OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 139 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4141 of 16856 Old 01-28-2009, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the panny BD-30 but I see a great deal on the Pio-BD-51. Would this be a upgrade for my setup or should I wait for the newer models in April? Looking for people that have both units opinions. I bitstream my audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 16856 Old 01-28-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I looked high and low across 3 different states at Sears to get a 2500 when they had it on sale for $249 recently. I could not find one. I ended up getting a Panasonic BD35 at Costco for $229 + two free BD movies.

IMHO, the 2500/2550 offers the best bang for buck of any BD player out right now.

That is unfortunate. Did you consider BB? I know my local store has some in stock so maybe you could order online and have it delivered?
post #4143 of 16856 Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copr View Post

So I'm looking into buying a Blu-ray player and am having a difficult time selecting the right model. Here is the setup I will have:

Samsung LN46A650
Time Warner HD Box

Everything will be hooked up with HDMI cables. I don't have an audio system, and I don't plan on buying one either. This will most likely be used to simply watch Blu Rays/DVD's and maybe in the future it will be used to watch the movies off of Netflix.
With all of this said, what Blu-ray player would you suggest for my usage?

I've looked at the reviews on Cnet.com, and the comments on this site, and the following players seem pretty nice:

Samsung BD-P2550 or BD-P2500
Panasonic DMP-BD35

Would one of these be my best option? I like the idea of the Samsung, since my television is that brand, but the Panasonic gets really great reviews as well. All suggestions are appreciated.

The Panasonic is almost impossible to get, you already have a Samsung set, the Samsung players are available at better prices than ever, and they also have better upconversion and streaming Netflix built in.

No-brainer, I think.
post #4144 of 16856 Old 01-28-2009, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by princeton3 View Post

That is unfortunate. Did you consider BB? I know my local store has some in stock so maybe you could order online and have it delivered?

Only Sears was offering the $249 deal on the 2500. I believe Best Buy's price on the 2550 was $349 at the time and that was more than I was willing to spend.
post #4145 of 16856 Old 01-28-2009, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by az1698 View Post

I found this blu ray player for cheap. BD-P1400 Bluray Player
I was wondering how it is? Its profile 1.0, but it has ethernet. Can it be updated to the latest firmware? Will it play all the BD movies I get? Thanks, I need to know asap b/c the deal won't be around for long

Read the 1400 owners thread and proceed with caution... I personally would not buy this player unless it was under $99.
post #4146 of 16856 Old 01-29-2009, 03:41 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINIGUY View Post

I have the panny BD-30 but I see a great deal on the Pio-BD-51. Would this be a upgrade for my setup or should I wait for the newer models in April? Looking for people that have both units opinions. I bitstream my audio.

I see no reason for you to replace your BD30.
post #4147 of 16856 Old 01-29-2009, 05:39 AM

Which of these models would be the "best" choice? What I would like is for it to have the following:

1.) Stability in performance
2.) Great picture when it comes to upconversion (and blu-ray of course...)
3.) At least a 5.1 digital output
4.) Ability to upgrade via ethernet (though I wouldn't ever do the "on-line" stuff, just upgrading any firmwares)

Now for the models:

1.) Insignia NS-2BRDVD
2.) Samsung BD-P1500
3.) Sharp AQUOS BD-HP21U
4.) Sony BDP-S350
5.) Philips BDP7200

Which one should I go with? I need to get it at Best Buy since I have a load of gift cards ($250) there to use... That's why I'm limited to these models.

THANKS!
post #4148 of 16856 Old 01-29-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potsofclay View Post

Which of these models would be the "best" choice? What I would like is for it to have the following:

1.) Stability in performance
2.) Great picture when it comes to upconversion (and blu-ray of course...)
3.) At least a 5.1 digital output
4.) Ability to upgrade via ethernet (though I wouldn't ever do the "on-line" stuff, just upgrading any firmwares)

Now for the models:

1.) Insignia NS-2BRDVD
2.) Samsung BD-P1500
3.) Sharp AQUOS BD-HP21U
4.) Sony BDP-S350
5.) Philips BDP7200

Which one should I go with? I need to get it at Best Buy since I have a load of gift cards ($250) there to use... That's why I'm limited to these models.

THANKS!

All Blu-ray players have 5.1 or 7.1 digital output. If you mean analog output, then you need to look at other options.

Among those, I would consider the Samsung BD-P1500 or the Sony BDP-S350. Both are profile 2.0, both can stream all HD audio codecs. The others are all profile 1.1

Cnet rates the video performance (both blu-ray and DVD upscaling) of the Sony better than the Samsung.

-Carl Samos
------------
My Movie Theater
post #4149 of 16856 Old 01-30-2009, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I am entertaining the thought of buying an additional blu-ray player, mostly what id like from it is top notch dvd upconversion and excellent redbook cd playback. Though being that my current player is my first I don't really have any idea how much better it can get.
No question I chose an excellent player for my first, a Panasonic BD-30 , its been excellent..ive had it about 5 months now.

Pioneer Elite, Denon ...the upcoming Oppo ?? (though I suppose not much can be said about Oppo since it aint out yet)

I am willing to spend a grand , however it has to be an incredible performer if I go that high. I got my bd-30 for almost nothing.

Id appreciate some feedback.

thanks.
post #4150 of 16856 Old 01-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Back in December, I too was tossing up between the PS3 and a standalone.

I started a couple of threads, and got some interesting responses...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=75318

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-r...35-vs-ps3.html

In the end, I got a PS3.
For the record, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.

Why?

* Fast as hell.
* Love the optional Bluetooth remote, and not having to aim it at the machine.
* Love the slot loading drive and operation. You just put in a disc, and the machine turns itself on.
* Love that there's no front LED display to cast light into a darkened theatre room.
* Love the info/bitrate meter that pops up when you hit the Display button.
* Love the PS3's menu and GUI.
* Love the frequent updates.
* Love having a machine that won't get discontinued next year.
* Love the flexibility of having a games machine / web browser / photo viewer / media server / etc.
* The largest user base of any Blu player.
* Many friends have PS3s, so games can be lent around. We can bring our controllers round to each other's places for the odd gaming night!
* Couldn't care less that it doesn't bitstream HD audio. It's best done in the player anyway (for interactive features, etc).
* Upscaling (on a 90" 1080p projector screen) could be very slightly sharper, but it's still basically up there with the best. It's very clean and smooth, and compares well to the Toshiba HD-EP10 or the HQV scaler built in to my Benq W5000 projector.
* Am completely unconvinced that a standalone can offer superior Blu-ray PQ over HDMI - unless it's employing some sort of "enhancement" of its own.

Having said all this... I still recommend the Panasonic BD-35 to many friends and colleagues!!

Why?

* Many folks just don't want or need anything more than a simple, cheap, solid unit that plays discs and nothing more.
* Slim, more rack-friendly - You can put it anywhere.
* The PS3 is an awkward shape, a fingerprint magnet, and downright hideous to some people.
* No chance of them having issues with heat, noise or power consumption.
* Already comes with an excellent remote.
* SD card reader to play back your AVCHD handycam footage
* Decodes DTS-MA, unlike the similarly-priced Sony 350.
* Panasonics have a brilliant track record for DVD playback quality and compatability.
* It comes DVD region-free out of the box (in Australia, at least).
post #4151 of 16856 Old 01-31-2009, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

I currently have a PS3 in my movie room downstairs and love.

The issue we're having is that with my wife pregnant and having a toddler in the house we don't always get down there and sometimes we're just tired and would like to watch a movie in bed.

I'm looking to buy the cheapest players that will play a BR and DVD via HDMI on my 720P Sony RPTV.

Again, I'd like to spend as little as possible as this won't get tons of use but will be nice to keep those netflix BR movies rolling so I'm not losing money there.

Any suggestions on a decent players. Again audio is not an issue as we just use the TV Speakers in the bedroom.

I'm now Neutral
-
Our Crimson Cinema
post #4152 of 16856 Old 01-31-2009, 08:22 AM

I have a Toshiba HD 35 HD player and many, many hd movies...and it works well. I have no Blu Ray player.

I would like to purchase on in the near future. I want all the codecs to be bitsrteamed as a minimum, i have an onkyo receiver that can decode. I dont need analog outs, I have HDMI all the way etc..

I would like the best SD upconversion and very good 2 ch stereo....

When we looked at Blu ray the load times made my wife falls asleep and she loved the HD quality of the HD stuff, but now that thats dead she still thinks blu ray has a long way to catch up in the basic on , load to a movie etc...God help you if you want to search or stop and rewind etc...

When I ask her if she wants to watch a movie, she tells me to get it going and i will be in there in 20 minutes!!

HELP!!

What is the blu ray player to get??

Alex
post #4153 of 16856 Old 01-31-2009, 09:52 AM

Long time lurker with permission from the Mrs. to upgrade our home theater to blueray here. I've been researching tons and my head is ready to explode! I have a Pio Elite 43" plasma 1080i about 10' from the couch where we like to watch movies. I have a 5 year old Pioneer A/V 5.1 Surround that does not have HDMI but the plasma does. So I guess I need a BD player with digital audio outs and connects via HDMI to the TV. I would love to stay with Pioneer but does it really matter since my TV is 1080i? I've been checking out the Pioneer 51/05 as well as the panny's, and Denons. The caveat is that I need to use Best Buy due to gift cards as well as the financing options. I would like to stay under $700. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Mitch
post #4154 of 16856 Old 01-31-2009, 10:28 AM
s44
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlavin00 View Post

I have a Pio Elite 43" plasma 1080i about 10' from the couch where we like to watch movies. I have a 5 year old Pioneer A/V 5.1 Surround that does not have HDMI but the plasma does. So I guess I need a BD player with digital audio outs and connects via HDMI to the TV. I would love to stay with Pioneer but does it really matter since my TV is 1080i? I've been checking out the Pioneer 51/05 as well as the panny's, and Denons. The caveat is that I need to use Best Buy due to gift cards as well as the financing options.

Actually, for best audio quality you need a player with *analog* audio outs, assuming your receiver has surround analog inputs. Non-HDMI digital limits you to lossy surround codecs.

You probably want the Sony S550, which is on sale there (at least at the Best Buy website) for a good price. This has full multichannel analog audio with all the codecs and a full range of speaker calibration options (since the multi inputs usually bypass the receiver's speaker processing).

Other options: Panasonic BD55 (similar but more expensive), Samsung P2550 (better upscaling, Netflix streaming, Pandora internet radio, but fewer speaker calibration options).

The Pioneer models are not only really expensive at Best Buy but lack decoding for one of the now fairly common lossless codecs -- DTS-MA.
post #4155 of 16856 Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 AM

Is the Sony S550 my best option to connect to my Halo C2 since the controller does not offer HDMI for the advance codecs?? Thanks
post #4156 of 16856 Old 01-31-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguana Grande View Post

Is the Sony S550 my best option to connect to my Halo C2 since the controller does not offer HDMI for the advance codecs?? Thanks

I am using the Sony S350 connected to my Parasound 2500u processor via digital coax for sound. The S350 does not have the 7.1 outputs. I am running the HDMI directly to the HDTV from the S350. The SQ sounds great with the digital coax. (you can also use the toslink output )I just wish I had bought the S550 so I could run the analog outs to the 5.1 inputs on the processor. At least with the S550 you could run it both ways and do a comparison.
post #4157 of 16856 Old 01-31-2009, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

No suggestions for cheaper decent quality players...(see my post above)?

I'm now Neutral
-
Our Crimson Cinema
post #4158 of 16856 Old 01-31-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'd say check the Sylvania/Magnavox, Memorex threads.
post #4159 of 16856 Old 01-31-2009, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the assist. I ended up ordering the Sony S550 and having it shipped from BB. Now does analog make that much better audio or will the optical be fine?
post #4160 of 16856 Old 01-31-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the assist. I ended up ordering the Sony S550 and having it shipped from BB. Now does analog make that much better audio or will the optical be fine?

It will depend on your setup. In my case, using the 7.1 analog outputs provides vastly superior sound in my theater.

-Carl Samos
------------
My Movie Theater
post #4161 of 16856 Old 01-31-2009, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

Does analog make that much better audio or will the optical be fine?

Lossless analog is certainly much better than legacy encodes on DVD. But, those same legacy tracks are less compressed on BD as well, meaning the optical output on BD is also much better than the optical output on DVD. Personally, in my room on my equipment, I have a hard time telling the difference between lossless and optical on BD. But, let your own ears be your guide.
post #4162 of 16856 Old 01-31-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post

Actually, for best audio quality you need a player with *analog* audio outs, assuming your receiver has surround analog inputs. Non-HDMI digital limits you to lossy surround codecs.

True. But, the lossy tracks are less compressed on BD than DVD and they sound great.

Quote:

You probably want the Sony S550, which is on sale there (at least at the Best Buy website) for a good price. This has full multichannel analog audio with all the codecs and a full range of speaker calibration options (since the multi inputs usually bypass the receiver's speaker processing).

Full range? There's a single fixed crossover at a level that Sony won't divulge. Some user testing suggests it's 120Hz. And, you can set distances. It's about the same functionality as the BD55, which has a 100Hz crossover, and better than the Samsung player.
post #4163 of 16856 Old 01-31-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Full range? There's a single fixed crossover at a level that Sony won't divulge. Some user testing suggests it's 120Hz. And, you can set distances. It's about the same functionality as the BD55, which has a 100Hz crossover, and better than the Samsung player.

I ended up with the S550 because it does have the best speaker configuration options of the 3 profile 2.0 players with 7.1 analog output. I posted this on the previous page, but here it is again.

The Samsung BD-P2500 only allows for setting each speaker's size (small or large), and nothing more. You have no control over their distances and levels.

The Panasonic DMP-BD55 has controls for each* speaker's size (small or large), delay time (distance) and level (front: -6dB to 0dB, center and surrounds: -12dB to 0dB, surround back*: no adjustment).

The Sony BDP-S550 has controls for each speaker's size (small or large), distance and level (-12dB to 0dB, 0.5dB increments).

None of them have adjustable crossovers. I plan on doing some of my own testing to determine the 550's crossover frequency.

-Carl Samos
------------
My Movie Theater
post #4164 of 16856 Old 01-31-2009, 09:08 PM

just saw it displayed at costco
post #4165 of 16856 Old 02-01-2009, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello all! I’m in the market to purchase a new Blu-ray player and wondering if there is a list that compares models that could help making a decision. Any help would be appreciated!
post #4166 of 16856 Old 02-01-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post

Hello all! I’m in the market to purchase a new Blu-ray player and wondering if there is a list that compares models that could help making a decision. Any help would be appreciated!

There are 2 comparison sticky threads you should look at.

The first is a list of each player with its specs and msrp:

Current Blu-Ray Player Specs and Comparisons

The second has a good chart comparing the audio capabilities of each player:

Bluray Player Audio Support Comparison Chart

-Carl Samos
------------
My Movie Theater
post #4167 of 16856 Old 02-01-2009, 09:30 AM

Which of these would you purchase?

Exclude preouts and all that jazz because I am about to purchase a new receiver as well.
post #4168 of 16856 Old 02-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

True. But, the lossy tracks are less compressed on BD than DVD and they sound great.

This may seem like a silly question, but can this be avoided? My receiver does all of this for me, and far better. The crossover is set at 60Hz, not 100 or 120, and since my surrounds all reproduce 60Hz, that seems like a great place to cut it off...

Likewise, my left and right speakers each reproduce down to 36Hz, so cutting them off at 100Hz seems like a big step backwards...

Since the receiver does not have HDMI, I do have to use the 7.1 analog outputs.

Joel
post #4169 of 16856 Old 02-01-2009, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks Carl! I was actually perusing one of the referenced sources when you provided the links. I'm about to purchase a 5308CI Receiver and a new BL player and I'm wondering which to purchase, as I don't know if I need all the upgrades. I do know I want one that supports 7.1 and I've been leaning towards the BDP-05FD. Any opinions would be appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamos View Post

There are 2 comparison sticky threads you should look at.

The first is a list of each player with its specs and msrp:

Current Blu-Ray Player Specs and Comparisons

The second has a good chart comparing the audio capabilities of each player:

Bluray Player Audio Support Comparison Chart

post #4170 of 16856 Old 02-01-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythrenegade View Post

This may seem like a silly question, but can this be avoided? My receiver does all of this for me, and far better. The crossover is set at 60Hz, not 100 or 120, and since my surrounds all reproduce 60Hz, that seems like a great place to cut it off...

Likewise, my left and right speakers each reproduce down to 36Hz, so cutting them off at 100Hz seems like a big step backwards...

Since the receiver does not have HDMI, I do have to use the 7.1 analog outputs.

Joel

It all depends on your receiver. My Yamaha receiver does no processing to the signals coming in from the 7.1 analog inputs, so the internal crossover, etc., don't come into play at all.

Which receiver do you have? Read through the manual on the 7.1 analog input section and see what it says about processing, bass management, etc.

-Carl Samos
------------
My Movie Theater
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page