OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 16960 Old 01-05-2008, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have a pany 30 hooked up to a onkyo 805. Very nice combination.
dts master audio looks cool on the display and sounds awesome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 16960 Old 01-05-2008, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you guys think the announced blu players at CES will come out to the market rather quickly, or could it be a wide range of dates. Also have we heard anything in the $500 range expected to be announced?
post #63 of 16960 Old 01-05-2008, 12:55 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

My receiver has HDMI but no internal HD audio decoders. (I know there is no DTS-MA decoding player yet. We get DTS core for now).

1) Do either of the BD10 or BD30 have decoders for DD True HD & DD+ and DTS-HR?

2) Can either output decoded, uncompressed PCM over HDMI? Is it 7.1 or downmixed to 5.1?

3) In addition to HDMI, can the BD10 do the above decoding via it's 7.1 analog outputs in actual 7.1?

4) Does the BD30 do all the above decoding to it's 5.1 analog outputs?

Anybody? ...also, what was the BD10A version vs the BD10? What does the BD30 offer that makes it better than the BD10/A?
post #64 of 16960 Old 01-05-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Anybody? ...also, what was the BD10A version vs the BD10? What does the BD30 offer that makes it better than the BD10/A?

The BD10A is just the BD10 with the newest firmware and a Dolby TrueHD logo on the top of the player. It (along with the BD10 if firmware is updated) can decode TrueHD internally and output it as PCM over HDMI. (It also decodes lossy DTS-HD High Resolution Audio) Note that the BD10 cannot decode DTS-HD Master Audio and does not have HDMI 1.3. (It has HDMI 1.2a)

The BD30 cannot decode TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, but can bitstream both through HDMI 1.3. It also has 1080p24 output.
post #65 of 16960 Old 01-05-2008, 05:23 PM

I think there should be a clarification of fan noise for the PS3. I'm not sure if the newer models (40 and 80 gig) have that issue.

I have the 60 gig (with some fan noise) and love it. I bought it for BR playback and not only have been very happy with the load speed and quality.. but turns out I'm using it for other purposes as well like some gaming ($10 download games) as well as using it as a music server with the WiFi capabilities and on board hard drive.

Many people here do seem to like the Panasonic.. so I would consider both.
post #66 of 16960 Old 01-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

I find it odd and sad that the best player seems to be a friggin video game system. It makes me question if I want to go Blu just yet. Amazing as the PS3 might be it just leaves me wondering what the heck is everyone else doing with there players and why they cannot make them better then the ps3 which is older...
post #67 of 16960 Old 01-05-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2010 View Post

The BD10A is just the BD10 with the newest firmware and a Dolby TrueHD logo on the top of the player. It (along with the BD10 if firmware is updated) can decode TrueHD internally and output it as PCM over HDMI. (It also decodes lossy DTS-HD High Resolution Audio) Note that the BD10 cannot decode DTS-HD Master Audio and does not have HDMI 1.3. (It has HDMI 1.2a)

The BD30 cannot decode TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, but can bitstream both through HDMI 1.3. It also has 1080p24 output.

So the BD10(A) can decode TrueHD (and output as PCM via HDMI), but the BD30 cant? Seems strange that the higher end model lacks that capability.

The lack of 1.3 shouldnt really be a big deal to most people, should it? Unless you have full 1.3 throughout your system, it won't matter. Both my TV and AVR are Pio Elites, and are less than a year old, and only have 1.2.

Also, How would one know if your unit was decoding DTS-HD MA, or defaulting to a more baseline DTS? My reciever, as far as I can tell, only shows "DTS" on the display.
post #68 of 16960 Old 01-05-2008, 06:51 PM

I laughed when I saw the topic, then the topic creator's avatar.
post #69 of 16960 Old 01-05-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by JThiessen View Post

So the BD10(A) can decode TrueHD (and output as PCM via HDMI), but the BD30 cant? Seems strange that the higher end model lacks that capability.

The lack of 1.3 shouldnt really be a big deal to most people, should it? Unless you have full 1.3 throughout your system, it won't matter. Both my TV and AVR are Pio Elites, and are less than a year old, and only have 1.2.

Also, How would one know if your unit was decoding DTS-HD MA, or defaulting to a more baseline DTS? My reciever, as far as I can tell, only shows "DTS" on the display.

i think you might be confused the dmp-bd10ak is the higher end model and a100.00 higher also no current player does dts master the marantz that will
be showing at ces is said to have it with others sure to follow.
post #70 of 16960 Old 01-05-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThiessen View Post

I suppose Panasonic decided that most people would bitstream TrueHD instead of decoding in the player. (The BD10(A) could not bitstream it) The problem is that without a HDMI 1.3 receiver that decodes TrueHD, there is no way of using the lossless audio with the BD30.
post #71 of 16960 Old 01-05-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse View Post

I find it odd and sad that the best player seems to be a friggin video game system. It makes me question if I want to go Blu just yet. Amazing as the PS3 might be it just leaves me wondering what the heck is everyone else doing with there players and why they cannot make them better then the ps3 which is older...

Blame it on the different economic models applied to dedicated players vs. game consoles. The PS3 was designed to remain viable for a ten-year lifespan and eventual production on the order of 100 million units. The amount of engineering effort that goes into designing something like this is phenomenal and is hard to beat with a product designed for a niche market and destined to be replaced within a year.

The situation will change as volumes ramp up for dedicated Blu-ray players and off-the-shelf solutions mature, but for now it shouldn't be a surprise that the PS3 holds up incredibly well. It's a very solid design hampered only by its multi-purpose nature.

It does run relatively warm because it's doing virtually everything with fairly general-purpose hardware. This results some people reporting issues with thermal management (fan noise) though many don't experience problems, and it does have the upside of being very upgradable since it's basically 100% software. It doesn't look like a piece of normal AV rack gear. It doesn't use an IR remote control scheme out of the box, and IR add-ons are limited in some ways (inability to turn the unit on and off.)

All-in-all, though, it has held up well for good and valid reasons. Those reasons should change in due course but for now it's a reasonable bet for many people - especially those with HDMI 1.1 receivers that need internal decoding. Many, many insiders have hinted that DTS HD MA support is coming and while it isn't guaranteed I suspect it's a better than 50:50 bet.
post #72 of 16960 Old 01-06-2008, 06:06 AM

Hi I am also loking for a blue ray player however I do not care about the audio output at this time so I would like to know which player is the best for video play back less than the 499.00 mark of the panasonic?
post #73 of 16960 Old 01-06-2008, 06:41 AM

Guys:

Which of the BD players discussed and recommended in this thread are available as region-free for SD-DVDs or can be easily hacked (via service menu or code) to play all-region SD-DVDs?

I really don't want separate boxes for my collection of international SD-DVDs and future BDs.

Thx
post #74 of 16960 Old 01-06-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozerider View Post

I laughed when I saw the topic, then the topic creator's avatar.

Well I still had my HD DVD avatar still on their when I made the topic. It my opinion that this war is over (I know some see if different and thats there opinion) Im not one to keep all my HD DVD stuff(I know others are) SO Ive been selling all of my HD stuff and moving on to Blu. I was never married to either of them I had a 50/50 chance to get it right, and I lost.
post #75 of 16960 Old 01-06-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtek View Post

Guys:

Which of the BD players discussed and recommended in this thread are available as region-free for SD-DVDs or can be easily hacked (via service menu or code) to play all-region SD-DVDs?

I really don't want separate boxes for my collection of international SD-DVDs and future BDs.

Thx

I would also be interested when we can get the first region free hack for Blu-Ray discs as well.
post #76 of 16960 Old 01-06-2008, 08:05 AM

Liked: 12
My HD screen (Sony GWII w/umr mod, 768p), Yamaha 2400 receiver, and Denon 2900 have been my central HT components for the last 3 to 5 years. I plan to upgrade to a 1080p panel and HDMI-based receiver sometime in the next year or so.

I succumbed to the $199 Toshiba HD-A3 just before Christmas. I was so pleased with the HD picture that I decided I had another year or more of enjoyment left on my 4-1/2 year old GWII. My 2900 still easily beats if for SD-DVD through component, though.

I have found that I do not like having still to buy SD-DVDs for non-HD-DVD titles.

So, I am considering purchasing a good but inexpensive BD player, on par with the A3. I plan on connecting it to my HT via component and optical/SPDIF cables. I will defer the advanced BD features that require a 1080p screen, HDMI equipment, and next-gen sound decoding until I upgrade my whole HT.

I am currently considering these two players, in this order (please add or correct as needed):

1. Samsung BDP-1200, refurb'd
Plus: very good BD playback, superior SD-DVD playback via HQV, lowest price, HDMI 1.3 (for later)
Minus: some compatibility complaints with the newest BR discs, no advanced sound format support beyond DD+

2. PS3, 40GB model
Plus: very good BD playback, game machine, computer-like capabilities (web access, photo & home video streaming), already 1.1 profile, fast start and load times, wireless networking
Minus: no remote (that's big for me), significantly higher price than option 1, no lossless sound format support

The Panasonic model sounds truly great but, at nearly 2 c-notes more than option 1, I think this is more bang than I can use for now. By the time the rest of my HT is ready to support those features, then I probably should be considering 2.x profile players or HTPCs. Let me know if I'm incorrect with that conclusion.

What do you recommend?
post #77 of 16960 Old 01-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Just some corrections to your list:

1) The ps3 has a remote but it's bluetooth ($20), it can turn the ps3 on and off too. You can also use the game controller to play discs. If you want to use IR for a universal remote there are some aftermarket options that apparently work.

2) The ps3 does support lossless formats over HDMI, but currently just LPCM, or what it can convert on the fly to LPCM (Dolby TrueHD). The DTS-MA format is the lossless format that's currently not supported. Bitstreaming lossless formats is also currently not supported. But potentially decoding support could be added for DTS as the PS3 has ample processing power.
post #78 of 16960 Old 01-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I am in the same boat as you -- but the best BR player that I can determine from my research is the PS3. So I guess I am going that route.

I use a 360 for games (and will continue to do so since all my friends have 360s and are on xbox live). My HD-A2 will be use for SD dvds and HD-DVDS.

My Bargain Basement Theater
post #79 of 16960 Old 01-06-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post

I don't get why folks keep saying the BD30 doesn't do 1080/24. They specs say that it does. Can someone explain?

not to worry the bd30k puts out 1080/24 i have the unit and can confirm this. I dont have a 1.3 compatible reciever and have this unit and i disagree with people saying its the worse player for those who dont have one. First, the prices on 1.3 recievers will drop and i plan to buy one when they do, for now my old Denon reciever (about 6 years old) is holding me over and the sound is still really good. Besides i live in an apartment at the moment and get noise complaints as it is from the sound. If you want a player that PLAYS every disc you throw at it without a hiccup and puts out an unbelievable image the bd 30 is the way to go. The image quality on 1080p content is better then my ps3, however the upconversion of sd content is not as good as the ps3.
post #80 of 16960 Old 01-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvedder View Post

The image quality on 1080p content is better then my ps3

I wonder why would that be? Are you using 1080p24? Do some players sharpen and process the image rather than just pass it on to the TV as-is off the disc?

Some movies have looked soft, so I've bumped up the video setting on my tv to get more pop - but "Meet the Robinsons" looked incredibly bright and sharp so I figured it was just the difference between hd video and the "film" look.
post #81 of 16960 Old 01-06-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW747 View Post

I wonder why would that be? Are you using 1080p24? Do some players sharpen and process the image rather than just pass it on to the TV as-is off the disc?

Some movies have looked soft, so I've bumped up the video setting on my tv to get more pop - but "Meet the Robinsons" looked incredibly bright and sharp so I figured it was just the difference between hd video and the "film" look.

I am not sure it could be a number of things but one reason could be that the panny has more video/image tweak options then the ps3 allowing the user to more fine tune the image to their tastes. In terms of technical reasons i don't have clue since they both output 1080/24 images. Too bad the upconversion isn't as good as the ps3 though as i use that to play sd DVD's, and the Panny for BD's.
post #82 of 16960 Old 01-06-2008, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

If you have a HDMI 1.3 A/V receiver capable of decoding TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, then I would recommend the Panasonic BD30K.

Otherwise, I would wait.

I don't think you'll have to wait long, see the CES announcements next week.

Hi,

As usual, great advice. Here's a little taste of things to come.

CES: Panasonic Intros First BD-Live Blu-ray Player

Larry
post #83 of 16960 Old 01-07-2008, 08:55 AM

Looking for your expert perspectives....

I have my home theater underway

Pioneer Elite VSX92H AV Receiver
Sony VPL VW60 Projector
PSB speakers 7.1 setup
Dedicated Room
Stewart 120 Firehawk Screen SXRD

I have a standard DVD player and am thinking of upgrading to a Blu Ray. So here are my questions...

The dealer selling me the equipment (ex the PSB's which i already have) is suggesting the Pioneer Elite BDP 95FD or if i want to save a few dollars then the Sony BDP S500. These are around $600 - $800. What do I get for this much money vs a $200 - $300 Blu Ray player like the Samsung BDP-1200 or 1400?

thanks for your help
post #84 of 16960 Old 01-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Get a PS3. You won't regret it for a second.

Even if you don't play games. This COULD get you into them again. Worked for me. And the BluRay drive is absolutely flawless. I haven't had a single problem with it. And it's incredibly quiet. And quick.

If I wasn't into home theater, I'd have a whole lotta money.
post #85 of 16960 Old 01-07-2008, 09:09 AM

Hey all. I've been on the high-def disc sidelines until now. With the Warner announcement I'd like to jump into Blu-ray sometime this year.

I'd like a player that's at least Profile 1.1. Other than that my main concern is upconversion of SD DVDs -- I'll be upgrading a few discs to Blu-ray but most of my collection will remain SD. The Panasonic BD30 looks promising but its upconversion gets reviews ranging from "pretty good" to "good enough" to "so-so" to "crappy."

I was hoping for a midrange player with the Reon chip being announced at CES, but it doesn't look like it's in the cards. I'm hoping to keep my budget to $500 or less.

My current player is an old 480i JVC player (XV-S300). My TV does all the scaling and seems to do a pretty good job (Sony Bravia KDL-V32XBR2) -- but it's a 1366x768 set so it probably doesn't show every flaw.

I use my TV's speakers (and no AVR), so handling of advanced audio is not a consideration.

Any thoughts? Should I go for the BD30 or wait? My greatest fear is spending $499 and finding that my SD discs actually look worse than they used to.
post #86 of 16960 Old 01-07-2008, 09:12 AM

You shouldnt like UCFKevin said get a ps3 or wait and see what new blu ray players come out and spend the extras on movies
post #87 of 16960 Old 01-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
It looks like I am going format neutral. I can afford a $400ish BD-30 but can't afford to upgrade my receiver for at least another year. With my Toshiba A-2 I get Dolby TrueHD decoded by the A-2 and sent bitstream to the Onkyo 804. Will the BD-30 do this as well?

Greg
post #88 of 16960 Old 01-07-2008, 09:24 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

If you have a HDMI 1.3 A/V receiver capable of decoding TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, then I would recommend the Panasonic BD30K.

Otherwise, I would wait.

I don't think you'll have to wait long, see the CES announcements next week.

Thanks for clarifying this for me. One question:
Is there an advantage to internally decoding TrueHD (i.e. new BD50) if my receiver is non-hdmi (mine is a Denon AVR-1603 with two options: Digital Optical or 5.1 analog)

thanks
post #89 of 16960 Old 01-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The Pioneer in question is a good machine. However it is outdated IMO and the price will plummet to $500 or less in a couple of months.

You should at least get a Profile 1.1 player as an interim solution as Profile 2.0 players will be on the shelves before the turn of the year for sure.

Most people right now who are saying that they are barely interested in interactivity will eventually get a Profile 2.0 player.

By then we will also hear a new HDMI ver 1.3b being introduced! It's ridiculous IMO.
post #90 of 16960 Old 01-07-2008, 09:27 AM

Thanks UCFKevin. So why are people spending even over $1000 on players -they must be getting something for that money or why wouldn;t the prices come down?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page