OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 16859 Old 02-17-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilK View Post

I have an IR to Blue-tooth dongle plugged into one USB port all the time, allowing me to use my universal 880 Harmony remote to control the PS3 while watching movies. It gives me full functionality, minus the ability to power up or down.

Where did you get this?
I have a Harmony 890 and would really like to use it for BD playback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 16859 Old 02-17-2008, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If they let me and if the long URL works ... The Nyko Blue Wave Remote . It's like $20 list, $13 at Amazon. If the link doesn't work, just search for "Nyko Blue Wave" and you'll find it. Once you get it, just program the Harmony adding a new Game Console (with DVD), Select the manufacturer "Nyko" from the drop-down list, and type in the sample it shows you "Blu-Wave" and you are ready to go ... that easy. Of course, you can program some screen buttons to make life easy. You can start out with what they are on the game remote, such as X, Square, Circle, Triangle, Red, Green, Yellow and Blue ... and then change the labels to what they actually do. Like Back instead of Circle, View instead of Square, Options instead of Triangle ... or leave them as such if you find the symbols easier as they match the game remote. And you can always name the activity and device as "Play PS3" or DVD, or whatever you prefer.

Enjoy!!

Afraid the link didn't work ... but you have the search term to use. I dressed it up and it appears to now. But again ... the search will find it at multiple sites.

Does the Nyko have a button that maps to the blue-tooth "Audio" button? I've found this works great to cycle through the different Audio Codecs in tandem with the display or "select" button. There is such a huge difference between DD5.1 & PCM.
post #453 of 16859 Old 02-17-2008, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Read post 448 right above yours

Neil from Southern California
post #454 of 16859 Old 02-17-2008, 11:20 AM

Ok, I've read through most of the 450 or so posts here and the majority pick the ps3 as the best bd player (wth??). I can't believe hd dvd lost to bd if that's the case. Anyways, it looks like the panny b30 may be the best bet, but that the b50 is in the works. Am I missing something here? I'd like pick one up this week to replace my toshiba that I returned last week. Thanks.
post #455 of 16859 Old 02-17-2008, 11:38 AM

Hello, so I also gather that the PS3 is the best bd player? I was looking to get a Sony S5oo for $599 at Circuit City to replace my useless Samsung 1200. My system includes a Denon 2808CI, a Samsung 1080p 50" plasma, and 5.1 speaker system.
Any suggestions for a great player for around $600?
Thanks in advance.
post #456 of 16859 Old 02-17-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneycat View Post

Ok, I've read through most of the 450 or so posts here and the majority pick the ps3 as the best bd player (wth??). I can't believe hd dvd lost to bd if that's the case. Anyways, it looks like the panny b30 may be the best bet, but that the b50 is in the works. Am I missing something here? I'd like pick one up this week to replace my toshiba that I returned last week. Thanks.

I can only compare the PS3 against the 3 Toshiba players I had, upgrading as the prices dropped. I can't compare it against other BD players as I haven't tried any. The PS3 boots up much faster than any of the Toshiba's, by a mile. And it loads DVD's much faster as well, another long wait after booting with the Toshiba's.

What I don't understand is why you can't believe HD-DVD won out and why you think a game console can't be the best player? "pick the ps3 as the best bd player (wth??). " Why is this such a bad thing? It would seem to me more likely that Sony did a great job developing the PS3 if everyone loves it so much. Maybe that's why the XBox360 beat the PS3 to the shelves ... Microsoft figured they'd add the HD-DVD support later and did not base their games on HD-DVD. Is there something wrong with a game console also being a great BD player? After all, the games it was designed to play are also on Blu-ray disks. So the whole system is based on Blu-ray. I say Kudos to Sony for doing a great job, not (wth??). Of course, that's JMHO

post #457 of 16859 Old 02-17-2008, 12:22 PM

Actually Neil, there is nothing wrong w/ the ps3 being a "good" bd player. Instead it shows how crummy the standalones must be at the same price point. I would expect something that is dedicated to one task to be the better performer. Plus I don't care to game. I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding why the standalones are having so many probs competing against a gaming console.
post #458 of 16859 Old 02-17-2008, 12:46 PM

I was hesitant too. I figured that if the cheapest stand alone BR player was $400 and the PS3 was $400 and played BR, the BR portion must be sub par. No reason to believe this, just dollars and sense. Everything I read says otherwise.
Mine is en route.
post #459 of 16859 Old 02-17-2008, 02:00 PM

Ok,

I am a HDMI/Blu-Ray noob - reading the posts here have gotten me closer to an answer but I didnt see anyone ask this question - prob because its an easy answer

I recently picked up a Panasonic PT-61LCZ70 61" 1080p LIFI set. Its has 3 1.3 HDMI connections on it.

I have an older 5.1 reciever that can handle Optical and Coaxial connections for Surround Sound.

The TV also has an 'optical out' port.

If I get a PS3 - will I be able to output 5.1 Surround Sound to my reciever? I keep reading that I will need an HDMI hookup to get this from the PS3 - well my TV has one - will it be able to output 5.1 via the optical out to my 5.1 system?

I see references to TOSLINK - my old reciever may have this, but I am not sure what this is - connection wise or not?

---------------------------------
Thanks,
Goochman
post #460 of 16859 Old 02-17-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goochmd View Post

Ok,

I am a HDMI/Blu-Ray noob - reading the posts here have gotten me closer to an answer but I didnt see anyone ask this question - prob because its an easy answer

I recently picked up a Panasonic PT-61LCZ70 61" 1080p LIFI set. Its has 3 1.3 HDMI connections on it.

I have an older 5.1 reciever that can handle Optical and Coaxial connections for Surround Sound.

The TV also has an 'optical out' port.

If I get a PS3 - will I be able to output 5.1 Surround Sound to my reciever? I keep reading that I will need an HDMI hookup to get this from the PS3 - well my TV has one - will it be able to output 5.1 via the optical out to my 5.1 system?

I see references to TOSLINK - my old reciever may have this, but I am not sure what this is - connection wise or not?

TOSLINK = optical

And unless you want to buy a new receiver that does everything via HDMI, I would hook your PS3 audio up via optical and make sure you set it to "Bitstream." This will get you Dolby Digital 5.1 (and I believe DTS 5.1).
post #461 of 16859 Old 02-17-2008, 02:58 PM

Agreed ... Toslink, aka Optical, to the AVR from the PS3 will give you the full compressed signal for the AVR to decode and send to all of your speakers. HDMI from the PS3 to your TV for the super video. The PS3 allows you to choose only one audio output, so the audio will only be going to the AVR via the optical connection as a full bitstream or compressed signal. I don't know about your TV, but I assume they are all similar in this respect ... the fanciest Sony's will accept the full decompressed audio signal over the HDMI connection, but will only pass on stereo via the optical out. To do otherwise, the TV would require an additional processor to be included that would compress the already processed sound back to bitstream to pass on to the AVR. The processed, or decompressed sound signals will not fit on the bandwidth of the optical cable.

If you had an HDMI AVR, you could choose between letting the PS3 or the AVR process the sound signal. I'm thinking that I would still prefer the AVR to do the processing ... if I had a quality AVR. If I had one of the lower cost AVR's with HDMI switching, I think it might be a toss-up between the PS3 or the AVR doing the processing. As sound processing is the main function of the AVR, I'd rather get a better quality one though and have it do what it is designed to do.

post #462 of 16859 Old 02-17-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

+1
And what is even more interesting is the fact that everyone used to harp on Toshiba for not having other manufacturers making HD-DVD players.
For Blu Ray, it appears, having all of those manufacturers making players has not done them any good!
They can knock HD-DVD players all they want for booting slow, but I have seen a few Blu Ray players booting up recent movies and Toshiba has nothing to be ashamed of.

And I give you that too as I have read reviews saying the same. But the PS3 is not that long in booting, nor in loading the DVD ... not as long as the Toshiba's took. The three Toshiba's I tried before Warner made its announcement, were almost to the point of frustrating waiting for them to first boot, and then waiting again as long for them to load the disk. It does take longer than old SD-DVD players of course. Both HD-DVD and Blu-ray are accomplished by software, an operating system, unlike the old days of SD-DVD using firmware on a chip rather than an actual operating system to process the video. The PS3 does take about 1/2 the time of the Toshiba's I experienced.

post #463 of 16859 Old 02-17-2008, 03:57 PM

Would someone please suggest a player for my Vizio 50" Plasma- P50HDTV?
post #464 of 16859 Old 02-17-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:

Agreed ... Toslink, aka Optical, to the AVR from the PS3 will give you the full compressed signal for the AVR to decode and send to all of your speakers. HDMI from the PS3 to your TV for the super video. The PS3 allows you to choose only one audio output, so the audio will only be going to the AVR via the optical connection as a full bitstream or compressed signal. I don't know about your TV, but I assume they are all similar in this respect ... the fanciest Sony's will accept the full decompressed audio signal over the HDMI connection, but will only pass on stereo via the optical out. To do otherwise, the TV would require an additional processor to be included that would compress the already processed sound back to bitstream to pass on to the AVR. The processed, or decompressed sound signals will not fit on the bandwidth of the optical cable.

If you had an HDMI AVR, you could choose between letting the PS3 or the AVR process the sound signal. I'm thinking that I would still prefer the AVR to do the processing ... if I had a quality AVR. If I had one of the lower cost AVR's with HDMI switching, I think it might be a toss-up between the PS3 or the AVR doing the processing. As sound processing is the main function of the AVR, I'd rather get a better quality one though and have it do what it is designed to do.

oland - thx for the info - I was about to pull the triiger on a refurb Onkyo TX-SR705 and if I can get some milage out of my older AVR I will do that

NeilK - Im 99% sure the TV only does Stereo out of any 'audio out' as you mentioned - since most TV manufacturers figure we'll buy seperate AVR, no reason to handle the full signal

Thanks for the input - helped clarify alot!

---------------------------------
Thanks,
Goochman
post #465 of 16859 Old 02-17-2008, 09:14 PM

Liked: 11
hello, i have a Harman Kardon avr7200 receiver. its non hdmi but has 8 ch direct inputs in the rear. does this mean if i get a blueray player that decodes all audio codecs internally(to pass PCM?) and has analog outs i can take FULL advantage of ALL these new HD audio formats?

the bd50 will do this? any others?

thank you.
post #466 of 16859 Old 02-18-2008, 04:49 AM

Dear Expert friends,

Now that the dust on the format war is almost sure to settle with HD DVd's future getting clearer, I have decided to settle for a Blu-Ray.

My config. is ONKYO 605,SONY BRAVIA KDL46W2000,. I am very interested in having a BR player with excellent capabilities of upconversion of Old DVDs. Picture quality for me is very important in addition to good quality sound. Should be good with CDs as well. Sometime in future soon I may buy a Pana projector 1080p capable as well.

I do not intend to play any games at all.

Can anybody suggest the best Br player in the market capable of catering to my needs.?

Thanks a ton
post #467 of 16859 Old 02-18-2008, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb33 View Post

I was hesitant too. I figured that if the cheapest stand alone BR player was $400 and the PS3 was $400 and played BR, the BR portion must be sub par. No reason to believe this, just dollars and sense. Everything I read says otherwise.
Mine is en route.

Remember that the nature of the game console business is to lose money (usually a LOT of money right out of the gate) on the consoles in the first several years they are out. Sony makes the profit on the PS3 on their share of each game sold for the console. Wholesale price on game consoles is just a fraction below retail as well (margin for the retail folks is also in the games).

I think it is only recently that Sony has gotten the manufacturing costs of the PS3 down far enough that they are starting to make a little money on each console.

In absolute terms, game console are spectacular value (hardware wise).

The exception to the above is the Wii, which Nintendo makes a profit on from day one.

With the PS3, you're getting a heavily subsidized piece of hardware that has phenomenal compute performance, letting a lot of things happen in software. Flip side is that Sony is the only company that can make the R&D experience to update/enhance the software, since it is a closed platform.
post #468 of 16859 Old 02-18-2008, 08:48 AM

Hello everyone, I think I have now decided on getting a blu ray but I'm still confused about a few things after reading through this forum. It sounds like the PS3 is a good bet though. But I guess it doesn't decode the DTS HD or DTS HD-MA track yet. Is this something that will be included in a later firmware update? Is it also true that the PS3 will have an update to be BD 2.0?

Also, I have a older yamaha 5.1 receiver that doesn't have HDMI inputs on it. Should I just upgrade to a receiver with HDMI inputs? and should I maybe get a receiver with the dolby HD and DTS HD decoding on it? my tv only has a toslink output and no HDMI outs on it. it's my understanding that the ps3 can only decode the dolby HD and not bitstream the signal?

as you can see, I have no idea what to do here with my equipment. I would like to get the HD audio signals, so I guess that would mean I would have to upgrade my receiver anyway? and should I maybe wait to get a ps3 or blu ray player for the time being? any help would be appreciated with this!!
post #469 of 16859 Old 02-18-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlouZbee View Post

hello, i have a Harman Kardon avr7200 receiver. its non hdmi but has 8 ch direct inputs in the rear. does this mean if i get a blueray player that decodes all audio codecs internally(to pass PCM?) and has analog outs i can take FULL advantage of ALL these new HD audio formats?

the bd50 will do this? any others?

thank you.

this has all your answers: http://www.idoblu.co.uk/page2%20Blu-ray%20Players.html
post #470 of 16859 Old 02-18-2008, 12:59 PM

What do you guys think about the denon blue ray players? are they worth the hefty price?
post #471 of 16859 Old 02-18-2008, 01:54 PM

Now that the 'war' is over, I'm looking at getting a BD player. Currently leaning towards the PS3, although I hear good things about the Panny and Sharp. I don't have an HDMI receiver, not sure what I 'lose or gain' by going with the PS3 that does not have analog outs as I DO have the inputs for the receiver.

50A2000
Integra DTR 5.5
Def Tech 7002's, CLR 2500, BPX surrounds
post #472 of 16859 Old 02-18-2008, 03:13 PM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'm waiting for Oppo releasing a BR player. Must be coming next year.
post #473 of 16859 Old 02-19-2008, 02:31 AM

Can anyone help me pick a blu ray player? I'm waiting for around the summer period, anywhere between June and August maybe, so hopefully I can get a 1.1 player for a fair price. I live in the UK BTW if that is going to make any difference.

A list of the things I want:

Profile 1.1: I don't need 2.0 because my player will not be connected to the internet.

1080p.

Also, my HDDVD player is at the moment connected to my reciever using an optical cable so I can't get lossless or any of the new audio. Am I right to think that I can't get lossless without a HDMI reciever, or is there a player in the future that can get lossless by using the optical output?

Thanks.
post #474 of 16859 Old 02-19-2008, 08:23 AM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The main problem with the PS3 is it is way too loud compared with a standalone player.

jcg

Quote:

I can only compare the PS3 against the 3 Toshiba players I had, upgrading as the prices dropped. I can't compare it against other BD players as I haven't tried any. The PS3 boots up much faster than any of the Toshiba's, by a mile. And it loads DVD's much faster as well, another long wait after booting with the Toshiba's.

What I don't understand is why you can't believe HD-DVD won out and why you think a game console can't be the best player? "pick the ps3 as the best bd player (wth??). " Why is this such a bad thing? It would seem to me more likely that Sony did a great job developing the PS3 if everyone loves it so much. Maybe that's why the XBox360 beat the PS3 to the shelves ... Microsoft figured they'd add the HD-DVD support later and did not base their games on HD-DVD. Is there something wrong with a game console also being a great BD player? After all, the games it was designed to play are also on Blu-ray disks. So the whole system is based on Blu-ray. I say Kudos to Sony for doing a great job, not (wth??). Of course, that's JMHO

post #475 of 16859 Old 02-19-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantanu View Post

Dear Expert friends,

Now that the dust on the format war is almost sure to settle with HD DVd's future getting clearer, I have decided to settle for a Blu-Ray.

My config. is ONKYO 605,SONY BRAVIA KDL46W2000,. I am very interested in having a BR player with excellent capabilities of upconversion of Old DVDs. Picture quality for me is very important in addition to good quality sound. Should be good with CDs as well. Sometime in future soon I may buy a Pana projector 1080p capable as well.

I do not intend to play any games at all.

Can anybody suggest the best Br player in the market capable of catering to my needs.?

Thanks a ton

If up-conversion is of importance to you I would suggest the Samsung 1400. You'll also be able to bitream TrueHD and DTS-HD MA to your Onkyo 605.
post #476 of 16859 Old 02-19-2008, 10:22 AM

Have decided to go with PS3... I'm a light gamer and would mostly use it as a BR player. Given this, what performance advantage is there between the 80GB v 40 GB?
post #477 of 16859 Old 02-19-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonoe View Post

Have decided to go with PS3... I'm a light gamer and would mostly use it as a BR player. Given this, what performance advantage is there between the 80GB v 40 GB?

Performance-wise, no difference. You get an extra 40GB of storage room for downloading those free demos. And it gives you more room for storage of your own music and pictures. The biggest difference is that the 80GB unit has 4 USB 2.0 ports as opposed to the 2 on the 40. USB ports can be useful for an external hard drive for both storage and backup purposes. They can also hold a USB dongle for an IR to Bluetooth remote if you wanted to use a regular universal remote when watching flix. And they can also be used charging more than one game remote, should you buy extra's and want to charge them at the same time. I charge mine on my computer usually as that's on more than off. The USB port can also be used with USB Flash drives to read and store data.

Another advantage is that the 80GB unit has multiple card readers built in, the 40 doesn't have a card reader at all. So you can pop your camera memory card right into the 80GB PS3 to read or copy pictures from it, or use a flash memory card to transfer sounds or pictures to the PS3. Also, the 80GB is software compatible with they say about 85% of PS2 games, the 40GB is not compatible at all. That is good if you have the older PS2. For the most part though, if you don't already have PS2 games ... you won't want to use them as the PS3 games are so much better graphics-wise. I did borrow a few of my son's PS2 games to try ... and there is no comparison.

post #478 of 16859 Old 02-19-2008, 12:03 PM

I have a Samsung 1080P LCD with an older Sony 5.1 system that has fiber input, does anyone know if the Samsung-BD1400 output 5.1 on all of my SD DVDs and BR discs?
post #479 of 16859 Old 02-19-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOgden View Post

I have a Samsung 1080P LCD with an older Sony 5.1 system that has fiber input, does anyone know if the Samsung-BD1400 output 5.1 on all of my SD DVDs and BR discs?

Yes
post #480 of 16859 Old 02-19-2008, 01:00 PM

NeilK, thanks for the explanation... sounds like the 'extras' are worth the $100!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page