OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 559 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16741 of 16866 Old 06-19-2014, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
+1 I have PS3, S570, S590 and S1000ES. With the exception of S1000ES, all looked soft. Sony's have average upconversion at best.
What would you recommend as a good alternative? I was looking at the 3100/3200 but DVD upscaling is the most important criteria for me. I am looking to stay in the sub-$100 range (used/refurb does not bother me).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16742 of 16866 Old 06-19-2014, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane View Post
What would you recommend as a good alternative? I was looking at the 3100/3200 but DVD upscaling is the most important criteria for me. I am looking to stay in the sub-$100 range (used/refurb does not bother me).
I still watch a lot of DVDs so DVD upscaling is important to me as well. That's why I went and got refurbished S1000ES which has proprietary CREAS, supposedly modified Qdeo, video processor.

According to some, for the current models, Sony 6200 supposedly has equivalent DVD upscaling to Sony S790 which in turn supposedly has equivalent upscaling to S1000ES. If that's the case then Sony 6200 should have an excellent DVD upscaling.

Of all the brands, Panasonic is suppose to have the best "factory" upscaling with its Unipher video processor but some find it overly sharpened/harsh.

One option for you may be getting a dedicated DVD player that is known for excellent DVD upscaling such as Oppo 983, maybe Oppo 981. I have one such DVD player in Toshiba XDE600 which does amazing upscaling with DVDs that are encoded well but overly harsh PQ with poorly encoded DVDs.

If you don't mind used or refurbished, the keywords to look for are Reon, Realta, Qdeo, and ABT. While having these chips are no guarantee of excellent DVD upscaling, generally players with these video processors should be better than "factory."
post #16743 of 16866 Old 06-19-2014, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I still watch a lot of DVDs so DVD upscaling is important to me as well. That's why I went and got refurbished S1000ES which has proprietary CREAS, supposedly modified Qdeo, video processor.

According to some, for the current models, Sony 6200 supposedly has equivalent DVD upscaling to Sony S790 which in turn supposedly has equivalent upscaling to S1000ES. If that's the case then Sony 6200 should have an excellent DVD upscaling.

Of all the brands, Panasonic is suppose to have the best "factory" upscaling with its Unipher video processor but some find it overly sharpened/harsh.

One option for you may be getting a dedicated DVD player that is known for excellent DVD upscaling such as Oppo 983, maybe Oppo 981. I have one such DVD player in Toshiba XDE600 which does amazing upscaling with DVDs that are encoded well but overly harsh PQ with poorly encoded DVDs.

If you don't mind used or refurbished, the keywords to look for are Reon, Realta, Qdeo, and ABT. While having these chips are no guarantee of excellent DVD upscaling, generally players with these video processors should be better than "factory."
Thanks for the info.

And while upscaling is the most important criteria for this purchase, it is also a gift for someone that doesn't really care about or even really notice "higher" quality and I am only looking to spend $100 or less. Going with some of the options you mentioned would definitely be overkill.

I was just looking to get the "best" upscaling player in the $100-or-less range, but am assuming that they're all going to be about the same.

post #16744 of 16866 Old 06-20-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane View Post
Thanks for the info.

And while upscaling is the most important criteria for this purchase, it is also a gift for someone that doesn't really care about or even really notice "higher" quality and I am only looking to spend $100 or less. Going with some of the options you mentioned would definitely be overkill.

I was just looking to get the "best" upscaling player in the $100-or-less range, but am assuming that they're all going to be about the same.
For marginally better upscaling and decent Netflix, go for any Panasonic later than the 210. Out of the box, upscaling on Panasonic is awful, but with a few tweaks it looks a bit better than Sony. I think all the additional features of Sony more than make up for the small hit in upscaling. The difference between good upscalers and great ones is very small anyway. There's only so much you can do with 480i. I personally don't think such small differences are worth hundreds of dollars. But some are willing to spend thousands for a 1% bump in audio or video quality.
KtrainHurricane likes this.
post #16745 of 16866 Old 06-20-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Panasonic BD35 starting to fail...need a replacement

Well guys its been 6 years and my BD35 is beginning to show signs of failure. Locking up randomly while trying to load a disc, requiring restarts to fix it are all becoming more and more frequent. I'll tear it down this next week and give it a cleaning to see if that helps but it's been a pretty good run.

This player being as old as it is has some pretty lengthy load times but all in all it's served me quite well.

Can anyone recommend a solid replacement? I also use it to play a lot of 2 channel audio via CD. It appears that LG has some highly rated offerings, I've had some bad luck with their products in the past but that by no means equals bad blu ray players.

edit: Ishould probably tell you guys my receiver is a Yamaha V1700, not great, but pretty good but a bit old. My TV Is a Panasonic VT50. Panasonic BDT500 may be an upgrade across the board from my current BD35 in terms of PQ and sound quality?

I would really appreciate some recommendations on what to replace my Panasonic with.

Last edited by 6SpeedTA95; 06-20-2014 at 07:57 PM.
post #16746 of 16866 Old 06-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post
Well guys its been 6 years and my BD35 is beginning to show signs of failure. Locking up randomly while trying to load a disc, requiring restarts to fix it are all becoming more and more frequent. I'll tear it down this next week and give it a cleaning to see if that helps but it's been a pretty good run.

This player being as old as it is has some pretty lengthy load times but all in all it's served me quite well.

Can anyone recommend a solid replacement? I also use it to play a lot of 2 channel audio via CD. It appears that LG has some highly rated offerings, I've had some bad luck with their products in the past but that by no means equals bad blu ray players.

edit: Ishould probably tell you guys my receiver is a Yamaha V1700, not great, but pretty good but a bit old. My TV Is a Panasonic VT50. Panasonic BDT500 may be an upgrade across the board from my current BD35 in terms of PQ and sound quality?

I would really appreciate some recommendations on what to replace my Panasonic with.
I suggest you take it apart and clean/lube it before doing anything rash.
Look here for info/notes (the BD35 & BD55 are basically the same player).

Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #16747 of 16866 Old 06-21-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Any thoughts on the BDT500P (I think the "P" is the new model), the BDT220 and BDT330? All from Panasonic's DMP line? I'm having trouble nailing down real world differences in picture/sound processing. It doesn't help that none of these are on their website anymore...weird.
post #16748 of 16866 Old 06-21-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post
Any thoughts on the BDT500P (I think the "P" is the new model), the BDT220 and BDT330? All from Panasonic's DMP line? I'm having trouble nailing down real world differences in picture/sound processing. It doesn't help that none of these are on their website anymore...weird.
All those are a few years old and most likely out of production now, hence not on the website anymore. Any interest in the current models?
post #16749 of 16866 Old 06-21-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
All those are a few years old and most likely out of production now, hence not on the website anymore. Any interest in the current models?
Absolutely, or different brands. I may be able to limp my older one along for awhile. My wife went into labor this morning so my tear down won't happen for a few days

They're resting up in the hospital and I'm sitting here reading. I'm open to other brands, I'm a bit of a stickler on PQ and want some good SQ as well. If possible I'd like to stick to somewhere between 250 or 300 dollars...obviously if something performs as well for 200 as a 300 I'd be open to looking at that. My concern is that while some of the cheaper 100 dollar players may have quick load times, manufacturers tend to really hamper processing capabilities across the board to hit these lower price points. We've seen it with TV's and I'm concerned about the same thing with BD. So I'm willing to shell out a few hundred bucks if it gets me good PQ which the Panasonic 500 had, but it's gone...and yeah all the ones I've researched appear to be discontinued....lol@me
post #16750 of 16866 Old 06-21-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Congrats. Looks like you'll have your hands full for a while.

Anyway, nothing really wrong with older players. They're just a bit slower and have outdated streaming apps. I buy nearly all my players used anyway. The 500 is going for about $150 on ebay these days. Check out the individual model thread here for more details, but IIRC, the 500 and similar tend to add more artificial enhancements which I end up disabling anyway. I've bought quite a few high end players which I ultimately end up returning or selling since I've never been able to tell much difference. If you like Panasonic, get the lowest end model that has the features you want. PQ differences in higher end models are negligible in my experience. I gave up on Panasonic years ago due to poor streaming apps and poor DLNA. But their PQ for disc playback is very good.
post #16751 of 16866 Old 06-21-2014, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm hearing impaired. I'm looking for a player that supports subtitles and closed captioning in both Amazon Instant Video and Netflix.

Thanks for any recommendations!
post #16752 of 16866 Old 06-22-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've a pioneer BDP 450
as a cheap bd player, that is really sexy player, and so effective in audio and video
realy Valuable

My home theater system with pioneer bdp 450
post #16753 of 16866 Old 06-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Theater DE View Post
I've a pioneer BDP 450
as a cheap bd player, that is really sexy player, and so effective in audio and video
realy Valuable
Pioneer BDP 450 is Euro version of Elite BDP 62, right? How is the DVD upconversion?
post #16754 of 16866 Old 06-22-2014, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm starting to do the research for an upgraded home theater. I haven't bought anything HT related in about 5 years, so my equipment is pretty dated. I'm pretty sure I have the TV and receiver locked down, so I'm moving on to picking out a Blu-ray player. It seems that the Oppo players and the Sony S6200 are the players that get talked about the most, so I've narrowed my search to one of those two.

My requirements are pretty simple:
Best BD playback experience I can get; PQ, AQ, loading time, etc.

I don't own any DVDs, so playback/upscaling of DVD isn't an issue for me. Audio will be bit streamed to the receiver, Video would probably be upscaled by the TV, unless the player was capable of doing a better job.

My main concern is that the Oppo will be overkill for me. I love the look of it, the build quality seems untouched by anything in its price range, but if I could save $350, I'm all for it. Also wondering if I do go with the Oppo, will the Darbee edition be of use to me.

Thank you all for your help!
post #16755 of 16866 Old 06-23-2014, 04:46 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by provenflipper View Post
I'm starting to do the research for an upgraded home theater. I haven't bought anything HT related in about 5 years, so my equipment is pretty dated. I'm pretty sure I have the TV and receiver locked down, so I'm moving on to picking out a Blu-ray player. It seems that the Oppo players and the Sony S6200 are the players that get talked about the most, so I've narrowed my search to one of those two.

My requirements are pretty simple:
Best BD playback experience I can get; PQ, AQ, loading time, etc.

I don't own any DVDs, so playback/upscaling of DVD isn't an issue for me. Audio will be bit streamed to the receiver, Video would probably be upscaled by the TV, unless the player was capable of doing a better job.

My main concern is that the Oppo will be overkill for me. I love the look of it, the build quality seems untouched by anything in its price range, but if I could save $350, I'm all for it. Also wondering if I do go with the Oppo, will the Darbee edition be of use to me.

Thank you all for your help!
Our general advice is that for Blu-ray, players are very similar in performance. Proper calibration of the display will make a greater difference than swapping players.

Digital audio should be the same regardless of player, although you should check the specs of the receiver as to whether it accepts all formats, then verify the player will decode as needed. (Don't they all? I'm not sure).

Darbee is a big topic in itself. When used properly it is a subtle effect but even skeptical videophiles are finding it a positive one. (Me: I like messing with it and leave it on, but I could live without it).

You can buy a separate Darblet and use it with any player, but the cost in the OPPO is $100 over the base model, which is a deal if you want it. The first post in the Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread has links to reviews that apply to both built-in and separate modes.

-Bill
provenflipper likes this.
post #16756 of 16866 Old 06-23-2014, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Pioneer BDP 450 is Euro version of Elite BDP 62, right? How is the DVD upconversion?
Yes, exactly!

upconversion is extraordinary!
post #16757 of 16866 Old 06-23-2014, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Why that topic it appears like that:

How i can remove this number one forever from there?
post #16758 of 16866 Old 06-24-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fits79 View Post
Why that topic it appears like that:

How i can remove this number one forever from there?
Read your subscribed threads, mark as read, or unsubscribe.

Do you have a blu-ray question?
post #16759 of 16866 Old 06-24-2014, 07:46 AM

Yes if it does support FULL bluray menu at bd-iso files 3d or 2d.
post #16760 of 16866 Old 06-24-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes if it does support FULL bluray menu at bd-iso files 3d or 2d.
What is "it"? I don't think any current bluray player fully supports iso files any more, except possibly Oppo. You need a media streamer or PC for that kind of thing.
post #16761 of 16866 Old 06-24-2014, 08:06 AM

I simply looking for a cheap media player that can support/play full bluray menus at 3d and 2d movies.
post #16762 of 16866 Old 06-24-2014, 08:08 AM

And why number at top/right is still in there even i choose to not receive email for every new post at the subscribed topics?
post #16763 of 16866 Old 06-24-2014, 08:13 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
What is "it"? I don't think any current bluray player fully supports iso files any more, except possibly Oppo.
No, not even on OPPO (excepting a brief period on one of the older players). It's not allowed by the licensing authorities.

Quote:
I simply looking for a cheap media player that can support/play full bluray menus at 3d and 2d movies.
You asked this in the Media Player forum. The Blu-ray players don't do it either. For discs: sure. For media files or backups: no.

-Bill
post #16764 of 16866 Old 06-24-2014, 08:13 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
And why number at top/right is still in there even i choose to not receive email for every new post at the subscribed topics?
This is the wrong forum for that. Try http://www.avsforum.com/forum/43-for...ations-center/

-Bill
post #16765 of 16866 Old 06-24-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
No, not even on OPPO (excepting a brief period on one of the older players). It's not allowed by the licensing authorities.

You asked this in the Media Player forum. The Blu-ray players don't do it either. For discs: sure. For media files or backups: no.

-Bill
For media files i mean NOT bluray discs.
Bd-iso files or bluray folders.
post #16766 of 16866 Old 06-24-2014, 08:27 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
For media files i mean NOT bluray discs.
Bd-iso files or bluray folders.
Cannot be done with Blu-ray players or (from what I read in the other forum) media player products.

You might try the HTPC forum to see if software will do what you want. Something like "vlc" will play DVD iso files, but not Blu-ray iso, the last I checked (which has been a while). VLC was adding some menu support for BDMV folders, but you would need to investigate how that's going. Or investigate other software.

Or give up.

-Bill
post #16767 of 16866 Old 06-24-2014, 08:38 AM

If i can find a CHEAP htpc then i don't have any problem at all but all htpc is tooooooo expensive for me and that is the reason i looking for media player and not hdpc.
post #16768 of 16866 Old 06-24-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If i can find a CHEAP htpc then i don't have any problem at all but all htpc is tooooooo expensive for me and that is the reason i looking for media player and not hdpc.
My HTPC was $50 on ebay, far cheaper than any media player or BD player I've ever found.
post #16769 of 16866 Old 06-24-2014, 10:28 AM

Which htpc have and plays everything without any stucks?

Full bluray 3d or 2d with menu e.t.c.?
post #16770 of 16866 Old 06-24-2014, 10:43 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Which htpc have and plays everything without any stucks?

Full bluray 3d or 2d with menu e.t.c.?
Ask this in the HTPC forum. http://www.avsforum.com/f/26/home-theater-computers

-Bill
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page