OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 566 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16951 of 16959 Old 08-27-2014, 11:18 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
I know my last post was long, any many people might have skipped reading it because of its length, but if anyone can answer any of my questions, even if just the first one (the first paragraph), please help me!
I actually wrote you a detailed, informative reply in your original thread that got lost when your post was transferred here. A tragedy.

Try this: All 1080p is not created equal - a Blu-ray Player Benchmark

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16952 of 16959 Old 08-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Bill,

I don't see a reply or post.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #16953 of 16959 Old 08-27-2014, 09:13 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
I'm shopping around for a new 3D Blu-ray player and although I've learned that in general there isn't much variation in the picture quality of Blu-ray players when they are playing Blu-ray discs, I don't understand why there is any variation AT ALL when an HDMI connection is used, since there is no digital-to-analog conversion happening; they simply take the digital data that exists on the Blu-ray disc, and send it to the AVR or TV via HDMI, right?
I'm surprised Chris H. hasn't chimed in on this. Here are two articles from Secrets on the above subject though (since Bill's original answer went kaput, and the link in this thread is now broken)...

The Secrets Blu-ray Player HDMI Benchmark - Part I

The first page in the above article explains why it is not possible for any player (including Oppos) to transfer video directly from a Blu-ray disc to a display as originally encoded. It has to do with differences in color spaces and sub-sampling supported by the two devices. The best you can hope for is accurate YCbCr 4:2:0 to 4:2:2, 4:4:4, or RGB conversion.

And this quote from a SpectraCal rep explains why accurate color from a player is important if you want your display correctly adjusted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Secrets Blu-ray Player HDMI Benchmark - Part I
"if you rely on your optical player (Blu-ray or DVD) as your primary source and you use it to generate reference test patterns from a pattern disc to calibrate your display(s), there is no guarantee you will end up seeing the content as it was originally intended. This is due to the possibility that you will have improper source decoding and perceivable deltaE in output levels. If this occurs, your entire video chain including the display will not be calibrated properly and the quality of the original content will be lost."
The Secrets Blu-ray Player HDMI Benchmark - Part 2

The follow-up article demonstrates how a calibration can go wrong due to incorrect color output in your source device (e.g. BD player). Very interesting read (if you're a HT geek).

The last time I went shopping for a BD player 1-2 years ago, just about all the players I tested were outputting incorrect colors in their RGB modes. Sony subsequently fixed the issue on my S390 (and their other players, I assume) in a firmware update.

Accurate RGB output was important to me at the time, because my older 2002 Sony CRT would not accept YCbCr signals on it's DVI-HDCP input. So RGB was the only way to send 1080i to the TV from a BD player.

I did not have an accurate way of testing the S390's YCbCr output at the time, but have since confirmed that it's correct using the Red Only, Green Only and Blue Only modes on a couple Samsung plasma displays.

The reasons why there are errors/inaccuracies in the color output of video players, receivers, etc. are myriad btw, and not just related to color space conversion. If you want the real answer to that question, you'd have to ask each individual mfr... though I doubt most would give a coherent answer.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 08-27-2014 at 09:22 PM.
post #16954 of 16959 Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm trying to decide if i should go for the cheapest Blu-ray available, or if i should spend a little more.
The Sony s1200 has almost everything i need, and its PQ should be identical to its older brothers.
The Sony s4200 has one more feature i want, an web browser, but i dont know if its usable (my mede8er 600x already has an web browser, i'm wondering if the Sony is better).

I could also get an yamaha bds-473 for a little more. I like the yamaha due to its better build quality.
I can get (i'm form Europe) the Sony 1200 (90$), 4200 (120$), yamaha 473 (160$).

I'm trying to decide :
1 - If i go with the Sony, does the Web browser of the 4200 worth 30$ more?
2 - If the build quality of the yamaha is worth 70$ more.

As it's a BR player, build quality isnt very important so i'm tempted by the Sony's ...

Last edited by neo_2009; Yesterday at 06:59 AM.
post #16955 of 16959 Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hows it going, looking for a blu-ray player that is quiet and fast, also I will be using a lot of burned discs and want a player that won't have an issue running them. It doesn't have to be near 300, it could be 150,200 etc. I was looking at the Sony BDP-S6200 but not sure how good it is. Thanks, appreciate it
post #16956 of 16959 Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a Panasonic VT60 that I use an old Insignia NS-WBRDVD player. The VT60 can do 3D and in general I think it's time for an upgrade. One thing I have really appreciated about the Insignia player is its ability to play a variety of media files off of USB (mkv, avi, mp4, etc.). I also originally bough it for use with a dumb tv and used the netflix streaming ability. The VT60 has it's own built in apps so I don't need a player specifically for them. I would like to keep the media playback functionality.

I've done some quick searching on this forum to find a good bang for the buck player that will handle these requirements. I've somewhat settled on the Sony BDP-S6200 as a good option. My question for you more knowledgeable people is, is this one of the better or best options on the market? Or have I missed something? Any help would be appreciated.
post #16957 of 16959 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Lots of questions today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post
I'm trying to decide if i should go for the cheapest Blu-ray available, or if i should spend a little more.
The Sony s1200 has almost everything i need, and its PQ should be identical to its older brothers.
The Sony s4200 has one more feature i want, an web browser, but i dont know if its usable (my mede8er 600x already has an web browser, i'm wondering if the Sony is better).

I could also get an yamaha bds-473 for a little more. I like the yamaha due to its better build quality.
I can get (i'm form Europe) the Sony 1200 (90$), 4200 (120$), yamaha 473 (160$).

I'm trying to decide :
1 - If i go with the Sony, does the Web browser of the 4200 worth 30$ more?
2 - If the build quality of the yamaha is worth 70$ more.

As it's a BR player, build quality isnt very important so i'm tempted by the Sony's ...
The browser on sony players is worthless. So save your money.

Build quality worth is your call. My TV and laptop are plastic, so a plastic BD player doesn't bother me.

The 1200 does not have wifi or 3D, as far as I know, at least my 1100 doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsx6 View Post
Hows it going, looking for a blu-ray player that is quiet and fast, also I will be using a lot of burned discs and want a player that won't have an issue running them. It doesn't have to be near 300, it could be 150,200 etc. I was looking at the Sony BDP-S6200 but not sure how good it is. Thanks, appreciate it
I've had the best luck playing burned discs with Panny, not Sony. Others may have different experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makav3li View Post
I have a Panasonic VT60 that I use an old Insignia NS-WBRDVD player. The VT60 can do 3D and in general I think it's time for an upgrade. One thing I have really appreciated about the Insignia player is its ability to play a variety of media files off of USB (mkv, avi, mp4, etc.). I also originally bough it for use with a dumb tv and used the netflix streaming ability. The VT60 has it's own built in apps so I don't need a player specifically for them. I would like to keep the media playback functionality.

I've done some quick searching on this forum to find a good bang for the buck player that will handle these requirements. I've somewhat settled on the Sony BDP-S6200 as a good option. My question for you more knowledgeable people is, is this one of the better or best options on the market? Or have I missed something? Any help would be appreciated.
If you are in the US, Sony won't play avi (Divx anyway), but you can spoof the file headers and make them look like Xvid. It's much easier to use DLNA than USB, in my opinion. The 6200 seems like vast overkill for your requirements (you need 4k upscaling and rare audio formats?). Cheap players give you the most bang for the buck. Expensive ones give you slightly more bang for a lot more buck.
neo_2009 likes this.
post #16958 of 16959 Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mdavej what about Samsung? Also what Panasonic do you recommend? Thanks.
post #16959 of 16959 Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
If you are in the US, Sony won't play avi (Divx anyway), but you can spoof the file headers and make them look like Xvid. It's much easier to use DLNA than USB, in my opinion. The 6200 seems like vast overkill for your requirements (you need 4k upscaling and rare audio formats?). Cheap players give you the most bang for the buck. Expensive ones give you slightly more bang for a lot more buck.
I understand where you're coming from. In your opinion, what is a better option that has support for mkv, avi, mp4, etc., DLNA, and 3D blu-ray support? I thought 4k might be useful because I will probably keep the player for a long time and 4k adoption may pick up in the next few years. Appreciate your help.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com