OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

If you have a HDMI 1.3 A/V receiver capable of decoding TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, then I would recommend the Panasonic BD30K.

Otherwise, I would wait.

I don't think you'll have to wait long, see the CES announcements next week.

Unless I am mistaken, the Panasonic website says the BD-30K will decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. Is that not right? I would like to keep my Onkyo 804 for at least another year before I upgrade.

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Matty View Post

It looks like I am going format neutral. I can afford a $400ish BD-30 but can't afford to upgrade my receiver for at least another year. With my Toshiba A-2 I get Dolby TrueHD decoded by the A-2 and sent bitstream to the Onkyo 804. Will the BD-30 do this as well?

Greg

Hi Greg,

Your HD-A2 can not decode Dolby TrueHD and send it as bitstream to your receiver. However, it can decode it and send it as multichannel PCM via its HDMI connection. Your Onkyo can handle the PCM.

Your HD-A2 can send standard Dolby Digital and dts as bitstream over an SPDIF connection and your Onkyo can decode them.

The BD-30 can not decode Dolby TrueHD and send it via multichannel PCM to a receiver. It can send Dolby TrueHD as bitstream over HDMI to a receiver that is capable of decoding TrueHD.

Quote:

Unless I am mistaken, the Panasonic website says the BD-30K will decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. Is that not right? I would like to keep my Onkyo 804 for at least another year before I upgrade.

You are mistaken. It will not decode these advanced codecs. It will transmit as bitstream to a receiver that can decode them. I don't think your Onkyo will do that.

Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 10:21 AM

For BD player currently on the market, look at the Panny BD30. Highly regarded as probably the most bang for your buck BD player out right now and is profile 1.1
post #94 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 10:25 AM

PS3 all the way. It will also be up to date. PLUS............you can do so much more, even if you don't play video games, it's like having a computer hooked up to your TV.
post #95 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosebump View Post

Thanks for clarifying this for me. One question:
Is there an advantage to internally decoding TrueHD (i.e. new BD50) if my receiver is non-hdmi (mine is a Denon AVR-1603 with two options: Digital Optical or 5.1 analog)

thanks

Hi,

Hopefully bfdtv will correct me if I'm incorrect, but here is my take on your question. If your receiver is non-HDMI the new BD-50 will permit you to decode and send TrueHD via the analog outputs.

Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #96 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi Greg,

Your HD-A2 can not decode Dolby TrueHD and send it as bitstream to your receiver. However, it can decode it and send it as multichannel PCM via its HDMI connection. Your Onkyo can handle the PCM.

Your HD-A2 can send standard Dolby Digital and dts as bitstream over an SPDIF connection and your Onkyo can decode them.

The BD-30 can not decode Dolby TrueHD and send it via multichannel PCM to a receiver. It can send Dolby TrueHD as bitstream over HDMI to a receiver that is capable of decoding TrueHD.

You are mistaken. It will not decode these advanced codecs. It will transmit as bitstream to a receiver that can decode them. I don't think your Onkyo will do that.

Larry

Thanks for the clarification. Look's like I'll need a new receiver to go with a BD player. I doubt I can sell my 804 for more than $400 so I may have to wait for a while.

Greg
post #97 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 11:08 AM

So what's the bottom line for a user like me who doesn't have much tech info. After yesterday's announcement I am also planing to get a Bluray player. Right now I am using A2 with my Onkyo receiver which doesn't have HDMI input but I still can get DTS using optical. I have read replies and other threads as well but so much of confused now.
post #98 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Hi,

Hopefully bfdtv will correct me if I'm incorrect, but here is my take on your question. If your receiver is non-HDMI the new BD-50 will permit you to decode and send TrueHD via the analog outputs.

Larry

Ooh, thanks. That's what I was wondering.

So to clarify: even though the BD30 has 5.1 (actually7.1) analog outputs, it won't output TrueHD via analog because it doesn't have the proper DAC or decoder for it? But the BD50 does?
post #99 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 11:28 AM

I am putting together a HT system for a basement which should be finshed in 4-6 weeks. I have a Sony 1080p LCD and an Onkyo 805 receiver. I will go Blu-Ray, but am not necessarily in a big hurry.

Would there be any wisdom in getting a cheap ($60) 1080p upscaling DVD player for now, and waiting a year or so to invest in the Blu-Ray player? Or is waiting a never-ending strategy? Also, I assume if I buy any Blu-Ray discs now those could not be played on the cheapo DVD player, correct? Thanks.
post #100 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So to clarify: even though the BD30 has 5.1 (actually7.1) analog outputs, it won't output TrueHD via analog because it doesn't have the proper DAC or decoder for it? But the BD50 does?

Correct
post #101 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Eldridge View Post

Correct

thanks, just one last question. So the older BD10 could internally decode Analog TrueHD for 5.1 analog output, but the BD30 can't.
If that's the case and I can't wait for the BD50 (which also does), should I get the BD10 instead of the BD30? (Extras like pip don 't matter at all to me; though disc playing reliability & PQ is top priority).

many thanks.
post #102 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification. Look's like I'll need a new receiver to go with a BD player. I doubt I can sell my 804 for more than $400 so I may have to wait for a while.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Why? Can't you use the analog outputs of the BD-50 with your receiver?

Larry

post #103 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Greg,

Why? Can't you use the analog outputs of the BD-50 with your receiver?

Larry

BD-50? I only saw the "30" and the "10" at the Panasonic website. I'll take a look at that model. Thanks.

Greg
post #104 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 12:34 PM

Additionally I am running this into a Toshiba 56MX195 (1080p native, but does not accept 1080p signal).

I will have to output the PS3 as 1080i and let my TV upscale. What are the known issues with this?

What audio options am I going to miss out on in addition to DTS-MA? And how big of a deal is that anyway?

No, not getting a new TV, No, not getting a new AVR.

Is the PS3 going to be a suitable blu solution given my setup or is there another player I might get more out of?

*Edit* shouldn't have made it a seperate thread, sorry, but thanks for the move -

Since it looks like I might finally be suckered into a PS3, I also have a question - how bad is the PS1 and 2 emulation in software on the 80gb model? If I get a PS3, I want the full shebang, and apparently the 40gb model lacks BC. Is it worth tracking down a 60gb model with full Hardware BC? I know this is a gaming related question, but my primary use would be Blu, but this factors into my decision since I am a gamer and will probably use both functions of the system.
post #105 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BD-50? I only saw the "30" and the "10" at the Panasonic website. I'll take a look at that model. Thanks.

Greg

Hi Greg,

I was referring to the CES announcement that I mentioned in Posting #80.

Larry

post #106 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 33
OK - I am an unwashed HD-DVD guy looking at getting a PS3 for BD and video streaming purposes.

This will be hooked up to a Denon 2807 through HDMI and passing through to a Sammy HL-S6188w (1080p TV). The Denon cannot decode the HD audio but it works great with my HD-A2 which decoded TrueHD just fine.

I notice that a lot of the latest BD releases feature DTS-MA as their lossless audio. OK -- I know that the PS3 cannot decode DTS-MA right now. So what will happen when I hook it up and play the DTS-MA track??

Also will PS3 ever be able to decode DTS-MA after a firmware update?

post #107 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post

I notice that a lot of the latest BD releases feature DTS-MA as their lossless audio. OK -- I know that the PS3 cannot decode DTS-MA right now. So what will happen when I hook it up and play the DTS-MA track??

you'll just get the DTS core
Quote:

Also will PS3 ever be able to decode DTS-MA after a firmware update?

no one knows yet

"Why am I Mr. Pink?"
post #108 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacbellguy View Post

I think there should be a clarification of fan noise for the PS3. I'm not sure if the newer models (40 and 80 gig) have that issue.

I have the 60 gig (with some fan noise) and love it. I bought it for BR playback and not only have been very happy with the load speed and quality.. but turns out I'm using it for other purposes as well like some gaming ($10 download games) as well as using it as a music server with the WiFi capabilities and on board hard drive.

Many people here do seem to like the Panasonic.. so I would consider both.

Quote:

I think there should be a clarification of fan noise for the PS3.

I agree with this. My PS3 seems fairly quite to me (I keep it setting vertical so that may have something to do with it. Haven't heard nearly as many complaints about fan noise as I did 6-9 months ago, maybe they're making them quieter now. It might be a subjective thing with some folks just supersensitive to low level noises. I had to laugh about 9 months ago when some guy was complaining about his PS3's fan noise and posted a video of it with him using a mike to record the noise. The funny part was that the video showed him placing the microphone about 6 inches away from the PS3; hardly normal viewing distance.

OP, I'd say if you're sensitive to fan noise at all, stay away from the PS3. You have a wide variety of players to choose from now. Good luck.
post #109 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAdept View Post

Blame it on the different economic models applied to dedicated players vs. game consoles. The PS3 was designed to remain viable for a ten-year lifespan and eventual production on the order of 100 million units. The amount of engineering effort that goes into designing something like this is phenomenal and is hard to beat with a product designed for a niche market and destined to be replaced within a year.

The situation will change as volumes ramp up for dedicated Blu-ray players and off-the-shelf solutions mature, but for now it shouldn't be a surprise that the PS3 holds up incredibly well. It's a very solid design hampered only by its multi-purpose nature.

It does run relatively warm because it's doing virtually everything with fairly general-purpose hardware. This results some people reporting issues with thermal management (fan noise) though many don't experience problems, and it does have the upside of being very upgradable since it's basically 100% software. It doesn't look like a piece of normal AV rack gear. It doesn't use an IR remote control scheme out of the box, and IR add-ons are limited in some ways (inability to turn the unit on and off.)

All-in-all, though, it has held up well for good and valid reasons. Those reasons should change in due course but for now it's a reasonable bet for many people - especially those with HDMI 1.1 receivers that need internal decoding. Many, many insiders have hinted that DTS HD MA support is coming and while it isn't guaranteed I suspect it's a better than 50:50 bet.

Quote:

The PS3 was designed to remain viable for a ten-year lifespan

Yes the PS3 reminds me of robust military grade electronics rather than a piece of consumer electronics. Mine has been running 24/7 since last April (when folding@home came to the PS3) and the only "maintenance" I do to it is to take the vacuum cleaner hose to it to clean away accumulated dust about once a month. Continues to play Blu-ray movies flawlessly. My wife jokes that I'm trying to kill it to have an excuse to get a new stand-alone. I'm beginning to think that I'll be gone before that PS3 dies.
post #110 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCD View Post

I would discourage anyone from getting the PS3 because it does not support DTS-HD/MA, either bitstreaming or via internal decoding. And all of the Fox Blu-Ray lossless titles use DTS-HD/MA. Lots of people are willing to tell you that it will be eventually supported, but the PS3 hardware cannot handle bitstreaming, and any talk of internal decoding support is just speculation - Sony is totally silent on this.

You don't honestly believe the the cell processors can't handle bit streaming DTS-HD do you? I'm sure there's more then enough juice in the PS3 to bit stream any soundtrack to a receiver and more then likely even enough to decode it internally. I think Sony is holding off on this until the stand alone players are able to do it. Sony could piss off everyone else in the BDA if they start giving the PS3 all these capabilities before the other CEs have had a chance to release their stand alone players with internal decoding. Otherwise there would be no incentive for consumers to spend the $$$$ on a top of the line stand alone. Believe me, Sony will come out and support bit streaming the DTS tracks at the very least. They will patch the PS3 to be BD-Live capable also, they said as much at CES.
post #111 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post

I agree with this. My PS3 seems fairly quite to me (I keep it setting vertical so that may have something to do with it. Haven't heard nearly as many complaints about fan noise as I did 6-9 months ago, maybe they're making them quieter now. It might be a subjective thing with some folks just supersensitive to low level noises. I had to laugh about 9 months ago when some guy was complaining about his PS3's fan noise and posted a video of it with him using a mike to record the noise. The funny part was that the video showed him placing the microphone about 6 inches away from the PS3; hardly normal viewing distance.

OP, I'd say if you're sensitive to fan noise at all, stay away from the PS3. You have a wide variety of players to choose from now. Good luck.

I've got the 60GB PS3. It is very loud. Maybe mine is the exception. But it is annoying. Gets pretty hot as well but not nearly as hot as my comcast DVR.
post #112 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Greg,

I was referring to the CES announcement that I mentioned in Posting #80.

Larry

Thanks Larry.

Greg
post #113 of 16995 Old 01-07-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margate21 View Post

i went neutral (can i still use that) tonight panasonic bd30... gotta deal on a openbox +5 instant movies + 5 mir

I just did the same thing. Open box for 379 + 5 movies + 5 mail in.
I am very happy with the PQ on Blu but for SD nothing beats my A3.
post #114 of 16995 Old 01-08-2008, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok...I've been reading posts in the Blu-Ray section till my eyes are ready to bleed. I need you fine BR fans assistance. Here is what I have and what I would like, feature wise, on a BR player.

Onkyo 605
Sony SXRD XBR2

1) HDMI 1.3 (I like bitstreaming)
2) Firmware upgradable
3) An ethernet port would be nice
4) Good SD upconversion not needed (I have an XA2)
5) Cost is a factor (Wife is ticked that we bet on the wrong horse)
6) Proper 1080p/60 output (An issue I had with the Tosh A35)
7) As it goes without saying, a dual format machine is not needed
8) I am definitely not a gamer. PS3 is out of the question

I know you folks are probably sick of all of these questions but
this is really uncharted territory for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #115 of 16995 Old 01-08-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acturbo View Post

I just did the same thing. Open box for 379 + 5 movies + 5 mail in.
I am very happy with the PQ on Blu but for SD nothing beats my A3.

except maybe my xa2. that being said the pq on bd30 is vg. the sq i am still undecided on.
post #116 of 16995 Old 01-08-2008, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Ok...I've been reading posts in the Blu-Ray section till my eyes are ready to bleed. I need you fine BR fans assistance. Here is what I have and what I would like, feature wise, on a BR player.

Onkyo 605
Sony SXRD XBR2

1) HDMI 1.3 (I like bitstreaming)
2) Firmware upgradable
3) An ethernet port would be nice
4) Good SD upconversion not needed (I have an XA2)
5) Cost is a factor (Wife is ticked that we bet on the wrong horse)
6) Proper 1080p/60 output (An issue I had with the Tosh A35)
7) As it goes without saying, a dual format machine is not needed
8) I am definitely not a gamer. PS3 is out of the question

I know you folks are probably sick of all of these questions but
this is really uncharted territory for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...Will

The Panasonic BD30 meets all of your needs. With it hooked up to your Onkyo 605 via HDMI, you will get all of the Hi-Rez audio formats and PQ on Blu-ray is great. Std def DVD PQ is adequate. I also own a Samsung 1200 and Sony 300 and the BD30 is by far the best player in terms of actually playing BD's without complaint.
post #117 of 16995 Old 01-08-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post

My first encounter with the PS3, I went to my friends house to set up some recording. When I got there I could clearly hear it and just dismissed it as an oscillating fan, not taking notice that there wasn't even one in the room. As we set up the mic elsewhere in the house to record vocal tracks, I kept hearing the fan noise being picked up by the mic, low and behold it was the PS3.

This thing wasn't a little noisy. It was LOUD, in a normal room temperature and not enclosed. To the point of distraction in movie viewing. He has the 40g model.
post #118 of 16995 Old 01-08-2008, 09:34 AM

I too am now in the market for BD player since it appears the writing is on the wall. My question relates more around the best player for my current receiver. I have an older B&K AVR 202 that isn't up to date with today's latest audio options (not quite ready to upgrade it as it has been a really great foundation for my system) ~ so I assume my best option would be a player with a built in decoder. Not sure which ones do this ~ sounds like the Panasonic BD10 would be an option? Anything else out there worth looking at or should I wait to see what shakes out at CES?

Thanks
post #119 of 16995 Old 01-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHlDu -DrVaDy View Post

The BD30 is the WORST player for anyone without HDMI 1.3 unfortunately.

I have a Yamaha RX-V2700, which allows 1.3 passthrough, but it doesn't decode. Will the BD30 work for me?

Edit: I'm guessing I should hold out for the newly-announced BD50, correct?
post #120 of 16995 Old 01-08-2008, 09:59 AM

Do any bluray players remember the point at which a movie was stopped after powering off and then back on? I use this feature often on my standard upconverting dvd player, in fact it remembers the stopping points of the last six disks.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page