OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 151 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4501 of 17007 Old 03-01-2009, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWis View Post

So does the PS3 do everything as well as the Sammy 2550/55 does?

Right now I'm looking at the Sammy 2550 and PS3...I want to make sure I get the best player for my setup (Kuro 60" and Onkyo 876 w/Reon chip).

Is the SD PQ on the PS3 just as good as the Sammy's?

That's the right question, because in performance terms that's the only area the Samsung might be better. I have only compared the PS3 to various Toshiba HD-DVD players (which are regarded as good to very good in this regard) and the PS3 is on the same level.

For BD performance, audio quality, and load times, the PS3 can't be beat. The issues with ergonomics, form factor, and remote controls are personal choice things.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 17007 Old 03-01-2009, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Right now I'm looking at the Sammy 2550 and PS3...I want to make sure I get the best player for my setup (Kuro 60" and Onkyo 876 w/Reon chip).

Samsung has noticeably superior sd dvd upconversion, can stream netflix, and stream pandora (if you opt for the 2550 at bestbuy). You can control it with universal remotes (the ps3 uses bluetooth).

The PS3 is faster loading and plays video games of course. You can buy movies on it as well and its wireless.

I think it depends on the use - if you just want it for blu ray and sd dvd playback, i recommend the samsung. If you might play a video game, the ps3 is a great choice. for nearly two years it was the best value running by a longshot.
post #4503 of 17007 Old 03-01-2009, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Samsung has noticeably superior sd dvd upconversion, can stream netflix, and stream pandora (if you opt for the 2550 at bestbuy). You can control it with universal remotes (the ps3 uses bluetooth).

The PS3 is faster loading and plays video games of course. You can buy movies on it as well and its wireless.

I think it depends on the use - if you just want it for blu ray and sd dvd playback, i recommend the samsung. If you might play a video game, the ps3 is a great choice. for nearly two years it was the best value running by a longshot.

also forgot to mention the samsung can decode hd audio codecs via anaolgue connections - the ps3 can only send via pcm via hdmi. If you do not have an hdmi receiver, i strongly recommend the samsung for hd audio codecs.
post #4504 of 17007 Old 03-01-2009, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a Yamaha YSP 4000 to go with a Pioneer Kuro 5020FD. I picked up a Pioneer BDP 51FD blue ray player with the TV in a combo deal with the TV. After doing some review, I'm now worried that the Pioneer player may not be the best combination to use with the Yamaha YSP. This player is still in an unopened box and can be returned easily. Should I go for a different player? Recommendations?

Thanks!
post #4505 of 17007 Old 03-01-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post

I just got a Yamaha YSP 4000 to go with a Pioneer Kuro 5020FD. I picked up a Pioneer BDP 51FD blue ray player with the TV in a combo deal with the TV. After doing some review, I'm now worried that the Pioneer player may not be the best combination to use with the Yamaha YSP. This player is still in an unopened box and can be returned easily. Should I go for a different player? Recommendations?

Why don't you think the 51FD will work well with your sound bar?
post #4506 of 17007 Old 03-01-2009, 03:44 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, but SD material could be scaled through your AVR anyway. (Still, there may be an issue with transmitting 480i over HDMI, so setting up your system to have the AVR de-interlace could involve a separate component connection.)
post #4507 of 17007 Old 03-01-2009, 03:57 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKfromLA View Post

I saw the list you made for best players under 350... could you think of a few for best players under $1k? I just want to see what I am missing out if I decided to step up... I would like to spend around $500, but I don't mind spending more if its worth it.... as I mentioned, this is going into a dedicated home theater with all high quality components...

If the "high quality components" include a new pre-pro or AVR that takes HDMI audio, then you won't get any improvement.

The only thing an expensive player could really offer is better analog outputs (DACs, other components, etc) with full speaker calibration options including crossover points. But that's only useful if you have an older, non-HDMI sound setup.
post #4508 of 17007 Old 03-01-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post

If the "high quality components" include a new pre-pro or AVR that takes HDMI audio, then you won't get any improvement.

The only thing an expensive player could really offer is better analog outputs (DACs, other components, etc) with full speaker calibration options including crossover points. But that's only useful if you have an older, non-HDMI sound setup.

yea I am buying a new pre/pro as well (onkyo 886 or integra 9.9)...
i was hoping the higher end players would have better scalers/sound quality/picture quality...

is there a consensus on which player is the BEST under 1k? Sound quality/picture quality and sd upconversion is HUGE to me..

Thanks!
post #4509 of 17007 Old 03-01-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:

yea I am buying a new pre/pro as well (onkyo 886 or integra 9.9)...
i was hoping the higher end players would have better scalers/sound quality/picture quality...

is there a consensus on which player is the BEST under 1k? Sound quality/picture quality and sd upconversion is HUGE to me..

Thanks!

I don't know about a consensus, but I just picked up a Pioneer bdp-51fd from 6ave for $266 shipped. All reports are the SD upconversion rivals the Reon's in the samsungs.

I had a PS3 and to me, the PS3 SD upconversion was just ok. I also have a panny BD55 and it does ok also, but not what I recall my friends XA2 doing with SD DVD's.
post #4510 of 17007 Old 03-01-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:

also forgot to mention the samsung can decode hd audio codecs via anaolgue connections - the ps3 can only send via pcm via hdmi. If you do not have an hdmi receiver, i strongly recommend the samsung for hd audio codecs.

Thanks everyone, I sincerely appreciate the info (I've read this thread and am still learning a lot, so thanks for answering my questions).

My AVR does HDMI (Onkyo 876 used w/60" Kuro), I just want to make sure I get the best player for the money. Right now I'm leaning towards the Sammy 2550 since it seems it has better PQ, but I'm still considering the PS3 and open to other suggestions since I don't want to sacrafice quality in any way, especially for sound.

Which has better sound, 2550 or PS3?? Any other suggestions/advice is always welcome...
post #4511 of 17007 Old 03-01-2009, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:

Which has better sound, 2550 or PS3?? Any other suggestions/advice is always welcome...

There will be no audible difference between the two with your receiver.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #4512 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 06:58 AM

Thanks to Dougri and others who posted info on the various players in the $350 price point range. I went with the Samsung BD-P2550 yesterday. It's funny because I was looking to buy a $200-250 player like the sold-out Panny 35k and figured if I spent close to $400 then I would just get a PS3 for all the added features vs a stand-alone player. I went with the Samsung for a few reasons-- Reon chip for top video quality on existing DVD library, streaming Netflix, and IR remote will be easier than PS3 bluetooth to my old but beloved MX500 remote. Oh yeah and I finally got rid of a bunch of Best Buy gift cards (otherwise, I'd saved a bunch and gone with the 2500 at Amazon). And I will admit that Pandora through my DVD/BD player is pretty cool so that is a nice plus.

I'm a big Panasonic fan (plasma TV and DVD player) but their mostly out of stock status since New Years and my impatience drove me to a competitor.
post #4513 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Why don't you think the 51FD will work well with your sound bar?

I was told by a local "expert" that it has to do with this players inability to do something via "bitstream", and that the YSP 4000 can only reproduce 5.1 surround by this method from a blue ray player. Sorry, I'm no expert, don't really understand the terminology, and can't give you more to go on.
Thanks for any help!
post #4514 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post

I was told by a local "expert" that it has to do with this players inability to do something via "bitstream", and that the YSP 4000 can only reproduce 5.1 surround by this method from a blue ray player. Sorry, I'm no expert, don't really understand the terminology, and can't give you more to go on.

Bitstream means the soundtrack is encoded using a format such as Dolby Digital and DTS. A bitstreamed format has to be decoded by the YSP before it can be played. The 51FD can bitstream all formats, as can most current Blu-ray players. So, I'm doubtful about the advice your expert gave you.
post #4515 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Bitstream means the soundtrack is encoded using a format such as Dolby Digital and DTS. A bitstreamed format has to be decoded by the YSP before it can be played. The 51FD can bitstream all formats, as can most current Blu-ray players. So, I'm doubtful about the advice your expert gave you.

Thanks for the information. I thought the Pioneer should be a pretty good player. My local "expert" is actually a guy that installs home theater systems. He installed a system for me in the basement and it worked well, but I was setting up this system in my family room on my own. I've got a feeling he was not happy that I was asking advice, but not buying from him. Anyhow, you've put my mind at ease.
Thanks Again!
post #4516 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 10:29 AM

ok guys be gentle-am waiting delivery of my new samsung 61" 750a led dlp set and decided to purchase a blu ray player for it. i ordered the samsung 1500 from amazon and hope it will be ok for me. just want a blu-ray player-nothing fancy-i know most of you are really into all of this but i wanted a basic inexpensive player and this seemed to fit the bill for me. i have my hdmi cable from monoprice waiting-is this going to be ok for me, or did i make a huge mistake?
post #4517 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I would not get the 1500, it has a lot of issues playing newer Bluray movies (from my experience).

Gamertag:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4518 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 10:37 AM

not even for $150?
post #4519 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist View Post

I would not get the 1500, it has a lot of issues playing newer Bluray movies (from my experience).

does this hold true also for the 2550?
post #4520 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by labnpei View Post

not even for $150?

If it won't play movies what's the point? The 2550 is supposed to be pretty nice.

Gamertag:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4521 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 01:05 PM

Ok, I've tried wading through the thousands of posts discussing every minute detail of both the Sony-S550 and the Sammy 2550.

Based on specs, they are very similar, with a few minor variations.

I've read for a number of years that Samsung blu-ray players are crappy in the build quality, and customer service is a pig.

Have they turned the corner with the 2550?

The main question I have is whether or not the added benefit of Netflix & Pandora streaming outweighs the likelihood of quality control/customer service issues I'm likely to see buying a sammy blu-ray.

I have a Sony-550 in hand, which I picked up yesterday, and have not opened. I'm considering returning it for the 2550, mainly for the netflix option. I have a non-technical wife and a somewhat-impatient toddler who will be using whatever product I buy. The price is the same for both units, so that's a wash.

Can someone give me an analysis of whether I'd be better off with the Sammy or the Sony? I don't want a POS, but I would like the netflix option.

Suggestions?

cheers,
unconfirmed

PS: Display: Samsung HLP-5674W DLP
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V795a (DTS & DD) (circa 1998).
post #4522 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 01:56 PM

So I have been doing research for the past week on here and I thought I had it narrowed down to the Samsung 2500, but now I am not so sure, because my setup will require me to hook up the 5.1 analog channels into my older Onkyo AVR to get the new formats, but then I just read where the 2500 does not support individual speaker adjustments??

Does this make a huge difference?

And if so is there a better unit that decodes internally, same price range, same up conversion quality, and would work better for an older AVR with plans to update my receiver in a year or so to HDMI.

Thanks in advance for the help.
post #4523 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramus25 View Post

So I have been doing research for the past week on here and I thought I had it narrowed down to the Samsung 2500, but now I am not so sure, because my setup will require me to hook up the 5.1 analog channels into my older Onkyo AVR to get the new formats, but then I just read where the 2500 does not support individual speaker adjustments??

Does this make a huge difference?

The Samsung players don't have distance settings, which would matter if your speakers are significantly different distances from your listening position.

They also don't have output level controls. But, many people trim channel levels in their processors anyway. So, that's probably not important.

For bass management, all moderately priced players have fixed crossovers. Samsung is either 100Hz or 120Hz. (I don't remember which.) Samsung also has a bug requiring you to set all speakers to the same size on a 5.1 system. You can't set the fronts to large and the surrounds to small, for example.

At the end of the day, the Samsungs are about the same as other players in the same price range when it comes to analog speaker settings.
post #4524 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 04:22 PM

Why do most of the posts imply that the new models that will be coming out around April will not be as good as some of the current generation?

Are the specs already known for the new models? The Reon chip is supposedly missing from the Samsung, but could it have a replacement that is better?

Is it likely the players will be faster?
post #4525 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalkman View Post

Why do most of the posts imply that the new models that will be coming out around April will not be as good as some of the current generation?

Are the specs already known for the new models? The Reon chip is supposedly missing from the Samsung, but could it have a replacement that is better?

Is it likely the players will be faster?

The loss of the reon chip will likely not affect blu ray playback. sd upconversion is a different story - reon is one of the best upconverters. The biggest new features of the 1600/3600 will be wireless connections to the internet.

As for the LGs, the step up model - 3900 i believe - will also get wireless access (and maybe youtube). I was never impressed with sd upconversion on my lg bd300 (I did enjoy my bh200 with qdeo).

The panny 60/80 should be the same as the 35/55 with the addition of the ability to download movies from amazon. I fail to see the huge benefit of this considering most folks have this feature via their cable provider.

The new Pioneers are interesting - the 23fd and 320 have the same video chip as the 51fd/05fd, which i am impressed by. they did drop the wolfson dacs, which was one of their strongest selling pts. No one seems to have confirmed the video chip in the entry level 120. The addition of profile 2.0 appears to be only be beneficial to a small percentage of us (though firmare upgrades via internet will be nice). The lower profile will be a windfall for some of us with tight spaces and a neg in build quality for others.
post #4526 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I did fail to mention the Oppo, which of course is the hottest topic of the "season." It will retail for $500 to $600, so it's a bit pricier than some.
post #4527 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 06:38 PM

winston, so in conclusion, would you wait for the new players to come out? I am looking at the 51fd right now, but should i wait for the newer pioneers to come out? The new ones are within my price range as well, so is the oppo though..

btw, when is the oppo expected to ship?
post #4528 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

winston, so in conclusion, would you wait for the new players to come out? I am looking at the 51fd right now, but should i wait for the newer pioneers to come out? The new ones are within my price range as well, so is the oppo though..

btw, when is the oppo expected to ship?

oppo is allegedly due out end of month, but expect huge demand/backordering.

as for waiting versus buying now, the 51FD is the most ridiculous deal i have seen in a long time provided you do not have your heart set on added features like netflix streaming (then opt for 2500).

The 51FD is a great machine for pure playback. It has its quirks (slow loading, long layer changes on reg dvds, and cannot decode DTS HD master audio at this pt), but makes up for it on sd upconversion (only my samsung 2500 and onkyo hd dvd player can give it a run for its money).

At $270 or so it is a steal.
post #4529 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:

oppo is allegedly due out end of month, but expect huge demand/backordering.

as for waiting versus buying now, the 51FD is the most ridiculous deal i have seen in a long time provided you do not have your heart set on added features like netflix streaming (then opt for 2500).

The 51FD is a great machine for pure playback. It has its quirks (slow loading, long layer changes on reg dvds, and cannot decode DTS HD master audio at this pt), but makes up for it on sd upconversion (only my samsung 2500 and onkyo hd dvd player can give it a run for its money).

At $270 or so it is a steal.

the dts hd master audio should be available soon though via firmware update though, right? beside the streaming, does the 2500 do anything "better" than the pioneer? it does seem like a steal for sure, but I don't mind spending more for higher quality as its going into a "high end" dedicated theater....
post #4530 of 17007 Old 03-02-2009, 06:51 PM

BTW, is it generally better to use the upconversion through the blu ray player, or through the receiver? I am getting an onkyo pro 886 or marantz 8003, both have very advanced video processing...
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page