OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 395 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11821 of 16808 Old 07-07-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The sound of crickets is because there aren't any blu-ray players that play as many video file types as the PS3.

Well... there are some that are pretty capable:

PS3 video formats:

Memory Stick Video Format
- MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
- MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)

MP4 file format
MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
MPEG-2 TS(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3(Dolby Digital), AAC LC)
MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
AVI
- Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
- Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
DivX
WMV
- VC-1(WMA Standard V2)

Oppo 93 formats:

Video -

ASF (Advanced Systems Format)
AVCHD
AVI (Audio Video Interleave)
DIVX Media Format
GIF
ISO
JPG
M2TS (BDAV MPEG-2 Transport Stream)
M4A (same as MP4)
M4V (same as MP4)
MKV (Matroska, both .mkv and .mka)
MP4
MPG (MPEG-1)
MOV (Quicktime)
OGM
PNG
TS (Transport Stream)
VOB (Video Object)
WMV (Windows Media Video)

Audio:

AAC (Advanced Audio Coding)
APE (Monkey's Audio)
FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)
MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3)
WAV
WMA (Windows Media Audio) (not WMA Pro, Lossless or Voice)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11822 of 16808 Old 07-07-2011, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what video formats does bdt110 play? I put usb in with tons of avi files & didn't recognize anything
post #11823 of 16808 Old 07-07-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Well... there are some that are pretty capable...

Impressive. I knew the Oppo could do a lot, but that's the most I've seen in any blu-ray player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post

what video formats does bdt110 play? I put usb in with tons of avi files & didn't recognize anything

Panasonic is pretty pathetic as a video file player. It only recognizes only MKV on USB and MPEG2 and AVCHD via SD per the manual. Canadian models can also play Divx. I've had limited success transcoding other formats via DLNA.
post #11824 of 16808 Old 07-07-2011, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus728 View Post

What is the best standalone player for Blu Ray 3D?

I have a ton of dvds that I still watch, so it needs to be excellent for upconversion.

I will be hooking this up to a new AVR (either onkyo 809, Denon 3312 or Marantz 7005), and connecting the new Sammy plasma 8000 series to it.

Any suggestions? So far, the names of Panasonic BDT 310 comes up quite a lot, as with the Samsungs and Sonys.. i'm looking for something ard 300 bucks... what's good?

The Pannys are definitely great. But you don't need the 310 if you are getting a new AVR. The 210 if you need WiFi, or 110 for wired, provide the same PQ as the 310 (the 310 just offers dual HDMI outs, which you need if you don't have a 3D capable AVR).
post #11825 of 16808 Old 07-08-2011, 06:04 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunks67 View Post

Does it do Vudu though?

Still taking suggestions fir a player that does all 3. Amazon VOD, Netflix and Vudu,

-Funk

Yes. I have the Sony BDP-S370 which is the retail version of the BDP-BX37. It doesn't have vudu (I don't use it) It has netflix (with full search ability) and amazon VOD (including free streaming instant video for amazon prime).

The 2011 models BDP-S480 and BDP-BX47 do have vudu in addition to netflix and amazon.
post #11826 of 16808 Old 07-08-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:

Post your must-have types and it will be easier to narrow it down. I can tell you that Insignia does most everything except Divx. LG does several, possibly Oppo as well. If you have a good DLNA server that can transcode, any DLNA player should work, although not necessarily from USB.

Thanks, good idea. So I think this would be a good list:

- MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)

MP4 file format
AVI
- Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
DivX

Does anything come close to that?
post #11827 of 16808 Old 07-08-2011, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast23 View Post

Thanks, good idea. So I think this would be a good list:

- MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)

MP4 file format
AVI
- Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
DivX

Does anything come close to that?

Look at my post above (5 posts up). It also does DLNA 1.5 quite well, and has both USB and eSATA disk connectivity for media.
post #11828 of 16808 Old 07-08-2011, 12:16 PM

1. Play blu-rays
2. Play Netflix with 5.1 dolby
3. Read NTFS. (if possible HFS+ as well)
4. Can play MKV and most formats from USB
post #11829 of 16808 Old 07-08-2011, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
For the first two items, I think it's just the PS3 and the newest Panasonics.
post #11830 of 16808 Old 07-09-2011, 08:03 AM

I am having a heck of a time deciding between these three (PS3, Sony BDP-S570, or the Panny 210), which are all reasonably-priced, decent Bluray players.

I love gaming so I am already aware of the "gaming" pro for the PS3 so I'd like to focus on the non-gaming capabilities of the PS3 if possible.

What would you guys say are the huge pros/cons to each? And, as an aside, is the Panny 310 worth it compared to the 210? What would I need the dual HDMI outs for (I recently bought a Panny GT30 plasma).

Also, what of Netflix/Pandora support?

Thanks!
post #11831 of 16808 Old 07-09-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
The ps3 has media server support also which is great. Play movies, music, and pictures that have been ripped to your pc instantly. You can browse the internet with ps3, watch netflix, hulu plus, I believe pandora but haven't tried it yet, and if you get a used older non slim ps3 you can play sacds also. Its highly customizeable And it plays games. I have found used 40 gig ps3's on craigslist for as little as $100. I got mine from a friend for $50. I've had 2 other blu ray players from sony (301 I believe and the 360) and the ps3 is easily the best. If you need more hard drive you can buy a notebook hard drive that's 500 gig for $50 and install it in literally 5 minutes or less giving you the equivelant of a very expensive ps3.

A used older ps3 will get my recommendation for blu ray player for a long time until something a lot better comes out. I don't think that will happen till they make players that do all that and cooks your dinner. The wife has to do for that part for the time being.
post #11832 of 16808 Old 07-09-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticDuality View Post
I am having a heck of a time deciding between these three (PS3, Sony BDP-S570, or the Panny 210), which are all reasonably-priced, decent Bluray players.

I love gaming so I am already aware of the "gaming" pro for the PS3 so I'd like to focus on the non-gaming capabilities of the PS3 if possible.

What would you guys say are the huge pros/cons to each? And, as an aside, is the Panny 310 worth it compared to the 210? What would I need the dual HDMI outs for (I recently bought a Panny GT30 plasma).

Also, what of Netflix/Pandora support?
I recommend the 210 (IMO, you're better off with a dedicated BluRay player than a PS3; the PS3 is a bit dated today, and IMO other players are better, especially for upscaling DVDs). The 210 does play Netflix and Pandora. You only need the 310 w/ dual HDMI outs if your AVR is not 3D compatible. Otherwise, the 210 and 310 are the same.
post #11833 of 16808 Old 07-09-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I'll concede that the ps3 is a bit dated as far as age goes in the whole blu ray scheme of things, but overall as a feature filled player the ps3 has no rival.

I've never seen the panny so I can't give a 1 to 1 compare but will tell you that the ps3 has a great picture. Even if the panny gets it in dvd upscaling and overall picture quality it will be marginal at best. That for me isn't enough to get past the feartures included with the ps3. Its just a few steps away from being a full blown htpc. And all at a price of $150 or less on the used market. Sometimes a lot less.
post #11834 of 16808 Old 07-09-2011, 04:24 PM

Okay, I do need a bit of help, but first - regarding this thread... 395 pages, started in 2008? Any chance we could talk someone into getting a new one. I read through several pages, but this is just painful.

Anyway, I just got the panasonic 210, and... epic fail.

It doesn't play divx or mkv files from my DNS-323. So, this is what I'm looking for:

Network connectivity (doesn't have to be wifi).
DLNA
Plays Divx, MKVs from NTFS
Pandora
Vudu, and some other streaming movie services would be nice to have.

I have an LG BD390 which works well but is a bit dated. I looked at the 550, and read that it wasn't DLNA compatible. Sooo, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
post #11835 of 16808 Old 07-10-2011, 03:43 PM

I purchased a blue ray player today, I said I would never do it. So why did I? We'll... Got a new ht and put my old one in ,y kids playroom with their video games so when I ever want to watch a DVD it would not be able to play in my main area.

So... Here is my question, went to Costco, they had lg, panasonic and vizio, and Sony I was about to get the lg but realized that it did not have built in wifi. For about $10 more I got this vizio for $110.00. I thought that made sense.model vrb 231

Funny I did. Not like the look of this one but. Oh well. Seemed the best for the money.

This was somewhat of an impulse purchase. Were there features I should be looking at?

Lastly, I currently do not have Netflix but if I get it can you stream blue ray? Or is it just on the disc?
post #11836 of 16808 Old 07-10-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbvaj View Post

1. Play blu-rays
2. Play Netflix with 5.1 dolby
3. Read NTFS. (if possible HFS+ as well)
4. Can play MKV and most formats from USB

I'd like to know this as well. I'm looking for something that can play DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA .mkv files from an NTFS USB Hard Drive. I have a PS3 but you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get to play it (Split files in to 4gig because it can only read FAT32, Change the headers of a DTS to PCM so it will play audio, etc)
post #11837 of 16808 Old 07-10-2011, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benalexe View Post

Lastly, I currently do not have Netflix but if I get it can you stream blue ray? Or is it just on the disc?

BluRay is a high def type of DVD. You can buy the discs or rent them (Netflix does carry them). You can also stream movies from Netflix over the web using BluRay players such as the one you bought (Netflix charges less to just stream than they do to rent the actual discs through the mail). You cannot stream BluRay, but you can stream movies.
post #11838 of 16808 Old 07-11-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by benalexe View Post

Full name is "Blu-ray Disc".
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

BluRay is a high def type of DVD.

Blu-ray Disc is not DVD. It does not use DVD media and it does not use DVD-Video encoding. It just happens to have the same physical appearance and size as DVD disc, but this is nothing more but a convenience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

You cannot stream BluRay, but you can stream movies.

Netflx HD is about 5 Mbit/s, while Blu-ray Disc allows up to 40 Mbit/s, average movie from my collection hover around 25 Mbit/s. It will take a while for online services to offer bitrates like this.
post #11839 of 16808 Old 07-11-2011, 09:33 PM

my samsung bd p3600 died tonight frozen on the load screen and load status and i can't get it off the screen.

I'm now in the market for a new machine it seems. One of the features we used the most on the Samsung was the ability to play .avi files from the USB drive. I think this is referred to as divx support but im not sure. What players will allow me to do this currently? Any ideas? Thanks.
post #11840 of 16808 Old 07-11-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFactor View Post

my samsung bd p3600 died tonight frozen on the load screen and load status and i can't get it off the screen.

I'm now in the market for a new machine it seems. One of the features we used the most on the Samsung was the ability to play .avi files from the USB drive. I think this is referred to as divx support but im not sure. What players will allow me to do this currently? Any ideas? Thanks.

I hate to say it but this is one of the most commonly discussed topics in the thread. AFAIK, you are correct that avi files are generally encoded with divx but there are variations. My Panasonic BDT110 does not seem to play divx from usb.

People in this thread seem to like a brand I am not familiar with Oppo.

Quote:

Impressive. I knew the Oppo could do a lot, but that's the most I've seen in any blu-ray player.

Panasonic is pretty pathetic as a video file player. It only recognizes only MKV on USB and MPEG2 and AVCHD via SD per the manual. Canadian models can also play Divx. I've had limited success transcoding other formats via DLNA.

Hmmm.... is it possible to put Canadian firmware on this player? From browsing the site I cant find the firmware but a comparison chart states that the 210 and 310 can play divx but the 110 can't.

Do 2011 Panasonic TVs have the same issue or do they play more formats?
post #11841 of 16808 Old 07-12-2011, 07:48 AM

Liked: 12
Right now I have the Oppo 83 and had it about a year before the 93 came out. I was a little mad that I fell into the should of waited category again with new tech that comes out.

The 83's seem to be selling fairly well on ebay and was thinking of selling and getting the 93. Right now my display is not 3D but plan on moving in that direction in the future if 3D sticks around. I do not have any access to apps right now so that would be a plus with the 93.

I guess my question is, Is there some super 3D player coming out in the near future or is this going to last me awhile in the blu ray player tech department?

I am using the dedicated stereo outs on the 83 for cd/sacd. What is my alternative on the 93 seeing how I thought I read it doesn't have these? Am I losing sound quality?

post #11842 of 16808 Old 07-12-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLocal175 View Post

Right now I have the Oppo 83 and had it about a year before the 93 came out. I was a little mad that I fell into the should of waited category again with new tech that comes out.

The 83's seem to be selling fairly well on ebay and was thinking of selling and getting the 93. Right now my display is not 3D but plan on moving in that direction in the future if 3D sticks around. I do not have any access to apps right now so that would be a plus with the 93.

I guess my question is, Is there some super 3D player coming out in the near future or is this going to last me awhile in the blu ray player tech department?

I am using the dedicated stereo outs on the 83 for cd/sacd. What is my alternative on the 93 seeing how I thought I read it doesn't have these? Am I losing sound quality?

This question probably should be at the 93 / 83 thread, but... Depending on what you're using for HT, it shouldn't be a problem. If you're using HDMI for regular HT viewing, there's nothing that would prevent you from using the 5.1 FL, FR for two channel listening. I haven't heard of any comparisons between the 83 dedicated and the 93 FL FR's, but a word in the 93 thread should get you some info.

If you really want dedicated stereo outs, and are willing to spend the extra $400 for the 95, you could do that, but I think the 93 should be enough. Depends on your needs, since the 95 is a significant analog upgrade, but not needed if you're doing mostly HDMI and are satisfied with the FL and FR of the 93.
post #11843 of 16808 Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLocal175 View Post

With the BDP-93 you can use the FR/FL outputs with downmix set to stereo. The DACs are the same as the multichannel versions on the BDP-83, not the more expensive dedicated stereo DACs. You should ask for opinions on the -93 thread, whether it makes a big difference.

The audiophile upgrade is the BDP-95, but the price is double. It has two sets of dedicated stereo outputs: standard and XLR.

-Bill
post #11844 of 16808 Old 07-12-2011, 10:01 AM

Liked: 12
I have a older Denon 4800 I'm using with the analog and I'm quite happy with that. Like I said I have the Oppo set up for the dedicated stereo but I really don't use it that often.

I guess the main reason for the upgrade would be for the apps and 3D. I just don't want to buy the 93 now and then some other 3D player is needed in the near future.

post #11845 of 16808 Old 07-12-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I got the oppo 83 player back in april of 2010. I had it for several months. I ended up selling it after I had gotten the new oppo 93 player. they are both fine players for differnt reasons. do you use dvd upconversion with the 24P? if you do then you want to keep the oppo 83. the 24P for dvds is missing on the 93. the netflix works great on my plasma tv, however if you have a tv that does 120 refresh rate stuff then it might be a bit difficult. its a bit choppy in playing netflix. I dont really play music on it and I use HDMI instead of the analogs. if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Jacob
post #11846 of 16808 Old 07-12-2011, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Every year, Oppo and other manufacturers will come out with new models with some improvements and new features, so you're asking an impossible question. Next year there will likely be a 103 and 105, but you can play the waiting game forever.
post #11847 of 16808 Old 07-13-2011, 03:32 AM

Liked: 19
I need advice. I am thinking of purchasing the OPPO 93. What I need to know is how much better is the picture quality of Blu rays and DVDs on the OPPO 93 compared to the Panasonic 210. I am not interested in the internet stuff. Thank you for any help!!!!
post #11848 of 16808 Old 07-13-2011, 05:55 AM

I need some help picking a player. Recently, I finally got around to upgrading my 7 year old Pioneer Elite 54TX AVR to a Elite 33TX with HDMI, etc... Unfortunately, I didn't realize that my Sony BDP-500 didn't allow for DTS-MA, sigh...So it looks like I need a newer Blu-Ray player.
My only needs with it are fast loading speeds ( the 500 is sllooooowwwww), and of course it needs to play all the sound formats lol. I'm not interested in 3d, or any of the apps like netflix, etc.. I have a Tivo HD that performs those functions. Lastly, the lower cost the better! Thanks!!
post #11849 of 16808 Old 07-13-2011, 05:56 AM

Hello guys -

I was hoping someone could shed light on comparing these two models. Features wise the 6700 has 2 HDMI outputs, 2D-3D conversion.

I was wondering more on the picture quality and blu-ray performance. I wonder why the BD-D6500 is disregarded so badly, where as BD-D6700 is appreciated. I am leaning towards Samsung Bd-D6500 as compared to Panasonic DMP-BDT210.. but now after reading the -ve reviews on 6500 not so sure. But then I came across BD-D6700 which has far better ratings, but after reading further it looks like BD-D6700 is the same as 6500 sans the additional features mentioned above, in which case I wonder why the negativity on the 6500?

Any clues will be appreciated.
post #11850 of 16808 Old 07-13-2011, 06:00 AM

BD-D6700 also has onboard memory. Does that help in the performance of the player or is it solely for BD-Live....
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page