AVS Forum banner
3M views 20K replies 5K participants last post by  cullam 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
[mod note] If you start a new thread asking for advice on buying a new BD player and the thread is merged into this thread, go to the end of thread and your original post should be there, maybe back a few posts. And you may already have some input. [/mod note]

I need help. Which bluray player is the best regardless of price thats not a major concern for me i just want the best bluray player in you opinion. Thank you i really need help with this one cause i have no knowledge of this subject

#8,721 ·
how many folks really use profile 2.0 features over profile 1.1 features?

I understand profile 2.0 allows for "downloadable content." Are there any examples of really useful or important downloadable content?

thanks,

..dane

#8,722 ·
I'd like the best Blu-Ray performer out there right now with wireless connection, upconversion and any other newfangled gizmo. Less than a grand in cost.

Which one?

#8,723 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeratt /forum/post/18400502

It does look like it supports MKV according to their site.

So this is also what they have listed:

Audio Decoders:

Dolby Digital

DTS

WMA, WMA Pro

MPEG-1 Layer 1, 2, 3

MPEG-4 AAC-LC

MPEG-4 HE-AAC

MPEG-4 BSAC

LPCM

FLAC

Vorbis

Audio Pass-Through:

DTS, DTS-HD HR, DTS-HD MA

Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD

So does this mean it can play DTS-HD?

Yes it means it supports it. I really wanted to get a popcorn hour, but after my delivery date kept getting pushed out because of demand I got tired of waiting. I figured I'd let it mature a little more before trying to buy one again.

#8,724 ·
hello , first post.

I am from germany and live in the USA for 8 years now , would like to get a all region dvd player thought maybe i should get a all rgion BR player?????

thanks

What about this one??

JVC XBP11 Multi Region

Multi Region Bluray Blu-Ray Blu Ray

DVD Player Blue Ray

or

Samsung code Free BluRay BD-P1600, Code Free Blu-Ray,

All Region Bluray Player BDP1600

#8,725 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHW /forum/post/18400148

How does the Oppo-83 do (SD) over component? I'm upgrading piecemeal and am probably starting with the BDP-83. I know that there is no ABT VRS over component, just wondering if the PQ is better than or equal to the SD player(s) I have now, (JVC and older Denon 1910).

Reviewers don't mention component quality much anymore, and it is hard to do A/B testing against HDMI because you are also testing different video inputs in your display chain.

DVD component output will be limited to 480i/480p on copy protected discs for reasons of Digital Rights Management. The OPPO BDP-80 will give the same component performance for less money.

Quote:
Later, the plan is to go with a plasma then receiver, both upgrades, or would you recommend the BD player last & see what's new there (in 6-8 months or so)?

The argument for waiting on a player until you really need it is that what is available then may be better and cheaper.

Note that if you are planning on sticking with component, new Blu-ray players will not be allowed to produce high definition video over analog outputs after the end of this year. A couple more years and analog is eliminated entirely.

-Bill

#8,726 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain /forum/post/18399093

Price is on this page: http://winstonsreviews.com/?page_id=69 . Looks like the Source Direct column has been dropped. I don't know about your other questions.

-Bill

He added the column back for me... (YAY!)

Winston's Synthetic Deinterlacing Test Results -- say what?

A few more questions..

1) Are Winston's Synthetic Deinterlacing Test Results just to test the deinterlacing capabilities of a non-progressive source-disc such as standard DVD?

2) If yes, and if probably >90% of film release bluray movies are already 1080p24/60 (right?), then it would seem that even his synthetic test results would not apply if I had an external standard-def video processor... is that correct thinking also?

thanks,

..dane

3)

#8,727 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane /forum/post/18403619

He added the column back for me... (YAY!)

Winston's Synthetic Deinterlacing Test Results -- say what?

A few more questions..

1) Are Winston's Synthetic Deinterlacing Test Results just to test the deinterlacing capabilities of a non-progressive source-disc such as standard DVD?

2) If yes, and if probably >90% of film release bluray movies are already 1080p24/60 (right?), then it would seem that even his synthetic test results would not apply if I had an external standard-def video processor... is that correct thinking also?

thanks,

..dane

3)

Correct to both (although BR 1080i60 source still need to be deinterlaced; 1080p24 is natively progressive).

Deinterlacing score is valuable in that it is one of the few video quality things that can be measured objectively, but for the realm of BR 24hz sources it no longer matters.

Hence the common view here that BR players are on a much more even playing field when using these sources.

-Bill

#8,728 ·
I am moving away from PS3 BD Playback, My display is a 118 Inch Carada Screen.. But dont want to spend a lot considering the 3D/BD thing..

I need to have 7.1 Analog Outputs; I understand that Oppo's Bluray PQ is very close to the others.

Having said that - Any Alternative recommendations?

Req's --

(1). 7.1 Analog O/P

(2). Closer to PS3 Response Times

(3). Goodies like Netflix/DLNA.. (Not required, but dont mind having them)

Please note that iam not looking for any DVD/Multichannel Playback, since i already have Oppo DV-981 HD

#8,729 ·
Hello,

My friend just purchased a 32" HDTV (LG 32LH30) and is in the market for an entry level blu ray player for a reasonable price (~100-150).

She doesn't have any stand alone audio equipment and really only needs the player to play DVD's and Blu Ray disks. Features such as youtube, netflix and pandora, etc. would be nice but aren't particularly necessary.

I think the three main purchase critera would be ease of use (firmware updateing), reliability (no freezing) and dvd upscaling.

After reading through this thread (well the last 20 pages or so) and doing a little research I initially picked out three players to look into a little deeper; the JVC XV-BP1, Sony BDP-S360 and Panasonic DMP-BD60.

I'm not sure the XV-BP1 would be the best choice as it's a little pricey and not overly available retail. I liked the BDP-S360 but after reading some other reviews, it sounded like there were some serious reliability problems and it might not be the best for upscaling dvd playback.

So I'm looking at the BD60 right now but was wondering if anyone had any opinions on any other players that might be viable purhcases.

Thanks for any help!

#8,730 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeratt /forum/post/18400408

Thx for clearing that up, I didn't think the Xbox supported those sound files.

Edit: Thx for the popcornhour suggestion as well

Yeah sorry for the misinfo, didn't pay attention to the audio requirement. The Xbxo 360 will play mkvs, streamed seamlessly via media center from a PC to the xbox. It supports up to 5.1 AC3, which is what most "downloaded" mkvs come equipped with. So, you don't really have to worry about the audio support unless you are ripping your own blu-rays. You will need wireless-N to stream 1080p to your xbox, or a hardline.

I rip my blu-rays to 1080p and high bitrate 5.1 AC3. I haven't compared audio quality because I have not had a blu-ray player until recently. Obviously if you want 7.1 this won't cut it.

#8,731 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarkin_dc /forum/post/18398672

Fascinating, thanks for posting that HTPC4Ever! I'll be using a 42", appears the relative merits between players diminish on our modest screens.

Were there any noticable differences?

I've read the S-x70 Sonys picture are softer and low on detail, and that 80/83 are sharper with more details. Did you see that?

Did you see any effects, like the poor edge jaggies ratings, have any effect on your real work PQ?

All of them looked the same... they looked good.

I was not sitting back switching between players. I purchased the oppo, and sent it back. Got the LG... it was a disaster; sent it back. Picked up the Sony, it is great.

I'd like to bring anyone into my house and have them tell me which player I'm playing a movie... or even played on my htpc. Guess if I performed all the tests that I see others doing, maybe I'd notice a difference (not really, but y our mind would tell you that). Or maybe if I stood two inches from the screen... whatever.

We are only talking dvd anyway... br is known to look the same, no matter. From my experience, this year, I'm not sure if dvd is there as well. Maybe dvd look crappy on some really cheap players... or on huge screens, dunno.

Maybe it is our screen size... you might take that into consideration if you are going to keep the player for a number of years and expect a tv purchase soon.

Sony has the right stuff, IMO. Sony was only $161 (shipped / amazon). I thought it would be "cheap". Nice player... can't wait until they send the firmware for networking...

#8,733 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR /forum/post/18404796

Does the sony 370/470 have the same internet services that the sony 460 has?

From what I've read (or remember reading) the only differences between the 370 and 470 is the 370 will not have 3d enabled this summer. And I think the wireless is a difference in the other models.

If you go to sony's website, I'm sure it will tell you... I'm going off memory.

#8,734 ·
I will eventually have an Emotiva UMC1 (as soon as it ships) but would like to go with a blue ray now. I have a older Sony receiver that has toslink and rca inputs (no hdmi). I would hate to spend the cash on a Blu Ray with features I'll never use... I think going Oppo is a bit overkill based on what I'm reading.

My priories are:

1) Be able to use my current Sony receiver and still get the same quality sound as when I buy the UMC1

2) Up scaling older DVD's

3) Being able to decode any reasonable widely used format I throw at it.

Thanks!

#8,735 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR /forum/post/18404796

Does the sony 370/470 have the same internet services that the sony 460 has?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC4Ever /forum/post/18406094

From what I've read (or remember reading) the only differences between the 370 and 470 is the 370 will not have 3d enabled this summer. And I think the wireless is a difference in the other models.

If you go to sony's website, I'm sure it will tell you... I'm going off memory.

I was asking the difference between the 370/470 and the 460 though. Ya the 3D upgrade is the difference between the 370 and 470. But the 460 is touted to have 25+ internet services (netflix, slacker, etc.) but do the 370 and 470 have those same services?

I think I will skip 3D for now, so I guess more over the difference between the 370 and 460 would help. I know the new players are fast booting up and loading a disc, but for the most part I would rather have more choices of net stuff then 10 seconds of my life back every time I play a bluray. Seems like most around here would rather have it boot fast then have expanded content, but then hay I like BD Live discs, EVEN if they could have just put that content on the discs themselves. I guess I am strange, lol.

#8,737 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitz /forum/post/18407476

I know this sounds odd but I'm looking for a bluray player that is less than 13in wide, needs to fit my current cabinet. I've searched everywhere and so far the only thing I thinks works is a PS3. any help appreciated

Most of the standard widths on conponents is approx 17" The PS3 might be your only choice. It is 11.42" wide. I know how you feel. I had the same problem with my LCD TV and can only get a 46" in the cabinet.

#8,738 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohmony /forum/post/18403949

I am moving away from PS3 BD Playback, My display is a 118 Inch Carada Screen.. But dont want to spend a lot considering the 3D/BD thing..

I need to have 7.1 Analog Outputs; I understand that Oppo's Bluray PQ is very close to the others.

Having said that - Any Alternative recommendations?

Req's --

(1). 7.1 Analog O/P

(2). Closer to PS3 Response Times

(3). Goodies like Netflix/DLNA.. (Not required, but dont mind having them)

Please note that iam not looking for any DVD/Multichannel Playback, since i already have Oppo DV-981 HD

okay -- So far seems like my choices are - Panasonic DMP-BD85K(No DLNA) and the other one is LG BD570 (Both Netflix n DLNA). Do you know how these two compare to the Oppo BD-80? As far as the Panny/LG - Which one offers the best PQ/AQ?

#8,739 ·
Is there a player that allows access to MLB.TV? I'm setting up a home theater system and the only things I want are Netflix, Blu Ray, and access to MLB.TV. I have a Wii so Netflix is (going to be) taken care of. I just can't find a way to access MLB.TV without a device like Roku which I don't even need.

#8,740 ·
Looking to add a blu-ray player to my set up, with the priority on upscaling DVD's. I am currently running a Toshiba HD-DVD to a Marantz VP4001 (720p PJ) projecting on a 159" Da-Lite Screen. I know my screen size is larger than recommended, but I am not a videophile, and the family really enjoys the "big screen" feel. Having said that, we have a sizable DVD collection that still get regular use, hence the focus on upscaling ability.

Narrowed down the options to Panny and Pio based on generally good reviews for upscaling capabilities. Likewise, I have not focused much on the Sony or LG products, as their strengths seem to be in features other than upscaling. Also not too concerned about streaming fetures as we have FIOS on-demand for that need.

Also, I just ordered a Denon 1910 which has the Anchor Bay 1310 chip which could be used for scaling, but I suspect either the Panny or Pio will do as good or better job.

Finally, I looked at the Oppo BD83 which is the king of upscalers, but does not seem worth $500 in my current set up (given that the Pio or Panny could be had for less than half the price). I'd rather get a sub-$200 BDP now, and possibly upgrade to the latest and greatest down the road when I eventually switch out the PJ for a 1080p PJ.

Looking for any additional advice, corrections, comparisons or other recommendations. Thanks again.