OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 441 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13201 of 16940 Old 03-31-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

No.

If no then what are the differences? I'd like to learn something here. Thank you.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

"GO DAWGS" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13202 of 16940 Old 03-31-2012, 12:53 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt View Post

If no then what are the differences? I'd like to learn something here. Thank you.

The very high end players are for the audiophile market, for which there is no upper limit on price.

Below that it is a matter of features, support, etc.

Ideally there should be no difference in digital transports for audio and video. (Analog is a different matter, but again that's mostly an audiophile realm). It would be nice if products were tested to verify they are doing the basic functions correctly, but it's a lot of time and expense to do that. There was much more testing of DVD players a few years ago.

Blu-ray video is pretty much ready to display as is on the disc. It needs to be decoded and chroma upsampled, which should not be difficult, but over the years we have seen a lot of consumer electronics that make basic blunders.

-Bill
post #13203 of 16940 Old 03-31-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

The very high end players are for the audiophile market, for which there is no upper limit on price.

What does this mean, my question was what are the differences in high end BR players versus low end BR players since everyone seems to agree there are basically no PQ differences?

Below that it is a matter of features, support, etc.

Very generic statement, I was looking for specifics such as higher quality DAC's, better decoders, high end upconversion chips, etc.

Ideally there should be no difference in digital transports for audio and video. (Analog is a different matter, but again that's mostly an audiophile realm). It would be nice if products were tested to verify they are doing the basic functions correctly, but it's a lot of time and expense to do that. There was much more testing of DVD players a few years ago.

What do the high end players do differently for the analog audio section to make it better sounding than low end players, again I was looking for specifics to learn something here.

Blu-ray video is pretty much ready to display as is on the disc. It needs to be decoded and chroma upsampled, which should not be difficult, but over the years we have seen a lot of consumer electronics that make basic blunders.

This statement has nothing to do with the question I ask?
-Bill

I am just trying to educate myself here but this reply was very disappointing in that respect.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

"GO DAWGS" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #13204 of 16940 Old 03-31-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Anyone know of a blu-ray player that has Amazon VOD, Netflix AND plays MKV files? It would definitely have to play the MKV files, preferrably WITH HD audio . I'm trying to talk myself out of a Roku box and into a new blu-ray player. I was looking at the Panny 220 but it looks like it doesn't play MKV all that well. Thanks.
post #13205 of 16940 Old 04-01-2012, 09:15 AM

Liked: 10
I've been searching the forums/internet for some specific info about DLNA and have been surprised how overlooked this question is (or I just do poor internet searches). I'm looking to purchase a blu-ray player that has the best DLNA streaming properties (hard wired ethernet). It seems that most of the newer players *HAVE* DLNA, but I just have not been able to find which players do a better job.

I also considered building a media box stand alone but couldn't figure out how to integrate my beloved Harmony One IR remote, as the IR extenders that are marketed by Logitech do not work for the Harmony One. Their solution? Buy another remote.

Any suggestions on the blu-ray? Many thanks...

Fuzzylogik
post #13206 of 16940 Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Search in the Help Me Choose a player thread at the top using keyword DLNA. Yields 307 results.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=959985

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #13207 of 16940 Old 04-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Panasonic BDT-320 will be your best bet then.

I had the BDT-320 for 3 weeks, but returned it and bought a $119 Sony S590. To MY eyes, the Sony has a slightly better PQ and the remote responds quicker. I am also buying a highly modified Oppo 93 (upgraded linear power supplies for audio and video, and TCXO mod). The mods are based on the $10K Arye DX-5. Every review I have read about the DX-5, says the improvement over the Oppo 83 is dramatic. Some will say mods make no difference, but I believe they do. From HomeTheater.com:

"This isn't the first high-end-priced player I've seenor the first I've used directly connected over HDMI to a front projector in my system (in this case, the JVC DLA-X7 reviewed in HT's May 2011 issue). It's just the first one I've seen that actually looks better in comparison to other players I've seen over HDMI. In addition to the superb deintleracing and scaling I mentioned earlier, our battery of standard test patterns revealed sharp, essentially perfect response at the frequency extremes with luma and chroma. The DX-5 fully revealed the highest frequencies in these patterns, and the vertical lines looked crisper than they did with the OPPO BDP-95 I used for comparison (also a direct feed to the JVC DLA-X7). Yet there was no implication that the frequencies were peaked or overemphasized. There was just an almost indescribable sensation that there was a little more of something (or everything) there.

This feeling persisted as I started watching program material on Blu-ray. I consistently found my eyes lingering on certain details that hadn't seemed as palpable on previous viewings with other players. A little extra shadow detail here, some more fabric texture there, a finer rendering of film grain, etc. There was always something. And this surprised me. With episodes of HBO's Deadwood, I was especially attuned to the disparity between the softer, noisier interior shots and the crisp photography in the outdoor sequences. With Welcome to the Rileys and especially David Fincher's The Social Network, I was really impressed by the low-level and shadow detail in the darker scenes (which is just about all of The Social Network) and the staggering dimensionality in the images. The DX-5's revealing nature wasn't always to a given movie's benefit. It also showed a lot of the seams in recent-vintage but not minty-fresh CGI-laden constructs. I rewatched the first three Pirates of the Caribbean movies on Blu-ray, and I'd never seen the complex motion and tight patterns of film grain displayed more smoothly and finely. But I'd also never seen the CGI stand out as conspicuously as it often did with the DX-5.

Essentially, whatever the cinematic intentions were with any given piece of program material, I felt that the DX-5 delivered those intentions with a bit more observable expression. Photographyboth film and digitalalways looked a little more evocative in terms of texture, gradation, and depth.

But again, these are details. The overall impact was that movies looked and felt more like movies on the DX-5. There was also an easy-on-the-eyes quality to the picture that I haven't encountered before. I know my comments on the HDMI video output looking better than other players will be met with skepticism. I get it. That's how I felt before I saw the DX-5. But after I spent time with it and went back and forth between it and the other players I had on hand, I unequivocally looked forward to watching movies on the DX-5 more than with any other Blu-ray player I've ever used. I know a lot of us like to think that it's all just 1s and 0s and that digital is digital. And often, that can be true in good and bad ways. But this is something different. Be brave and experience it before you pooh-pooh it (and me for writing this)."
post #13208 of 16940 Old 04-01-2012, 12:07 PM

Been looking around for a new BD player to replace my old LG BD390 and can't decide which one to get so I have a few questions:

1) Does Sony's Super Bit Mapping noticeably improve PQ or is it just a marketing gimmick and is Panasonic's Adaptive Chroma Processing the same thing as Super Bit Mapping?

2) Is it worth waiting for Sony's new 2012 model S790 or is the 780 good enough?

3) Apart from the touch pad remote, are there any other noticeable difference between BDT 220 & 320?
post #13209 of 16940 Old 04-01-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogik View Post

I've been searching the forums/internet for some specific info about DLNA and have been surprised how overlooked this question is (or I just do poor internet searches). I'm looking to purchase a blu-ray player that has the best DLNA streaming properties (hard wired ethernet). It seems that most of the newer players *HAVE* DLNA, but I just have not been able to find which players do a better job.

I also considered building a media box stand alone but couldn't figure out how to integrate my beloved Harmony One IR remote, as the IR extenders that are marketed by Logitech do not work for the Harmony One. Their solution? Buy another remote.

Fuzzylogik

The problem is that there are many formats of video & audio & the "best" DLNA Client on the Blu-Ray players depends on one's usage & the DLNA Server being used that is providing the service. Using the windows media center/player limits the need for a lots of formats required in the player. The Twonky media server has limitations on the folder depth available & many limitations regarding the presentation of the media list for use. In theory, one should need to check on the DLNA server being used by the player's DLNA client, but problems do arise.

There are maligned remarks about different players based on the inability to play some MKV video or ACHD videos. Both MKV & ACVD are containers that may contain incapability codecs with the player. I have some "MKV" files that won't produce sound on my Yamaha; I had some converted "MKV" files that won't have video but sound is ok.

You should get a copy of "MediaInfo" (free) to check why a video won't work. My MKV files that won't produce sound had used the "VORBIS" format for sound which wasn't supported by the Yamaha; I did forget to check the no video file on why but do see "PAL" as an output display parameter. Some video converters embed the "PAL" display format on all conversions without an option to change; the exception may be the converting for writing to a DVD.

Just look for a player with the most formats, both video & audio & hope for the best.

One always need to remember that the MKV & AVHD "formats" are really containers; think of them as a glass jar where it can have edible food or rocks & nails & possible combo. Whatever is in the jars are still useful but not everywhere or all the time; and remember the warnings about not using whatever is in a container if the seal is broken as what is in the container may make one sick due to tampering.

I've even gotten to check pull up the lid to check the inside seal for a while after the occasion I got scr*wed when the cylinder container had only 2 or 3 chips when I got home (the inner seal was broken as the thief ate most of the chips & placed the container back on the shelf).
post #13210 of 16940 Old 04-01-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Fuzzylogik, the IR extender works fine with any remote, including the One. It's just an IR repeater (same as a powermid). You must be thinking of the RF unit. Your original plan should work fine.
post #13211 of 16940 Old 04-02-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogik View Post

I'm looking to purchase a blu-ray player that has the best DLNA streaming properties (hard wired ethernet). It seems that most of the newer players *HAVE* DLNA, but I just have not been able to find which players do a better job.

I also considered building a media box stand alone but couldn't figure out how to integrate my beloved Harmony One IR remote

Fuzzylogik

I find DLNA a bit hard to use. Granted I've not tried more than half a dozen DLNA servers, so I'm no expert. My experience is that they all make it hard to find your videos. My suggestion is to buy something like a HDI Dune HD Smart Player (http://dune-hd.com/hd_players/curren...-smart-h1.html) for your stored media collection and a Blu-Ray player for disk playback. Other media servers my be cheaper, but they all have limitations that bothered me. Check out the AVS thread for the Dune (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21857116)

The Dune players do support Harmony One. [Edit: Actually, I said it backwards... the Harmony database does support the Dune]
post #13212 of 16940 Old 04-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Ok i want a PANASONIC blu ray player

HAve seen all the models and was wondering what would fit my criteria the best

1) PICTURE QUALITY FOR BLU RAYS AND DVD is #1

2) Audio

3)wi-fi
post #13213 of 16940 Old 04-02-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyp3 View Post

Ok i want a PANASONIC blu ray player

HAve seen all the models and was wondering what would fit my criteria the best

1) PICTURE QUALITY FOR BLU RAYS AND DVD is #1

2) Audio

3)wi-fi

What do you mean by audio? Do you need analog audio or HDMI or optical?
post #13214 of 16940 Old 04-02-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

What do you mean by audio? Do you need analog audio or HDMI or optical?

hdmi

guess thats insignificant with all blu rays
post #13215 of 16940 Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Then the 220 is the one for you.
post #13216 of 16940 Old 04-03-2012, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 77
So, I was going to buy an Oppo 95, but am rethinking it. I have an older Rotel processor that doesn't have HDMI, so was going to use analog audio out of the 95 into the multi input on the Rotel. My projector is native 720P, too, so it's also limited. I'll go straight component out of the player to the projector.

The question is, will I get better SQ or PQ in my current system spending more money, or will something like a Sony 590 do about as well? I wouldn't mind buying a BD with 5.1 out, just to preserve that option. I only have Blu Ray and standard DVDs and CDs, nothing fancy. Thanks.
post #13217 of 16940 Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 AM

Hi,
I've got my first 3D HDTV (first HDTV), and need 3D Blu ray player that will upscale DVD nicely, Upscale as many computer files as possible (or will my Samsung UN55D7900 do that?), Play DVD+Rs and other recordables, has a good level of processing speed, will endure for a few years, Has Wifi and gets Netflix well, and all the basic stuff you always want.

I know the OPPO is the wonderkin of 3D blu ray players, but before I get one is there a cheaper alternative that costs under or around $250 (at a discount site if not the regular sites) that is lets say 2nd best after the OPPO?

Please let me know soon. I may buy an OPPO, but would like something cheaper if possible. The cheaper the better, but if 2nd best is at $275 I'll get it.

Thanks
PS
I don't want anything with big software problems. I origionally bought an LG that was #1 on consumer reports, but when I read the software upgrades killed it I returned it.
post #13218 of 16940 Old 04-03-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi all and thx for any response. I'm looking to buy a BD player to replace my older style PS3. Mostly because of the tough interface with my Control4 automation system.

I don't do 3D. I do like the WiFi capability of the newer models. I'm thinking to stay with Sony or maybe Panasonic, don't know. Streaming of Pandora and what not is attractive too. Don't do SACD so analog outs are not a big deal. Just really need a simple BD player to get the job done.

Chris

My Home Theater is a work in progress.
post #13219 of 16940 Old 04-03-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunderbeck View Post

Hi,
I've got my first 3D HDTV (first HDTV), and need 3D Blu ray player that will upscale DVD nicely, Upscale as many computer files as possible (or will my Samsung UN55D7900 do that?), Play DVD+Rs and other recordables, has a good level of processing speed, will endure for a few years, Has Wifi and gets Netflix well, and all the basic stuff you always want.

I know the OPPO is the wonderkin of 3D blu ray players, but before I get one is there a cheaper alternative that costs under or around $250 (at a discount site if not the regular sites) that is lets say 2nd best after the OPPO?

Please let me know soon. I may buy an OPPO, but would like something cheaper if possible. The cheaper the better, but if 2nd best is at $275 I'll get it.

Thanks
PS
I don't want anything with big software problems. I origionally bought an LG that was #1 on consumer reports, but when I read the software upgrades killed it I returned it.

You might consider the soon to be released Panny 500 at a likely street price of about $300; at least that's what I'm waiting for. I'm hoping that the 500 will show up on amazon in the next few weeks.

The lower priced 2012 models (220 and 320) have already shown up and are getting good reviews at the 1st thread in the next paragraph.

There are two threads for the 500, the Panasonic DMP-BDT 220/320/500 thread and the Panasonic DMP BDT500 thread

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #13220 of 16940 Old 04-03-2012, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Alrighty, my Samsung player is messing up randomly so I need to start looking for a replacement just incase it goes to crap. (hoping the problem is heat related since I had it running for almost 2 days...)

I am looking for a solid Sony bluray player for movie watching and nothing else. (I have another Sony but it doesnt have a remote so that is why I am looking for another Sony) Under $100 is what I am looking for.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #13221 of 16940 Old 04-03-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Alrighty, my Samsung player is messing up randomly so I need to start looking for a replacement just incase it goes to crap. (hoping the problem is heat related since I had it running for almost 2 days...)

I am looking for a solid Sony bluray player for movie watching and nothing else. (I have another Sony but it doesnt have a remote so that is why I am looking for another Sony) Under $100 is what I am looking for.

Not an answer to your direct question, but maybe purchase a universal remote for the Sony?
Maybe see if there is another Sony branded remote that works with your player?

Just a couple of suggestions that might save you a few $$$
post #13222 of 16940 Old 04-03-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragion View Post

Not an answer to your direct question, but maybe purchase a universal remote for the Sony?
Maybe see if there is another Sony branded remote that works with your player?

Just a couple of suggestions that might save you a few $$$

My TV remote handles most functions (but no menu button), so I never really bothered with it. (gotta love the sync functions of todays stuff) Neither player would be in use at the same time so it just made sense to look into another Sony.

Edit: It was heat related, just gotta remember to turn it off in the morning after leaving a show on a loop for the night.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #13223 of 16940 Old 04-04-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi,

Thanks
PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

You might consider the soon to be released Panny 500 at a likely street price of about $300; at least that's what I'm waiting for. I'm hoping that the 500 will show up on amazon in the next few weeks.

The lower priced 2012 models (220 and 320) have already shown up and are getting good reviews at the 1st thread in the next paragraph.

There are two threads for the 500, the Panasonic DMP-BDT 220/320/500 thread and the Panasonic DMP BDT500 thread

Panny no longer plays DVD-RAM, in case you have any of those. Plus panny has very limited file playback capabilities. Sony is much better at that. But so far you haven't mentioned anything you need that most $120 players couldn't do. What features exactly are pushing you up into the $300 range?
post #13224 of 16940 Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Hi,
By Panny do you mean Panasonic? Is there one that's out now that would qualify.
Thanks
post #13225 of 16940 Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi,
By Panny do you mean Panasonic? Is there one that's out now that would qualify.
Thanks

You gave that prior post of yours the title of "What is the Best 3D Blue Ray Player after OPPO BDP 93"

The new 2012 Panasonic 500 is the only one that's likely to qualify vs the OPPO BDP 93.

The dedicated thread on the new Panasonic 500 is still fairly short and I suggest you read all of it at: Panasonic DMP BDT500 thread

Based on posting by others in that thread, I expect the Panasonic DMP BDT500 to show up for sale in the next few weeks in the USA.

If you need a blu-ray player now, bite the bullet and buy the OPPO 93.

post #13226 of 16940 Old 04-04-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Panny no longer plays DVD-RAM, in case you have any of those. Plus panny has very limited file playback capabilities. Sony is much better at that. But so far you haven't mentioned anything you need that most $120 players couldn't do. What features exactly are pushing you up into the $300 range?

I need/want 1) top SQ (Sound Quality) and 2) 7.1 RCA/analog rear panel outs and 3) fast fast fast loading of blu-ray discs and 4) a price less than $500.

Given that, the new 2012 Panasonic DMP BDT500 is the only one that I see.

I can wait a few more weeks for it to show up for sale.

post #13227 of 16940 Old 04-04-2012, 10:02 AM

If I hook a computer up to my TV with 1080p is there one with good upscaling, and what would I look for in a computer, what feature in specs? Will upscaling be unnessisary if the computer is 1080p, even if it's not the best looking file?
post #13228 of 16940 Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:

I'm looking for a good upscaling 3d blu ray that will make DVDs, recordable DVDs, and computer files from a drive look HD quality, if a computer with the right videp card upscales that would be great. I also want something that won't be buggy, and will play Netfix without problems. If there's a blu ray has this stuff for cheaper let me know. This is my first one, so I need more guidence than most. It must be 3d.
post #13229 of 16940 Old 04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Dunderbeck, I would look at the sony 590 then. It's $120 on amazon. Most players have decent upscaling these days, but none can work miracles, even Oppo. There's only so much you can do with SD material. Oppo has a slight edge in upscaling, but it's not worth the $300 premium IMO. I'm sure Oppo owners will disagree with me.

I've yet to see a TV with better upscaling than a player or external processor. If you feed it a 1080p signal, it won't be upscaling anyway. If your computer can't go to 1080p, just get a video card for it that can. How well it handles SD material depends on the software you use for playback. If you go with a blu-ray player like the sony instead, you'll need a good DLNA server running on your computer to stream your files. Serviio is a good, free one that works very well with sony. If you will only be streaming files from a drive or disc, then you don't need a DLNA server of course.

Since OtherSongs needs analog outputs and no file playback, the panny 500 is a better fit for him. Since you don't need analog, then that model would be a waste of money.
post #13230 of 16940 Old 04-04-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Dunderbeck, I would look at the sony 590 then. It's $120 on amazon. Most players have decent upscaling these days, but none can work miracles, even Oppo. There's only so much you can do with SD material. Oppo has a slight edge in upscaling, but it's not worth the $300 premium IMO. I'm sure Oppo owners will disagree with me.

I've yet to see a TV with better upscaling than a player or external processor. If you feed it a 1080p signal, it won't be upscaling anyway. If your computer can't go to 1080p, just get a video card for it that can. How well it handles SD material depends on the software you use for playback. If you go with a blu-ray player like the sony instead, you'll need a good DLNA server running on your computer to stream your files. Serviio is a good, free one that works very well with sony. If you will only be streaming files from a drive or disc, then you don't need a DLNA server of course.

I see Serviio is software do I download it on the sony and can I download it on computers to increase stream speed? I also read a review that the sony is very slow processing, if that's true what would be a simmilar but faster player?
Since OtherSongs needs analog outputs and no file playback, the panny 500 is a better fit for him. Since you don't need analog, then that model would be a waste of money.

Does the Sony 590 play recordable media, and is the Netfix streaming good, and is it 3d? What's a DLNA server. does it connect to the modem or the router, or is this software? Do I install it on the sony or a computer conected to the router? Will the sony upscale videofiles from a harddrive?
Thanks
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , S390 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page