OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 412 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.

Blu-ray Players

anikun07's Avatar anikun07
07:53 AM Liked: 44
post #12331 of 17307
10-28-2011 | Posts: 1,185
I was wondering if bdps were pretty much the same in terms of qualtiy too. I don't car about netflix or streaming or the like. I just want to to put discs in and play them.

Do the brand names make quality players without networking? Or do they cut quality because it's not the premium lineup? I'm finally interested in owning bd but I just want a disc player with good sdvd upconversion for aroun $100. I was just wondering if all the brands were about the same now that bd has been around a while.

Also, is bd here to stay? They keep changing hdmi standards so I was wondering if bd standards were scheduled for changs tht would require new players like if 4k or 1440p res. was going to be appearing soon.

Thanks in advance!
mdavej's Avatar mdavej
08:44 AM Liked: 430
post #12332 of 17307
10-28-2011 | Posts: 10,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

I was wondering if bdps were pretty much the same in terms of qualtiy too.

Yes
Quote:

Do the brand names make quality players without networking?

Nobody makes blu-ray players without networking.
Quote:

I was just wondering if all the brands were about the same now that bd has been around a while.

They are. The only thing that differentiates players today is features besides blu-ray playback, features like upconversion, audio, streaming, file playback, DLNA, etc.
Quote:

Also, is bd here to stay? They keep changing hdmi standards so I was wondering if bd standards were scheduled for changs tht would require new players like if 4k or 1440p res. was going to be appearing soon.

Who knows, but I think it's safe to say that's years away. If money is a concern, good used players can be had for around $30. When 1440p comes, you'll have to spend several thousand on a new tv and a new player to go with it. If you're concerned about obsolescence, just rent discs instead of buying.

jawwstin,

The panasonic 110 meets all your requirements.
Hyrax's Avatar Hyrax
09:52 AM Liked: 17
post #12333 of 17307
10-28-2011 | Posts: 2,572
Quote:

Also, is bd here to stay?

Pundits seem to think that Blu-Ray is the last physical format we'll see, and that it may well disappear in 5+ years. They all seem to think that the future of video in the home is streaming. I'm not so sure about either philosophy, but it does seem like buying a Blu-Ray player you plan on keeping for several years that can play streamed content is a better idea than buying one that cannot.
09:58 AM Liked: 44
post #12334 of 17307
I'll keep that in mind. I don't think our 768k dsl would suppot streaming well either. I've always wondered why music is still cds and not a flash chip yet, maybe similar to nintendo ds cards.

Anyway, thanks for the food for thought.
hernanu's Avatar hernanu
01:33 PM Liked: 234
post #12335 of 17307
10-28-2011 | Posts: 2,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrat View Post

Looking for a player that will play ALL manner of silver discs Including .mkv's of anime,pal dvd, any region, avchd,avi,divx etc ..3D is a must I dont care about netflix or streaming..
I have a PS3 but it does not do any pal dvd or mkv stuff...trying to avoid the oppo just cause I prefer to buy local..does such a player other than the oppo exist?

Just a question, not criticizing at all, but why do you prefer local?

I only ask because Oppo's service is so good and they bend over backwards for you, so if service is a big reason for going local, then you should consider Oppo's reputation.
wrat's Avatar wrat
02:16 PM Liked: 13
post #12336 of 17307
10-28-2011 | Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Just a question, not criticizing at all, but why do you prefer local?

I only ask because Oppo's service is so good and they bend over backwards for you, so if service is a big reason for going local, then you should consider Oppo's reputation.

I prefer to support local biz
07:34 PM Liked: 44
post #12337 of 17307
Thanks for your responses. I did some brand comparisons and decided on panasonic, now I just need to pick t75, t110, or t210. Since their website shows the 110 having their upconversion feature, I definitely want that but I'm not so sure about the 210 for their digital tube sound and high clarity sound features. I haven't seen reviews on those features yet. Does anyone have experience with panasonics?
BillP's Avatar BillP
08:07 PM Liked: 40
post #12338 of 17307
10-28-2011 | Posts: 13,732
Quote:

I did some brand comparisons and decided on panasonic, now I just need to pick t75, t110, or t210. Since their website shows the 110 having their upconversion feature, I definitely want that but I'm not so sure about the 210 for their digital tube sound and high clarity sound features.

IMO, silly features. Bottom line: if you can connect to the internet wired, go 110; if you need WiFi, go 210; if you have a 3D display but a non-3D receiver and therefore need dual HDMI outs, go 310.
08:33 PM Liked: 44
post #12339 of 17307
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

IMO, silly features. Bottom line: if you can connect to the internet wired, go 110; if you need WiFi, go 210; if you have a 3D display but a non-3D receiver and therefore need dual HDMI outs, go 310.

Thanks. Just wondering what you thought about the difference between 75 and 110? What do you thinj about their Enhanced HDMI Upconversion? I've read their players are supposed to be quite good at playing sdvd.
moxie1617's Avatar moxie1617
09:36 PM Liked: 13
post #12340 of 17307
10-28-2011 | Posts: 2,431
Quote:

Thanks. Just wondering what you thought about the difference between 75 and 110? What do you thinj about their Enhanced HDMI Upconversion? I've read their players are supposed to be quite good at playing sdvd.

The 75 doesn't do 3D, upconversion on the 75 is fine.
09:41 PM Liked: 44
post #12341 of 17307
Thanks so much! This narrows it down. I really appreciate your help.
shanker's Avatar shanker
06:55 PM Liked: 10
post #12342 of 17307
10-29-2011 | Posts: 16
Blu Ray player or HTPC?

I'm looking for a good BR player that will also play 1080P MKV files from BR rips. My Samsung BD-5700 stutters when I play MKVs from USB and its giving me occasional playback issues with the BRs themselves so I want to replace it.

I've been looking at the Marantz UD-5005/Denon 1611/ and the Pioneer Elite. I can also assemble an HTPC for the same money and stream/play whatever I want but can i get the same BR picture quality out of a PC? I watch more BR discs than files.

Thanks for the help!
10:21 PM Liked: 44
post #12343 of 17307
10-29-2011 | Posts: 1,185
I considered going the HTPC route but I decided that using a standalone blu-ray player, for all discs, would consume less energy than my PC. So the only thing I'm concerned about is BD audio playback formats and SDVD upconversion. I'm not too familiar with the different players and their multi-format file playback. I use my pc for all file playback. I figured there's a lot less fuss with trying to figure out compatible audio and video codecs with whatever player I choose.

As for picture quality, I would suspect if your HTPC resolution was the same as your HDTV it wouldn't matter because there's not resolution conversion. I'm not familiar with blu-ray playback and PCs but I would expect video codecs would be installed with the bdp software, but for audio output to the AV receiver I don't know if you would need a compatible sound card or if graphics cards export audio over the HDMI signal. It's been a long time since I've ordered a graphics cards and I'm sure they've come a long way in the last few years...A quick search shows that there are graphics cards that output A/V over the HDMI, so I guess that's a viable route. I think for BD playback a player would work best because it's dedicated for that purpose. Can PCs output the 7.1 audio? I would expect so if it's over HDMI but s/pdif would only do 5.1 unless there are analog outs and a multi-channel input on the receiver. I'm still running an Audigy ZS2 Platinum and use the s/pdif and I know it can only export 5.1 from DVDs, games and audio are only 2 channel unless using the analog outs.

I hope this helps a little or gives some food for thought. Someone with more knowledge in this area can probably give a more informed bit of advice.
Theresa's Avatar Theresa
03:36 AM Liked: 50
post #12344 of 17307
10-30-2011 | Posts: 2,430
I have both a stand alone BD player and a PC one. The stand alone is much more reliable in just playing the disks. I would recommend either an inexpensive Sony or the Oppo 93, a much more advanced player. I have a cheap Sony one I paid $100 for and it plays any BD I put in it unlike Total Media Theater 5 on the PC.
08:39 AM Liked: 44
post #12345 of 17307
10-30-2011 | Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I have both a stand alone BD player and a PC one. The stand alone is much more reliable in just playing the disks. I would recommend either an inexpensive Sony or the Oppo 93, a much more advanced player. I have a cheap Sony one I paid $100 for and it plays any BD I put in it unlike Total Media Theater 5 on the PC.

I don't know how much of an issue it could be but with background apps running the movie might be more likely to hang. BD has to be a lot of continual data processing and at the least mildly cpu and memory intensive.
ZzBloopzZ's Avatar ZzBloopzZ
10:35 AM Liked: 37
post #12346 of 17307
10-30-2011 | Posts: 149
I received a combo package with my TV where they threw in a free Samsung BD-D5500. Would it be fine for just DVD/BD playback? I do not plan to use any apps and will use WDTV Live for file playback. I just want best PQ and fast/quiet performance of disc playback.

I am debating if I should sell it (It's still new in box) and pick up a Panasonic BDT210, as it's Cnet's editors choice and lots of people seem to recommend it in this thread. Havn't seen many recommend the Samsung, is there a reason why?

Also, will the BD-D5500 play backed up BD-R/RE?
11:31 AM Liked: 44
post #12347 of 17307
10-30-2011 | Posts: 1,185
I would look up reviews of the 5500 on amazon or somewhere similar. If you only want disc playback then perhaps the panny 75 would be good enough. It 210 just has more features for networked playback. But check on the bd-r playback first.
wrxman's Avatar wrxman
12:32 PM Liked: 10
post #12348 of 17307
10-31-2011 | Posts: 126
Hello --- Anyone done a comparison between the Oppo-93 and the Yamaha BD-A1010?

I cannot find much review information on the Yamaha. I have read a lot about the Oppo that is positive. I play alot of CD's via analog outs so I am interested in which player has the better DAC's.

My Pioneer player is starting the death spiral....so here we go again , but Pioneer has made me mad this time.

Thanks!
hernanu's Avatar hernanu
04:09 PM Liked: 234
post #12349 of 17307
10-31-2011 | Posts: 2,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxman View Post

Hello --- Anyone done a comparison between the Oppo-93 and the Yamaha BD-A1010?

I cannot find much review information on the Yamaha. I have read a lot about the Oppo that is positive. I play alot of CD's via analog outs so I am interested in which player has the better DAC's.

My Pioneer player is starting the death spiral....so here we go again , but Pioneer has made me mad this time.

Thanks!

I think you should go Oppo. You're considering about $500 as your budget at least. If sound quality is your goal, the reviews and testing done will testify to that. I haven't seen any comparisons of the two, but for the Oppo:

Oppo 93 formats:

Video -

ASF (Advanced Systems Format)
AVCHD
AVI (Audio Video Interleave)
DIVX Media Format
GIF
ISO
JPG
M2TS (BDAV MPEG-2 Transport Stream)
M4A (same as MP4)
M4V (same as MP4)
MKV (Matroska, both .mkv and .mka)
MP4
MPG (MPEG-1)
MOV (Quicktime)
OGM
PNG
TS (Transport Stream)
VOB (Video Object)
WMV (Windows Media Video)

Audio:

AAC (Advanced Audio Coding)
APE (Monkey's Audio)
FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)
MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3)
WAV
WMA (Windows Media Audio) (not WMA Pro, Lossless or Voice)

Yamaha supported file formats:

Video:

H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC),
WMV9,
MPEG-1,
MPEG-2,
DivX Plus HD (DivX 3/4/5/6),
Xvid

Audio:

MP3,
WMA9,
WAV,
AAC,

Photo:

JPEG, GIF, PNG

Both support DLNA, the Oppo has two HDMI ports if you have a 3D display and not a 3D AVR, the DACs in the Oppo are high quality, don't know what the Yamaha has. The Oppo supports direct connection to a USB or eSATA hard drive for music / video storage in addition to the DLNA option. It also has the Marvell chip for video processing and is capable of wireless connection, which the Yamaha is not. Oppo regularly distributes firmware upgrades to keep up with disk issues and improving streaming service (check their list).

If you are willing to pay more for top notch stereo / multi channel analog, add $500 and get the BDP-95 for all the features listed above and SABRE 32 bit DACs. All in what you want and the amount of money it's worth to you.
07:36 PM Liked: 44
post #12350 of 17307
10-31-2011 | Posts: 1,185
I had a quick question about PCM and disc players. Is it typically defaulted to output bitstream audio over HDMI? I'm a little confused about PCM and Bitstream. Is bitstream basically a direct audio output to receiver or decoder and then plays up to 7.1? And then PCM is just decoded by the player and the output is 2.0? Also, are dvds and blurays mastered in either PCM or Bitstream or is it just a playback option? I understand the different codecs like Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 or ES/EX, etc. I'm just unclear on the playback of audio of movies and the multi-channel audio out. If it helps with an explanation I will be connecting the blu-ray player to an AVR (Yamaha RX-V667 - supports all 7.1 codecs).

Thanks in advance!
MEYJR68's Avatar MEYJR68
07:43 AM Liked: 10
post #12351 of 17307
11-01-2011 | Posts: 89
For a 25th anniversary gift at work i had a choice of many things I could pick from. Most of it of course I had no use for. However I am upgrading some of my HT equipment and decided to take the Blu ray player they offered. Although it didn't specify exactly which one I would get I thought I'd take a shot and if it was a cheapo I would stick it in the bedroom and go ahead and buy the oppo bd-93 I wanted. Well it came in yesterday and it is a sony s780. So after reading some about it on here and other sites it seems to be a decent player. Should I put it in the HT or put it in the bedroom and buy the BD-93? I don't need 3D or skype. I just need the best picture and sound quality.
csilverstein's Avatar csilverstein
11:00 AM Liked: 10
post #12352 of 17307
11-01-2011 | Posts: 34
I was using a Panasonic 310 and was happy with it, but had some problems with it that required replacement. Warranty support has been horrendous, and after waiting a month for a replacement - with phone calls and e-mails being little use in speeding things up -- I finally gave up and bought a Samsung 6700.

So far, Blue-Ray picture quality seems even better, although it's been a while since I used my 310, so hard to make a direct comparison. Wondering why I see so little mention of the 6700 here.

Now, though, debating trying out an Oppo 93 before my Samsung return window expires. From what I've read here, here, Blue-Rays through hdmi alone might not be much of a difference or make it worth giving it a try, but then there's so much praise for the player in general, thought I'd ask again. Also, for playing CDs, would that make it worth trying out to see if there's a difference? No plans to use other formats, except possibly some streaming from pc -- though I have other devices that can do this.
11:21 AM Liked: 13
post #12353 of 17307
11-01-2011 | Posts: 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by csilverstein View Post

I was using a Panasonic 310 and was happy with it, but had some problems with it that required replacement. Warranty support has been horrendous, and after waiting a month for a replacement - with phone calls and e-mails being little use in speeding things up -- I finally gave up and bought a Samsung 6700.

So far, Blue-Ray picture quality seems even better, although it's been a while since I used my 310, so hard to make a direct comparison. Wondering why I see so little mention of the 6700 here.

Now, though, debating trying out an Oppo 93 before my Samsung return window expires. From what I've read here, here, Blue-Rays through hdmi alone might not be much of a difference or make it worth giving it a try, but then there's so much praise for the player in general, thought I'd ask again. Also, for playing CDs, would that make it worth trying out to see if there's a difference? No plans to use other formats, except possibly some streaming from pc -- though I have other devices that can do this.

If you are using HDMI to your AVR then no advantage for playing CD's. However, the customer service experience you would have with an Oppo is not comparable to Panasonic with the one hour wait on hold to talk with someone or the week to four week turn around for e-mail support. With Samsung support, you don't wait as long as with Panasonic but the idiots at first Level are useless and second level may be good, but when I called the second level would have been great had I been calling about a refrigerator.

With Oppo I initiated a support request thru e-mail, got a response within an hour, and resolution within two hours.
MEYJR68's Avatar MEYJR68
11:44 AM Liked: 10
post #12354 of 17307
11-01-2011 | Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

If you are using HDMI to your AVR then no advantage for playing CD's. However, the customer service experience you would have with an Oppo is not comparable to Panasonic with the one hour wait on hold to talk with someone or the week to four week turn around for e-mail support. With Samsung support, you don't wait as long as with Panasonic but the idiots at first Level are useless and second level may be good, but when I called the second level would have been great had I been calling about a refrigerator.

With Oppo I initiated a support request thru e-mail, got a response within an hour, and resolution within two hours.

As you can read in a couple posts up I am also debating buying an Oppo. I have read a lot about their customer service and how great it is and i feel that is very important. I have also read how well built they are so I am curious what sort of customer service issues are there I should be concerned about needing help with? Or maybe that is why they are so quick, they have so few to deal with. Like the old Maytag repairman with nothing to do.

I guess I will try the s780 first since it was free and then decide if I want to spend the extra cash for the Oppo. Or I could upgrade the player in my living room with the s780, move that Samsung to the bedroom, and get the oppo for the theater room.
lmoore1231's Avatar lmoore1231
12:25 PM Liked: 10
post #12355 of 17307
11-01-2011 | Posts: 4
We are upgrading to a newer BD player and have narrowed it down to two players from reading this thread and other reviews. We've had a Pioneer DBP-320 for 1.5 years and it gets frequent software updating. Yet, nearly a third of the BD disks either won't load or freeze up during playback. And the player is painfully slow.

We are ready for a faster and more dependable player. We only play Blu-ray and DVD disks - no streaming or web (at least not yet). 2D picture quality is most important to us. We also use optical audio out for our older receiver. Here's what we're looking for:

- Fast power on, load, and eject times (BD and DVD).
- Excellent BD and DVD picture quality with our Pany 50" G20.
- More reliable BD playing.
- Optical audio out for our 10 yr old Pioneer VSX-35TX Receiver.

The Panasonic BDT210 seems like the best choice for speed, image quality and value for our needs. And the Oppo-93 seems best if we want superior quality and excellent customer service without totally breaking the bank. Leaning toward the T210 (my wife controls the finances). Any thoughts?
mdavej's Avatar mdavej
12:40 PM Liked: 430
post #12356 of 17307
11-01-2011 | Posts: 10,233
All your requirements would be met by the panny. But why the 210 rather than the 110? Your Pio wasn't wi-fi.
12:41 PM Liked: 13
post #12357 of 17307
11-01-2011 | Posts: 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEYJR68 View Post

As you can read in a couple posts up I am also debating buying an Oppo. I have read a lot about their customer service and how great it is and i feel that is very important. I have also read how well built they are so I am curious what sort of customer service issues are there I should be concerned about needing help with? Or maybe that is why they are so quick, they have so few to deal with. Like the old Maytag repairman with nothing to do.

I guess I will try the s780 first since it was free and then decide if I want to spend the extra cash for the Oppo. Or I could upgrade the player in my living room with the s780, move that Samsung to the bedroom, and get the oppo for the theater room.

csilverstein had a particular problem with customer support and if that is an issue you can' t go wrong with an Oppo. Your Sony is an excellent player and I have no 1st hand experience with Sony cistomer support.

I had a laser burn out on a Oppo DVD player and it was out of warranty. It was repaired for a flat rate, less than $50, and I paid outbound shipping.

Right now, your Sony is free and if you have no problems, you have no issues. If you keep your players forever, the Oppo is a good way to go, especially with their flat rate repair. You could easily go through $500 worth of players by the time you replace an Oppo. I still have and use my Oppo DV-983H DVD player for anime, region free playback, SACD, and DVD-A. I use Panasonic Blu-ray players but have easily spent $500 so far, but I am always looking for the latest and greatest feature set. If your like me and want to replace your player every year, then an Oppo may not be the way to go.
mdavej's Avatar mdavej
01:03 PM Liked: 430
post #12358 of 17307
Quote:

I had a quick question about PCM and disc players. Is it typically defaulted to output bitstream audio over HDMI? I'm a little confused about PCM and Bitstream. Is bitstream basically a direct audio output to receiver or decoder and then plays up to 7.1? And then PCM is just decoded by the player and the output is 2.0? Also, are dvds and blurays mastered in either PCM or Bitstream or is it just a playback option? I understand the different codecs like Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 or ES/EX, etc. I'm just unclear on the playback of audio of movies and the multi-channel audio out. If it helps with an explanation I will be connecting the blu-ray player to an AVR (Yamaha RX-V667 - supports all 7.1 codecs).

Thanks in advance!

That's not quite right. HERE's a detailed explanation.
01:35 PM Liked: 44
post #12359 of 17307
11-01-2011 | Posts: 1,185
Great link, thanks! But it leaves me wondering if I would want to set the player to pcm or bitstream. If in the case of the panny 75 th manual says pcm is downmixed to 2.0 so I would of course want my v667 to do all the encoding to be able have at least 5.1 audio. However, if I were to choose pcm on the player I would want a model the outputs beyond 2.0 so a higher model than the 75 would be required. I haven't checked the owners manuals yet of the 110 or higher yet but I will do that soon. Parhaps I missed it but is pcm an encoding? I only ask because on my sony dvd player if there is more than one audio mix I have the option of changing between pcm, D.D. 5.1, DTS 5.1, or other languages. I think that maual says it does pcm by default unless another I selected. I was just confused that nowhere in the sony manual does it say bitstream, only pcm is mentioned.
mdavej's Avatar mdavej
03:20 PM Liked: 430
post #12360 of 17307
My panny 110 has a bitstream/pcm setting although the manual doesn't really say so. I wouldn't expect the 75 to be any different. My sony doesn't say anything about bitstream either, but the Auto setting will bitstream (if possible), and the PCM setting will send full 7.1 PCM.

HERE's some more detail on PCM (or LPCM in the case of DVD/Blu-ray).

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of any modern player that won't output full 7.1 via PCM or bitstream. So I don't think you need to be concerned about this particular aspect.
Tags: Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality

Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread