OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 16941 Old 04-03-2008, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS24 View Post

...I would like to have one with the following.

True HD decoding bitstream
A Excellent upscaler for SDDVD's
1080p

I have a Toshiba XA2 so something that might be comparable to that would be great.

Why do you care about upscaling if you already have the HD-XA2? Your TV has an excellent de-interlacer/scaler so you could just go with the BD-30 since it has a 480i option over HDMI that you could use with DVD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 16941 Old 04-04-2008, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sly View Post

I am a little more optimistic about the BD50 release. Where I pre-ordered it they expect it in by late April or early May. That is only one month, not 3-6 months. Hope it comes true.

Tim, i hope in your case this linked post is incorrect. See post #1344.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post13556414
post #813 of 16941 Old 04-04-2008, 10:30 AM

I have just bought a PS3 for the BD. I played David Glimours Remember That Night DVD on it and it upconverted to 1080p. I went out and bought the same on Blu-Ray and it will only go to 1080i while playing the movie the menus show as 1080p.
Confused
post #814 of 16941 Old 04-05-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

Tim, i hope in your case this linked post is incorrect. See post #1344.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post13556414

As I posted there:

"I wouldn't put much stock in a CS rep from Panasonic. They are usually the last to know and usually misinform the customers.

I will still go with what Visual Apex told me about my pre-order for the BD50. They get them directly from the manufacturer and they were told that they would receive a shipment of them by late April or early May. Why would the make that up and sell Pre-orders? I'm still hoping that by May you won't be able to pry this unit out of my cold, dead hands! (even if I have to pay MSRP)
On the Help a Guy Choose a BR Player thread Duffinator said he had this April/May date confirmed by two venders.

They had a BD50 on display at CES in January, why would they still be working on finalizing it? Hopefully they are pumping them through the factories as we speak! You can view this unit on video on Youtube."

My dedicated home theater with an ancient Egyptian theme: http://myweb.arvig.net/sly/
post #815 of 16941 Old 04-05-2008, 12:43 PM

I was asking about this on a different forum so I figured I would ask the same here:

I need a BD player and have a older receiver with 5.1 analog inputs only so I need one that has 5.1 outputs and internal decoding of True HD and DTS-HD (MA while I would love to have it is not a priority).

I have it down to the BD10 and 1400, I almost pulled the trigger on a refurb 1400 the other day but still scares me that so many people have had problems with them, I know the BD10 is a better player but since it is discontinued I am worried that they will not be offering firmware anymore for it. I would love to wait for a BD50 but is BD-live worth an extra few hundred dollars ??
post #816 of 16941 Old 04-05-2008, 12:57 PM

Chalk me up as a PS3 fan. I connect to my Denon receiver via HDMI, so the audio is fine with me. It is a great DVD player, and once you get used to using the game remote, it works fine. We're not big gamers, but once you play "Rock Band" on a 102-inch screen, you'll be a convert! Blockbuster needs to stock more BluRay titles, but they're working on it. PS3 rocks!

Rob Meldrum
post #817 of 16941 Old 04-06-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvinny View Post

I was asking about this on a different forum so I figured I would ask the same here:

I need a BD player and have a older receiver with 5.1 analog inputs only so I need one that has 5.1 outputs and internal decoding of True HD and DTS-HD (MA while I would love to have it is not a priority).

I have it down to the BD10 and 1400, I almost pulled the trigger on a refurb 1400 the other day but still scares me that so many people have had problems with them, I know the BD10 is a better player but since it is discontinued I am worried that they will not be offering firmware anymore for it. I would love to wait for a BD50 but is BD-live worth an extra few hundred dollars ??

The BD10 is a better overall player than the 1400. One thing to keep in mind is that neither offer DTS-HD MA decoding and never will.
post #818 of 16941 Old 04-06-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmeldrum View Post

Chalk me up as a PS3 fan. I connect to my Denon receiver via HDMI, so the audio is fine with me. It is a great DVD player, and once you get used to using the game remote, it works fine. We're not big gamers, but once you play "Rock Band" on a 102-inch screen, you'll be a convert! Blockbuster needs to stock more BluRay titles, but they're working on it. PS3 rocks!

Buy the remote for the bd its well worth the money.
post #819 of 16941 Old 04-06-2008, 05:13 PM

And NOW I am TRULY confused. I too fell into buying an HD DVD player. But here's my dilemma....

I am totally redoing my setup. My setup will most likely be....

Onkyo TSXR 805 but still looking at a Denon!
Denon 2910 (pretty much the only thing Im keeping)
Toshiba HD-A3
Definitive Pro Speakers (right now running 5.1 but probably going to 7.1)

I was planning to buy the Panasonic BD30K but after hearing that it doesnt decode all the new codecs, I started thinking about waiting for the Sony 550. the system is pretty much only used for watching movies.

I guess the question is should I wait or just go ahead and take the plunge....

Where you come from - Is gone. Where you thought you were going - Was never there. And where you are, aint no good unless you can get away from it.
post #820 of 16941 Old 04-06-2008, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo9710 View Post

With an Onkyo 805, you do not need a player that can decode all of the new codecs, just one that can bitstream them. The BD30 fits the bill for bitstreaming. The only thing you will be forgoing is lossless audio on advanced content features such as PIP commentary.
post #821 of 16941 Old 04-06-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo9710 View Post

And NOW I am TRULY confused. I too fell into buying an HD DVD player. But here's my dilemma....

I am totally redoing my setup. My setup will most likely be....

Onkyo TSXR 805 but still looking at a Denon!
Denon 2910 (pretty much the only thing Im keeping)
Toshiba HD-A3
Definitive Pro Speakers (right now running 5.1 but probably going to 7.1)

I was planning to buy the Panasonic BD30K but after hearing that it doesnt decode all the new codecs, I started thinking about waiting for the Sony 550. the system is pretty much only used for watching movies.

Or the Panny 50!

Where you come from - Is gone. Where you thought you were going - Was never there. And where you are, aint no good unless you can get away from it.
post #822 of 16941 Old 04-06-2008, 10:02 PM

Hi All,

I'm a newbie...

I have a Sony 720p 50" professional series plasma. Currently, I have only a progressive scan DVD player and would like an Blu Ray player (w/upscaling for regular DVDs).

My TV only has component inputs (the HDMI interface would cost another $125). So, Is there a player out there that will send HD content over component cables that rivals the quality of HDMI? Keep in mind I have a 720p TV.

I was looking at the Sony Bdp-300...

Thanks!!
Tom
post #823 of 16941 Old 04-06-2008, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Clayton View Post

My TV only has component inputs (the HDMI interface would cost another $125). So, Is there a player out there that will send HD content over component cables that rivals the quality of HDMI? Keep in mind I have a 720p TV.

They all output HD over component. But, they can't upscale DVD over component because of copy restrictions. Upscaling is limited to an HDMI connection. Considering the generally poor reviews BD players get for upscaling, that probably doesn't matter much. Your Panasonic set likely will do as good a job as the current group of BD players.
post #824 of 16941 Old 04-06-2008, 11:20 PM

Thanks!

"BD player" = Bdp-300? (What's BD stand for?)

Is my Panasonic already upscaling my DVD's to 720p?

If so, do you think a Blu-Ray player (w/ Blu Ray movies) would look better than std format since my TV's already upscaling to the highest resolution (720p).

Thanks again!
Tom
post #825 of 16941 Old 04-07-2008, 04:10 AM

Quote:

If so, do you think a Blu-Ray player (w/ Blu Ray movies) would look better than std format since my TV's already upscaling to the highest resolution (720p).

It will look a million times better. Upscaling can't create information that isn't in the original.
post #826 of 16941 Old 04-07-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!

"BD player" = Bdp-300? (What's BD stand for?)

Is my Panasonic already upscaling my DVD's to 720p?

BD = Blu-ray Disc.

Your set has to upscale in order to make 480i material from a disc display on your set. But, that doesn't make the content HD. Genuine HD content will look much, much, much better.
post #827 of 16941 Old 04-07-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post

snip and I like the BD-30 VERY MUCH. Did the firmware update. But yea, the SD upconversion is...well...underwhelming (not "bad"). snip

does this mean a SD DVD played on a BD-30 will look considerably worse than on my XA1?

i am very impressed with the quality of the XA1 with standard DVDs compared to my older DVD player. the sound, color gradients and saturation, sharpness, and blacks are impressive.

but i am starting to think of replacing my XA1 with a blu-ray. i will not have two players, so the blu-ray has to look stellar with SD DVDs. the PS3 isnt an option as i need fully decoded analog audio outputs.

will the BD-50 be better than the BD-30 with SD DVDs? (not everything is available in HD/blu-ray yet so we watch a lot of regular DVDs) thanks, james
post #828 of 16941 Old 04-08-2008, 07:32 AM

So now that Blue-ray has one I am finally ready to buy. But so many options!
I have a 1080p Sharp LCD but my tuner is a 7 year old Sony. I know I need to upgrade it but that will have to wait I think. I need a player that will do 5.1 analog out. I was looking at the BD-30 since I don't care about 'Live' stuff. But with it's upconvert issues and the big collection of dvds I have I would probably want the BD player AND a nicer upconverting player. Is there a decent player that does both for not much more? Even the BD-30 seems really expensive. Is there anything else I should be looking at?
I have been looking at a super nice LCD with a weak video source for way too long but I don't want to spend a grand on hardware that will not last. It sounds like the BD-50 will not be that much better for upconverting but it might be worth it to wait and see.
Opinions?
post #829 of 16941 Old 04-08-2008, 07:36 AM

As long as I have been asking. Upconvert... I have been just letting my TV do it. How much better would it be for me to get a player just to play my old disks upconverted and what should I be looking for? Is there one at that is a good deal? Maybe a HD player on clearance?
post #830 of 16941 Old 04-08-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonDJ View Post

So now that Blue-ray has one I am finally ready to buy. But so many options!
I have a 1080p Sharp LCD but my tuner is a 7 year old Sony. I know I need to upgrade it but that will have to wait I think. I need a player that will do 5.1 analog out. I was looking at the BD-30 since I don't care about 'Live' stuff. But with it's upconvert issues and the big collection of dvds I have I would probably want the BD player AND a nicer upconverting player. Is there a decent player that does both for not much more? Even the BD-30 seems really expensive. Is there anything else I should be looking at?
I have been looking at a super nice LCD with a weak video source for way too long but I don't want to spend a grand on hardware that will not last. It sounds like the BD-50 will not be that much better for upconverting but it might be worth it to wait and see.
Opinions?

If you don't want to upgrade yet your receiver you can go with panasonic bd10a it does have 7.1 channel analog vs 5.1 of yours but that does not matter for now. The reason I recommend bd10a is because it can internally decode the Truhd, dd+ and dts hd RL but not MA. With dts hd MA you will get dts core only.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #831 of 16941 Old 04-08-2008, 04:12 PM

So now that the format war is over, time to get a Blue-Ray player... the question is which. I have read so many posts, I am really confused now.
I have a large SD DVD collection that would like to be able to view with some degree of decent quality.
I have been looking at the Panny BD30 but I read the scaling leaves lots to be desired. (Don't want to have to pawn the dog and youngest son either....)
I have a Sony KDL-52XBR5 LCD and my receiver is a Denon AVR-3808CI receiver. The results with the Denon scaling from a SD DVD player have been mediocre at best.
I am very new to the modern AV world and the Denon is less than two months old so I haven't done much tinkering with it.
Any advice or suggestions you all can send my way on a BD player and on settings for the Denon is greatly appreciated.
Cheers!
post #832 of 16941 Old 04-08-2008, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
TalonDJ & mariofer -- What is wrong with using your existing SD DVD player for playing SD DVDs - that's what I'm going to do. Therefore, I'm not worried about not getting excellent upscaling from any BD player that I eventually buy.

I've had no problems playing 480p/480i into any of my displays (flat panel TV or front projector on a 106" screen). My SD player happens to also up-convert via it's HDMI output, but I haven't even tried it yet, since I'm getting excellent picture quality from my SD DVD player's component outputs.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #833 of 16941 Old 04-09-2008, 07:21 AM

That is a fair question. My older SD player does not have HDMI out. It is not even progressive scan. So how much more image quality will I get if I get a solid upconverting player? I have no idea. I would like to get more out of my SDs if I can but I don't know how noticable the change will be.
Does anyone know what a sideby side comparison of an older player and a nice upconverting one looks like in full 1080p?
post #834 of 16941 Old 04-09-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariofer View Post

So now that the format war is over, time to get a Blue-Ray player... the question is which. I have read so many posts, I am really confused now.

Hi,

I'm in much the same boat. My Denon 3808CI is also about 2 months old and I have been using a JVC XV-S30 DVD player using component and digital audio into the Denon which goes through HDMI into my Tosiba Regza. I've kept the JVC in 4:3 mode and let the TV do the DVD to 1080 formatting with excellent results. I found the Denon got confused at times upconverting.

Last night the JVC has decided to report No Disk Loaded for everything I stick in it so it seams it's toast. Seems pointless to buy another DVD player if a BD can do the job.

So same question. Panasonic the best route?

Thanks

John
post #835 of 16941 Old 04-09-2008, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdammeyer View Post

Hi,

I'm in much the same boat. My Denon 3808CI is also about 2 months old and I have been using a JVC XV-S30 DVD player using component and digital audio into the Denon which goes through HDMI into my Tosiba Regza. I've kept the JVC in 4:3 mode and let the TV do the DVD to 1080 formatting with excellent results. I found the Denon got confused at times upconverting.

Last night the JVC has decided to report No Disk Loaded for everything I stick in it so it seams it's toast. Seems pointless to buy another DVD player if a BD can do the job.

So same question. Panasonic the best route?

Thanks

John

John, yea it would seem the BD30 is the best option, unless you want a ps3.
Or you could pick up an oppo for DVD-audio and SACD, and excellent upconversion, and buy yourself a few months for the newer BD players coming out.
post #836 of 16941 Old 04-09-2008, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonDJ View Post

That is a fair question. My older SD player does not have HDMI out. It is not even progressive scan. So how much more image quality will I get if I get a solid upconverting player? I have no idea. I would like to get more out of my SDs if I can but I don't know how noticable the change will be.
Does anyone know what a sideby side comparison of an older player and a nice upconverting one looks like in full 1080p?

480i vs. an upconverted 1080p, I'm pretty sure the new upconverts will look better, but how much also depends on how good your tv was at taking a 480i signal to 480p. If it did a good job, this may be a slightly incremental upgrade, but if your tv isn't that good, well this could be a huge leap in quality. The other significant factor is how big is your screen and how far away do you sit away from it. You can see with all these variables it is hard for any of us to tell you exactly what your going to get, but hopefully you can figure it out with the info above.

One other option is to buy a BD player from Best Buy/CC/etc and test it out.If you don't like it return it.

-Splints
post #837 of 16941 Old 04-09-2008, 11:40 AM

I have last years model Sharp Aquos 52" LCD in full 1080p. I am letting it convert component from an non progressive 7 year old sony up to the full screen rez. How much different would I notice with a nice upscaling player running HDMI to the display? The Sharp seems to do a pretty decent job of converting.
I don't care about the 'live' features of 2.0. And I am tired of waiting to get the most out of my screen. There is ALWAYS something better on the horizon to wait for.
My options seem to be:
1: Get an nice BD player now like the BD30K and use to do SD and BD
2: Get one of those AND another player that does SD upconvert better.
3: Wait two months and get an new uber player that does it all
4: Get the upconverting player and hang on for a little longer for the BDs to get cheaper.

I don't want to wait much so I am thinking option 1 or 2. I just can't figure out if I would notice a big improvment with a dedicated upconverting player, or if so, which one to get where they difference will be worth the cost.
post #838 of 16941 Old 04-09-2008, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

John, yea it would seem the BD30 is the best option, unless you want a ps3.
Or you could pick up an oppo for DVD-audio and SACD, and excellent upconversion, and buy yourself a few months for the newer BD players coming out.

Talon... Same for you.
post #839 of 16941 Old 04-09-2008, 03:24 PM

I purchased a BD30 based on the opinions in this thread. I upgraded the firmware but it still kept cutting off my sub. I returned it.

I really want to buy another player because I have two new LCD TV's.

I heard about and witnessed the Sony player locking up during movies.

I now am going to read about the Samsung 1400 to find out what its issues might be.
post #840 of 16941 Old 04-09-2008, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drober30 View Post

I purchased a BD30 based on the opinions in this thread. I upgraded the firmware but it still kept cutting off my sub. I returned it.

I really want to buy another player because I have two new LCD TV's.

I heard about and witnessed the Sony player locking up during movies.

I now am going to read about the Samsung 1400 to find out what its issues might be.

You're better off getting another BD30 than the 1400.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , S390 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page