-1 Pre/pro along with outboard amps. The Lexicon will not decode the new formats and it does not have a HDMI input, but it's a very expensive and a very good sounding unit on Dolby Digital, DTS and Logic 7. Are the new formats that much better? I'm just wondering how a lesser powered system would sound with the newer decoding formats over the pretty high end system that I currently have and that I really enjoy, but then I haven't heard the new formats yet.

Now to the DVD question. If I do decide to keep the Lex and I don't need a Blu-Ray that will output the new surround formats, which one is the best to get?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hmm, I'm not sure why you wouldn't pick up a BD player with analog outs. There are quite a few, but yes they are expensive as well. Maybe worth picking up at a local shop try it out to see if it's worth keeping. There is probably some store nearby that has a friendly return policy.

Here's a good link of BD players and what they support: http://www.idoblu.co.uk/page2%20Blu-ray%20Players.html

-Splints
post #368 of 17008 Old 01-28-2008, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm, I'm not sure why you wouldn't pick up a BD player with analog outs. There are quite a few, but yes they are expensive as well. Maybe worth picking up at a local shop try it out to see if it's worth keeping. There is probably some store nearby that has a friendly return policy.

Here's a good link of BD players and what they support: http://www.idoblu.co.uk/page2%20Blu-ray%20Players.html

-Splints

Thanks for the great link Splints. Unfortunatly, the Lex doesn't have 5.1 or 7.1 analog inputs. Toslink and Digital Co-Ax inputs for internal processing only.
post #369 of 17008 Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 PM

I'm looking to get a Blu-Ray and am currently leaning towards the PS3. I have a Denon 3808 AVR and an XBR4 TV. I am currently only using two front speakers, no center and no rears. I may get a center if the dialog is hard to hear. I don't know if or when we'll get rear speakers, and if we did we'd only get two rears at most, i.e. 5.1 (and maybe no .1) never 7.1. So does the fact that the PS3 doesn't do DTS HD-MA really matter to me? I don't know enough about these things to even guess. Also, it sounds like if we went with a standalone the Panny BD30 is a good choice. But what is LFE mean? Sounds like it is a deal breaker for many people. We are really just looking for a simple system at this point. Thanks for the help and enlightenment.

Doug
post #370 of 17008 Old 01-29-2008, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not sure what players have optical support or not, but I would imagine all of the BD players do, the problem being that you won't be able to access the lossless audio codecs with any of them. If your AVR can accept analog inputs, you can pick up a Panny BD30 for 5.1 sound, or wait for the BD50 for 7.1 if price is a concern.

If your going optical only and no analog, then the ps3 will also meet your needs.

All of the ones listed above are the cheapest options, there are more expensive options, up to you if those fit your needs in any other way.

Hope that helps a little.

-Splints

The Panny BD-30 is not the cheapest BD player. There's 3 that are cheaper, the Samsung 1400, Sony S300 and PS3 are both $100 less than the BD-30. Not to mention if your main focus is audio, the BD-30 has an LFE issue when using HDMI so that would not be the way to go until they fix it with a FW upgrade. Out of the cheapest players, the 1400 has the most audio support without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSW View Post

I'm looking to get a Blu-Ray and am currently leaning towards the PS3. I have a Denon 3808 AVR and an XBR4 TV. I am currently only using two front speakers, no center and no rears. I may get a center if the dialog is hard to hear. I don't know if or when we'll get rear speakers, and if we did we'd only get two rears at most, i.e. 5.1 (and maybe no .1) never 7.1. So does the fact that the PS3 doesn't do DTS HD-MA really matter to me? I don't know enough about these things to even guess. Also, it sounds like if we went with a standalone the Panny BD30 is a good choice. But what is LFE mean? Sounds like it is a deal breaker for many people. We are really just looking for a simple system at this point. Thanks for the help and enlightenment.

Doug

From what you wrote I can guess that audio is not very important to you. In that case there's no reason to pick a BDP for audio support. The BD-30 is the most problem free player and probably fastest in that price range now so that's what I would suggest to you. LFE is the low bass sounds, but the problem only applies to using an HDMI audio connection. So since you're not going to be doing that then you won't have a problem. And by the time you decide to upgrade your sound system there would probably be a FW upgrade that would've fixed that. Or you can still go with the PS3, it's much better value than anything else and is just as good.
post #371 of 17008 Old 01-29-2008, 07:28 AM

Hi,

I am thinking of jumping into the HiDef banwagon and I'm going to upgrade my TV so I'm now thinking of buying a Blu-Ray player also since it has now the most studio support ( ie movies ) and I will need some recommendations from you experts. I guess my question is probably answered somewhere else but I really don't have time to search it. So can someone kindly point me to the latest Blu-Ray player model that is :

1) Profile 1.1 compliant out of the box and confirmed can be upgraded to Profile 2.0
2) Fast operating speed ( short loading times )
3) Full 1080p compliant output preferably thru both HDMI and component
4) Reasonably good DVD upconversion ( will also use as a DVD player )
5) Preferably cost not more than USD600/=
6) Not a PS3

Any?

Regards
post #372 of 17008 Old 01-29-2008, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

IF the PS3 is the best player for the price and your needs then why wouldn't you want that one?

I don't think there are any confirmed BD 2.0 players available now aside from the PS3.
post #373 of 17008 Old 01-29-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Panasonic DMP-BD50 release date May-June 2008.
post #374 of 17008 Old 01-29-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush View Post

IF the PS3 is the best player for the price and your needs then why wouldn't you want that one?

I don't think there are any confirmed BD 2.0 players available now aside from the PS3.

Hi Jifflylush,

That's because I already have a Xbox360 for games and using a PS3 as a video player with a game controller as a remote just feels wierd. Same reason I don't use my Xbox as a dvd player. So prefer a standalone.
post #375 of 17008 Old 01-29-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post

The Panny BD-30 is not the cheapest BD player. There's 3 that are cheaper, the Samsung 1400, Sony S300 and PS3 are both $100 less than the BD-30. Not to mention if your main focus is audio, the BD-30 has an LFE issue when using HDMI so that would not be the way to go until they fix it with a FW upgrade. Out of the cheapest players, the 1400 has the most audio support without any issues.

Sorry, I meant the BD30 is the cheapest player to output all the lossless codecs and have analog outs, but even then I'm wrong about the Sammy 1400. Though that player also has had lots of complaints as well. Oh well, MY lowest recommended BD standalone I guess is the BD30...

-Splints
post #376 of 17008 Old 01-29-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benlee View Post

Hi,

I am thinking of jumping into the HiDef banwagon and I'm going to upgrade my TV so I'm now thinking of buying a Blu-Ray player also since it has now the most studio support ( ie movies ) and I will need some recommendations from you experts. I guess my question is probably answered somewhere else but I really don't have time to search it. So can someone kindly point me to the latest Blu-Ray player model that is :

1) Profile 1.1 compliant out of the box and confirmed can be upgraded to Profile 2.0
2) Fast operating speed ( short loading times )
3) Full 1080p compliant output preferably thru both HDMI and component
4) Reasonably good DVD upconversion ( will also use as a DVD player )
5) Preferably cost not more than USD600/=
6) Not a PS3

Any?

Regards

Hmm, sounds like #3 and #6 would be deal-breakers in today's list of player. For #3, I'm not sure if BD's are allowed to output 1080p over component, I believe this is a design issue to make sure that copy protection (HDCP) is used for 1080p. For #6, the only current player that's Profile 2.0/BD-Live upgradeable and confirmed is the ps3.

I would agree with the previous recommendation that the Panny BD50 out later this spring would be the most likely choice to fit all your needs.

-Splints
post #377 of 17008 Old 01-29-2008, 10:41 AM

I to am a HD DVD owner that seems to have fallen for the Beta Max product of the new world. Now wishing to go to Blu Ray Disk which by all published standards is the winner of the two formats. However, I don't make a hundred grand a year and money doesn't come easy. How many normal everyday blue collar guys have $500 or even $300 to spend on a PS3 or BD player. What's a guy to do?
post #378 of 17008 Old 01-29-2008, 11:12 AM

I have a Denon 3801 with a Hitachi PJ-TX100 projector. I am more interested in great audio and that includes LFE. Great video is secondary. What choices should I consider? Price is a consideration.
Thanks

Ferrets are Family/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #379 of 17008 Old 01-29-2008, 03:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhornick View Post

I to am a HD DVD owner that seems to have fallen for the Beta Max product of the new world. Now wishing to go to Blu Ray Disk which by all published standards is the winner of the two formats. However, I don’t make a hundred grand a year and money doesn’t come easy. How many normal everyday blue collar guys have $500 or even $300 to spend on a PS3 or BD player. What’s a guy to do?

First, give yourself credit as an HD DVD owner to accept the reality of the format war. Many on the red side still seem to think Toshiba can win this thing. On any rate, I don't think you have to make 100K to be able to afford a BD player which costs $150 more than an HD DVD player. In addition, how many HD DVD movies do you own? That alone might equal or exceed the amount you need to buy a BD player.

post #380 of 17008 Old 01-29-2008, 03:52 PM

I'm just making the leap to a true AV setup from a stereo. I just bought a Sony xbr 40 and a Panasonic BD-30, which I'm yet to pick up the BD-30. As I haven't installed either, I've been pondering the PS3 instead due to its network/web, upgradeability & media server aspects. From reading the threads, it seems like the PS3 can provide a viable audio support via hdmi. I understand it has no analog support. I'm also buying a new AVR - probably Denon, Onkyo or yamaha. Onkyo advertises the Reon upconversion chip on some of their higher models - could that overcome any upconversion weakness? But what does the PS3 lack in DVD player type features? An early thread mentioned not being able to stop a movie, go to the menu and then return at the same point. Is that still true or has the software been upgraded? Thanks for your advice. (I've learned alot already just reading the threads.)
post #381 of 17008 Old 01-29-2008, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I finally broke down and bought the PS3. I've looked at and read about most of the other standalones, and other than spending $800 plus for the Pioneer 95, there was nothing I felt confident in buying....mostly due to reported operational problems.

The PS3 looks outstanding on Bluray. I prefer the upconversion from my Toshiba HDA1 on SD so far (though it's 1080i), and CD just sounds pretty average compared my Marantz universal player.

So, if that rumored DTS Master Audio upgrade happens, I'll be quite satisfied until those next generation players come out and can find out if they're a little more ironed out than what I've seen to date.

Pretty darned nice Bluray picture for $320.00. For some reason, our Best Buy starting selling them for 20% off on Sunday.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #382 of 17008 Old 01-29-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

I finally broke down and bought the PS3. Pretty darned nice Bluray picture for $320.00. For some reason, our Best Buy starting selling them for 20% off on Sunday.

what? in-store? I didn't see this.
post #383 of 17008 Old 01-30-2008, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell-05 View Post

BB currently has a 20% of Blu-ray players coupon.
post #384 of 17008 Old 01-30-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Eldridge View Post

BB currently has a 20% of Blu-ray players coupon.

Where do we get these coupons?
post #385 of 17008 Old 01-30-2008, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryZ06 View Post

Where do we get these coupons?

In the mail. They are for Reward Zone members only.
post #386 of 17008 Old 01-30-2008, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Eldridge View Post

In the mail. They are for Reward Zone members only.

I am a Reward Zone member.....I spend ALOT of money in BB
post #387 of 17008 Old 01-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryZ06 View Post

I am a Reward Zone member.....I spend ALOT of money in BB

The offer is already over. It was only a weekend promotion from the 25-29th

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhornick View Post

I to am a HD DVD owner that seems to have fallen for the Beta Max product of the new world. Now wishing to go to Blu Ray Disk which by all published standards is the winner of the two formats. However, I don’t make a hundred grand a year and money doesn’t come easy. How many normal everyday blue collar guys have $500 or even $300 to spend on a PS3 or BD player. What’s a guy to do?

You can do what I did. Sell your HD player with all your movies in a bundle on ebay. Then you should have enough to buy a blu-ray player, and you get 5-free movies when you buy a BD player.

After I jumped ship on HD, I did notice that at this point, HD still has the majority of the better movies IMO
post #388 of 17008 Old 01-30-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell-05 View Post

Yup. Our local BB (93955 zip code) had a sign by the PS3's saying "20% discount on BluRay players includes PS3's". The folks at the register had to call the guy from the department up to verify, but the discount off of $400 list was given. Of course I ended up spending $25 for the bluetooth remote.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #389 of 17008 Old 01-30-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I just want the BEST possible sound out of my HT.

What would be my best (most affordable) BLU RAY Player that would give me what I want when cominbed a reciever that can decode EVERYTHING.

Is there a new player that just sends out all of the formats in "undecoded" audio?

ps3....??

Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews

post #390 of 17008 Old 01-30-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post

The offer is already over. It was only a weekend promotion from the 25-29th

Thanks for the info but it's funny why I didn't get one.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page