OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 443 - AVS Forum
First ... 441  442  443 444  445  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.
jnojr's Avatar jnojr 04:57 PM 04-07-2012
OK, I've had it with my Samsung BD-P3600... no MKV support, or it's so bad as to not matter.

I don't expect much from a player. Besides playing Blu-Ray discs, I want to be able to connect to my PC and play as wide a variety of video files as possible. And I'd like to be able to pause those videos, walk away, come back, unpause, and resume viewing... something which the Samsung could never do (after a couple of minutes paused it'd stop the video). I don't need WiFi as this player is right by an Ethernet connection. It connects to the TV with HDMI, no receiver, so I really don't care about an array of audio outputs. I'm looking at sub-$100 players. If there's anything to specifically avoid or go for, great... otherwise I'll probably just get another LG as I'm really happy with the BD670 I have downstairs.

ETA: is there any player with particularly good WiFi performance? I had no issue with my LG when it was attached to a WAP, but I moved the WAP and set up wireless, and now it doesn't play well :-( I may bring the LG upstairs and connect it to Ethernet and get a different player with better wireless rather than buy a new WAP.

matrixj3's Avatar matrixj3 09:00 AM 04-08-2012
Just looking for the best HD picture..i will not use internet features at all and i will NEVER do firmware upgrades...so out of the box which model gives you the best picture quality? Price under $200 Thanks!
teachsac's Avatar teachsac 09:16 AM 04-08-2012
There's been a lot of discussion on this in the Help me Choose a Player thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=959985

There's also a dedicated thread called not all are created equal, or something like that.

In short: Panasonic or Sony will best meet your requirements.

S~
Fastslappy's Avatar Fastslappy 09:18 AM 04-08-2012
I have a Sammy & Sony
The Sony has the best PQ
both update firmware very easy ... I don't understand why you don't want to do a firmware update ?
matrixj3's Avatar matrixj3 09:49 AM 04-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I have a Sammy & Sony
The Sony has the best PQ
both update firmware very easy ... I don't understand why you don't want to do a firmware update ?

Which Models do you have? Thanks!
HDPERSON's Avatar HDPERSON 12:32 PM 04-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixj3 View Post

Just looking for the best HD picture..i will not use internet features at all and i will NEVER do firmware upgrades...so out of the box which model gives you the best picture quality? Price under $200 Thanks!

Samsung BD D6500 has the best BD picture. I compared it to Sony S580, S780, Panasonic BDT210, BDT220 and LG 670. For the Samsung I use USER settings with +2 for sharpness and +1 for noise reduction. The Panasonic BDT220 has the best DVD upconversion and sound.
BillP's Avatar BillP 01:17 PM 04-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPERSON View Post

Samsung BD D6500 has the best BD picture. I compared it to Sony S580, S780, Panasonic BDT210, BDT220 and LG 670. For the Samsung I use USER settings with +2 for sharpness and +1 for noise reduction. The Panasonic BDT220 has the best DVD upconversion and sound.

Unfortunately, Samsung also has the worst reliability. And most people agree that for BluRay PQ, all players are pretty much the same. The biggest difference is for SD DVD upconversion and audio (if you use analog outs).
BillP's Avatar BillP 01:20 PM 04-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixj3 View Post

Just looking for the best HD picture..i will not use internet features at all and i will NEVER do firmware upgrades...so out of the box which model gives you the best picture quality? Price under $200 Thanks!

Then you are going to run into problems. Most firmware upgrades are to allow new releases to play, so good luck. Firmware upgrades are very easy if you have internet access.
Jacob305's Avatar Jacob305 01:25 PM 04-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Unfortunately, Samsung also has the worst reliability. And most people agree that for BluRay PQ, all players are pretty much the same. The biggest difference is for SD DVD upconversion and audio (if you use analog outs).

+1.

Jacob
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 05:10 PM 04-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post


Based on the dedicated threads (check them out), they seem to be pretty close in PQ (although the 500 is not available yet), with Panny being faster to load and the Sony having SACD. Don't assume you won't need the duplicate streaming; my 2011 Panny BluRay player (110) had much better streaming PQ than my 2011 Panny plasma (VT30), so I'm glad not to have to rely on my display for streaming.

The 790 is also not available yet.
Intimdtr77's Avatar Intimdtr77 06:32 AM 04-09-2012
I'm considering a new BDP. My current Sony S57 has been having locking issues. It stays on a screen with a spinning disc and does not leave that screen. Usually if I unplug the machine it will "sometimes" fix the screen and will play with no issues. Since my kids now no how to use the player and watch movies on their own I really can't explain to them how to reset it.

Here are some of the things I am looking for.

-Netflix Streaming
-Internet radio, Pandora etc
-Does not have to be WiFi, I have Ethernet at the machine
-3D is not a big deal, if the machine has it, thats fine, but it really doesn't matter
-Awesome picture is a given
-I'm still playing DVD's so upconverting is necessary also

It will be used with an older Hitachi 55" VF820 TV and Pioneer 1020 receiver.
dbbarron's Avatar dbbarron 08:03 AM 04-09-2012
My system is a mid-high end dedicated theater using an Integra pre-amp processor for HDMI audio/video processing. I currently use a Samsung 1500 blu-ray player that is getting slower and clunky and not longer acceptable.

I need a new player that will integrate into the system properly (including IR distribution system) and be fast with good video - no 3D, no audio decoding in-player needed.

I was looking at the Pana BDT-220 or Oppo 93. It seems the 220 may be a more modern video design (newer than the Oppo), but the Oppo seems more bulletproof and might be a better integrating unit for my system (the dedicated IR input is worth alot to me for reliability).

Can anyone comment on (1) speed and video only quality between the two players; (2) content compatibility; and (3) any experience of reliability with IR flashers glued to the panasonic 220 or negative experience with IR input of Oppo.

Any other players I should consider (I am not adverse to spending 4x on the Oppo, but just want to make sure I am not spending the extra $$ for naught in my system).

db
cowger's Avatar cowger 05:15 PM 04-09-2012
I've searched this thread and expected to find something on the Panny BD77 or 87 players. Internet searches also don't seem to yield much information nor reviews.

Does anyone have one of these yet, or am I just stupidly assuming that they are already shipping when they aren't? They seem to be orderable at amazon and are listed as "in stock".

How fast is this "ultra fast booting"?

Thanks!
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 07:55 PM 04-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger View Post

I've searched this thread and expected to find something on the Panny BD77 or 87 players. Internet searches also don't seem to yield much information nor reviews.

Does anyone have one of these yet, or am I just stupidly assuming that they are already shipping when they aren't? They seem to be orderable at amazon and are listed as "in stock".

How fast is this "ultra fast booting"?

Thanks!

You should start a thread. Personally I don't have much interest in those models when you can get full featured ones for just a few more bucks.

Ultra-fast is quite fast because the player essentially never turns completely off when it's enabled. Waste of energy IMO.
PRO710HD's Avatar PRO710HD 11:28 AM 04-11-2012
I have the Panny BDT220 and Love the Picture quality/sound.

I am using the optical out to feed my high-end 5.1 HTS and it rocks. Can't really beat the price as well.

Have yet to stream Netflix on it though..
Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball 11:26 AM 04-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO710HD View Post

I am using the optical out to feed my high-end 5.1 HTS and it rocks.

These days, many people would like to argue that since the optical out cannot carry full HD audio, then your system is not really high-end. But that's a quibble, since most people really can't hear the difference, and room acoustics and speakers will have a much greater effect on what you hear.


David Susilo's Avatar David Susilo 01:55 PM 04-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

These days, many people would like to argue that since the optical out cannot carry full HD audio, then your system is not really high-end. But that's a quibble, since most people really can't hear the difference, and room acoustics and speakers will have a much greater effect on what you hear.


Truly depends on the soundtrack. On the pow boom soundtrack, it's difficult to hear the difference. For orchestral soundtrack, sound with crowds, water splashes, the difference is truly easy to hear.
Xereau's Avatar Xereau 03:59 PM 04-15-2012
Just purchased a Panasonic Ae7000u and would like to setup a player that can read all my iso's from a hard drive. I was using ps3 media server to stream for a few years but my current house I can only use wireless in the theater room and it stutters so bad it's not worth my time. I'm looking for a player/htpc that will give true 1080P 3D and 2D and that I can read from a hard drive and pass through full DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. Anyone have a suggestion? Wish the oppo 93 still played iso from a hard drive.
pvanosta's Avatar pvanosta 05:12 PM 04-15-2012
I currently use my bdp-s570 as follows:

BD video and video files from USB hard drive via HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1121 receiver.

SACD via HDMI, same routing

CD and audio files via LAN (MP3, FLAC, ALAC): S/PDIF coax output to Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus, then analog to DVD input on Pioneer. The video component of this output (menu browsing on screen) is handled by component video cable to DVD input.

I am ready to upgrade to 780 or 790 because they support NTFS USB drives (full-res BD files over 4 GB).

The question is: should I go to 780 or 790?

I know 790 does not have component video output, but I can use composite video if needed.

Any input / insight / feedback is welcome.
PRO710HD's Avatar PRO710HD 05:16 PM 04-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

These days, many people would like to argue that since the optical out cannot carry full HD audio, then your system is not really high-end. But that's a quibble, since most people really can't hear the difference, and room acoustics and speakers will have a much greater effect on what you hear.


Understood. My comment regarding "high-end" was referencing that fact that I have high-power dedicated audio amplifiers for 2 channel stereo and 5 channel discrete 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS (aragon 8008 power - 400 watts/channel into 4 ohm PSB Stratus Golds, Acurus dedicated digital surround processor). I refer to my setup as "high end" based on electronics, not the latest 7+ channel encoding referred to as "lossless." Are the newer surround formats better, I'd asume Yes. But my electronics and speaker setup deliver a "rock solid" performance in 2 channel stereo (critical listening) and 5.1 DVD/Blu-Ray playback.
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 05:29 AM 04-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xereau View Post

Just purchased a Panasonic Ae7000u and would like to setup a player that can read all my iso's from a hard drive. I was using ps3 media server to stream for a few years but my current house I can only use wireless in the theater room and it stutters so bad it's not worth my time. I'm looking for a player/htpc that will give true 1080P 3D and 2D and that I can read from a hard drive and pass through full DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. Anyone have a suggestion? Wish the oppo 93 still played iso from a hard drive.

Try the media server forum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...aysprune=&f=39

-Bill
lajaro's Avatar lajaro 01:45 PM 04-16-2012
After a few years away, am coming back to the scene and looking for a recommendation. Details of set up and what I want/don't need are below (thanks in advance, btw)

- Blu-Ray player is currently DMP-BD30 and looking to update since buying a
- Panny TC-P55VT30 TV to replace TH-50PZ80U.
- Sound setup isn't anything fancy...Denon AVR-1909 to drive Paradigm Trios (in front).

I *think* the must-have features (pretty basic, actually).
1) 3D support (will only be used from time to time, but probably wouldn't upgrade otherwise).
2) load times (having to wait to even eject the tray is unacceptable...fortunately, it seems anything beats it out these days
3) Decent DVD upscalling (not a priority, though)

Special considerations given to:
4) DLNA support. Looking to get away from managing a separate Plex installation. The Panny TV has it and it's working ok, but it seems rather crude/buggy/limited in file formats. If having it on the BD would suit me better, a few bonus points here
5) Online streaming support that is worthwhile for a Canadia viewer (otherwise, will continue to use homegrown solutions).
are actually usable from Canada and can provide content otherwise (either native, or via other methods).
6) Nice if the CEC works with the Panny Viera Link (i.e. if BD isn't Panny)

What I don't need:
- wifi
- extravagant hookups (just enough to get the 3d Content to the TV and audio to the Denon AVR).

Hoping to keep this under $150 CAD but will spend more if the gain is significant. If I'm missing something, would appreciate being put on the correct path.
pinball_freak's Avatar pinball_freak 03:56 PM 04-16-2012
Hello,
After reading through the last 30 pages, it's seems it's going to be best for me to post and ask for a recommendation. I currently have a Samsung BD-D5300 which when it's working is quite good but there are many times when I have to unplug it to reset it due to non-responsiveness, loss of audio or video from startup, or some other irritating thing.

I need:
-ability to play from USB (not NAS), DVD-R, and BD-R with .avi, .mkv, .mp4 files
-hard network connection (mostly for firmware, possibly for Netflix or streaming in the future)
-using a single HDMI to a Pioneer receiver
-less than $150

I do not need 3D or wi-fi. Due to my location, it would be best if the player were available from Future Shop or Best Buy Canada.
They have Panasonic DMPBD75, Sony BDPS185, BDPS185, BDPS590, and a bunch of LG players. (although, if this aren't any good, I may wait until I go down to the States in the summer to pick something up)

Thank you!!
tjkren's Avatar tjkren 05:15 PM 04-16-2012
Ok I see couple models out but dont know what to get looking for fast and best pic have also a samsung led 47 inch
Thanks
jroptop's Avatar jroptop 05:16 PM 04-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkren View Post

ok i see couple models out but dont know what to get looking for fast and best pic have also a samsung led 47 inch
thanks

bd-e6500
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 07:27 PM 04-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball_freak View Post

Hello,
After reading through the last 30 pages, it's seems it's going to be best for me to post and ask for a recommendation. I currently have a Samsung BD-D5300 which when it's working is quite good but there are many times when I have to unplug it to reset it due to non-responsiveness, loss of audio or video from startup, or some other irritating thing.

I need:
-ability to play from USB (not NAS), DVD-R, and BD-R with .avi, .mkv, .mp4 files
-hard network connection (mostly for firmware, possibly for Netflix or streaming in the future)
-using a single HDMI to a Pioneer receiver
-less than $150

I do not need 3D or wi-fi. Due to my location, it would be best if the player were available from Future Shop or Best Buy Canada.
They have Panasonic DMPBD75, Sony BDPS185, BDPS185, BDPS590, and a bunch of LG players. (although, if this aren't any good, I may wait until I go down to the States in the summer to pick something up)

Thank you!!

Bdp-s590.
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 07:29 PM 04-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lajaro View Post

After a few years away, am coming back to the scene and looking for a recommendation. Details of set up and what I want/don't need are below (thanks in advance, btw)

- Blu-Ray player is currently DMP-BD30 and looking to update since buying a
- Panny TC-P55VT30 TV to replace TH-50PZ80U.
- Sound setup isn't anything fancy...Denon AVR-1909 to drive Paradigm Trios (in front).

I *think* the must-have features (pretty basic, actually).
1) 3D support (will only be used from time to time, but probably wouldn't upgrade otherwise).
2) load times (having to wait to even eject the tray is unacceptable...fortunately, it seems anything beats it out these days
3) Decent DVD upscalling (not a priority, though)

Special considerations given to:
4) DLNA support. Looking to get away from managing a separate Plex installation. The Panny TV has it and it's working ok, but it seems rather crude/buggy/limited in file formats. If having it on the BD would suit me better, a few bonus points here
5) Online streaming support that is worthwhile for a Canadia viewer (otherwise, will continue to use homegrown solutions).
are actually usable from Canada and can provide content otherwise (either native, or via other methods).
6) Nice if the CEC works with the Panny Viera Link (i.e. if BD isn't Panny)

What I don't need:
- wifi
- extravagant hookups (just enough to get the 3d Content to the TV and audio to the Denon AVR).

Hoping to keep this under $150 CAD but will spend more if the gain is significant. If I'm missing something, would appreciate being put on the correct path.

Sony bdp-s590 or Panasonic bdt-220. See dedicated threads on both
mdw252's Avatar mdw252 07:18 PM 04-18-2012
Hi all,

I would greatly, greatly appreciate any advice on a Blu-ray player based on these priorities:

Non-negotiables
  • Profile 5.0
  • Full support for 24fps Blu-ray
  • Can decode all flavors of DTS or Dolby Digital to LPCM (up to 7.1) and send over HDMI to receiver (and is not limited in this respect when playing 3D content and/or when mixing primary/secondary audio)
  • Capable of sending DVD content at 480i and Blu-ray content as "source direct" over HDMI (I will be using an external video processor)
  • Manufacturer has good track record of timely firmware updates to ensure compatibility

Things that would be nice (in order of importance)
  1. Fast loading
  2. Lower price
  3. SACD support
  4. Ability to update firmware direct from machine w/o needing to use thumb drive

Things that I won't use/couldn't care less about
  • Apps/Internet browsing
  • 2D to 3D conversion
  • Wi-Fi
  • Video processing (including 24fps DVD or anything involving frame interpolation)
  • Analog output

I know the Oppo BDP-93 hits all of my "non-negotiables" and most of my "would be nice" list (except that it's kind of expensive and I'm not sure how fast it is), but I'm wondering if I can find anything cheaper and/or faster, especially since I don't need the Qdeo video processing. Thanks very much!!
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 08:53 AM 04-19-2012
Sony 590 meets all those criteria except source direct deinterlaces to 480p first, and it has no 7.1 analog out.
Robonaut's Avatar Robonaut 01:02 PM 04-19-2012
There are now enough region-locked Blu-Ray's out there that aren't available in the US to make me want an all-region player.

I would like the standard array of features (lossless audio, 3D support, etc). I'd also like it to perform rapidly (I hate the slow loading speeds on early-gen Blu-Ray players).

I'd also like it to be quiet (so, no cooling fan or anything like that).

I'm not really concerned about DVD playback because I have an all-region Oppo for that.



So, what would you folks recommend?
Tags: Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
First ... 441  442  443 444  445  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop