OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 563 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16861 of 17085 Old 07-31-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 169
The Oppo 103 (D). This is out of your price range, but I think fits your requirements.

If the budget is hard and fast, I think you are probably better off just getting the media player and if you want blu, just get the least expensive one that suits your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhansak View Post
Hi all
Could you recommend the best (or list of quite good) blu ray player that plays 720p/DTS mkv files please? My aging WDTV player is just beginning to get flaky and I was thinking of replacing it with a Sumvision Micro 4 for about 40GBP (approx $70 US) - then I realized that things have moved on in blu ray player land and many are capable of handling this format.
The Oppo plays MKV's very well, I think it does 720p correctly (haven't tried that on mine yet, but have done many MKV's).

Quote:
Essential:
Play MKV from local USB stick
Play MKV from network share on a Windows 7 PC
Optical digital audio output
LAN port

Very desirable:
Built in Wi-fi
Most players (I don't think any outside of the Oppo) don't play from network shares. The Oppo does this flawlessly. Everything else above (and more) is in the 103D I have.

Is DLNA a possibility?

Quote:
Nice to Have:
Miracast
Remote Control from Android Device
Plays flac files
Except for Miracast, the 103D has all of this (as well as ALAC, etc.). I can throw Netflix and YouTube to it from my cell phone, but that's not Miracast AFAIK.

Quote:
Hmm - that's it I think! The "Nice to Have" bit is absolutely the icing on the cake and is no way a show stopper if that's asking too much. The internet/app side is not important to me - it's all about LAN access really. Budget - if poss about 80GBP ($140 US). I have looked around on the net and I do see that many players have the mkv side in their spec but on further research reviews suggest that player performance doesn't always come up to scratch. Started going round in circles then - so would really appreciate some hands-on real world recommendations. Thanks
I think some features you're looking for are common in players, but vary in their quality. Some are only available in the Oppos (network shares, some file formats).

As with many things, if you need these things, or features that are implemented well, you may have to spend more money or go to the media player you've targeted.

Here is (to date) the list of containers / files supported by the 103
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16862 of 17085 Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I am behind the times to say the least.
I just replaced my Pioneer 5050 with a Samsung 8500.
Hence my dvd player is obsolete.
I need a blue ray player that plays 3d and upscales dvd's respectfully.
Thanks
post #16863 of 17085 Old 07-31-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am looking at these three blu ray players. Samsung bd-h6500, Sony BD-6200, Sony bd-7200 (maybe) and the Panny Bdt460. I keep reading reviews that vary.
Which one would you recommend for me and my 65" HU9000? I will use it for watching blu rays and 3D movies.
post #16864 of 17085 Old 07-31-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
The Oppo plays MKV's very well, I think it does 720p correctly (haven't tried that on mine yet, but have done many MKV's).
Does it support 24/1.001Hz playback of media files, or are they always played at 60/1.001Hz?
post #16865 of 17085 Old 07-31-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Does it support 24/1.001Hz playback of media files, or are they always played at 60/1.001Hz?
I believe it does for 1080p, I don't think 720p is available in 24.

Best place to ask is in the 103 / 103D /105 / 105D thread(s).
post #16866 of 17085 Old 07-31-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hernanu - thank you for your detailed and informative reply - much appreciated!

You're right - I'm afraid the Oppo 103 is out of my price bracket

You asked if DLNA is a possibility - yes it is. I have only ever used media players for my mkv stuff so am used to network shares as my default position - so didn't think to include alternatives. Is DLNA functionality pretty straightforward or are there wrinkles to watch out for?

If I go for DNLA and forget the file share access approach, does that bring any more players into the frame?

Thanks again.
post #16867 of 17085 Old 07-31-2014, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

You asked if DLNA is a possibility - yes it is. I have only ever used media players for my mkv stuff so am used to network shares as my default position - so didn't think to include alternatives. Is DLNA functionality pretty straightforward or are there wrinkles to watch out for?

If I go for DNLA and forget the file share access approach, does that bring any more players into the frame?

Thanks again.
If you can run a DLNA server like Serviio from a PC, the Sony players work very well for this and are a great bargain overall as far as BD players go.
post #16868 of 17085 Old 07-31-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:

Thanks again.
Panasonic players are affordable and will play from network shares. They also have optical. Not sure about flac.

Most players, except entry level, do DLNA these days. That will definitely give you a much wider range of playable file types and make setup much less complex.
post #16869 of 17085 Old 07-31-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought a Sony bdp-s1200. I don't need 3D, don't have a 4K tv, and use an Apple TV for streaming services. Is there any reason to go with a more expensive model? Is the picture quality or audio quality inferior on a model this cheap?
post #16870 of 17085 Old 08-01-2014, 02:32 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

Looking at DLNA side - was about to go for a Panasonic DMP-BDT330. It seemed to have everything I needed (at that pricepoint level of quality I guess) - then I spotted this at the trustedreviews site:

"
You can stream MP3, WMA, FLAC, WAV, AAC, JPEG, MPO, AVCHD, XviD and WMV, but not MKV or DivX. You can also play files from USB storage devices and external HDDs, including MKV."

Yikes! - I obviously need to do some research on the DLNA stuff - hadn't realised that it could be format restricted.... the search continues.
post #16871 of 17085 Old 08-01-2014, 03:11 AM

More promising - just found this:

bluray players with network share accessibility (not just dlna)

See posts 22 & 23; basically it looks as if you can access a network share directly (not DLNA) on the Panny DMP-BDT230 (maybe the 330 too?) Have looked at the online user manual for the 230 but can't see a reference to the Network Drive Feature. Hmmm ... very tempted now though..
post #16872 of 17085 Old 08-01-2014, 03:31 AM

Sorry mdavej - had lost track of the fact you had already pointed this out about Pannys and network shares.

Am looking at DMP-BDT230EB - in the spec list it does say "yes" to network drive access (although I couldn't see it in the manual online). I think this could be the one! Just a little more research..
post #16873 of 17085 Old 08-01-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzfan View Post
I bought a Sony bdp-s1200. I don't need 3D, don't have a 4K tv, and use an Apple TV for streaming services. Is there any reason to go with a more expensive model? Is the picture quality or audio quality inferior on a model this cheap?
No need for a more expensive model. PQ will be the same. AQ as well, especially if you use digital audio out (such as with HDMI). What you get with higher models are more features that you won't use, such as 3D, dual HDMI outs, etc.
post #16874 of 17085 Old 08-01-2014, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This thread has information about the current Sony players:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/1510243-official-sony-bdp-s1200-bdp-s3200-bdp-s4200-bdp-s5200-bdp-s6200-bdp-s7200.html

Some features that the S1200 model lacks:

- IP noise reduction
- DLNA support
- rear USB port
- SACD playback
- Miracast
- Built in Wi-fi
- dual processor

The Sony BDP-S6200 also has some advanced picture controls not available in the low end models.
post #16875 of 17085 Old 08-01-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post
This thread has information about the current Sony players:
Official Sony BDP-S1200, BDP-S3200, BDP-S4200, BDP-S5200, BDP-S6200, and BDP-S7200

Some features that the S1200 model lacks:

- IP noise reduction
- DLNA support
- rear USB port
- SACD playback
- Miracast
- Built in Wi-fi
- dual processor

The Sony BDP-S6200 also has some advanced picture controls not available in the low end models.
I've been thinking of just getting an Oppo blu-ray player. Is it worth it if I'm using the HDMI out and bitstreaming. I would replace my apple tv with it since you can attach an external hard drive and play music, and control it from the iod app. Also, how is the Roku stick when attached to the Oppo? Is it as fast as an apple tv>? Also, is the Darbee processing worth the extra 100 bucks if I decide to go Oppo?
post #16876 of 17085 Old 08-01-2014, 04:53 PM

Clarification on best player for PQ only

I have browsed the forums for hours in the past and again today. As things always change I just want to clarify what the consensus is.

I am not looking for a player that is loaded with features. Everyone seems to be requesting certain format compatibility or streaming features etc.

All I am worried about is PQ on Bluray and Equally DVD's

I don't know if I can stomach $400-$500 on an Oppo. I would prefer to keep it under $300.

Is the Sony 6200 my best bet? Or is there something else that people talk less about because it is not as feature rich, but has great PQ on Bluray and DVD?

I am also not opposed to buying a lightly used player if a 1-2 year old model has better PQ.

I am hooking it to a Sony VPL-HW30 projector and Pioneer 1528 Receiver

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by crhocker; 08-01-2014 at 08:00 PM.
post #16877 of 17085 Old 08-01-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhocker View Post
I have browsed the forums for hours in the past and again today. As things always change I just want to clarify what the consensus is.

I am not looking for a player that is loaded with features. Everyone seems to be requesting certain format compatibility or streaming features etc.

I don't know if I can stomach $400-$500 on an Oppo. I would prefer to keep it under $300.

Is the Sony 6100 my best bet? Or is there something else that people talk less about because it is not as feature rich, but has great PQ on Bluray and DVD?

I am also not opposed to buying a lightly used player if a 1-2 year old model has better PQ.

Thanks in advance.
Among most players, BD PQ is essentially the same, DVD PQ is only marginally different. With no other requirements, the cheapest player you can find will do what you want, like a $70 1200. A $150 6200 only adds things you don't need. If you buy used, you can probably get a player for about $40. I don't think the 6100 exists, at least not in the US.

Also realize that on a site like this, there's going to be a large proportion of folks who lean toward high end equipment. If you must have the absolute best DVD PQ, then nearly everybody is going to recommend Oppo. But honestly, unless you freeze frames and look at them with a magnifying glass, you're not going to notice a significant difference. There's only so much you can do with DVD.
post #16878 of 17085 Old 08-01-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhocker View Post

Is the Sony 6100 my best bet? Or is there something else that people talk less about because it is not as feature rich, but has great PQ on Bluray and DVD?

Thanks in advance.
I'd think the Sony is just fine. My daughter has a Sony that I bought for her three years ago and it's been very good for her. She uses it mostly for streaming, but no problem.

The reason to step up to higher function players is for the extra functions. In particular Bluray play will be equivalent. On a smaller screen the DVD upscaling will be close, on larger screens, the better players will win out. But for the use you describe, the Sony will be fine.
post #16879 of 17085 Old 08-02-2014, 12:32 PM

OPPO BDP-103 or something else??

New construction HT with 11.2 wiring, but setup for 9.2 speaker system. I'm replacing my older components like my AVR Denon 3808CI (4520CI) and PS3 to be replaced with a OPPO. I'm told that this component is a very good selection for my new HT, I would like a dedicated Blu-ray player vice a PS4. I'm looking at the BDP-103 or 103D, what's the difference and is it worth the cost? What may be comparable to these units and why? I would like some input to help with what I should be looking for in a good Blu-ray player. Also, if I'm not providing the right input for you to help with your feedback. please let me know!

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
USN, CDR, RET
UDT/SEAL-EOD 1971-2003
post #16880 of 17085 Old 08-02-2014, 12:49 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by udtsealeod View Post
I'm looking at the BDP-103 or 103D, what's the difference
See the FAQ for a summary: BDP-103D Darbee Edition. I'm sure OPPO's web pages have more.

Quote:
and is it worth the cost?
Worth is subjective. If you have an interest in Darbee processing, then you would want the 103D. It is a subtle effect when used properly, so unless you have videophile interests and spent a of lot time tweaking and doing comparisons, it may not be worthwhile for you.

-Bill
post #16881 of 17085 Old 08-02-2014, 03:00 PM

--Worth is subjective. If you have an interest in Darbee processing, then you would want the 103D. It is a subtle effect when used properly, so unless you have videophile interests and spent a of lot time tweaking and doing comparisons, it may not be worthwhile for you.

Since I do not know what Darbee processing is, then it's not something to look at!

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
USN, CDR, RET
UDT/SEAL-EOD 1971-2003
post #16882 of 17085 Old 08-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've been thinking of just getting an Oppo blu-ray player. Is it worth it if I'm using the HDMI out and bitstreaming. I would replace my apple tv with it since you can attach an external hard drive and play music, and control it from the iod app. Also, how is the Roku stick when attached to the Oppo? Is it as fast as an apple tv>? Also, is the Darbee processing worth the extra 100 bucks if I decide to go Oppo?
Whether it is worth it all depends on how you intend to use the player. What apps do you use the most ? Where do you get media? If local media playback is a priority, what file containers and codecs do you use? What makes you want to jump from the cheapest Sony they offer to the high end Oppo?

Apple TV integrates with Apple media in a way that is hard to replace with other devices (iTunes libraries in particular), but Roku has a ton of apps, some of them much more interesting than others.
post #16883 of 17085 Old 08-03-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by udtsealeod View Post
--Worth is subjective. If you have an interest in Darbee processing, then you would want the 103D. It is a subtle effect when used properly, so unless you have videophile interests and spent a of lot time tweaking and doing comparisons, it may not be worthwhile for you.

Since I do not know what Darbee processing is, then it's not something to look at!
Well, part of this hobby is investigation. There are comparisons and demos available of the Darbee effect to show you what it does.

As Bill mentions, it is subtle, but to my perspective (I'm a 103D owner) it has an impact and is worthwhile, not just worth the $100.

As to the two players, outside of the Darbee effect, there are some slight differences, a different video processor for the 103D, some audio processing differences, but they are essentially very similar.

Strictly as bluray players, there are many players that are equivalent. When doing DVD processing, the number of players that can keep up drop sharply, if you consider media file processing (video from your network), other players drop off precipitously, when you consider audio processing, analog audio outputs, the Oppos pretty much stand alone. Then you add the ability to use the 103(D) as video processors for other, lesser units in your chain, like cable boxes - then the Oppos definitely stand alone; they do an excellent job cleaning up input from other units.

If these features are valuable to you (I use them fully), then you want an Oppo and in my opinion, the Darbee version.

If you buy a Darbee unit separately, it costs about 300. So if you want Darbee processing, this is a deal when integrated with the Oppo 103D or 105D.

Bill has pointed you at a good resource, also you can ask any questions on the 103D thread or the Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread. Good luck, I am very satisfied with the 103D.
post #16884 of 17085 Old 08-03-2014, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Question Streaming devices that output 1080p @ 24 Hz?

Hi everyone,
In the "networking, media servers & content streaming" forum I created a thread titled "Streaming devices that output 1080p @24 Hz?" Since my question pertains not only to streaming devices but also to Blu-ray players--actually, it might pertain more to Blu-ray players since I don't own one and am considering buying one--I'd like to see if anyone who posts here in the "Blu-ray Players" forum can click on my thread and help me.
Thanks in advance!
post #16885 of 17085 Old 08-04-2014, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Source direct and a quality disc loader, meaning not cheap?

I have a Denon UDP-1611ud currently. It still "works" but the disc tray motor is slipping. The tray needs to be manually shut by spinning the gears with my finger to raise the spindle to spin the disc. Also, only discs which weigh 16 grams work, otherwise the disc rattles about 5% of my 400 discs weigh about 15.2 grams. One disc, Ernest Goes To Camp weighs 16.1 grams and loads in 1 second rather than 6 and on the initial spin goes real smooth.

I wanted to get an Oppo 103D but I heard it has a cheap plastic tray too which is the eventual source of failure? I need a good quality tray and source direct is a must.

Is there such a thing?

Thanks.
post #16886 of 17085 Old 08-05-2014, 04:23 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Details on the OPPO loader here: What is the design of the disc loader?

The tray is plastic. I don't know where you go to get a metal tray. That sounds like a high-end luxury good to me.

Note that a 2-year warranty is standard on OPPO, and that they continue to service the first player they ever made.

-Bill
post #16887 of 17085 Old 08-05-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

In my experience, the rubber hub that grips the disc is usually the first thing to fail. Nothing a good cleaning can't fix.

I've never heard of any tray related issues. The tray doesn't do anything after the disc is loaded. Maybe you need a slot loader like a PS3. I don't think it has source direct though.

Metal on plastic is a bad idea.
post #16888 of 17085 Old 08-05-2014, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
In my experience, the rubber hub that grips the disc is usually the first thing to fail. Nothing a good cleaning can't fix.

I've never heard of any tray related issues. The tray doesn't do anything after the disc is loaded. Maybe you need a slot loader like a PS3. I don't think it has source direct though.

Metal on plastic is a bad idea.
I tightened this rubber band belt. It turns gears which open and close the tray.

My other problem is the spindle isn't getting enough torque. Discs which are over 16.3 grams don't spin and the motor gives up with no disc for DVDs and CDs. Blu-rays under 15.5 grams make a rattling sound with a unknown disc.

If I tape thin washers to Blu-rays or use a cheap thin DVD or CD the discs work. My thinking is the teeth on the gears are worn. Which makes the torque lower, and higher rpm.

The culprit is the stupid rubber band which caused the tray that the motor shares with spindle to strip the gears.

I will research if the Oppo uses a rubber band belt too.

It's a shame since the mpeg decoder is the best out of any player. It even beats my SDI DVD player.
post #16889 of 17085 Old 08-06-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
I tightened this rubber band belt. It turns gears which open and close the tray.

My other problem is the spindle isn't getting enough torque. Discs which are over 16.3 grams don't spin and the motor gives up with no disc for DVDs and CDs. Blu-rays under 15.5 grams make a rattling sound with a unknown disc.

If I tape thin washers to Blu-rays or use a cheap thin DVD or CD the discs work. My thinking is the teeth on the gears are worn. Which makes the torque lower, and higher rpm.

The culprit is the stupid rubber band which caused the tray that the motor shares with spindle to strip the gears.

I will research if the Oppo uses a rubber band belt too.

It's a shame since the mpeg decoder is the best out of any player. It even beats my SDI DVD player.
This may help your research (thanks to Bill). Check out the Audioholics breakout of the loader.
post #16890 of 17085 Old 08-06-2014, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
If you just need a reliable player for DVD and BD, I would go with a current Panasonic or Sony. Both are reliable at playing discs. I have both brands. Samsung would not be a reliable choice for playing discs.

S~
Why not?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page