OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 557 - AVS Forum
First ... 555  556  557 558  559  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.
sdavis81's Avatar sdavis81 05:09 PM 06-05-2014
Thanks!

I guess I do have one, probably dumb, question. I never knew that optical didn't carry 7.1 until this. I guess I never thought to look!

So why did they make a nice receiver with optical inputs (that don't carry 7.1) and rear inputs for 7.1 systems if there was no input that could provide the 7.1 signal? Is is because there was Dolby Pro Logic 2 which creates a 7.1 signal? It seem like at the time this was made there may not have been any media recorded in 7.1, and maybe no player to transmit or decode 7.1. So was the purpose of these other formats to add some more channels to the movies to make them sound better?

Vampidemic's Avatar Vampidemic 12:06 AM 06-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis81 View Post

Thanks!

I guess I do have one, probably dumb, question. I never knew that optical didn't carry 7.1 until this. I guess I never thought to look!

So why did they make a nice receiver with optical inputs (that don't carry 7.1) and rear inputs for 7.1 systems if there was no input that could provide the 7.1 signal? Is is because there was Dolby Pro Logic 2 which creates a 7.1 signal? It seem like at the time this was made there may not have been any media recorded in 7.1, and maybe no player to transmit or decode 7.1. So was the purpose of these other formats to add some more channels to the movies to make them sound better?

Actually, I looked at the manual for your receiver and it does offer discrete 8 channel analog inputs. The SPDIF interface used for optical/coaxial was not spec'd to support more than 5.1, but you could get a player with 7.1 analog outputs for discrete surround. Thing is, you'll pay a lot for those extra channels that most content does not utilize. I think the cheapest option would be the Panasonic DMP-BDT500T. But I don't believe that player supports surround sound for the Amazon Instant Video app. Most manufacturers have long ago removed analog surround outputs from their entire lines at this point, so there are not a lot of options with this feature, though of course the Oppos are very popular if you have cash to spend.

Edit: technically, it looks like SPDIF can support 6.1, but that is using DTS-ES, which is not widely supported.
BIslander's Avatar BIslander 07:36 AM 06-06-2014
7.1 processors came out long before discrete 7.1 content was available. For many years, surround modes such as PLIIx were used to produce 7.1 outputs from 5.1 and stereo sources. In the last decade, we've had HD DVD and Blu-ray, which support 7.1 content that ican be sent from the player to the processor over HDMI or multichannel analog connections. I am not aware of any processing scheme that involves the use of an optical or coax connection for 5.1 and the addition of two rear inputs for 7.1. If your receiver has external inputs for rear channels, then it must also have the other six inputs for the first six channels.
TVAddikt's Avatar TVAddikt 02:58 PM 06-06-2014
I am looking to purchase a new BD player and add it to my home theater. These are the important factors to me:

Picture Quality

Sound Quality

IP Control (I use irule for control of my equipment)

Vudu, Amazon and Netflix streaming. Vudu surround capability would be mandatory.

Fast loading menus

I don't need wifi. It will mainly be used for Blu Ray but good DVD upscaling would be great.

I am not to worried about 3d. i don't have any 4k capabilities except my avr, so if I keep the cost low 4k really doesn't matter as I can upgrade in the furture when needed. I have Plex Home Theaterfor a lot of movies so I don't see the need for dlna and such.

My setup

Integra DTR60.5
Panasonic AE4000u projector

I am just looking for a reasonably priced blu ray player that fits my listed needs

Thanks for the suggestions
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 11:10 PM 06-06-2014
Sony 1100 or 1200
richdesign's Avatar richdesign 04:43 AM 06-07-2014
At my job (I work in a large auditorium) we have a Pioneer commercial BD player and it's great. No OSD, will pause forever, no splash screen, etc. It works great for showing DVD or BD to a large audience.

Now they don't make this unit anymore but I'd love to have something like this for my church where I volunteer. Is there anything like some of the higher end home theater units that will do this or at least some of these features? If I had to pick on it would be that we can pause it for long time without it going to sleep.

thanks!
tbonestl's Avatar tbonestl 01:02 AM 06-08-2014
I have been looking for a new blu-ray player. Most of the 2014 models are out, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of dual HDMI players. There is a 2013 model Panasonic and Samsung which I have looked at. I have been hunting around at the new 2014 players. I thought maybe someone had heard or seen something I haven't. I'm trying to stay around $200 or less. I have a nice Onkyo receiver, but it is a few years old and doesn't support 3D. Thanks for any help/suggestions in advance.
krips's Avatar krips 06:05 AM 06-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonestl View Post

I have been looking for a new blu-ray player. Most of the 2014 models are out, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of dual HDMI players. There is a 2013 model Panasonic and Samsung which I have looked at. I have been hunting around at the new 2014 players. I thought maybe someone had heard or seen something I haven't. I'm trying to stay around $200 or less. I have a nice Onkyo receiver, but it is a few years old and doesn't support 3D. Thanks for any help/suggestions in advance.

Panasonic BDT460 has dual HDMI and it's $179.99 at Best Buy.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/panasonic-4k-smart-3d-wi-fi-built-in-blu-ray-player/5260151.p?id=1219116798836&skuId=5260151&st=panasonic%20blu-ray%20player&cp=1&lp=7
krips's Avatar krips 11:08 AM 06-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by richdesign View Post

At my job (I work in a large auditorium) we have a Pioneer commercial BD player and it's great. No OSD, will pause forever, no splash screen, etc. It works great for showing DVD or BD to a large audience.

Now they don't make this unit anymore but I'd love to have something like this for my church where I volunteer. Is there anything like some of the higher end home theater units that will do this or at least some of these features? If I had to pick on it would be that we can pause it for long time without it going to sleep.

thanks!

You can check out Oppo bdp-103.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
richdesign's Avatar richdesign 08:26 AM 06-09-2014
thanks!
Ramach's Avatar Ramach 04:21 PM 06-09-2014

My BDP-S790 is dead and looking for a replacement. Does any one aware of sony's replacement for this unit? any comparable other brands?

Vampidemic's Avatar Vampidemic 07:07 PM 06-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramach View Post

My BDP-S790 is dead and looking for a replacement. Does any one aware of sony's replacement for this unit? any comparable other brands?
The BDP-S6200 is the successor to the 790. However, it lacks much of the connectivity and decoding options of the 790. This should not be an issue if you have an HDMI 1.4 receiver (or 1.3 if you don't use 3D) that can decode the latest lossless codecs when bitstreamed. Take a look at that model. If you need any specific connectivity options (such as dual HDMI or analog) be sure to mention what you require when you reply.
hernanu's Avatar hernanu 12:49 PM 06-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

The BDP-S6200 is the successor to the 790. However, it lacks much of the connectivity and decoding options of the 790. This should not be an issue if you have an HDMI 1.4 receiver (or 1.3 if you don't use 3D) that can decode the latest lossless codecs when bitstreamed. Take a look at that model. If you need any specific connectivity options (such as dual HDMI or analog) be sure to mention what you require when you reply.

The only place where that is an issue is if you have a title, like Monster's University where the bitstreamed sound has been problematic for some players due to the authoring. The solution from the manufacturer was to switch to LPCM as decoded by the player. That limits you to whatever the player local implementation of decoding is.
akadoublej's Avatar akadoublej 05:22 AM 06-11-2014
I am looking for a basic player with access to TuneIn radio and good audio quality. I am considering the Panaonic DMP-BD81, DMP-BD91 or Sony BDP-S3200. I read something that indicated these new Panasonic models have an issue with passing the Spears & Munsil tests and with the Panasonics throwing ads at you, I am leaning in favor of the Sony.

Thoughts?
kevinwinters 09:30 AM 06-12-2014
Please help me choose a budget Blu-ray player. The intended goal is for the Blu-ray player to be the media center hub.

Current equipment:
RCA 60" LED TV (not smart) (2x HDMI in, digital audio out)
AppleTV (HDMI out)
ZyXel NSA-320 (WiFi)
Panasonic Soundbar SC-HTB70 (SPDIF in)

Requirements:
*Blu-ray player must connect to NAS via WiFi, 'see' media, and play movies
*Blu-ray player must have HDMI in for AppleTV
*Blu-ray player must have SPDIF out to Soundbar
*Blu-ray player must have HDMI out to TV

Will there be noticable audio sync issues playing sound from the Blu-ray to the TV (HDMI) and Soundbar (SPDIF) simultaneously?

Thanks and please advise.
Kevin
AMartin56's Avatar AMartin56 01:23 PM 06-12-2014
My Panasonic player purchased in early '11 (Model 85k?) died.

I'm looking for a new player but I'm more than a bit dismayed by the build quality of the latest models of anything other than an Oppo (which unfortunately I can't justify or afford).

I hear good things about 2011 and 2012 Panasonic players but the prices seem to be through the roof on Amazon.

What is so special about these players other than a more solid build? It seems like they are being sold at collector item prices rather than what I'd expect for old tech. Is everyone dismayed enough about the race to the bottom to command these prices?

Thanks in advance.
Vampidemic's Avatar Vampidemic 05:04 PM 06-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwinters View Post
Please help me choose a budget Blu-ray player. The intended goal is for the Blu-ray player to be the media center hub.

Current equipment:
RCA 60" LED TV (not smart) (2x HDMI in, digital audio out)
AppleTV (HDMI out)
ZyXel NSA-320 (WiFi)
Panasonic Soundbar SC-HTB70 (SPDIF in)

Requirements:
*Blu-ray player must connect to NAS via WiFi, 'see' media, and play movies
*Blu-ray player must have HDMI in for AppleTV
*Blu-ray player must have SPDIF out to Soundbar
*Blu-ray player must have HDMI out to TV

Will there be noticable audio sync issues playing sound from the Blu-ray to the TV (HDMI) and Soundbar (SPDIF) simultaneously?

Thanks and please advise.
Kevin

Unless your idea of a "budget" player includes a $500+ Oppo, you need to find a way to make do without an HDMI input on your player as this is not a standard feature. The Oppos include it so that external sources can be processed with their video processors, but these are high end players with lots of audiophile features that most users do not demand.

When using a soundbar with an optical input instead of an AVR, the typical signal chain would be:

All playback devices >HDMI> TV
TV > optical > Soundbar

If you can use this set-up, the "budget" options you have to choose from increase from zero to many. You should let us know what NAS you're using and whether or not it supports DLNA/UPnP. Many players can play files from DLNA, but don't support SMB/CIFS file sharing.

I am partial to the Sony players (current models would be BDP-S3200, S5200 and S6200 depending on which features you need) to get the sort of functionality you are looking for on a budget, but you must have DLNA/UPnP to play local media via the network from the Sony players. Also, most Blu-ray players have sub-par Wi-Fi radios, so if you have high bitrate files, you may need to budget for a Wi-Fi bridge, depending on your network conditions.
Vampidemic's Avatar Vampidemic 07:24 PM 06-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
My Panasonic player purchased in early '11 (Model 85k?) died.

I'm looking for a new player but I'm more than a bit dismayed by the build quality of the latest models of anything other than an Oppo (which unfortunately I can't justify or afford).

I hear good things about 2011 and 2012 Panasonic players but the prices seem to be through the roof on Amazon.

What is so special about these players other than a more solid build? It seems like they are being sold at collector item prices rather than what I'd expect for old tech. Is everyone dismayed enough about the race to the bottom to command these prices?

Thanks in advance.
By my observation, sellers on Amazon who have items in short supply will put up just about any price just to see if a fish will bite. The asking prices often seem to have little relation to the true market value.

That having been said, there may be a niche market for older players in new or lightly used condition that do not enforce Cinavia and support the component video connections required to interface with older TVs.
DarenG's Avatar DarenG 02:19 PM 06-13-2014
Talk about bad timing. One Blu-ray player went out on me and now my other is acting up badly. I hate this transition period between standard Blu-ray and 4k Players. Just like DVD to Blu-ray you get all of these upscale players that eventually just end up being a tease for the real thing.

Anybody know of any NATIVE 4K Blu-ray players coming out soon or this entire standards thing still holding it up indefinitely? Starting to think I should just build a media server and not worry about the next format. I can just go all digital I guess.
kevinwinters 09:34 PM 06-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

When using a soundbar with an optical input instead of an AVR, the typical signal chain would be:

TV > optical > Soundbar

If you can use this set-up, the "budget" options you have to choose from increase from zero to many. You should let us know what NAS you're using and whether or not it supports DLNA/UPnP. Many players can play files from DLNA, but don't support SMB/CIFS file sharing

So the 'fly in the ointment' is audio connectivity. TV OUT is digital coax. Soundbar IN is SPDIF optical. Both devices have analog RCA, but I have zero plans to use analog audio. I purchased a cheap digital-to-optical adapter, but it doesn't work so I'm returning the soundbar and getting a VIZIO. As an aside, Sam's Club has the VIZIO S5430w-C2 for $198 with free shipping.

Connectivity will be as you recommend above, so HDMI IN on the Blu-ray is no longer a requirement.

You asked about the NAS. In my original post I gave make and model...it is a Zyxel NSA-320. According to Newegg, this NAS supports DLNA, UPnP, SMB, and CIFS.

Based on this revised data, I need a smart Blu-ray with HDMI out and WiFi that is capable of wirelessly streaming media from the NAS to my un-smart TV.

Thanks in advance.
KW
Vampidemic's Avatar Vampidemic 10:19 PM 06-13-2014
Quote:
So the 'fly in the ointment' is audio connectivity. TV OUT is digital coax. Soundbar IN is SPDIF optical. Both devices have analog RCA, but I have zero plans to use analog audio. I purchased a cheap digital-to-optical adapter, but it doesn't work so I'm returning the soundbar and getting a VIZIO. As an aside, Sam's Club has the VIZIO S5430w-C2 for $198 with free shipping.

Connectivity will be as you recommend above, so HDMI IN on the Blu-ray is no longer a requirement.

You asked about the NAS. In my original post I gave make and model...it is a Zyxel NSA-320. According to Newegg, this NAS supports DLNA, UPnP, SMB, and CIFS.

Based on this revised data, I need a smart Blu-ray with HDMI out and WiFi that is capable of wirelessly streaming media from the NAS to my un-smart TV.

Thanks in advance.
KW

Sorry I missed the NAS info. Since your NAS supports DLNA, you have lots of options. I like the Sony players for video over DLNA.

This thread discusses the current models: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/1510243-official-sony-bdp-s1200-bdp-s3200-bdp-s4200-bdp-s5200-bdp-s6200-bdp-s7200-34.html

You may want to do a review of the file formats and codecs in the files you wish to play. It doesn't sound like your NAS can do much transcoding, so ideally you choose a player that is compatible with your files.
BarryNS's Avatar BarryNS 08:43 AM 06-14-2014
I now have a 3D capable display but I am not sure what else I need with my setup for 3D.

My current AV system setup has a PS3 for a bluray source player, which I understand is 3D capable, but may - or may not - be able to do all of the lossless audio formats on 3D discs? I have the PS3 audio output going on optical into a Yamaha RX-V1900 receiver, with the PS3 HDMI out going into the Yamaha and out to my display for HDMI video source switching. Since the Yamaha predates 3D video formats, will the 3D video signal work in this setup or do I need to go straight from the PS3 into my display on HDMI?
teachsac's Avatar teachsac 08:49 AM 06-14-2014
Yes, the PS3 does have some limitations when it comes to 3D. In order to get lossless audio with your current setup is to get a player that has dual HDMI out such as the Panasonic 460, Oppo 103, Sony 790, etc. The first HDMI will go to your TV, the second would go to your Yamaha.

S~
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 09:33 AM 06-14-2014
Quote:
Quote:

TV > optical > Soundbar

If you can use this set-up, the "budget" options you have to choose from increase from zero to many. You should let us know what NAS you're using and whether or not it supports DLNA/UPnP. Many players can play files from DLNA, but don't support SMB/CIFS file sharing

So the 'fly in the ointment' is audio connectivity. TV OUT is digital coax. Soundbar IN is SPDIF optical. Both devices have analog RCA, but I have zero plans to use analog audio. I purchased a cheap digital-to-optical adapter, but it doesn't work so I'm returning the soundbar and getting a VIZIO.[/URL]
You guys realize this is a terrible idea, right? TV isn't going to pass all audio formats. You'll get DD 5.1 if you're lucky, and DTS will get downmixed to 2 channel. Why not get a cheap AVR while you're at it and at least get decent audio? If not, at least connect your sources directly to your soundbar. Don't pass everything through the TV. It simply doesn't work. Then again, with a soundbar, I guess it doesn't really matter whether you get 2 channel or 5.1, you're still limited to just 2 speakers. So analog audio will work just as well as digital.
Vampidemic's Avatar Vampidemic 10:38 AM 06-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Quote:
Quote:

TV > optical > Soundbar

So the 'fly in the ointment' is audio connectivity. TV OUT is digital coax. Soundbar IN is SPDIF optical. Both devices have analog RCA, but I have zero plans to use analog audio. I purchased a cheap digital-to-optical adapter, but it doesn't work so I'm returning the soundbar and getting a VIZIO.[/URL]
You guys realize this is a terrible idea, right? TV isn't going to pass all audio formats. You'll get DD 5.1 if you're lucky, and DTS will get downmixed to 2 channel. Why not get a cheap AVR while you're at it and at least get decent audio? If not, at least connect your sources directly to your soundbar. Don't pass everything through the TV. It simply doesn't work. Then again, with a soundbar, I guess it doesn't really matter whether you get 2 channel or 5.1, you're still limited to just 2 speakers. So analog audio will work just as well as digital.
It doesn't generally matter with soundbars. Typical soundbars are 2.1 and they only handle 2.0 input so you're not losing anything by going through the TV or by using optical or coaxial. You may even get lossless PCM 2.0. If the soundbar supported more than 2.0, it would probably have HDMI inputs for AV components. Analog vs digital probably won't make much difference here either, though the soundbar may have better DA conversion than the TV.
Zaxdad's Avatar Zaxdad 01:36 PM 06-14-2014
So , I got a new Sony kdl 65w850a for my birthday (big one). I have a Sony s590 player. It doesn't play reliably. Would like to replace it,but don't really want to spend $500.00 for an oppo. Any suggestions? Don't know if there is an advantage staying with Sony. Dont really like the way the inexpensive machines a re built.Any input would be appreciated as always.
Howard
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 04:56 PM 06-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxdad View Post
So , I got a new Sony kdl 65w850a for my birthday (big one). I have a Sony s590 player. It doesn't play reliably. Would like to replace it,but don't really want to spend $500.00 for an oppo. Any suggestions? Don't know if there is an advantage staying with Sony. Dont really like the way the inexpensive machines a re built.Any input would be appreciated as always.
Howard
Then try a 790. It's built like a tank. I personally prefer function over form and would get a 6200 if I were buying today.

A simple fix for an unreliable player is a good cleaning (lens and hub). That's much cheaper than a new player and likely the cause of your problems.
steverok's Avatar steverok 05:21 PM 06-14-2014
Hello everyone, sorry if this topic is covered but I cannot read all 560 pages. I have been using two players - a Sony BDP-S350 for 1080p Blu-Ray and a Harman-Karden DVD 25 with 480p progressive scan for DVDs. The BDP is connected via HDMI and the DVD 25 through component video. Recently, my DVD 25 stopped working and it is quite expensive to fix. I have always loved the warm and soft picture it made for DVDs, in contrast to the BDP, which does not look nearly as good when playing DVDs. I even tried to use the component video out for the BDP, and while it did remove some of the black blotchiness on DVDs, it still does not have the soft and warm hue of my Harman Karden for DVDs. I am looking to buy another player if I thought it could match my DVD 25 for DVD picture. However, they don't seem to make quality DVD-only players anymore. Can anyone recommend a BDP that offers superb DVD playback as well as great HD. I would like it to have a nice soft picture, like my DVD 25. Thanks.
Zaxdad's Avatar Zaxdad 06:33 PM 06-14-2014
What type of functionality does the 6200 offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxdad View Post
Howard
Then try a 790. It's built like a tank. I personally prefer function over form and would get a 6200 if I were buying today.

A simple fix for an unreliable player is a good cleaning (lens and hub). That's much cheaper than a new player and likely the cause of your problems.

wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 06:44 PM 06-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverok View Post
Can anyone recommend a BDP that offers superb DVD playback as well as great HD. I would like it to have a nice soft picture, like my DVD 25. Thanks.
Price range?

-Bill
Tags: Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
First ... 555  556  557 558  559  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop