OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 563 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 136
The Oppo 103 (D). This is out of your price range, but I think fits your requirements.

If the budget is hard and fast, I think you are probably better off just getting the media player and if you want blu, just get the least expensive one that suits your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhansak View Post
Hi all
Could you recommend the best (or list of quite good) blu ray player that plays 720p/DTS mkv files please? My aging WDTV player is just beginning to get flaky and I was thinking of replacing it with a Sumvision Micro 4 for about 40GBP (approx $70 US) - then I realized that things have moved on in blu ray player land and many are capable of handling this format.
The Oppo plays MKV's very well, I think it does 720p correctly (haven't tried that on mine yet, but have done many MKV's).

Quote:
Essential:
Play MKV from local USB stick
Play MKV from network share on a Windows 7 PC
Optical digital audio output
LAN port

Very desirable:
Built in Wi-fi
Most players (I don't think any outside of the Oppo) don't play from network shares. The Oppo does this flawlessly. Everything else above (and more) is in the 103D I have.

Is DLNA a possibility?

Quote:
Nice to Have:
Miracast
Remote Control from Android Device
Plays flac files
Except for Miracast, the 103D has all of this (as well as ALAC, etc.). I can throw Netflix and YouTube to it from my cell phone, but that's not Miracast AFAIK.

Quote:
Hmm - that's it I think! The "Nice to Have" bit is absolutely the icing on the cake and is no way a show stopper if that's asking too much. The internet/app side is not important to me - it's all about LAN access really. Budget - if poss about 80GBP ($140 US). I have looked around on the net and I do see that many players have the mkv side in their spec but on further research reviews suggest that player performance doesn't always come up to scratch. Started going round in circles then - so would really appreciate some hands-on real world recommendations. Thanks
I think some features you're looking for are common in players, but vary in their quality. Some are only available in the Oppos (network shares, some file formats).

As with many things, if you need these things, or features that are implemented well, you may have to spend more money or go to the media player you've targeted.

Here is (to date) the list of containers / files supported by the 103
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I am behind the times to say the least.
I just replaced my Pioneer 5050 with a Samsung 8500.
Hence my dvd player is obsolete.
I need a blue ray player that plays 3d and upscales dvd's respectfully.
Thanks
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am looking at these three blu ray players. Samsung bd-h6500, Sony BD-6200, Sony bd-7200 (maybe) and the Panny Bdt460. I keep reading reviews that vary.
Which one would you recommend for me and my 65" HU9000? I will use it for watching blu rays and 3D movies.
Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
The Oppo plays MKV's very well, I think it does 720p correctly (haven't tried that on mine yet, but have done many MKV's).
Does it support 24/1.001Hz playback of media files, or are they always played at 60/1.001Hz?
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Does it support 24/1.001Hz playback of media files, or are they always played at 60/1.001Hz?
I believe it does for 1080p, I don't think 720p is available in 24.

Best place to ask is in the 103 / 103D /105 / 105D thread(s).
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
hernanu - thank you for your detailed and informative reply - much appreciated!

You're right - I'm afraid the Oppo 103 is out of my price bracket

You asked if DLNA is a possibility - yes it is. I have only ever used media players for my mkv stuff so am used to network shares as my default position - so didn't think to include alternatives. Is DLNA functionality pretty straightforward or are there wrinkles to watch out for?

If I go for DNLA and forget the file share access approach, does that bring any more players into the frame?

Thanks again.
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

You asked if DLNA is a possibility - yes it is. I have only ever used media players for my mkv stuff so am used to network shares as my default position - so didn't think to include alternatives. Is DLNA functionality pretty straightforward or are there wrinkles to watch out for?

If I go for DNLA and forget the file share access approach, does that bring any more players into the frame?

Thanks again.
If you can run a DLNA server like Serviio from a PC, the Sony players work very well for this and are a great bargain overall as far as BD players go.
Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:

Thanks again.
Panasonic players are affordable and will play from network shares. They also have optical. Not sure about flac.

Most players, except entry level, do DLNA these days. That will definitely give you a much wider range of playable file types and make setup much less complex.
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Sony bdp-s1200. I don't need 3D, don't have a 4K tv, and use an Apple TV for streaming services. Is there any reason to go with a more expensive model? Is the picture quality or audio quality inferior on a model this cheap?
Old Today, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for all the replies.

Looking at DLNA side - was about to go for a Panasonic DMP-BDT330. It seemed to have everything I needed (at that pricepoint level of quality I guess) - then I spotted this at the trustedreviews site:

"
You can stream MP3, WMA, FLAC, WAV, AAC, JPEG, MPO, AVCHD, XviD and WMV, but not MKV or DivX. You can also play files from USB storage devices and external HDDs, including MKV."

Yikes! - I obviously need to do some research on the DLNA stuff - hadn't realised that it could be format restricted.... the search continues.

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba
Gear in this thread