AVS Forum banner
3M views 20K replies 5K participants last post by  cullam 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
[mod note] If you start a new thread asking for advice on buying a new BD player and the thread is merged into this thread, go to the end of thread and your original post should be there, maybe back a few posts. And you may already have some input. [/mod note]

I need help. Which bluray player is the best regardless of price thats not a major concern for me i just want the best bluray player in you opinion. Thank you i really need help with this one cause i have no knowledge of this subject

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by froteur /forum/post/12685627

i like my ps3 (and i'm not a gamer -- haven't even opened up the game that came with it).

i have a toshiba a3 too

Same here, exactly the same.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin /forum/post/12687177

I assume that it can be oriented horizontally in an equipment rack? How loud is it in comparison to a standalone Blu-ray player?

Is there any Blu-ray player that has comparable features to the Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD player?

Yes, it can be oriented vertically. Others have found that it can be loud when the fan is required to work hard. My 80G has never been loud at all, but I don't play games, just watch movies.

There is not perfect player. It is all about compromises in one form or another.

#24 ·
I'm new to the HD thing..bought a panny plasma and a old yamaha receiver that decodes dolby digital and dts..I only have a 5.1 setup..can I still use this BD player? Will it send dts or dolby digital signals thru coax or optical to my receiver and HMDI to my plasma (I don't have HDMI 1.3)? Thanks.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skule /forum/post/12688997

I'm new to the HD thing..bought a panny plasma and a old yamaha receiver that decodes dolby digital and dts..I only have a 5.1 setup..can I still use this BD player? Will it send dts or dolby digital signals thru coax or optical to my receiver and HMDI to my plasma (I don't have HDMI 1.3)? Thanks.

Every BD player that I know of should allow you to bitstream Dolby Digital or DTS in 5.1 over coaxial/optical cables just like DVD players used to. (except the bitrates can be higher than DVD)

#33 ·
If you have a HDMI 1.3 A/V receiver capable of decoding TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, then I would recommend the Panasonic BD30K.

Otherwise, I would wait.

I don't think you'll have to wait long, see the CES announcements next week.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan /forum/post/12684273

The Panasonic DMP-BD30 is the best stand-alone BD player out there at the moment. You can check the thread for details but here is a summary of its features:

* bitstreams all of the latest audio formats (inlcuding TRUE HD and DTS MA) which will work very nicely with your Onkyo doing the decoding

* Excellent 1080P BD PQ (nothing better IMO and I own three different BD players)

* DVD upsaling is competent - not the best upscaling BD on the market which is the Samsung BD-P1200 (already discontinued and having lots of problems with BD and DVD playback requiring FW updates)

* BD30 has played everything I've put into it with no issues

* Can be had for close to $400 right now. Wait a month or two and it will probably drop more.

Good luck in your search.

The BD30 is the WORST player for anyone without HDMI 1.3 unfortunately.

#38 ·
I would discourage anyone from getting the PS3 because it does not support DTS-HD/MA, either bitstreaming or via internal decoding. And all of the Fox Blu-Ray lossless titles use DTS-HD/MA. Lots of people are willing to tell you that it will be eventually supported, but the PS3 hardware cannot handle bitstreaming, and any talk of internal decoding support is just speculation - Sony is totally silent on this.

#39 ·
I currently own an A2 and a Sammy 5000. I haven't been happy with the sammy for many reasons found in the owners thread. Up until today I was set to pick up an A35 and BD30 to bitstream everything to my Integra 9.8.

In light of the WB move and CES next week, I'm going to hold onto the Samsung and hope for firmware audio fixes. The BD30 can never be profile 2.0 due to no ethernet port and if it doesn't output 1080p/24fps that's another strike.

If Samsung comes through with bitstream support it can "almost" be profile 2.0. It doesn't have the 1gb local storage but there are ways around that with the network connection.

So unless you NEED a BR player right now I'd wait until profile 2.0 players at CES or Samsung to publish some info on their firmware plans.

#40 ·
Because of the Warner announcement, I'm looking for a Blu-ray player, too.

Reading this thread, the Panasonic DMP-BD30 sounds like the one I want to get. But does it have any odd quirks that might surprise me - what I mean an odd quirk is something like this: I was reading the thread on the Samsung BDP1400 and somebody mentioned that if you pause it for more that a few minutes the screen saver will come on, but shortly afterwards it will stop without remembering where you paused. Then, in order to resume watching, you have to start from the beginning and find where you were when you paused. For me, this would be very inconvenient.