OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 565 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16921 of 17019 Old 08-14-2014, 04:26 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I'd settle for a sub-$250 player with some decent zoom features and accurate color output... if such an animal existeth.

ADU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16922 of 17019 Old 08-15-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
I'd settle for a sub-$250 player with some decent zoom features and accurate color output... if such an animal existeth.
It should, but apparently for that you need an Oppo ($499-599).
ADU and Jacob305 like this.
post #16923 of 17019 Old 08-15-2014, 02:20 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

I need something more like a "cheapo". But tks for the suggestion, hernanu.

I'm sure there's something else out there close to what I'm lookin for price/feature-wise. Just need to keep diggin.

ADU
post #16924 of 17019 Old 08-16-2014, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Can anyone please inform me of a cheap player with a functional web browser, with the capability to play Microsoft Silverlight content?
post #16925 of 17019 Old 08-16-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post
Can anyone please inform me of a cheap player with a functional web browser, with the capability to play Microsoft Silverlight content?
Doesn't exist.

What silverlight content exactly? Wouldn't it be better to find a player with the appropriate app?

On thing you can do on most players is use plugins on the DLNA server side to stream almost anything from any site. Check out Serviio.

Linux or PC based streamers also work well.
post #16926 of 17019 Old 08-16-2014, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks.

I will study the DLNA server as a solution, having a Win 8 laptop streaming to my Mede8er (all connected by a Gigabit network).
I've checked http://serviio.org and it seems i would be able to do what i want :
- "Serviio enables playback of online sources like RSS feeds, live streams or web site content so that you can listen to your favourite podcasts or watch latest TV programmes published online."

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by neo_2009; 08-16-2014 at 11:29 AM.
post #16927 of 17019 Old 08-18-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which players good at 2ch down mixing ?

I only use 2ch audio - stereo - and connect the player's digital output to the receiver's dac. So I have to rely on the player's downmix for good audio quality when watching video. Are some blu ray players better at this than others ? Is there such a thing ? or they are all pretty much same ? If there is difference to be found between players in this regard then I am hoping to get some feedback on which players do it best.

Keep in mind I am not asking about analog audio performance. For that I have a pretty good dac, but this is about prior to the dac where the down mixing happens.

Thanks.
post #16928 of 17019 Old 08-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anode View Post
I only use 2ch audio - stereo - and connect the player's digital output to the receiver's dac. So I have to rely on the player's downmix for good audio quality when watching video. Are some blu ray players better at this than others ? Is there such a thing ? or they are all pretty much same ? If there is difference to be found between players in this regard then I am hoping to get some feedback on which players do it best.

Keep in mind I am not asking about analog audio performance. For that I have a pretty good dac, but this is about prior to the dac where the down mixing happens.

Thanks.
Good question. I haven't really compared players with this aspect in mind. However, there are two different downmixing approaches that you should be aware of:
- Lt/Rt (Left total / right total)
- Lo/Ro (Left only / right only)

Lt/Rt is optimized for prologic surround decoders to extract surround information out of the 2 channel mix for multi-channel playback. Lo/Ro is designed for pure 2-channel stereo playback (in theory, what you would want with your system).

My Sony players (BDP-S590) have a "downmix" setting that determines which summing method is used. If I were in your shoes, I would want to make sure any players I was interested in provided this type of setting. Beyond that, I would expect the summing to be the same across devices since this is handled via the decoders that the player manufacturers license.

Last edited by Vampidemic; 08-18-2014 at 01:43 PM.
post #16929 of 17019 Old 08-18-2014, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Thanks.
If you are using digital output, there really isn't a difference between players. The difference will come when you are using analog output. Different players will have different DACS. With my Denon, I use HDMI for for movie watching and the dedicated 2 channel analog outs for music.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #16930 of 17019 Old 08-18-2014, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This is probably a foolish n00b question, but is there another way to connect an HD device like a Blu Ray player to an HDTV besides an HDMI cable? Apart from analog, which Blu players sadly no longer have?
post #16931 of 17019 Old 08-18-2014, 08:27 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Don't some of the more expensive players still include analog outputs?

ADU
post #16932 of 17019 Old 08-19-2014, 04:16 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Don't some of the more expensive players still include analog outputs?
For audio yes, but not for video. Component video has been forbidden on Blu-ray for a couple of years now.

hanshotfirst1138: you are asking for video without hdmi?

A TV with network capability would be able to access a file source on a local server, but I don't know of a Blu-ray player that can act as a server. That would be a HTPC or media server device as discussed here: http://www.avsforum.com/f/39/network...tent-streamers

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #16933 of 17019 Old 08-19-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post
Beyond that, I would expect the summing to be the same across devices since this is handled via the decoders that the player manufacturers license.
Correct, and I was thinking that perhaps quality would vary between decoders of different manufacturers ? like how video processing in different decoders differ in quality of interlacing and chroma upsampling. Some do it better than others ?
post #16934 of 17019 Old 08-19-2014, 07:28 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Correct, and I was thinking that perhaps quality would vary between decoders of different manufacturers ? like how video processing in different decoders differ in quality of interlacing and chroma upsampling. Some do it better than others ?
We have this thread: All 1080p is not created equal - a Blu-ray Player Benchmark

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #16935 of 17019 Old 08-21-2014, 02:50 PM

Am I supposed to find an exhaustive list of bd players showing a score of all the tests ? because I could not. All I found was the example comparison between the Sony and Oppo. Please let me know if I not looking in the right place.
post #16936 of 17019 Old 08-21-2014, 03:07 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Am I supposed to find an exhaustive list of bd players showing a score of all the tests ? because I could not. All I found was the example comparison between the Sony and Oppo. Please let me know if I not looking in the right place.
No, I don't know of such a list. During the DVD era there were nice online databases of test results for many players, but this doesn't seem to happen for Blu-ray.

Much of DVD testing was for the various artifacts caused by poor deinterlacing. It's less important for Blu-ray where most content does not require it.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #16937 of 17019 Old 08-21-2014, 05:50 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Try the "Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity" website. I believe they do the most in-depth reviews of BD players.

They don't generally review the very low-end units, but you can probably make some general assumptions about the performance of some lower-end players from the next step up in the line. The video hardware is often the same on low and mid-range players in the same line. What mainly changes are features like wifi, 3D, etc.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 08-21-2014 at 08:46 PM.
post #16938 of 17019 Old 08-21-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Other than the Oppos, is there a player that can access SMB/CIFS and/or NFS shares (as opposed to DLNA) and plays FLAC?
post #16939 of 17019 Old 08-21-2014, 08:10 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since you're using digital rather than analog output, I don't know if this will apply to your situation, but I've noticed that some players have better built-in virtual surround processing on their analog outputs than others.

My Sony BDP-S390 does an ok/so-so job with Dolby multi-channel tracks, but it's virtual surround processing is unreliable with DTS multi-channel tracks. And I often have to switch the downmix setting from "Surround" to just "Stereo" to get adequate L/M/R sound staging from the RCA analog audio outputs with DTS movies.

Other players may have a more 3-dimensional virtual surround sound on Dolby tracks as well. I believe the Sony only simulates 3.0 channels (L-front, R-front & rear). Others may be able to simulate left and right side and rear channels. So if you get a Sony, you may be better off using a receiver for the downmixing.

The S390 has pretty nice sound quality on it's analog outs though to my ears, even though it's virtual surround processing is not the best.

Virtual surround is sort of a legacy feature btw, so it's probably not the sort of thing that "Secrets" would cover in much depth, if at all.

ADU
post #16940 of 17019 Old 08-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Since you're using digital rather than analog output, I don't know if this will apply to your situation, but I've noticed that some players have better built-in virtual surround processing on their analog outputs than others.

My Sony BDP-S390 does an ok/so-so job with Dolby multi-channel tracks, but it's virtual surround processing is unreliable with DTS multi-channel tracks. And I often have to switch the downmix setting from "Surround" to just "Stereo" to get adequate L/M/R sound staging from the RCA analog audio outputs with DTS movies.

Other players may have a more 3-dimensional virtual surround sound on Dolby tracks as well. I believe the Sony only simulates 3.0 channels (L-front, R-front & rear). Others may be able to simulate left and right side and rear channels. So if you get a Sony, you may be better off using a receiver for the downmixing.

The S390 has pretty nice sound quality on it's analog outs though to my ears, even though it's virtual surround processing is not the best.

Virtual surround is sort of a legacy feature btw, so it's probably not the sort of thing that "Secrets" would cover in much depth, if at all.
Anode was asking about downmixing multichannel content for output to the players digital output in 2 channel format for playback on a 2 channel sound system.

Your response seems to discuss outputting 2 channel audio out of the analog outputs of the player and playing back on an audio system which simulates surround by processing those two channels into multi channel surround. These are two very different use scenarios.

Ideally, you should use HDMI, optical or coaxial to send the discrete surround to your audio system instead of using the analog outs and processing with a matrix to output more channels. Under that use, it would be the AVR, not the player doing the virtual surround processing since the player only has left and right analog outs.
post #16941 of 17019 Old 08-22-2014, 04:53 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply, Vampidemic.

FYI, I'm not using any special hardware or "surround" headphones downstream of the player to help simulate the surround effects. I'm just using the Sony S390's own virtual surround processing with a pair of off-the-shelf headphones. I'm not sure if the player's v-surround downmix would be the same via the digital output as it is on the RCA analog outputs. If it is the same, then a receiver might do a better job of downmixing because the player's built-in 2-channel v-surround capabilities seem rather limited and not that reliable with DTS tracks... at least not when using the analog outputs.

If all you want is a standard stereo 2-channel downmix (without virtual surround effects), the Sonys are fine for that.

ADU
post #16942 of 17019 Old 08-24-2014, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Need to buy a new player with dual band - recommendations?

Hi everybody,

Background: I set up a wireless network here, that goes all around the house, with Comcast HSI ( high speed internet ) and recently upgraded to a dual band router. We have Netflix and enjoy streaming with it. One hitch though, is that the cordless phones and other neighborhood wireless modems are interfering with the 2.5 GHz band, which is why I upgraded to the dual band router, and I want to switch everything to 5 GHz now. ( completely quiet band here! Yes! )

We have blu ray players in two bedrooms here, one of which I want to replace. In one bedroom, we have a Panasonic DMP-BD60, an older model with no wireless, but it doesn't matter - we have a Roku 3 in there, so dual band should be fine on that. But this player does something that I want to AVOID when I get the new one for the other room. If we're watching a movie and accidentally hit Stop instead of the Pause button right next to it, it starts the fricking movie ALL over again, complete with top secret FBI warnings and any previews of movies that played 3 years ago!

The other unit doesn't have a Roku but does have single band streaming built in - it's a Sony BDR-S5100 ( yeah, the stupid jewel top where we cant put anything on it, like the Joey ), so I want to replace THAT one with something dual band.

So I'd like a recommendation for a lower cost player which is dual band but still highly rated, just not with all kinds of bells and whistles costing a lot. We don't have 3D or any of that. And if possible, something that avoids dumb protocols like starting the disc all over, if you hit the stop button. One thing I really don't care for with the Sony, is also that it has a short remote and the Netflix button is all the way at the back end, so I just about HAVE to hold it with 2 hands, to push that button, but it is a nice feature.

Thanks!

- Melissa
post #16943 of 17019 Old 08-25-2014, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Why is there variation in the picture quality of Blu-ray players?

I'm shopping around for a new 3D Blu-ray player and although I've learned that in general there isn't much variation in the picture quality of Blu-ray players when they are playing Blu-ray discs, I don't understand why there is any variation AT ALL when an HDMI connection is used, since there is no digital-to-analog conversion happening; they simply take the digital data that exists on the Blu-ray disc, and send it to the AVR or TV via HDMI, right?

I understand that some players do a better job of upscaling DVDs than others, but upscaling is different matter.

Second, are there any 3D Blu-ray players that do a bit-for-bit, pixel-for-pixel perfect reproduction of the digital video data on the Blu-ray disc *without* using artificial enhancement? Ones that also, when it comes to audio, will either decode the multichannel audio on the disc (whether it is Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA) and send it as LPCM, bit-for-bit perfect, via HDMI to an AVR; or, alternatively, stream the Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD-MA, or Dolby Atmos, bit-for-bit perfect, to an AVR via HDMI?

Optional: a player that also has the best streaming services built-in (Netflix, YouTube, Vudu, and possibly Crackle, Spotify, and CinemaNow)? Before I was looking at 3D Blu-ray players I was looking for a streaming media box that supports both 3D and 1080p24, and the only one I found was Sony's Google TV box, and I didn't want Google TV, so I decided to look at 3D Blu-ray players, since all(?) Blu-ray players support 1080p24, and since I don't have a Blu-ray player and it might be good to have one.

Optional: a player that has a backlit remote.

Last edited by Drew Neilson; 08-26-2014 at 08:40 AM.
post #16944 of 17019 Old 08-26-2014, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So what exactly is "dual core" and why do I need it? It sounds great I understand dual core processor in a computer (sort of) but why would I need it in a Blu-ray player?

Chubby, old guy in Omaha, Nebraska
post #16945 of 17019 Old 08-26-2014, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
So what exactly is "dual core" and why do I need it? It sounds great I understand dual core processor in a computer (sort of) but why would I need it in a Blu-ray player?
It doesn't mean anything really, not without something to compare it to.

I use a Sony S5100, the interface is sooooooooooo slow, so maybe a second core would speed it up?
post #16946 of 17019 Old 08-26-2014, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa2008B View Post
Need to buy a new player with dual band - recommendations?

Hi everybody,

Background: I set up a wireless network here, that goes all around the house, with Comcast HSI ( high speed internet ) and recently upgraded to a dual band router. We have Netflix and enjoy streaming with it. One hitch though, is that the cordless phones and other neighborhood wireless modems are interfering with the 2.5 GHz band, which is why I upgraded to the dual band router, and I want to switch everything to 5 GHz now. ( completely quiet band here! Yes! )

We have blu ray players in two bedrooms here, one of which I want to replace. In one bedroom, we have a Panasonic DMP-BD60, an older model with no wireless, but it doesn't matter - we have a Roku 3 in there, so dual band should be fine on that. But this player does something that I want to AVOID when I get the new one for the other room. If we're watching a movie and accidentally hit Stop instead of the Pause button right next to it, it starts the fricking movie ALL over again, complete with top secret FBI warnings and any previews of movies that played 3 years ago!

The other unit doesn't have a Roku but does have single band streaming built in - it's a Sony BDR-S5100 ( yeah, the stupid jewel top where we cant put anything on it, like the Joey ), so I want to replace THAT one with something dual band.

So I'd like a recommendation for a lower cost player which is dual band but still highly rated, just not with all kinds of bells and whistles costing a lot. We don't have 3D or any of that. And if possible, something that avoids dumb protocols like starting the disc all over, if you hit the stop button. One thing I really don't care for with the Sony, is also that it has a short remote and the Netflix button is all the way at the back end, so I just about HAVE to hold it with 2 hands, to push that button, but it is a nice feature.

Thanks!
Most players have crappy Wi-Fi radios and dual band is uncommon. Have you found any candidates that have it? A few years ago, there were several dual band models, but newer players in the lines I recall having that featured dropped the feature in subsequent model years, presumably to cut cost.

I would choose your players based on other criteria and move all of your 5 Ghz capable devices to 5 Ghz to reduce 2.4 Ghz traffic. You may also have some optimizations available on 2.4 Ghz (changing channel, etc.). If the Wi-Fi performance is still inadequate and a wired option is not feasible (Ethernet, MoCA or Powerline) look into Wi-Fi bridges to plug your player into your player's Ethernet port. You should get better performance this way, even compared to dual band players.
post #16947 of 17019 Old 08-26-2014, 08:25 PM

The more I look, the more I'm NOT finding dual band blu-ray players. A couple of Samsung models were SAID to have them, but further reviews said NOT. The FACT is, we have at least 6 neighborhood router / modem stations piggy backed on our 2.5 GHz band, and NONE on 5 GHz. Don't the blu-ray manufacturers recognize this, after ALL this time and people ASKING for it?

Meanwhile, it looks like I'll have to get a Roku 3 instead and keep my old single bang blu-ray, so the industry will lose the sale.

- Melissa
post #16948 of 17019 Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 PM

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/com...ng-4171523.php

"Luckily, you made the right move without knowing it by getting a dual-band router. Most Internet-ready Blu-ray players can use the 5 GHz band, which is far less susceptible to interference because few devices right now are compatible with it. In fact, router manufacturers recommend using 5 GHz for streaming movies. So change your DVD settings to connect via your router's 5 GHz band. I'm willing to bet that does the trick."

That's sure news to me. If it's true, they sure are keeping it a secret!

- Melissa
post #16949 of 17019 Old 08-26-2014, 08:48 PM

This might be one option. I imagine my Sony BDR-S5100 has a ethernet port - will check.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...dual_band.html

- Melissa
post #16950 of 17019 Old 08-27-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I know my last post was long, any many people might have skipped reading it because of its length, but if anyone can answer any of my questions, even if just the first one (the first paragraph), please help me!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page