OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 356 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10651 of 16817 Old 12-29-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I need to get a couple basic bluray player I see the LG BD570 at amazon for $150 to my door is this ia good unit, what else should I get or look at?

I am putting this up on a 100+ inch screen with a d2v video processor that will up convert so the player doesn't have to do that.

I am tempted to get the oppo but I think $500 is to much for a bluray player these days and I don't need all the features anyhow. This will be used mostly for basic watching of dvd's and blurays.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10652 of 16817 Old 12-29-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethBullock View Post

Sony BDP-S570 vs. Panny BD65. Which one should I get?

First and foremost, BD/DVD upconverted image quality.

I don't really care whether or not it has WiFi built in. I don't really care if it is 3-D capable, as I don't plan on getting a new TV anytime soon. No immediate plans to use AV receiver for anything other than audio (I want a new AV, but just can't afford any of the ones I want right now).

Would like to stay at or under $150 price point. The Sony and Panny are the two players I'm looking at, but if you have any suggestions as to a different brand/model, please feel free to add them (unless it's an LG. I'm forbidden by my wife from buying anything LG because LG "Corporate" really screwed her and her employer a couple of years ago).

You'll have to open your wallet for great upconversion. Sony and the Panny 65 only have so-so upconversion. I've read the panny 85 has better conversion but haven't seen it myself. Some sammy's have very good upconversion.
post #10653 of 16817 Old 12-29-2010, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by programmergeek View Post

I need to get a couple basic bluray player I see the LG BD570 at amazon for $150 to my door is this ia good unit, what else should I get or look at?

I am putting this up on a 100+ inch screen with a d2v video processor that will up convert so the player doesn't have to do that.

I am tempted to get the oppo but I think $500 is to much for a bluray player these days and I don't need all the features anyhow. This will be used mostly for basic watching of dvd's and blurays.

I didn't think that the LG BD570 would output 480i over HDMI, i.e. doesn't have source direct. Isn't that what you would want for DVD's to be processed by your d2v?
post #10654 of 16817 Old 12-29-2010, 12:31 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

You'll have to open your wallet for great upconversion. Sony and the Panny 65 only have so-so upconversion. I've read the panny 85 has better conversion but haven't seen it myself. Some sammy's have very good upconversion.

Thanks for the reply. Not necessarily looking for 'great' upconversion, just what is better between the Sony and the Panny. The Panny 85 is the one I was originally looking at, but I didn't pull the trigger before the price at BB went back up.

Now added Samsung BD-C6500 to the mix. Any thoughts on which of these have the better upconversion?
post #10655 of 16817 Old 12-29-2010, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, don't know if anyone's tested them head to head. All I know is I see jaggies at times on the 65 and some claim the 85 is better. You'll have to check the sammy thread and judge for yourself.
post #10656 of 16817 Old 12-29-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethBullock View Post

Thanks for the reply. Not necessarily looking for 'great' upconversion, just what is better between the Sony and the Panny. The Panny 85 is the one I was originally looking at, but I didn't pull the trigger before the price at BB went back up.

Now added Samsung BD-C6500 to the mix. Any thoughts on which of these have the better upconversion?

I just got done testing both the Sony S570 and the Samsung BD-C6500.

The Samsung never had problems with deinterlacing when upconverting, and the Sony did (infrequently).

The Samsung also had, to my eyes, better PQ in general - sharper image, more detail, processed difficult material more easily. Occasionally, the Samsung seemed to be hampered a bit by fast panning motion, but otherwise it was solid.

The Sony was generally very solid as well, and it's softer picture sometimes was an advantage on lower quality DVD transfers, but it lacked the overall punch of the Samsung, and it would occasionally have trouble with 3:2 conversion, though nothing as bad as Sony's upconverting DVD players from several years ago.
post #10657 of 16817 Old 12-29-2010, 04:30 PM

Looking for:

Good Blu Ray image quality
Good DVD upscaling
Dvix/MKV etc
Reliable
Relatively Inexpensive
Can be made region free for Blu-Ray and DVD
Prefer Wireless
Not a crappy brand like Soniq

I was looking at a BD560. Can these be made region free? What other models/brands?

Cheers
post #10658 of 16817 Old 12-29-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

OPPO BDP-93, $499.

-Bill

Thanks, Bill. I guess I should have stated "is there anything besides the Oppo," I'm looking for a new player for out bedroom and really don't want to spend that much for this player; I'd like to keep it below $250, if possible. Is there anything else out there, or is the BDP-93 the only game in town?

Thanks again!
post #10659 of 16817 Old 12-29-2010, 05:04 PM

I'm looking for a blu-ray player with built-in wifi and Netflix (Full Netflix interface). I'm not looking for a specific brand. I'd prefer a cheaper price. My in-laws are looking for one specifically for Netflix even more so than the ability to play blu-rays. haha.... I convinced them they'll want the blu-rays soon enough anyways. I'm not sure if they all do this, but a blu-ray player with progressive scan to up DVD quality. Thanks
post #10660 of 16817 Old 12-29-2010, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
BDP-93 the only game in town
the answer is yes.

I found the panasonic 85/65 to have the best netflix compared to sony and insignia. the only full version is either the roku or the ps3.
Jacob
post #10661 of 16817 Old 12-29-2010, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Word on the street is the latest insignias have a full netflix interface (search, categories, etc.) as of a few weeks ago. I don't have one, so I can't confirm. I agree Panny is indeed more solid at streaming than previous insignias (no freezes, less buffering, etc.).
post #10662 of 16817 Old 12-29-2010, 07:42 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I found the panasonic 85/65 to have the best netflix compared to sony and insignia. the only full version is either the roku or the ps3.

Wrong. LG and Samsung do far better than Panny.
post #10663 of 16817 Old 12-29-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I doubt that.

Jacob
post #10664 of 16817 Old 12-29-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I doubt that.

Jacob

Why?
post #10665 of 16817 Old 12-29-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:

...the only full version is either the roku or the ps3.
Jacob

The Samsung 6500 has the full version of Netflix.
post #10666 of 16817 Old 12-30-2010, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I have have read mostly bad reviews or experts telling me to stay away from samsung blu ray players. they had alot of trouble. I dont know if they ever fixed them or not. better to be safe then sorry. I am not really familar with the LG players. I cannt really comment on them. from my experince, panasonic was the best. the panasonic has it own problems. which is why I own two oppo players.

Jacob
post #10667 of 16817 Old 12-30-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, don't know if anyone's tested them head to head. All I know is I see jaggies at times on the 65 and some claim the 85 is better. You'll have to check the sammy thread and judge for yourself.

I did not feel that the Panny 85 had very good upconversion at all. In fact, it was downright terrible using my American Beauty SD DVD when viewed side by side using several players in a mini-shootout I performed. The ABT chip in my receiver and in my Oppo BDP-83 were flawless. The Oppo BDP-80 was OK, but definitely a notch below. The Panny 85 and Denon 1610 were both pretty bad. The only player that upconverted nearly as well as the ABT chip was a Pioneer 320 (not on difficult test patterns, but on real world comparisons). All of my testing was done side-by-side with 2 identical discs in 2 different players at a time so that I could flip back and forth. The movies were viewed on a 1080p projector zoomed down to around 85".

Unfortunately, I didn't test any Sony or Samsung machines, as I was looking for a player with "source direct" so that I could sell the BDP-83 and use the ABT chip in my receiver for upscaling instead. I only did the upconversion comparisons for fun as I assumed I'd be sending a 480i signal to the receiver and letting it do the upconversion (which I am). All of the players I tested had the source direct feature except the Panny 85 which I bought because I heard it had good upscaling on it's own. It was promptly returned along with everything but the Pioneer 320 (now retired and hard to find).
post #10668 of 16817 Old 12-30-2010, 10:56 AM

Hi folks, recommendations appreciated:

The viewers: Non video/audiophile savvy family.

The system:
  • TV: Older Panasonic 1080p plasma (2007 model, not Viera - don't remember model # but I get it if helpful)
  • A/V Receiver: Yamaha RX-V663
  • Speakers: Cambridge Soundworks center, front and rear speakers plus sub-woofer (5.1 system)
  • Running FIOS STB/DVR into HDMI input on V663 plus optical for sound
  • Will run Blue Ray into second HDMI input on V663 plus optical for sound
  • Running HDMI from A/V receiver to TV for picture
What I would like in Blue Ray player:
  • Built in Wf-Fi for streaming Netflix and other services very important
  • Still watching a lot of regular DVD's so good DVD performance is desirable
  • Good Blue Ray performance (who doesn't want this?)
  • Advanced Blue Ray features, recording capability, etc. not important
  • Fast start-up and disc loading - several folks in my brood are very impatient - important
  • Not interested in 3D[/u]
  • Budget friendly player. I don't think my system will display, or the audience will appreciate, the subtleties in performance between various players and/or the most advanced models. I'm hoping I can get a model on sale for $200 or less that meets my requirements but this thread may enlighten me.

I hope this helps folks provide a recommendation. Happy to update if that is not the case.
post #10669 of 16817 Old 12-30-2010, 11:12 AM

Great thread, but everytime someone posts a good review about say the Panny 85 , someone else says there bad, another says oh this Samsung is good, another touts all Samsungs are no good. So besides the all powerful Oppo's which although once great and a good buy as well, now have gone through the roof at $499. Great players If you "could" get one, but how about players for the less endowed among us?
How are the LG's anyway. I did hear panny's are good as well, especially on CD's
Is there anything out there that actually can play regular DVD's,Blu-ray and CD's as well reliably ?
post #10670 of 16817 Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd trust posts like jk's and dj's above and take others with a grain of salt. They're the only ones who've actually done a side-by-side comparison of the models in question. Others are simply reposts of here-say, assumptions and opinions. Unless the poster has actually seen the test results or link to someone else who has, the information is worthless. If one person has a bad experience with any player and posts a lot, it seems as if the whole brand is bad. This is simply not the case.
post #10671 of 16817 Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopy View Post

Hi folks, recommendations appreciated:

The viewers: Non video/audiophile savvy family.

The system:
[*]TV: Older Panasonic 1080p plasma (2007 model, not Viera - don't remember model # but I get it if helpful)[*]A/V Receiver: Yamaha RX-V663[*]Speakers: Cambridge Soundworks center, front and rear speakers plus sub-woofer (5.1 system)[*]Running FIOS STB/DVR into HDMI input on V663 plus optical for sound[*]Will run Blue Ray into second HDMI input on V663 plus optical for sound[*]Running HDMI from A/V receiver to TV for picture

What I would like in Blue Ray player:
[*]Built in Wf-Fi for streaming Netflix and other services very important[*]Still watching a lot of regular DVD's so good DVD performance is desirable[*]Good Blue Ray performance (who doesn't want this?)[*]Advanced Blue Ray features, recording capability, etc. not important[*]Fast start-up and disc loading - several folks in my brood are very impatient - important[*]Not interested in 3D[*]Budget friendly player. I don't think my system will display, or the audience will appreciate, the subtleties in performance between various players and/or the most advanced models. I'm hoping I can get a model on sale for $200 or less that meets my requirements but this thread may enlighten me.

I hope this helps folks provide a recommendation. Happy to update if that is not the case.

I liked the DVD output of the Sony BDPS370 when I owned it so the wifi version S570 should be good. Has Netflix and is very fast. TBH, all players seem to be fast these days and most wifi players will probably come with 3D whether you want it or not. Blu-ray looks the same on all of them, IMO. Most players, even top model ones like the S570, are less than $200

The sleeper must awaken.
post #10672 of 16817 Old 12-30-2010, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

you know how the price is cheap on dvd players. people expect that with the blu ray with the 250 price. its not there yet. I dont know if it will be there or not. you all remember the rule about get what you pay for.

Jacob
post #10673 of 16817 Old 12-30-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsmooth View Post

Great thread, but everytime someone posts a good review about say the Panny 85 , someone else says there bad, another says oh this Samsung is good, another touts all Samsungs are no good. So besides the all powerful Oppo's which although once great and a good buy as well, now have gone through the roof at $499. Great players If you "could" get one, but how about players for the less endowed among us?
How are the LG's anyway. I did hear panny's are good as well, especially on CD's
Is there anything out there that actually can play regular DVD's,Blu-ray and CD's as well reliably ?

Just for clarification, the Oppo players haven't "gone through the roof". Their first Blu-Ray player (BDP-83) was $499 and their current Blu-Ray player (BDP-93 - just released last week) is $499. They did have a cheaper player that was offered for about 9 months or so in between these 2 players and that was the BDP-80. It didn't have a "name brand" video chip (ABT, Marvel) like the other 2 players, but was still decent for it's price at $289.

How big is your display anyway and how far are you sitting from it? If you're worrying about upconversion on a 50" display from 10-12 feet, I doubt you'd see much difference in most decent players. If your display is larger or you sit closer, than upconversion quality does matter.

Also, have you checked out Winston's site? He has subjective rankings of players (including DVD upconversion) as well as synthetic testing results using various test patterns/cadences. I don't quite agree with his Oppo BDP-80 subjective DVD upconversion ranking after doing my own mini shootout, but I'm sure we were using different DVDs and different sized displays.

http://winstonsreviews.com/?page_id=63
post #10674 of 16817 Old 12-30-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

you know how the price is cheap on dvd players. people expect that with the blu ray with the 250 price. its not there yet. I dont know if it will be there or not. you all remember the rule about get what you pay for.

Jacob

Everyone needs to keep in mind that Jacob is enamored with Oppo, so take what he says with a grain of salt.

$250 players are there and have been for some time. I've had 5 Blu Ray players over the last couple of years for various reasons. All have been under $250 and all have worked great for what they did, including my latest purchase of the Panny 350 that has played everything I've thrown at it and streams Netfilx, youtube and Amazon flawlessly (and I paid less than $200 for it).

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #10675 of 16817 Old 12-30-2010, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

what about it.. I guess I forget that sometimes people cannt afford to pay that much for a player. I also have my limits as well. if you can afford to get the oppo. then go for it.
I just was not happy with the 250 price ones. I will give proper credit to panasonic for the best netflix. if people are interested in that. as a blu ray player.. the oppo is still king.
like i have said before. oppo gets more right then wrong then most players do. some players are released when they are not ready or not working.
Jacob

PS. stewie. I am surprise that you didnt know that they finally released the oppo 93 to the public.
post #10676 of 16817 Old 12-30-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I forget that sometimes people cannt afford to pay that much for a player.

LOL, it has nothing to do with what people can afford. I guarantee you, I can buy and sell you many times over.

Quote:

if you can afford to get the oppo. then go for it.

Incorrect. Unless you need specific features of the Oppo (mainly it's ability as a universal player), you're throwing your money away by buying one. If you do need those things, however, the Oppo is fantastic.

Quote:

as a blu ray player.. the oppo is still king.

Also incorrect. As a blu ray player, almost all players are equal.

We get it Jacob, for months all you did was bash every player and tell people to get the Oppo 83. Now, you're doing the same thing with the 93. You love it. We understand, but it doesn't fit the criteria of 95% (or more) of the people looking for a blu ray player. Not everyone has the need to feel like part of a club, and a sense of belonging that the Oppo brings you.

Quote:

PS. stewie. I am surprise that you didnt know that they finally released the oppo 93 to the public.

I either forgot or had already unsubscribed from that thread when it happened.

post #10677 of 16817 Old 12-30-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess we have to agree to disagree. if you are happy with the other players. then fine. I dont care. however just want to help others that want a fine player. telling them what I think. some might agree or disagree.
the oppo is a universal player. i dont do the DLA whatever the heck it called. I know that its important to some. I dont do the sacd either. I mostly use as a blu ray player.
lets not forget the awesome customer service from oppo. that is where it really stands. I think most people will agree with that. I dont remember getting that kind of support from sony or insignia. I did get a bit from panasonic. but they were a bit more slow then oppo. oppo is a small company. its more about the word of mouth that helps.

Jacob
post #10678 of 16817 Old 12-30-2010, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I mostly use as a blu ray player.

You wasted a lot of money for just a blu ray player, IMO.

Quote:

lets not forget the awesome customer service from oppo. that is where it really stands.

Yep, it is, but it's not worth $300 (or more). I've never even needed to contact support for any of my other players and they've all received pretty regular updates too.

post #10679 of 16817 Old 12-30-2010, 02:14 PM

Max price range, $220. Would prefer $150-$180.

Must Have:
  • All around solid bluray playback. Not overly worried about load times, just as long as it plays without any flaws.
  • Built in Wifi
  • Best Possible Netflix stream (using wifi) and complete Netflix interface
  • Best possible upconversion of DVDs (still have plenty of those)

Would be nice:
  • mkv support, streamed from PC, and/or hardwired (external hard drive hooked up via usb)
  • Some sort of video rental service, not picky

Don't care about:
  • 3D
  • Social networking applications
post #10680 of 16817 Old 12-30-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Sometimes people don't know they need a feature until they encounter a player that has it. Then it becomes indispensable. And sometimes people assume all players support features that they're used to having, and are then upset when a new BD player lacks it. Then they're pissed off.

Examples of the first: zooming; movable subtitles.

Examples of the second: all outputs active simultaneously; disk progress memory.

When we recommend "just about any player will meet your needs," we should note that we're only talking about needs that were listed. And assuming systems that are configured simply and conventionally.

One of the reasons the Oppo 83/93 are so popular is that they include a lot of these "small but useful" features -- some of which are very common on standard DVD players -- that many BD players lack.

So it's not just about basic BD functionality, which I agree is not a factor when choosing a player. It's about features.

Most of the people asking for advice don't ask about these kinds of minor features. They should be encouraged to think about their systems as a whole, and ask themselves questions like "do I need to feed more than one display?" "Am I interested in a constant-image-height display?" "Do I frequently have to suspend viewing of a movie?" Because it's questions like these that often lead to people coming back here asking about their second BD player.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page