OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 17007 Old 03-21-2008, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all -Thinking about purchasing a ps3 as a BR player. (the bd-50 is in the running as well - if it'll ever decide to show up ) I have an older Onkyo AR 5.1 with no HDMI inputs (only analog and optical) and a pio 5010 -questions

Can the ps3 play Blue Ray roms/recordables? I know the games are on blue ray discs, and the ps3 can play DVD-+R, but can it play (BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE) as well?

thoughts on which would be better, the PS3 or BD50, for my system

pio 5010
onkyo txsr500
infinity 5.1

I think there is more BANG for the buck on the PS3 - thoughts?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 17007 Old 03-21-2008, 09:50 AM

I'm going to settle on a PS3 until the market settles down, then sell it and get a standalone. I can't get HR audio but hey, its something to look forward to.

One thing i need to know, if I put a 4:3 dvd into the PS3 (I have a lot of music dvds like this) can I change a setting that allows it to fill the whole screen? My Toshiba HD-E1 does this.

Thankyou

EDIT: Sorry, I thought this was the PS3 thread, i'll repost over there.
post #723 of 17007 Old 03-21-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

3Damin8er, If you have analog inputs, you'll be able to get the new lossless audio codecs w/ the BD50, otherwise its toslink audio for you w/ either one, which will still be better audio w/ BD than it is on DVD.
PS3 is a huge bang for buck, many cool features as a media center, and of course gaming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #724 of 17007 Old 03-21-2008, 10:23 AM

Hi All

I bought the Samsung BD-P1400 yesterday and loaded the latest Firmware onto it 1.5 (latest for Australia). I have had problems with it though right from the first play.

Firstly, the load times are really quite slow. I understand that BR is new technology, etc. But it seemed 'unusually' slow.

Secondly, when I returned later to watch another dvd, i switched it on and the LOAD icon came up on the display and then nothing....it just hung there for 10mins. I tried switching it on and off. I pulled all the cords out and reapplied them...nothing! Finally on about the 10th time it worked. (This has happened to me 3 times in the 36hrs I've had the player).

Thirdly, I have quite a few standard dvds from other regions, which the player will not play bcos of it being region locked.

So I feel like I'm at the cross roads now....do i take it back and get a PS3 (which I've heard is pretty good), or do i keep the Samsung and with fingers crossed hope it sorts out the issues in due course.

Additional Info: I have an older Yahama receiver with only has optical sound inputs (No HD sound). And I have a Samsung 40' Full HD 'F'series HDTV.

Your help would be great!!!
post #725 of 17007 Old 03-21-2008, 10:36 AM

PS: I probably should also mention that I got a special deal with the Samsung, so I'll have to pay an extra $300 for the PS3. So thats another factor I'll need to consider!
post #726 of 17007 Old 03-21-2008, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

3Damin8er,

PS3 is a huge bank for buck, course gaming.

Yea, it's ALSO a good BANG for the buck !
post #727 of 17007 Old 03-21-2008, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the reply rr330i,

Yea my toss up now is

#1 - do I go with the bd50 and get lossless audio?

#2 - sacrifice that (until I ever decide to get a new AR) get player, media center, and gaming consol for a lil less money.

PS3 just seems like a better deal :/

anyone know if it can play burned blue ray's? i.e. I author a Blue Ray on my computer from HD cam to BD-R will it work on ps3?
post #728 of 17007 Old 03-21-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Danim8r View Post

Yea my toss up now is

#1 - do I go with the bd50 and get lossless audio?

#2 - sacrifice that (until I ever decide to get a new AR) get player, media center, and gaming consol for a lil less money.

anyone know if it can play burned blue ray's? i.e. I author a Blue Ray on my computer from HD cam to BD-R will it work on ps3?

IMO, the audio is as good or better than the sound(hd experience only )
I have my X360 doing my media center work, i find i never use it. So hard for me to justify that end, as well as the gaming side too.
I know the PS3 cannot bitstream lossless codecs due to hardware limitations, but who is to say that sony wont come out w/ a change to a high end unit to allow that? Although they wouldn't need to is it can send them LPCM(future for DTSMA).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #729 of 17007 Old 03-21-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahk View Post

PS: I probably should also mention that I got a special deal with the Samsung, so I'll have to pay an extra $300 for the PS3. So thats another factor I'll need to consider!

Cheap as it might be - the problems aren't worth it. I had and returned the Samsung 1400 and got the Panasonic BD30 instead and LOVE it. I don't do games much and already have a Wii, so I didn't consider the PS3.
post #730 of 17007 Old 03-21-2008, 03:26 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahk View Post

Which do I Choose Samsung BD-P1400 (problematic) or PS3?

I bought a BD-UP5000 that was a total POS. I returned it and got a 40 GB PS3. To sum up the PS3 with one word: "Fabulous!"

I am so happy with my PS3, since I have (2) HDTVs, I plan to give the BDP-S550 a serious look when it comes out.
post #731 of 17007 Old 03-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

If they find out you updated the firmware, they might not take it back.
post #732 of 17007 Old 03-21-2008, 04:10 PM

I was debating these two players myself for the last few weeks. After much reading, I finally decided on the PS3 which arrived today.

After owning 2 HD DVD players, I'm now officially purple! (don't know if it really counts as I waited until HD was dead to get the Blu player)
post #733 of 17007 Old 03-21-2008, 04:18 PM

This is a no-brainer, dump the Samsung and get a PS3, it's well worth the extra expense and you won't have to worry about slow load times or bad performance.
post #734 of 17007 Old 03-21-2008, 07:53 PM

Hey man. I've got a Samsung BD-P1400 and it works great. I use the 5.1 analog outputs for sound and it's amazing. Like you, I bought into HD DVD and have amassed more than 60 titles. Once I heard the Warner announcement, I knew it was over and started to plan for a Blu-ray player. After picking up the Sammy, I updated the firmware and watched many movies. I couldn't be happier. The only thing you get with the PS3 is the ability to upgrade to profile 2.0. This doesn't bother me much since I care not for PiP or web-enabled features.

In the end, the BD-P1400 is cheaper (I got one for about $280 on Amazon) and produces the same stunning picture, and has more sound options. It will sit next to my Toshiba HD-A1 for quite a long time.
post #735 of 17007 Old 03-21-2008, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The 1400 is a decent machine, but Samsung's firmware upgrades leave a lot to be desired.
post #736 of 17007 Old 03-21-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian View Post

Which one should I get?

Fellas!!
I have an Onkyo 705 and also panny bd10a but the bd10a could not bitstream (not even a firmware update) and the upcoming bd50 I am confused. If all I want is to bitstream advanced audio codecs like truhd and DTS HD MA should I go with BD30 or BD50? My budget is tight. Will I do just fine with bd30 in terms of bitsreaming. Does bd30 bitstream up to 7.1 dts hd ma?

I don't see myself using the ethernet, all I wan't is to watch the movie from start to finish with nice PQ and AQ. That's all, don't need extra features.

Thanks
Peter

With the BD30, if you want to watch special features or commentaries (which use "secondary audio", you have to stop the disc, go to the player setup menu and go through menus to turn ON secondary audio. Then if you want to go back and watch the bitstreamed movie, you have to go through the whole process over and then start the disc from the beginning again. If you don't mind the hassle or don't ever watch special features, then the BD30 might be for you, otherwise wait for the BD50.

I also have the Onkyo 705 and was on my way to buy the BD30 at the Best Buy sale, when at the last hour found out about this secondary audio issue. It was a deal breaker. I will hold out for the BD50.

My dedicated home theater with an ancient Egyptian theme:
post #737 of 17007 Old 03-22-2008, 09:52 AM

I realize that this is going to sound blasphemous, but I DO NOT have any plans to go multichannel, and DO NOT use an A/V Receiver (and don't want one). However, with my very good 2-channel stereo rig doing double-duty playing movies, I do want the best picture and sound that I can get (BD and DVD). For my limited needs, what Blu-Ray player is currently my best choice?
post #738 of 17007 Old 03-22-2008, 09:56 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melville View Post

I realize that this is going to sound blasphemous, but i DO NOT have any plans to go multichannel, and DO NOT use an A/V Receiver (and don't want one). However, with my very good 2-channel stereo rig doing double-duty playing movies, I do want the best picture and sound that I can get (BD and DVD). For my limited needs, what Blu-Ray player is currently my best choice?

PS3
post #739 of 17007 Old 03-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know some will consider me crazy-but even after I read all the posts on the BD-P1200 I just got one and am as happy as a pig in a pigstie-I got it for the superior dvd playback it offers, not the fact that it's a Bluray machine-I was gonna get an HD-XA2-but they are still to expensive.
post #740 of 17007 Old 03-23-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post

I know some will consider me crazy-but even after I read all the posts on the BD-P1200 I just got one and am as happy as a pig in a pigstie-I got it for the superior dvd playback it offers, not the fact that it's a Bluray machine-I was gonna get an HD-XA2-but they are still to expensive.

Why not get an Oppo Upscaling DVD player then? I'm not sure how the Sammy is a better option, but as long as your happy!

-Splints
post #741 of 17007 Old 03-23-2008, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melville View Post

I realize that this is going to sound blasphemous, but I DO NOT have any plans to go multichannel, and DO NOT use an A/V Receiver (and don't want one). However, with my very good 2-channel stereo rig doing double-duty playing movies, I do want the best picture and sound that I can get (BD and DVD). For my limited needs, what Blu-Ray player is currently my best choice?

ps3 and you'll get two channel analog audio, or 2 channel pcm (via HDMI). None of the codecs (even DD and DTS) will make much a difference in this case, so even the most basic player works, but the ps3' future compatibility (BD-Live) and other features make it the best bang for the buck.

-Splints
post #742 of 17007 Old 03-23-2008, 02:56 PM

Liked: 13
I guess with the profile 2.0 being added to the PS3 (with the next announce update) there is still no compelling reason to by a stand alone like a BDP-S350 over the PS3. Do I have that right?

I have a Denon 2801 that decodes DTS (I think up to the 1.5Mb/s). So the PS3 not doing DTS-MA is the only real audio drawback when the 2801 ultimately gets replaced sometime down the road??

Thanks

post #743 of 17007 Old 03-23-2008, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Since HD-DVD is out of buisness is it really true that Blu-Ray prices which had started to go down have reversed course and are inching upwards?
post #744 of 17007 Old 03-23-2008, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post

I guess with the profile 2.0 being added to the PS3 (with the next announce update) there is still no compelling reason to by a stand alone like a BDP-S350 over the PS3. Do I have that right?

I have a Denon 2801 that decodes DTS (I think up to the 1.5Mb/s). So the PS3 not doing DTS-MA is the only real audio drawback when the 2801 ultimately gets replaced sometime down the road??

The PS3/Denon 2801 combination leaves you of of luck for all lossless audio, not just dts-MA. Your receiver has 5.1 analog inputs and needs to be paired with a player that can decode TrueHD and sent multichannel PCM over analog. Unfortunately, the PS3 lacks analog outputs. With the PS3 you are limited to legacy DD and DTS, although you can get them at the maximum bit rates (640 kbps for DD and 1.5 mbps for DTS).

EDIT (To correct a factual error): Yes, both the Sony S350 and PS3 lack dts-MA decoding. The S350 is better for you because of the analog outputs. Other newly announced players such as the S550 and the Panasonic BD50 will have dts-MA decoders as well, which may make them a better fit for your equipment.

Profile 1.1 and 2.0 are not related to any of these audio issues.
post #745 of 17007 Old 03-23-2008, 04:40 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

The PS3/Denon 2801 combination leaves you of of luck for all lossless audio, not just dts-MA. Your receiver has 5.1 analog inputs and needs to be paired with a player that can decode TrueHD and sent multichannel PCM over analog. Unfortunately, the PS3 lacks analog outputs. With the PS3 you are limited to legacy DD and DTS, although you can get them at the maximum bit rates (640 kbps for DD and 1.5 mbps for DTS).

The new Sony S350 is also not a good match for your receiver. The S350 cannot decode the new codecs. To get lossless audio from the S350, you will need a receiver with HDMI 1.3 and decoders for TrueHD and dts-MA.

Profile 1.1 and 2.0 are not related to any of these audio issues. If you want lossless audio, you will need a player like the Sony S550 or Panasonic BD50 that can decode all of the new codecs and send them over multichannel analog.

Thanks BIslander. I did recognize that the 2801 had pretty severe audio limitations, but I did not really think about external decoding of lossless 5.1. (I had never really noticed the Analog inputs on the back of the Denon since I had always used TOSLINK inputs.) I had equated TrueHD and dts-MA only with 7 channel lossless. So, there is benefit in lossless decoded and being fed to 5.1 analog ins? (Adding the other 2 surrounds is really going to be a pain given the physical set up of my room and the cathederal ceilings).

post #746 of 17007 Old 03-23-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post

Thanks BIslander. I did recognize that the 2801 had pretty severe audio limitations, but I did not really think about external decoding of lossless 5.1. (I had never really noticed the Analog inputs on the back of the Denon since I had always used TOSLINK inputs.) I had equated TrueHD and dts-MA only with 7 channel lossless. So, there is benefit in lossless decoded and being fed to 5.1 analog ins? (Adding the other 2 surrounds is really going to be a pain given the physical set up of my room and the cathederal ceilings).

The rear channels are a minor part of the new formats. Movies are mixed in 5.1 and very few are re-mixed for 7.1 on disc. The big improvement is the quality of the audio. Dolby Digital and DTS are "lossy" codecs developed to squeeze movie sound tracks onto the films themselves or companion CDs. There isn't much room for sound and a good deal of the original recording has to be discarded in the squeezing process. The large size of Blu-ray discs allows for exact copies of the studio masters. BDs have uncompressed PCM tracks and/or lossless TrueHD or dts-MA copies.

Toslink lacks the bandwidth for these larger, lossless tracks. The lossy DD and DTS versions are the best you can get over toslink connections. For space reasons on regular DVDs, the DD and DTS tracks are rarely encoded at the maximum bit rates allowed by the formats. But, with Blu-ray, the maximum rates are generally used. So, even without lossless, you should get better sound quality on a Blu-ray disc over toslink.

Your receiver is fully capable of handling lossless audio. It has to be decoded and converted to analog in the player before being sent to your receiver for amplification. That's the problem with the PS3. It doesn't have analog outputs and can only send lossless multichannel audio over HDMI.
post #747 of 17007 Old 03-24-2008, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

The new Sony S350 is also not a good match for your receiver. The S350 cannot decode the new codecs. To get lossless audio from the S350, you will need a receiver with HDMI 1.3 and decoders for TrueHD and dts-MA.

The Sony S350 can decode all but DTS-MA, only bistream it.
See attached link.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=980672

post #748 of 17007 Old 03-24-2008, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

The Sony S350 can decode all but DTS-MA, only bistream it.

You are quite correct. Thanks. I edited my previous post to fix the mistake.
post #749 of 17007 Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 AM

Is there one BR Disc player that can output 24 frame video and decode TrueHD & DTS-HD MA?

Thanks,
Albert
post #750 of 17007 Old 03-25-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Danim8r View Post

well I guess this answers my question....in case any one out there was also curious...

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/03/25...-20-ps3-updat/
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page