OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 17377 Old 04-24-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
sorry i didn't mean to sound heated, i was just posting an opinion. should've included -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 17377 Old 04-24-2008, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFAN0001 View Post

having now seen both BD and SD disks on the BD30, I would strongly disagree with your statement about upconversion of the SD disks.

I have 2 other higher-end SD conversion DVD players (one is an HD DVD player), and they are all very much alike.

I'm saying the upconversion sucks on my Panasonic 10A...
post #993 of 17377 Old 04-24-2008, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

If the BD30 isn't an acceptable option, try the Denon 3800, it's a profile 1.1 player with bitstreaming. If that price is too high, then your best bet is to go for the ps3 and it's internal decoding. If none of the above options sound palatable, then wait till the holidays and revisit your decision.

Like most things in the world, performance costs extra, with the ps3 being the only real exception in the BD world with the Sony subsidy (just like the XA2 with Toshiba).

-Splints
post #994 of 17377 Old 04-24-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post

If the BD30 isn't an acceptable option, try the Denon 3800, it's a profile 1.1 player with bitstreaming. If that price is too high, then your best bet is to go for the ps3 and it's internal decoding. If none of the above options sound palatable, then wait till the holidays and revisit your decision.

Like most things in the world, performance costs extra, with the ps3 being the only real exception in the BD world with the Sony subsidy (just like the XA2 with Toshiba).

-Splints

Indeed, this may be what I will have to do Splints...

Should the prices of gear like the Denon come down by the next holidays?
post #995 of 17377 Old 04-25-2008, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Camry SE View Post

I'm saying the upconversion sucks on my Panasonic 10A...

That perspective I've heard before.

With the BD30, I suspect you'd see a noticable improvement in SD upconverting presentation over the 10A.

That said, I got the BD30 for Blu Ray, not SD....I have plenty of options to view SD upconverted (in addition to the BD30), so this is a "coming along for the ride" added benefit, not a defining requirement.
post #996 of 17377 Old 04-25-2008, 08:14 AM

hi all, looking for advice on a blu-ray player to match up with my Samsung LN52A650. It should support whatever the drop down mode is for optimization of the 120hz (24FPS?). I am not too familiar with what all needs to be supported to maximize the usage of 120hz, I would greatly appreciate feedback on this.

Also, if you could provide insight in to how good a Playstation 3 would be in terms of using its blu-ray capability with the LCD, since it's about the same price as any other blu-ray player.

Thanks!
George
post #997 of 17377 Old 04-25-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnychis View Post

hi all, looking for advice on a blu-ray player to match up with my Samsung LN52A650. It should support whatever the drop down mode is for optimization of the 120hz (24FPS?). I am not too familiar with what all needs to be supported to maximize the usage of 120hz, I would greatly appreciate feedback on this.

Also, if you could provide insight in to how good a Playstation 3 would be in terms of using its blu-ray capability with the LCD, since it's about the same price as any other blu-ray player.

Thanks!
George

I purchased my LN52A650 2 weeks ago and setup my new PS3 (40GB) last night.....to be used exclusively for Blu-ray\\DVD playback. I am a 360 fan and it was like pulling teeth trying to convince myself to buy a PS3. I have no regrets. The picture is unbelievable and the player itself is upgradable and quiet....most importantly, its cheap.
post #998 of 17377 Old 04-25-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTapper View Post

I purchased my LN52A650 2 weeks ago and setup my new PS3 (40GB) last night.....to be used exclusively for Blu-ray\\DVD playback. I am a 360 fan and it was like pulling teeth trying to convince myself to buy a PS3. I have no regrets. The picture is unbelievable and the player itself is upgradable and quiet....most importantly, its cheap.

thanks for the response! is there a specific pulldown mode that I need the player to support to maximize the smoothness of 120hz?
post #999 of 17377 Old 04-25-2008, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
24fps, i believe.
post #1000 of 17377 Old 04-25-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:

thanks for the response! is there a specific pulldown mode that I need the player to support to maximize the smoothness of 120hz?

I am really new to the whole calibration deal, but I found Znut's calibration setting over in the Calibration thread.... and with a few tweaks am very happy.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1010609&page=7

I highly reccomend that thread....lots of good advice for us LNXXA650 owners.
post #1001 of 17377 Old 04-25-2008, 12:25 PM

So then why would you "disagree"....?

With the BD30, I suspect you'd see a noticable improvement in SD upconverting presentation over the 10A.

If you search for some reviews on the 30, you'll see that many actually report a decrease in upscaling performance from the 10A -- which I find nearly impossible, but, there ya go...

That said, I got the BD30 for Blu Ray, not SD....I have plenty of options to view SD upconverted (in addition to the BD30), so this is a "coming along for the ride" added benefit, not a defining requirement.

Well, that's great for you, but some of us have other requirement parameters such as wanting one chassis to do it all -- if that's the case, people like me will have to either bite the bullet and pay two grand because good DVD performance AND BD performance is obviously not cheap, or "deal with" the horrible upconversion performance on $500 players...
post #1002 of 17377 Old 04-25-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTapper View Post

I am really new to the whole calibration deal, but I found Znut's calibration setting over in the Calibration thread.... and with a few tweaks am very happy.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1010609&page=7

I highly reccomend that thread....lots of good advice for us LNXXA650 owners.

I guess i'm not asking so much as for settings related to the TV, i'm asking if there is anything about the blu-ray player needed to "play nice" with the 120hz
post #1003 of 17377 Old 04-25-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:

I guess i'm not asking so much as for settings related to the TV, i'm asking if there is anything about the blu-ray player needed to "play nice" with the 120hz

Ah....sorry 'bout that. I didn't do anything except change my audio output to DD (Yes I have ancient technology ) Picture is unbelievable and I have AMP set to High.
post #1004 of 17377 Old 04-25-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So then why would you "disagree"....?

Try reading it again sir - I was agreeing with his 10A observation...
Quote:

If you search for some reviews on the 30, you'll see that many actually report a decrease in upscaling performance from the 10A -- which I find nearly impossible, but, there ya go...

Good thing I have working eyeballs that clearly disputes that - but to each his own.
Quote:

Well, that's great for you, but some of us have other requirement parameters such as wanting one chassis to do it all --

Yes, its great for me. I have enough trouble justifying the insane BD pricing as is, so when I find a unit that does a fantastic BD disk presentation for video and audio, and a solid job on SD upconversion, I snatched one up.

I guess I got spoiled with HD DVD players that had more/better features at half the price, but now that the "war" is over, there's no reason I need to adopt paying inflated prices for similar capabilities.

The PS3 was not an option, as it has its own issues, and is not attractive as a BD player - its a game machine first, after all. A rack mounted equipment candidate it ain't.

So when you whittle down all the realities, the BD30 at its feature and performance point, coupled with its price point, makes pretty obvious sense - which kinda explains why they can't make them fast enough and they leave store shelves the same day they come in.

Thanks to many knowledgable people here, steering me and many others to the BD30 has been appreciated.
post #1005 of 17377 Old 04-25-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:

Try reading it again sir - I was agreeing with his 10A observation...

Good thing I have working eyeballs that clearly disputes that - but to each his own.

Yes, its great for me. I have enough trouble justifying the insane BD pricing as is, so when I find a unit that does a fantastic BD disk presentation for video and audio, and a solid job on SD upconversion, I snatched one up.

I guess I got spoiled with HD DVD players that had more/better features at half the price, but now that the "war" is over, there's no reason I need to adopt paying inflated prices for similar capabilities.

The PS3 was not an option, as it has its own issues, and is not attractive as a BD player - its a game machine first, after all. A rack mounted equipment candidate it ain't.

So when you whittle down all the realities, the BD30 at its feature and performance point, coupled with its price point, makes pretty obvious sense - which kinda explains why they can't make them fast enough and they leave store shelves the same day they come in.

Thanks to many knowledgable people here, steering me and many others to the BD30 has been appreciated.

All I'm going to say about your response is that indeed the player seems to be working to your eyes as a good upconverter; from other members I have spoken with back and forth and in private messaging on here, the BD30 sucks the same amount of !!&!@^&!& that the 10A did/does...and I don't trust Pansaonic's chipsets anymore in these machines...

THAT SAID, I do understand the relationship of price vs. performance and realistic expectations from these players for SD DVD behavior; indeed, I understand that at the $500 price point or so, there's only so good DVDs are gonna look based on what these manufacturers put into them because they were specifically designed for BD playback...so I get that...

I am just waiting for a deck to drop to what I think would be reasonable prices -- perhaps at the thousand dollar mark or so -- and that at least upscale without all the ridiculous crap I see on my screen when my 10A does it...that is, no jaggies, noise or horrible mosquito macroblocking...

'Nuff said.
post #1006 of 17377 Old 04-26-2008, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am just waiting for a deck to drop to what I think would be reasonable prices -- perhaps at the thousand dollar mark or so -- and that at least upscale without all the ridiculous crap I see on my screen when my 10A does it...that is, no jaggies, noise or horrible mosquito macroblocking...

'Nuff said.

That all makes sense. At the end of the day, its about price vs. value.

Some day, hopefully soon, the BD folks will understand that concept. It's even holding back potential reams of BD disk sales (despite a surge tha past few months)...they could be selling many more. A recent example...when about 40 titles dropped at CC and Amazon into the $17.99 - $19.99 range...their sales skyrocketed.

Hope you find the player you are seeking at the right price soon.
post #1007 of 17377 Old 04-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hmm. I already have a PS3 as BDP #1 in my bedroom, and that's fine, but I'm looking for a player for my living room now...given a choice, I'm wondering if I should just get another PS3 or hold out for a zippy standalone that doesn't hiccup on anything...

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #1008 of 17377 Old 04-27-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:

That all makes sense. At the end of the day, its about price vs. value.

Some day, hopefully soon, the BD folks will understand that concept. It's even holding back potential reams of BD disk sales (despite a surge tha past few months)...they could be selling many more. A recent example...when about 40 titles dropped at CC and Amazon into the $17.99 - $19.99 range...their sales skyrocketed.

Hope you find the player you are seeking at the right price soon.

Thank you, HD; indeed, let's all keep each other updated with the latest players and their performance as they come out...

If I get a new player anytime soon, I'll report back to you guys about its playback performance once its wired in my rack...

And you're totally right about the prices -- these discs are NOT -- I repeat NOT -- worth the 40 or some dollars some of these stores are getting for them on release day...if the film jumped off the screen, turned into Pamela Anderson completely buck naked in my living room and...well...let's just say "did something" regarding unzipping my trousers...well...THEN I'd pay $39.95...know what I'm talkin' about?

But in all seriousness, yeah, I don't think the BD titles are worth even the median price of...what is it, $30 and up or so for hot new titles and even some back catalog ones? No way...and then we're supposed to replace our collections of DVDs with these expensive discs...until what...3-D comes along in a few years or so?

But waiting until they get down to the $17.99 mark is the best bet for buying these high def discs; indeed, that's what we have been doing to add them into our collection because otherwise, it's just too expensive...we just found Independence Day online for like 18 bucks, so we ordered it because that's worth replacing my so-called "Limited Edition" DVD (THX certified no less) which has less than stellar video; but that's what we do for most of the Blu ray titles we buy -- try to find them cheaper online...cheaper meaning what WE think they are worth, and to me, they shouldn't really be MUCH more expensive than a DVD.
post #1009 of 17377 Old 04-28-2008, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I just went with the LG BH200 Super BluRay Combo Player for just $550 so I can't wait until it gets here on Wednesday. I changed my Netflix Preferences to (1) BluRay (2) HD DVD (3) STD DVDs. Now I can watch some great HD Movies!!!
post #1010 of 17377 Old 04-28-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

There's a nice 2-page piece on the Panasonic BD30 in the new May 2008 issue of Sound & Vision magazine.

It certainly seems to infer that the BD30 is not only a very good unit, but also that it will be around for a while.

One quote:

"You'll be hard pressed to find a $500 player that's as pretty to look at or as well equipped, or that works as smoothly".
post #1011 of 17377 Old 04-28-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:

There's a nice 2-page piece on the Panasonic BD30 in the new May 2008 issue of Sound & Vision magazine.

It certainly seems to infer that the BD30 is not only a very good unit, but also that it will be around for a while.

One quote:

"You'll be hard pressed to find a $500 player that's as pretty to look at or as well equipped, or that works as smoothly".

HD,

Did it mention anything about the BD30's DVD upscaling performance? I just got the new issue of Home Theater, not Sound and Vision, so I'm busy catching up on their articles, which talks about bitstreaming the new codecs and a new Sony Blu ray changer/server...
post #1012 of 17377 Old 04-29-2008, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HD,

Did it mention anything about the BD30's DVD upscaling performance? I just got the new issue of Home Theater, not Sound and Vision, so I'm busy catching up on their articles, which talks about bitstreaming the new codecs and a new Sony Blu ray changer/server...

Yes, they concluded the same thing 1/2 the folks here have said - "average" upscaling...not bad, but average. Its Blu Ray video and audio presentation is reported as stellar.

In another thread, I noted that some posters have indicated that by using the component output and having their displays during the upscaling, the results improve dramatically.. I haven't tried that myself (yet), but I'm actually pretty pleased with what I am seeing on my high-end projector and wall screen. I may try to play with it more in that configuration this coming weekend.
post #1013 of 17377 Old 04-29-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Interesting. I have the BD10A running into a 65" ISF calibrated HD RPTV via HDMI and I see none of those things with upscaled DVDs. Obviously some discs look better than others, but I see no artifacts that specifically relate to the upscaling process of the BD10A, certainly not jaggies or macroblocking.

Is your display calibrated?

Music is Art; Audio is Engineering; High-End Audio is Marketing.
post #1014 of 17377 Old 04-29-2008, 12:33 PM

I may have a penchant for stating the obvious, but for those going with the PS3 for Blu-Ray playback, get one of these, too. It's much better than the game controller, especially for those of us who don't game.
post #1015 of 17377 Old 04-29-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:

Yes, they concluded the same thing 1/2 the folks here have said - "average" upscaling...not bad, but average. Its Blu Ray video and audio presentation is reported as stellar.

In another thread, I noted that some posters have indicated that by using the component output and having their displays during the upscaling, the results improve dramatically.. I haven't tried that myself (yet), but I'm actually pretty pleased with what I am seeing on my high-end projector and wall screen. I may try to play with it more in that configuration this coming weekend.

Hmmmm....seems to me then that the BD30 would, at best, perform like my 10A or perhaps a bit better in terms of upconversion...

As for the display doing the work, I have tried that as well over HDMI, where I set the 10A for 480p output over HDMI and then let my Sony display handle the upscaling to 1080p, which looked a little cleaner than letting the player do it, but this introduces a major issue: every time I watch a DVD on this player I need to leave the resolution on 480p, and then when I watch a Blu ray, I need to switch that over to 1080p, and that would be EVERY time I switch between two formats; this would be a pain and I've decided to just leave the 10A on AUTO resolution over HDMI, which selects the "appropriate" resolution for your screen, and this selects 1080p for my Sony...
post #1016 of 17377 Old 04-29-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicP View Post

Interesting. I have the BD10A running into a 65" ISF calibrated HD RPTV via HDMI and I see none of those things with upscaled DVDs. Obviously some discs look better than others, but I see no artifacts that specifically relate to the upscaling process of the BD10A, certainly not jaggies or macroblocking.

Is your display calibrated?

Yes, the display is calibrated -- but the artifacts I am seeing on DVDs are not really "display" related issues; the jaggies, the banding, the macroblocking -- all seems to be player related issues from what I have learned on here...in additional news, it is interesting to me that you have none of these issues with your 10A as so many other owners I have spoken with see the same things as I do -- they have blamed the "bad processing" inside the 10A for things like the bad jagged lines (especially around reds on DVDs) and so forth...

I actually had a conversation with another member here about the 10A in one of the threads and when I mentioned the jagged lines in words on the screen when a DVD is playing, he mentioned something about seeing the same thing -- and even seeing some of this on the end credits of the Spider Man 3 Blu ray -- and concluded that "it's making me wonder about the video processing on this player altogether"...
post #1017 of 17377 Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

They all output HD over component. But, they can't upscale DVD over component because of copy restrictions. Upscaling is limited to an HDMI connection. Considering the generally poor reviews BD players get for upscaling, that probably doesn't matter much. Your Panasonic set likely will do as good a job as the current group of BD players.

I have a similar situation, and am hoping for some input on the best route for me. I have a mitsu 55" RPTV w/ component input only, and it's displayable resolutions are 480i/480p/1080i. I'm going to assume then that any BD player run over component will be converted to 1080i on my display (if the source is HD). For SD material, will it just output it as 480i? Is there a way to upscale it to 480p or 1080i? Is the BD30 a good way to go for me as well? TIA!
post #1018 of 17377 Old 04-29-2008, 02:28 PM

The magazine article implied it. You inferred it.
post #1019 of 17377 Old 04-29-2008, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydf View Post

The magazine article implied it. You inferred it.

post #1020 of 17377 Old 05-01-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
can someone give me some good advice on purchasing my first Blu-Ray player...I currently own a Toshiba HD-A2 player with about 10 HD-DVD titles...I would like to purchase a Blu-Ray player that upconverts SD titles with excellent results and I hear for that I need to buy one that uses the HQV Reon chip...are the only Blu-Ray players that use this chip the Samsung BD-P1200 and the BD-UP5000 (combo HD-DVD + Blu-Ray player)?

neither of those use Profile 2.0 though...so I'm confused as to whether or not Profile 2.0 really matters and/or are the 2 players mentioned above my best choices as far as standalone Blu-Ray players right now...also the PS3 does not use the Reon chip correct?

is there anything coming out in the near future that might be worth holding out for and is there anything better out now worth buying?...thanks for any help
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page