OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 16808 Old 02-19-2008, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilK View Post

Performance-wise, no difference. You get an extra 40GB of storage room for downloading those free demos. And it gives you more room for storage of your own music and pictures. The biggest difference is that the 80GB unit has 4 USB 2.0 ports as opposed to the 2 on the 40. USB ports can be useful for an external hard drive for both storage and backup purposes. They can also hold a USB dongle for an IR to Bluetooth remote if you wanted to use a regular universal remote when watching flix. And they can also be used charging more than one game remote, should you buy extra's and want to charge them at the same time. I charge mine on my computer usually as that's on more than off. The USB port can also be used with USB Flash drives to read and store data.

Another advantage is that the 80GB unit has multiple card readers built in, the 40 doesn't have a card reader at all. So you can pop your camera memory card right into the 80GB PS3 to read or copy pictures from it, or use a flash memory card to transfer sounds or pictures to the PS3. Also, the 80GB is software compatible with they say about 85% of PS2 games, the 40GB is not compatible at all. That is good if you have the older PS2. For the most part though, if you don't already have PS2 games ... you won't want to use them as the PS3 games are so much better graphics-wise. I did borrow a few of my son's PS2 games to try ... and there is no comparison.

I keep reading that the 40GB model uses newer chips and runs much cooler than all the other models. Is this not true ? I am also ready to get one of these. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 16808 Old 02-19-2008, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssampath View Post

I keep reading that the 40GB model uses newer chips and runs much cooler than all the other models. Is this not true ? I am also ready to get one of these. Thanks!

This is true, but it also removes all ps2 backwards compatibility and SACD support. Here's a link with more info on the differences: http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Ab...b&LCTN=LP_40GB

There is also a ps3 faq thread for those interested in the details of the ps3.

-Splints
post #483 of 16808 Old 02-19-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genkai Haretsu View Post

Can anyone help me pick a blu ray player? I'm waiting for around the summer period, anywhere between June and August maybe, so hopefully I can get a 1.1 player for a fair price. I live in the UK BTW if that is going to make any difference.

A list of the things I want:

Profile 1.1: I don't need 2.0 because my player will not be connected to the internet.

1080p.

Also, my HDDVD player is at the moment connected to my reciever using an optical cable so I can't get lossless or any of the new audio. Am I right to think that I can't get lossless without a HDMI reciever, or is there a player in the future that can get lossless by using the optical output?

Thanks.

The ps3 is a pretty good bargain at this time since you will continue to get firmware updates. Hard to say what's going to happen by summer, but the ps3 has been pretty good overall. The one drawback for you would be whether or not you want to put up with the BT remote or if your ok with the Nyko USB solution (no on/off capabilities).

You won't be able to get lossless audio without a HDMI receiver, correct.

-Splints
post #484 of 16808 Old 02-19-2008, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssampath View Post

I do not know about the chips used, so cannot answer that. As for running much cooler ... my wife read that the 40 runs quieter as well. I don't hear the fan, especially when watching a movie, yet she was more sensitive to it and said she could hear it during quiet moments of the movie. So we returned the first 80GB and picked up a 40 instead. She could hear no difference fan-wise and it didn't really feel any different heat-wise. Now we do have the PS3 on an open shelf stand, so perhaps we are not building up heat as would be the case in a closed environment. However, we did go back to the 80GB unit for the extras it offers, especially the 2 more USB ports, as we could detect no difference noise-wise or heat-wise.

Neil from Southern California
post #485 of 16808 Old 02-19-2008, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok Guys I am currently looking to get a real great player that will be able to be hooked up via the Analog Outs to my Yamaha rxv1400 receiver via the analog multichannel inputs... Which Players will be able to decode all the newest available DD and Dts formats and be able to send them to my receiver via the analogs multi in of my receiver...Looking also for great picture performance...
post #486 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 04:31 AM

I'm new in this game of HD

Last night got the PS3 40g. Looks amazing. Sits like a regular player on the shelf. Found my Internet signal and upgraded itself right away.
My only hassle will be the learning curve of its menu. Right now it seems a bit much.
post #487 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

can anyone help me
post #488 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

It looks as if the only real short term option for me is to get the PS3. Does anyone know if the Harmony remotes will control the DVD functions of the PS3?

Bomber

It's never over, it's never finished....it's never cheap.

MY HT --> Show AVS Gallery Images
post #489 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bomber View Post

It looks as if the only real short term option for me is to get the PS3. Does anyone know if the Harmony remotes will control the DVD functions of the PS3?

Bomber

Yes, I use my Harmony 880 with my entire setup, including PS3 to control movies. You have to get an IR to Bluetooth USB dongle. There are a few of them. The cheapest runs about $14 at Amazon, the Nyko BlueWave. You'll find directions a couple of pages back in this thread for setting it up in the Harmony program.

post #490 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I am just learning about all this myself. Having posted similar questions here, the recommendations were that I need to wait for the Panasonic BD-50 as it will be the first player to have analog outs (7.1 it is believed) and have internal decoding for all the current HD audio formats. I have a high end receiver with 7.1 analog ins and this is what I am waiting for. The PS3 has no analog outs and the other BR decks currently don't have all the decoding internally. Seems that there would be high demand for these type players. I can't/won't afford replacing my $4200 receiver on a whim.
Pete
post #491 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

looked to me that everything but the ps3 has analog outputs ...
I'm interested in the bd-50 slated for oct release , but a reliable cheap for now player
seems hard to locate . bd-30 sounds pretty good , but would not call it inexpensive .
???

Bob

keep at it , results are worth it !!
post #492 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy13 View Post

Ok Guys I am currently looking to get a real great player that will be able to be hooked up via the Analog Outs to my Yamaha rxv1400 receiver via the analog multichannel inputs... Which Players will be able to decode all the newest available DD and Dts formats and be able to send them to my receiver via the analogs multi in of my receiver...Looking also for great picture performance...

Look no further....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=analog
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=980672
post #493 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Thanks Donnie:

For those looking for advice on which player best fitst their needs, please use the "Help Me Find a BR Player" sticky at the top of this forum.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #494 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I think my needs are pretty basic, but I would like to know what others recommend for a BR player, with these minimum requirements:

-Want 6.1 or 7.1 capability via Optical/Toslink. (not forced 5.1). For both BR and SD-DVD. (Possible? I dont use HDMI for audio, only for video)
-Firmware upgradeable (ethernet or CD/DVD, dont care)
-IR Remote capable (PS3 out of the question here)
-SD-DVD upscaling comparable to the Toshiba A3 or better. Not worse.
-24 fps is a nice bonus, since my PJ supports it.

Thanks.

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #495 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

I think my needs are pretty basic, but I would like to know what others recommend for a BR player, with these minimum requirements:

-Want 6.1 or 7.1 capability via Optical/Toslink. (not forced 5.1). For both BR and SD-DVD. (Possible? I dont use HDMI for audio, only for video)

Thanks.

Don't you mean analog? Which receiver or pre/pro are you using?
post #496 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I have an old 7.1 Pioneer receiver, without HDMI. SO, I normally pull a Toslink from my player to the receiver. In my current setup, I can get 7.1 (actually 6.1 because rear channel is mono). I would like to maintain this 'feature', for the few discs that support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Eldridge View Post

Don't you mean analog? Which receiver or pre/pro are you using?

post #497 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

Thanks.

The first request is not technically possible (for lossless) as I understand it, this is a bandwidth limitation to toslink, not a spec problem. HDMI is the only way to get lossless 6.1/7.1 audio. If you want lossy, bitstreamming will probably work.

Sounds like the upcoming Panny BD50 (with a fixed LFE hopefully) would be the best bet. If you got the cash, maybe the new Denon's would be good as well.

-Splints
post #498 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
"Help Me Find a BR Player" sticky at the top of this forum.

rboster I think that is this thread.
post #499 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post

The first request is not technically possible (for lossless) as I understand it, this is a bandwidth limitation to toslink, not a spec problem. If you want lossy, bitstreamming will probably work.

Sounds like the upcoming Panny BD50 (with a fixed LFE hopefully) would be the best bet. If you got the cash, maybe the new Denon's would be good as well.

-Splints

Actually this is backwards. It's spec limited, not bandwidth limited.
post #500 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't really mind if it is lossy... it's what I get now anyway... I have been doing 5.1 and 7.1 via Toslink for years now with this receiver, and dont want to lose that ability (specifically 7.1). Dont care for TrueHD etc as my receiver will not decode.

I am thinking of the BDP-S300 which is the entry level Sony player. Damn, these things are still crazy expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post

The first request is not technically possible (for lossless) as I understand it, this is a bandwidth limitation to toslink, not a spec problem. HDMI is the only way to get lossless 6.1/7.1 audio. If you want lossy, bitstreamming will probably work.

-Splints

post #501 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Eldridge View Post

Actually this is backwards. It's spec limited, not bandwidth limited.

The following is copied from Wikipedia. Though not a definitive source, the information below is consistent across the web. I'm not sure what spec you are referring to, but Toslink, a.k.a. Optical, does have a bandwidth limitation.

Type: Optical digital audio connector
Production history
Designer: Toshiba
Designed: 1983
Manufacturer: Toshiba
Produced: 1983 to present

Specifications
Hot pluggable: Yes
External: Yes
Audio signal: Digital audio bitstream.
Originally limited to 48 kHz at 20 bits. Extended to support all modern formats, except Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD and DTS HD audio streams.

Width: 32 bit audio packets
Bandwidth: Originally 3.1 Mbit/s;
Now 125 Mbit/s
Max devices: 1
Protocol: Serial
Cable: Fibre optic (10 meters max)
Pins: 1
Connector: JIS F05 (JIS C5974-1993 F05)

And by the way ... that extreme light blue you selected for highlighting .. ouch!!! that is hard on the eyes to read

post #502 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilK View Post

And by the way ... that extreme light blue you selected for highlighting .. ouch!!! that is hard on the eyes to read

That's so nobody knows what I'm responding to.

Thanks for the link.
post #503 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

we could use a tier system for all the differant blu-ray players ...
Panasonic the better ones?
Will look up buying guides ..., the forum has so much posts to sift through ....

post #504 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 06:05 PM

Hey Neil, or anybody, I just got my 40GB today and I wondered if the USB hub I want install has to be powered or not?
post #505 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb33 View Post

Hey Neil, or anybody, I just got my 40GB today and I wondered if the USB hub I want install has to be powered or not?

I'm not sure what the specs are on the USB ports, however, as they are used to charge the controller, I would suspect they would also provide power to another USB device. Of course, it also depends on the device you are going to use and how much power it requires as well. For a hard drive, USB external, I would go with a powered hard drive to start with. You are talking a motor to run the drive, plus the functions of the drive. A drive with its own power supply would most likely be more efficient, and faster, to start with. For another controller to be plugged in, or a USB Flash Drive/memory stick, I would think an unpowered USB hub would be sufficient. The Six-Axis controller only needs to be plugged in to be charged. It can be charged plugged into your computer or laptop just as well. In fact, having a plugged in laptop near you, you can still be a ways back from the PS3 and TV and still be playing and charging at the same time if the batteries ran low on you, I believe. But again, I do not have nor can find specs on the USB ports on the PS3, but am just going by my general computer knowledge and experience.

post #506 of 16808 Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

ok guys need ur help here...I will be looking to buy a blue ray player within the next 4 months....Now my price tag is about 1000 or less...
Now my current equipment I have is a yamaha rxv1400 which only does dts or dd via optical or coaxial... in this case I would need a Blue ray player does decode all the newest formats and can send them via analog to my yamaha receiver....I figure this would make for better sound than my regular sd dvd dd or dts....Now I have heard that many blue ray players have the lfe bug.. So what I need out of a player is 1. decodes all of the newest formats or at least most of them...2. it cannot have the lfe bug,3. must provide outstanding pq which means it better have a great processor and 4 it must cost under 1000 bucks..

My current equipment is Yamaha rxv 1400 Paradigm monitor series speakers 5.1 hsu sub, Sony 52 xbr 5.....

My order of most important features are 1a. Pq 1.b Decode most or all of the newest audio fomats via analogs 2. no lfe bug 3. cost under 1000 bucks...
will be shopping within 4 months...
post #507 of 16808 Old 02-21-2008, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy13 View Post

ok guys need ur help here...I will be looking to buy a blue ray player within the next 4 months....Now my price tag is about 1000 or less...
Now my current equipment I have is a yamaha rxv1400 which only does dts or dd via optical or coaxial... in this case I would need a Blue ray player does decode all the newest formats and can send them via analog to my yamaha receiver....I figure this would make for better sound than my regular sd dvd dd or dts....Now I have heard that many blue ray players have the lfe bug.. So what I need out of a player is 1. decodes all of the newest formats or at least most of them...2. it cannot have the lfe bug,3. must provide outstanding pq which means it better have a great processor and 4 it must cost under 1000 bucks..

My current equipment is Yamaha rxv 1400 Paradigm monitor series speakers 5.1 hsu sub, Sony 52 xbr 5.....

My order of most important features are 1a. Pq 1.b Decode most or all of the newest audio fomats via analogs 2. no lfe bug 3. cost under 1000 bucks...
will be shopping within 4 months...

This is a bit of an exaggeration. Only the Denon 2500BTCI and Panny BD10/BD30 models have the LFE bug.
post #508 of 16808 Old 02-21-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

ok im still waiting to see peoples opinion on what blue player i should be looking at or waiting for
post #509 of 16808 Old 02-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

From what I can tell so far , The Panasonic Bd-50 is going to be a main unit to look at ..
Oct release ...
I notice a sticky on comparisons , to look at ...
What would be helpfull is to have the better playing units weeded out of the ones that seem to have issues.
What would be the top five to look into would help...
Thanks
Bob

post #510 of 16808 Old 02-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Another way to ask ...
I just bought spiderman colection , Terminator 2, Total recall , Stargate , And loking at Pirates colection.
What machine would I wait for or get now thats reliable to watch these on ??
Say a group of up to 10 , and not the ps3 as I would like the annalog outs..
Other than that the ps3 sounds like an excelent player ...Not knocking it ...
Thanks again
Bob

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page