OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 566 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #16951 of 17444 Old 08-27-2014, 12:18 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,802
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
I know my last post was long, any many people might have skipped reading it because of its length, but if anyone can answer any of my questions, even if just the first one (the first paragraph), please help me!
I actually wrote you a detailed, informative reply in your original thread that got lost when your post was transferred here. A tragedy.

Try this: All 1080p is not created equal - a Blu-ray Player Benchmark

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16952 of 17444 Old 08-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 4,677
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Bill,

I don't see a reply or post.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
teachsac is online now  
post #16953 of 17444 Old 08-27-2014, 10:13 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member
 
ADU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 6,497
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
I'm shopping around for a new 3D Blu-ray player and although I've learned that in general there isn't much variation in the picture quality of Blu-ray players when they are playing Blu-ray discs, I don't understand why there is any variation AT ALL when an HDMI connection is used, since there is no digital-to-analog conversion happening; they simply take the digital data that exists on the Blu-ray disc, and send it to the AVR or TV via HDMI, right?
I'm surprised Chris H. hasn't chimed in on this. Here are two articles from Secrets on the above subject though (since Bill's original answer went kaput, and the link in this thread is now broken)...

The Secrets Blu-ray Player HDMI Benchmark - Part I

The first page in the above article explains why it is not possible for any player (including Oppos) to transfer video directly from a Blu-ray disc to a display as originally encoded. It has to do with differences in color spaces and sub-sampling supported by the two devices. The best you can hope for is accurate YCbCr 4:2:0 to 4:2:2, 4:4:4, or RGB conversion.

And this quote from a SpectraCal rep explains why accurate color from a player is important if you want your display correctly adjusted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Secrets Blu-ray Player HDMI Benchmark - Part I
"if you rely on your optical player (Blu-ray or DVD) as your primary source and you use it to generate reference test patterns from a pattern disc to calibrate your display(s), there is no guarantee you will end up seeing the content as it was originally intended. This is due to the possibility that you will have improper source decoding and perceivable deltaE in output levels. If this occurs, your entire video chain including the display will not be calibrated properly and the quality of the original content will be lost."
The Secrets Blu-ray Player HDMI Benchmark - Part 2

The follow-up article demonstrates how a calibration can go wrong due to incorrect color output in your source device (e.g. BD player). Very interesting read (if you're a HT geek).

The last time I went shopping for a BD player 1-2 years ago, just about all the players I tested were outputting incorrect colors in their RGB modes. Sony subsequently fixed the issue on my S390 (and their other players, I assume) in a firmware update.

Accurate RGB output was important to me at the time, because my older 2002 Sony CRT would not accept YCbCr signals on it's DVI-HDCP input. So RGB was the only way to send 1080i to the TV from a BD player.

I did not have an accurate way of testing the S390's YCbCr output at the time, but have since confirmed that it's correct using the Red Only, Green Only and Blue Only modes on a couple Samsung plasma displays.

The reasons why there are errors/inaccuracies in the color output of video players, receivers, etc. are myriad btw, and not just related to color space conversion. If you want the real answer to that question, you'd have to ask each individual mfr... though I doubt most would give a coherent answer.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 08-27-2014 at 10:22 PM.
ADU is offline  
post #16954 of 17444 Old 08-28-2014, 07:52 AM
Member
 
neo_2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm trying to decide if i should go for the cheapest Blu-ray available, or if i should spend a little more.
The Sony s1200 has almost everything i need, and its PQ should be identical to its older brothers.
The Sony s4200 has one more feature i want, an web browser, but i dont know if its usable (my mede8er 600x already has an web browser, i'm wondering if the Sony is better).

I could also get an yamaha bds-473 for a little more. I like the yamaha due to its better build quality.
I can get (i'm form Europe) the Sony 1200 (90$), 4200 (120$), yamaha 473 (160$).

I'm trying to decide :
1 - If i go with the Sony, does the Web browser of the 4200 worth 30$ more?
2 - If the build quality of the yamaha is worth 70$ more.

As it's a BR player, build quality isnt very important so i'm tempted by the Sony's ...

Last edited by neo_2009; 08-28-2014 at 07:59 AM.
neo_2009 is offline  
post #16955 of 17444 Old 08-28-2014, 09:39 AM
Member
 
giantsx6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hows it going, looking for a blu-ray player that is quiet and fast, also I will be using a lot of burned discs and want a player that won't have an issue running them. It doesn't have to be near 300, it could be 150,200 etc. I was looking at the Sony BDP-S6200 but not sure how good it is. Thanks, appreciate it
giantsx6 is offline  
post #16956 of 17444 Old 08-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Member
 
Makav3li's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Panasonic VT60 that I use an old Insignia NS-WBRDVD player. The VT60 can do 3D and in general I think it's time for an upgrade. One thing I have really appreciated about the Insignia player is its ability to play a variety of media files off of USB (mkv, avi, mp4, etc.). I also originally bough it for use with a dumb tv and used the netflix streaming ability. The VT60 has it's own built in apps so I don't need a player specifically for them. I would like to keep the media playback functionality.

I've done some quick searching on this forum to find a good bang for the buck player that will handle these requirements. I've somewhat settled on the Sony BDP-S6200 as a good option. My question for you more knowledgeable people is, is this one of the better or best options on the market? Or have I missed something? Any help would be appreciated.
Makav3li is offline  
post #16957 of 17444 Old 08-28-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,356
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Lots of questions today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post
I'm trying to decide if i should go for the cheapest Blu-ray available, or if i should spend a little more.
The Sony s1200 has almost everything i need, and its PQ should be identical to its older brothers.
The Sony s4200 has one more feature i want, an web browser, but i dont know if its usable (my mede8er 600x already has an web browser, i'm wondering if the Sony is better).

I could also get an yamaha bds-473 for a little more. I like the yamaha due to its better build quality.
I can get (i'm form Europe) the Sony 1200 (90$), 4200 (120$), yamaha 473 (160$).

I'm trying to decide :
1 - If i go with the Sony, does the Web browser of the 4200 worth 30$ more?
2 - If the build quality of the yamaha is worth 70$ more.

As it's a BR player, build quality isnt very important so i'm tempted by the Sony's ...
The browser on sony players is worthless. So save your money.

Build quality worth is your call. My TV and laptop are plastic, so a plastic BD player doesn't bother me.

The 1200 does not have wifi or 3D, as far as I know, at least my 1100 doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsx6 View Post
Hows it going, looking for a blu-ray player that is quiet and fast, also I will be using a lot of burned discs and want a player that won't have an issue running them. It doesn't have to be near 300, it could be 150,200 etc. I was looking at the Sony BDP-S6200 but not sure how good it is. Thanks, appreciate it
I've had the best luck playing burned discs with Panny, not Sony. Others may have different experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makav3li View Post
I have a Panasonic VT60 that I use an old Insignia NS-WBRDVD player. The VT60 can do 3D and in general I think it's time for an upgrade. One thing I have really appreciated about the Insignia player is its ability to play a variety of media files off of USB (mkv, avi, mp4, etc.). I also originally bough it for use with a dumb tv and used the netflix streaming ability. The VT60 has it's own built in apps so I don't need a player specifically for them. I would like to keep the media playback functionality.

I've done some quick searching on this forum to find a good bang for the buck player that will handle these requirements. I've somewhat settled on the Sony BDP-S6200 as a good option. My question for you more knowledgeable people is, is this one of the better or best options on the market? Or have I missed something? Any help would be appreciated.
If you are in the US, Sony won't play avi (Divx anyway), but you can spoof the file headers and make them look like Xvid. It's much easier to use DLNA than USB, in my opinion. The 6200 seems like vast overkill for your requirements (you need 4k upscaling and rare audio formats?). Cheap players give you the most bang for the buck. Expensive ones give you slightly more bang for a lot more buck.
neo_2009 likes this.
mdavej is offline  
post #16958 of 17444 Old 08-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Member
 
giantsx6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mdavej what about Samsung? Also what Panasonic do you recommend? Thanks.
giantsx6 is offline  
post #16959 of 17444 Old 08-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Member
 
Makav3li's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
If you are in the US, Sony won't play avi (Divx anyway), but you can spoof the file headers and make them look like Xvid. It's much easier to use DLNA than USB, in my opinion. The 6200 seems like vast overkill for your requirements (you need 4k upscaling and rare audio formats?). Cheap players give you the most bang for the buck. Expensive ones give you slightly more bang for a lot more buck.
I understand where you're coming from. In your opinion, what is a better option that has support for mkv, avi, mp4, etc., DLNA, and 3D blu-ray support? I thought 4k might be useful because I will probably keep the player for a long time and 4k adoption may pick up in the next few years. Appreciate your help.
Makav3li is offline  
post #16960 of 17444 Old 08-29-2014, 01:01 PM
 
Apostate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post
I'm trying to decide :
1 - If i go with the Sony, does the Web browser of the 4200 worth 30$ more?
2 - If the build quality of the yamaha is worth 70$ more.
1. No, unless you need wifi that 4200 offers.
2. No, quality of internal component is more important than how robust or heavy the unit is.
neo_2009 likes this.
Apostate is offline  
post #16961 of 17444 Old 08-31-2014, 03:31 PM
Newbie
 
lind777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Blu-Ray Player's MP4 Playback Capability using USB Connection

I would like to purchase a Blu-Ray player and will mostly use it to playback movies that I Handbraked to MP4 format. Does anyone have feedback on Blu-Ray or DVD players which do the best job with MP4s? Menu structure for searching via remote is important as well. Thanks.
lind777 is offline  
post #16962 of 17444 Old 08-31-2014, 09:49 PM
Newbie
 
themeridian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Best bluray player next to Oppo for DVD upscaling?

I went dumpster diving on Google, and after all the sifting it appears the LG BP540 is likely the next best thing to an Oppo for playing DVDs without artifacts. My only concern is that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of objective confirmation of that; just a bunch of mixed anecdotal comments on amazon, etc..


Wish I could afford an Oppo, but right now I hit my fiscal reality cap in the $100-$150 range.

Any help is appreciated.
themeridian is offline  
post #16963 of 17444 Old 09-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vampidemic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by themeridian View Post
I went dumpster diving on Google, and after all the sifting it appears the LG BP540 is likely the next best thing to an Oppo for playing DVDs without artifacts. My only concern is that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of objective confirmation of that; just a bunch of mixed anecdotal comments on amazon, etc..

Wish I could afford an Oppo, but right now I hit my fiscal reality cap in the $100-$150 range.

Any help is appreciated.
My last two LG players had persistent issues with buggy software updates and the drive mechanism in one player started failing just after a year of use. LG tends to have fairly broad file format support, but they don't have a reputation for quality so I would suggest staying away.

I'm not sure what you're after when you suggest you're having trouble finding objective information about DVD upscaling. Upscaling 'quality' is a subjective measurement. The player is multiplying pixels to increase the resolution of the image. This will either make the image pixelated or blurry, depending on how the resampling is handled (the player cannot magically add detail that was not captured and encoded on the disc so it will never compare to an HD image). However, you may want to look for a player that allows you to adjust sharpness and/or other image processing controls that allow you to optimize upscaling operations to suit your taste.
Vampidemic is offline  
post #16964 of 17444 Old 09-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Newbie
 
themeridian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post
I'm not sure what you're after when you suggest you're having trouble finding objective information about DVD upscaling. Upscaling 'quality' is a subjective measurement. The player is multiplying pixels to increase the resolution of the image. This will either make the image pixelated or blurry, depending on how the resampling is handled (the player cannot magically add detail that was not captured and encoded on the disc so it will never compare to an HD image). However, you may want to look for a player that allows you to adjust sharpness and/or other image processing controls that allow you to optimize upscaling operations to suit your taste.

I apologize for the confusion. I was having trouble finding corroborating evidence for the BP450's upscaling capabilities in particular. I certainly wasn't having trouble finding info on DVD upscaling in general. Quite the opposite, in fact.


For whatever reason, my eyes love to home in on upscaling artifacts. I can get so distracted by the artifacts that it starts ruining the movie experience. My goal is (was?) to find a bluray player in the $150-ish range with upscaling capabilities as close to the Oppo as I can get without having to get the Oppo. That may be a pipe dream, but since the BP450 seemed to have at least one informed recommendation I thought I'd follow up and ask the question here.

Out of curiosity, are there any particular manufacturers/models that allow discrete control of the upscaling parameters as you mentioned?
themeridian is offline  
post #16965 of 17444 Old 09-01-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,356
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Get an old Toshiba HD DVD player. It'll be super cheap and has the best upconversion I've seen outside of Oppo. Get any cheap player you like for BD.

But don't get your hopes up. Even the best can't work miracles. You'll still get artifacts no matter what.

Last edited by mdavej; 09-01-2014 at 03:41 PM.
mdavej is offline  
post #16966 of 17444 Old 09-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Member
 
Gerryh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Philadelphia area
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I need a recommendation. I have an Oppo 103 for my main HT set up and am looking for a BD for a second HT. Space in the component cabinet is tight so I would like something thinner than the Oppo. My most important considerations are:
--upconversion for DVD's
--streaming for Netflix and Pandora
--best audio section I can get.


I have been reading here about the Sony's, Panny's, LG, Pio. Seems like the best for the buck is the older Sony 790. The TV is a VT60 and Receiver is Marantz 7007.


Thanks for your help

GH
Gerryh is offline  
post #16967 of 17444 Old 09-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Vertical/upright/wall-mount blu-ray players?

Hello,
I am trying to locate a vertical/upright wall-mount blu-ray player to upgrade my inlaw's TV setup.

Last year my inlaws moved into a house they had built. They had me wall-mount a new 55" Samsung, high up in their living room about 6.5-7ft off the ground (lofted ceiling). They had enough sense to request an electrical outlet be installed where the TV was going, but failed to think of adding anything else. This is likely because they live in the country and only use HD antenna for TV service (it's actually not that bad), but they could have at least thought to have A/V plates installed for a future dvd player since they knew they wanted a sleek look.

Fast forward a year, they've been satisfied with their HDTV + antenna (), but now they watch our 14 month old son on a daily basis and he's starting to watch movies regularly - so now I need to find a solution. Tearing up the brand new walls to install A/V wall plates is out of the question and doesn't really have logical routing either due to location of TV in the lofted room (no attic above) vs nearest cabinet/closet to house the electronics. In the position they keep the TV, there is about 10" space behind it. I thought of just putting a compact player on a small shelf behind the tv, but this is a last resort - they would rather manually plug/unplug a player each time they use it, and have the wires hang 7ft below the tv

I looked online hoping there would be tons of current info out there, since it seems most households have upgraded to wall-mount TVs in the past 10yrs...but there just doesn't seem to be much support at all! Guessing this is because all the accessories are still horizontal?

I am aware of Playstations having this capability, but it's kinda out of my price range and not something too user-friendly to someone who doesn't even have a cell phone...and it would literally NEVER be used to play games. I did see 2-3 blu-ray players that have the vertical capability, but they also seem overpriced for this type of situation, and questionable reliability since there are so few reviews available. I am looking more for the under $100 player if it's possible.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Brian
theperkolator is offline  
post #16968 of 17444 Old 09-02-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 2,755
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Samsung made one at one point in time but I don't think that model is available any more. There never seemed to be much demand for them. I doubt you will find what you want on the market. Maybe you can find a used one. The problem then is that there may not be firmware support for an older player and some new discs won't play.

JazzGuyy is offline  
post #16969 of 17444 Old 09-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Member
 
Fuelrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: East TN
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I need help finding a BD player.

I need:
Irule Control via IP (no IR)
3D
Low Cost $200ish?
I prefer Amazon unless I can get a deal elsewhere.

It will be in a theater room paired with

Denon X4000
Benq w1070

Currently using an early PS3 which has been fine but i want more seamless iRule Control via IP.
Fuelrush is offline  
post #16970 of 17444 Old 09-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vampidemic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by themeridian View Post
Out of curiosity, are there any particular manufacturers/models that allow discrete control of the upscaling parameters as you mentioned?

Sony holds out most of their picture controls for their top models so the ones I own (BDP- S590) don't have this. I know the BDP-S790 and BDP-S6200 have advanced picture controls, but I haven't used them. The 6200 manual makes it sound like there are smoothing and noise reduction on and off settings which may do the trick.

My old LG players had a sharpness slider with variable settings, but again, I would not recommend those players, especially because they're several years old.
Vampidemic is offline  
post #16971 of 17444 Old 09-02-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,356
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelrush View Post
I need help finding a BD player.

I need:
Irule Control via IP (no IR)
3D
Low Cost $200ish?
I prefer Amazon unless I can get a deal elsewhere.

It will be in a theater room paired with

Denon X4000
Benq w1070

Currently using an early PS3 which has been fine but i want more seamless iRule Control via IP.
IIRC, iRule IP control works on Sony (double check iRule site to confirm). Closest model to your price target is 6200, although 5200 also meets your requirements for much less money. My Sony plays very nicely with my Denon.
mdavej is offline  
post #16972 of 17444 Old 09-03-2014, 11:28 AM
 
Apostate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryh View Post
Seems like the best for the buck is the older Sony 790.
The current Sony S6200 is supposed to be equivalent to Sony 790 picture-wise.
Apostate is offline  
post #16973 of 17444 Old 09-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 4,677
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 165
It's a lot faster than the S790. Plus the X200 series supports NF 3D whereas the S790 does not. I'd go with the newer model over the 790 since you do not need to run dual HDMI for audio and video.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
teachsac is online now  
post #16974 of 17444 Old 09-03-2014, 11:33 AM
 
Apostate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by themeridian View Post
I apologize for the confusion. I was having trouble finding corroborating evidence for the BP450's upscaling capabilities in particular.
If LG BP540 is anything like LG models from past two years, the DVD upscaling is decidedly mediocre and average at best. My opinion is from owning two LG players. LG's were worse than Sony's (excluding top model S790 and S6200/7200) which is saying a lot.
Apostate is offline  
post #16975 of 17444 Old 09-03-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 7,808
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by theperkolator View Post
Hello,
I am trying to locate a vertical/upright wall-mount blu-ray player to upgrade my inlaw's TV setup.
[...]
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Brian
You might try a standard player tipped on its side. You'd have to provide a (narrow) shelf for it, though.

My experience with tray DVD drives in desktop computers is that they usually work fine when on their sides, with the tray in a vertical instead of horizontal position. So long as the disc doesn't fall out before the tray closes, of course. Once the tray has gone in, the disc is clamped tightly in position before it spins up, so orientation doesn't matter at that point.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is online now  
post #16976 of 17444 Old 09-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Member
 
Jamo8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ok guys, before I pull the trigger buying the Oppo, I need a bit of advice.

I'm planning to buy either the Oppo-103 or Oppo-103Darbee edition. Before I pull the trigger, is it day & night difference between them ?

I have Sony 55es projector and Onkyo TX-NR1010 AVR, if that matters.

Also, since the oppo has dual hdmi output ,I'm thinking to configure like this, Option 1hdmi 1 output goes directly to projector and hdmi 2 output goes to AVR. Option 2 just hdmi 1 output to avr and Avr output to projector . Any advantage going with option 1 ?

Also, sorry if these questions asked before. I can't be bothered to go thru 555 pages.
Jamo8 is offline  
post #16977 of 17444 Old 09-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Member
 
Takayama1962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I think I am in the right thread. I have only posted a few times, and I suspect I have done so in the wrong forums a couple of times. Anyway...

Yes, I think I am looking for help deciding which Blu-Ray player to buy, but before I ask that basic question, I think I need an education. I just don't know enough (really much of anything) about the capabilities of today's Blu-Ray players, and I can't seem to find the threads that would answer my questions. Can someone please point me towards discussions that answer the following questions?

1. Are most Blu-Ray players backwards compatible? By which I mean, can they play media files that are encoded in other formats besides the Blu-Ray standard? I have many files on my computer in various formats, essentially .avi and .mp4. Can a typical Blu-Ray player do this?

2. I understand that most players these days support WiFi to a LAN. Can a Blu-Ray player play back media resident on another device connected to the LAN? My WiFi is broadband, and pretty fast. Are there typically quality or bandwidth issues when playing back media in this way? What are the typical file type limitations? Does the media file need to be in a container, as if it were burned on a disk? Or can players read the supported file types as they are?

3. I also understand that most players support playback from a USB storage device. What are the limitations and/or requirements?

If anyone would like to reply directly to these questions, I would be grateful. I would be equally grateful, however, for links to discussions that address these issues. I am having trouble finding threads addressing my very basic questions.

Once I understand better the capabilities of today's Blu-Ray players, I can begin to figure out which player I should choose.

Thank you in advance!
Takayama1962 is offline  
post #16978 of 17444 Old 09-03-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,356
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takayama1962 View Post
OK, I think I am in the right thread. I have only posted a few times, and I suspect I have done so in the wrong forums a couple of times. Anyway...

Yes, I think I am looking for help deciding which Blu-Ray player to buy, but before I ask that basic question, I think I need an education. I just don't know enough (really much of anything) about the capabilities of today's Blu-Ray players, and I can't seem to find the threads that would answer my questions. Can someone please point me towards discussions that answer the following questions?

1. Are most Blu-Ray players backwards compatible? By which I mean, can they play media files that are encoded in other formats besides the Blu-Ray standard? I have many files on my computer in various formats, essentially .avi and .mp4. Can a typical Blu-Ray player do this?
Not really. Each has limits. LG and Samsung probably support the most, Sony is in the middle, Panasonic the worst. US/Euro models also have different file capabilities due to different licensing, i.e., Divx is rarely supported in the US, but Xvid is.

Quote:
2. I understand that most players these days support WiFi to a LAN. Can a Blu-Ray player play back media resident on another device connected to the LAN? My WiFi is broadband, and pretty fast. Are there typically quality or bandwidth issues when playing back media in this way? What are the typical file type limitations? Does the media file need to be in a container, as if it were burned on a disk? Or can players read the supported file types as they are?
Wifi streaming usually works fine. DLNA is best since any necessary transcoding on the fly is handled by your server. Otherwise players can be very picky and need a container, not a disc structure, and not ISO, and not network shares.

Quote:
3. I also understand that most players support playback from a USB storage device. What are the limitations and/or requirements?
Depends on the player. Some support only a few file types and sizes. Others support many.

My advice: Get a disc player for discs and a streaming box like WDTV or a PC for files. You'll have the broadest file support that way, no compromises.

Last edited by mdavej; 09-03-2014 at 09:34 PM.
mdavej is offline  
post #16979 of 17444 Old 09-03-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,356
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo8 View Post
Ok guys, before I pull the trigger buying the Oppo, I need a bit of advice.

I'm planning to buy either the Oppo-103 or Oppo-103Darbee edition. Before I pull the trigger, is it day & night difference between them ?

I have Sony 55es projector and Onkyo TX-NR1010 AVR, if that matters.

Also, since the oppo has dual hdmi output ,I'm thinking to configure like this, Option 1hdmi 1 output goes directly to projector and hdmi 2 output goes to AVR. Option 2 just hdmi 1 output to avr and Avr output to projector . Any advantage going with option 1 ?

Also, sorry if these questions asked before. I can't be bothered to go thru 555 pages.
Since your time is more valuable than mine, here's something to get you going

Nobody can tell you in a few sentences if Darbee is for you. Gotta do your homework and decide for yourself.

No advantage whatsoever to option 1 unless your AVR can't pass 3D.

This site and Google have great search capabilities. There's no need to read every word ever posted.
mdavej is offline  
post #16980 of 17444 Old 09-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 4,677
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo8 View Post
Ok guys, before I pull the trigger buying the Oppo, I need a bit of advice.

I'm planning to buy either the Oppo-103 or Oppo-103Darbee edition. Before I pull the trigger, is it day & night difference between them ?

I have Sony 55es projector and Onkyo TX-NR1010 AVR, if that matters.

Also, since the oppo has dual hdmi output ,I'm thinking to configure like this, Option 1hdmi 1 output goes directly to projector and hdmi 2 output goes to AVR. Option 2 just hdmi 1 output to avr and Avr output to projector . Any advantage going with option 1 ?

Also, sorry if these questions asked before. I can't be bothered to go thru 555 pages.
That question has been addressed many times in the Oppo threads. The search function should find you a wide variety of answers. Some like it. Some don't.


S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
teachsac is online now  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off