OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 567 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16981 of 17009 Old 09-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takayama1962 View Post
OK, I think I am in the right thread. I have only posted a few times, and I suspect I have done so in the wrong forums a couple of times. Anyway...

Yes, I think I am looking for help deciding which Blu-Ray player to buy, but before I ask that basic question, I think I need an education. I just don't know enough (really much of anything) about the capabilities of today's Blu-Ray players, and I can't seem to find the threads that would answer my questions. Can someone please point me towards discussions that answer the following questions?

1. Are most Blu-Ray players backwards compatible? By which I mean, can they play media files that are encoded in other formats besides the Blu-Ray standard? I have many files on my computer in various formats, essentially .avi and .mp4. Can a typical Blu-Ray player do this?

2. I understand that most players these days support WiFi to a LAN. Can a Blu-Ray player play back media resident on another device connected to the LAN? My WiFi is broadband, and pretty fast. Are there typically quality or bandwidth issues when playing back media in this way? What are the typical file type limitations? Does the media file need to be in a container, as if it were burned on a disk? Or can players read the supported file types as they are?

3. I also understand that most players support playback from a USB storage device. What are the limitations and/or requirements?

If anyone would like to reply directly to these questions, I would be grateful. I would be equally grateful, however, for links to discussions that address these issues. I am having trouble finding threads addressing my very basic questions.

Once I understand better the capabilities of today's Blu-Ray players, I can begin to figure out which player I should choose.

Thank you in advance!
Dave really couldn't have put it any better. I would add that Oppo is probably the best streamer of various file types. Like Dave also said, if you are a serious streamer, many of us use a dedicated device for each. Much better file support. There's a forum for that type of support.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...ent-streaming/

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16982 of 17009 Old 09-03-2014, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
...My advice: Get a disc player for discs and a streaming box like WDTV or a PC for files. You'll have the broadest file support that way, no compromises.
Ah, OK! You're going to laugh, but I never knew that these devices even existed. Now that I have read up on this technology, I can see that I don't need a Blu-Ray player...or a DVD player...at all. I just need to be able to stream.

Now the question is, which device? When I read reviews, the lion's share of the descriptions deal with how many services the box can access and how well it does so. I don't currently need access to any service. That may change over time, but right now I just want to be able to stream the media that is already on my computer.

mdavej, you recommended the WD TV by Western Digital. Is that the best choice for playing back media stored on a file server? Cnet gives the Roku 3 the highest marks, but then says it is not the best choice for precisely what I want to do. So which is the best choice?

Opinions on the WD TV? Other recommendations?

Thanks again!
post #16983 of 17009 Old 09-03-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Dave really couldn't have put it any better. I would add that Oppo is probably the best streamer of various file types. Like Dave also said, if you are a serious streamer, many of us use a dedicated device for each. Much better file support. There's a forum for that type of support.

S~
Thank you teachsac! I will read some threads in that forum. If you were in my shoes:

A. Don't need a Blu-Ray player, just a streaming box
B. Will use the device almost entirely to play media files that I have stored on my computer

Is there a device that you would recommend? I've just been to the Oppo site, and I see that they make and sell some very fine Blu-Ray players, but apparently no streaming devices. Since I have just learned that I don't need a player, it doesn't look like Oppo is the right call for me.

Last edited by Takayama1962; 09-03-2014 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.
post #16984 of 17009 Old 09-04-2014, 03:46 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo8 View Post
Ok guys, before I pull the trigger buying the Oppo, I need a bit of advice.

I'm planning to buy either the Oppo-103 or Oppo-103Darbee edition. Before I pull the trigger, is it day & night difference between them ?
Night & Day: that's almost never the case when choosing between players. Darbee is a subtle effect when used properly.

Do you calibrate your display? That will make a bigger difference than swapping players.

Quote:
I have Sony 55es projector and Onkyo TX-NR1010 AVR, if that matters.
Projector owners are among the biggest fans of Darbee.

Quote:
Also, since the oppo has dual hdmi output ,I'm thinking to configure like this, Option 1hdmi 1 output goes directly to projector and hdmi 2 output goes to AVR. Option 2 just hdmi 1 output to avr and Avr output to projector . Any advantage going with option 1 ?
Option 1 is for people who want 3D but have an AVR that won't pass HDMI 1.4. Sending audio only to the receiver solves that.

Else: option 2.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #16985 of 17009 Old 09-04-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takayama1962 View Post
Ah, OK! You're going to laugh, but I never knew that these devices even existed. Now that I have read up on this technology, I can see that I don't need a Blu-Ray player...or a DVD player...at all. I just need to be able to stream.

Now the question is, which device? When I read reviews, the lion's share of the descriptions deal with how many services the box can access and how well it does so. I don't currently need access to any service. That may change over time, but right now I just want to be able to stream the media that is already on my computer.

mdavej, you recommended the WD TV by Western Digital. Is that the best choice for playing back media stored on a file server? Cnet gives the Roku 3 the highest marks, but then says it is not the best choice for precisely what I want to do. So which is the best choice?

Opinions on the WD TV? Other recommendations?

Thanks again!
These questions belong in a different thread, perhaps here:

I'm no expert on file streamers and know the WDTV only by reputation. Roku is a different animal. No USB port and heavy reliance on a transcoding server. It's mainly for Netflix and other services. I'm not saying you can't make it work. It's just going to work differently and have different server requirements. I've heard that Plex and MB3 work very well on Roku and stream just about anything, albeit at reduced quality at times.

Good luck.

post #16986 of 17009 Old 09-04-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
These questions belong in a different thread, perhaps here:

I'm no expert on file streamers and know the WDTV only by reputation. Roku is a different animal. No USB port and heavy reliance on a transcoding server. It's mainly for Netflix and other services. I'm not saying you can't make it work. It's just going to work differently and have different server requirements. I've heard that Plex and MB3 work very well on Roku and stream just about anything, albeit at reduced quality at times.

Good luck.
Thank you for the correction. I will start a new thread in the forum you recommend I hope to get enough information to actually set up the system I want and need.

I already have gotten a lot of good info here, and I thank everyone who has replied. I apologize for putting this in the wrong thread.
post #16987 of 17009 Old 09-05-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey, just another guy lookin for some help finding the right bluray player.
Features I'm looking for: 3D support, wifi or wired is fine, 1080/24p DD+ netflix support (the feature i'm having the most trouble tracking down)
Looking to keep it under $200 CDN is possible, thanks!
post #16988 of 17009 Old 09-05-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdh86 View Post
Hey, just another guy lookin for some help finding the right bluray player.
Features I'm looking for: 3D support, wifi or wired is fine, 1080/24p DD+ netflix support (the feature i'm having the most trouble tracking down)
Looking to keep it under $200 CDN is possible, thanks!
Yep, 24p netflix is the tough part. I've read Panny has it, but you'll need to confirm. Otherwise, that's a rare feature.

post #16989 of 17009 Old 09-06-2014, 08:33 AM

Liked: 11
Originally Posted by Fuelrush
I need help finding a BD player.

I need:
Irule Control via IP (no IR)
3D
Low Cost $200ish?
I prefer Amazon unless I can get a deal elsewhere.

It will be in a theater room paired with

Denon X4000
Benq w1070

Currently using an early PS3 which has been fine but i want more seamless iRule Control via IP.

Quote:
IIRC, iRule IP control works on Sony (double check iRule site to confirm). Closest model to your price target is 6200, although 5200 also meets your requirements for much less money. My Sony plays very nicely with my Denon.
Any other thoughts? Am I pretty well covered with other features with this player? As far as how well it plays a bluray? I just don't want to later regret not throwing more money down for something later. I've got extras like netflix covered.

Last edited by Fuelrush; 09-06-2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Add text
post #16990 of 17009 Old 09-06-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelrush View Post
Any other thoughts? Am I pretty well covered with other features with this player? As far as how well it plays a bluray? I just don't want to later regret not throwing more money down for something later. I've got extras like netflix covered.
I don't understand what you're asking. Every player plays bluray pretty much the same. So that's not really ever an issue. The only differentiator in your case is whether it's works with iRule over IP, which I'm pretty certain it does. The iRule website has a list so you can confirm. If you see any other brands on the list you're curious about, post back. Are you saying you don't want another Sony because it's too cheap. If that's your concern, get the 7200. It's very expensive. But it plays bluray the same as a $40 or a $400 player. What you're buying in expensive players is features and aesthetics, not bluray performance, generally. Yes, there are tiny differences, but none worth several hundred dollars, IMO.
cajieboy likes this.

post #16991 of 17009 Old 09-06-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I don't understand what you're asking. Every player plays bluray pretty much the same. So that's not really ever an issue. The only differentiator in your case is whether it's works with iRule over IP, which I'm pretty certain it does. The iRule website has a list so you can confirm. If you see any other brands on the list you're curious about, post back. Are you saying you don't want another Sony because it's too cheap. If that's your concern, get the 7200. It's very expensive. But it plays bluray the same as a $40 or a $400 player. What you're buying in expensive players is features and aesthetics, not bluray performance, generally. Yes, there are tiny differences, but none worth several hundred dollars, IMO.
That's exactly what I wanted to know. With the projector and receiver there was always some extra feature to make it look or sound better. Good to know playback is fairly standard. Thanks!
post #16992 of 17009 Old 09-08-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Question EZ Blu-Ray player for Mom

Hi all,

Searching for recommendations for an Easy, foolproof and hopefully cheap Blu-Ray player for my mom, who is in a nursing home. She does not have the luxury of streaming video and I have ordered her a bunch of nature Blu-Ray.

Looking for something REGION-FREE (considering a lot of nature shows are UK), that just works on anything you throw at it, with minimally confusing controls. As long as it outputs HDMI, the fewer features the better. The best would be something that simply plays as soon as you insert the disk.

I have not kept up with BluRay technology since I have long ago gone to the dark side (streaming video)

Thanks for any model recommendations. I'll probably purchase via Amazon if that matters.
post #16993 of 17009 Old 09-08-2014, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Hey, I'm probably going to be buying a new AVR, the Denon X4100W soonish. I have a standard Plasma 50" TV and I'm not going to be buying 4k or anything. I'm looking for a blu ray player that has two HDMI outputs, one for the receiver and one for the TV. I don't want to ever have issues with HDMI pass through no matter how new my tech is.

I know I can get a Sony BDP under $100. Is there a blu ray player out there that has that extra output and doesn't sacrifice quality at all?
post #16994 of 17009 Old 09-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Most are dropping dual outputs. I have had zero issues running one HDMI cable from my Sony through my Denon receiver and out to my TV. Never had an issue with my Panasonics, either. Never had a problem running through a Marantz, either. The only receiver I've ever had HDMI handshake issues with is Pioneer.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #16995 of 17009 Old 09-12-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakflag View Post
Hi all,

Searching for recommendations for an Easy, foolproof and hopefully cheap Blu-Ray player for my mom, who is in a nursing home. She does not have the luxury of streaming video and I have ordered her a bunch of nature Blu-Ray.

Looking for something REGION-FREE (considering a lot of nature shows are UK), that just works on anything you throw at it, with minimally confusing controls. As long as it outputs HDMI, the fewer features the better. The best would be something that simply plays as soon as you insert the disk.

I have not kept up with BluRay technology since I have long ago gone to the dark side (streaming video)

Thanks for any model recommendations. I'll probably purchase via Amazon if that matters.
Region free is usually pretty expensive unless you're willing to do some hardware or software hacks yourself. Odds are those programs themselves aren't region locked anyway. I'd try one on your own player to confirm. If they work, then you don't need a region free player.

Check out this thread for more:

Region Free Blu Ray player discussion

post #16996 of 17009 Old 09-16-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Options to replace Oppo BDP-83

I'm having some financial difficulties so I was thinking of selling or trading/plus cash for my Oppo. I have a media player already so I don't care about that but would like some decent streaming options as I suprisingly don't have anything along those lines. Hopefully something that would do Netflix at 720p. If it makes a difference I'm in Canada.

What players should I be looking at? I don't care too much about SD upconversion as I don't really play DVD's anymore and I only have 1 SACD so that's not entirely necessary although nice to have. Anyone know what a used Oppo 83 in great shape would go for?

Thanks for your help.

Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot
post #16997 of 17009 Old 09-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 868
^ Your best bet would be to post this in the Help Me Choose a Blu-ray Player sticky thread here, as that's where folks hang out who like to opine on such stuff.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #16998 of 17009 Old 09-16-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
I'm having some financial difficulties so I was thinking of selling or trading/plus cash for my Oppo. I have a media player already so I don't care about that but would like some decent streaming options as I suprisingly don't have anything along those lines. Hopefully something that would do Netflix at 720p. If it makes a difference I'm in Canada.

What players should I be looking at? I don't care too much about SD upconversion as I don't really play DVD's anymore and I only have 1 SACD so that's not entirely necessary although nice to have. Anyone know what a used Oppo 83 in great shape would go for?

Thanks for your help.
In the US, a used Sony 1100 is around $25 and would do everything you asked and more. If you need wifi, then another $10 will get you a 3100.

On ebay, Oppo 83's are going for $200-$400, or closer to $500 if region-free.

post #16999 of 17009 Old 09-16-2014, 08:13 PM

Thanks for moving the thread to the proper place.

I posted the advice as I know I read there are cheaper models now that have about as good as a picture as the Oppo but there were specific ones to look for. Not everything under $100 is created equal. I forgot to mention that I would love to be able to make it region free. That's pretty high on my list so that should be taken into account.

mdavej, thanks for the suggestion. Is there any reason you chose those particular Sony's? Is there anything I should be looking for in a BR player and things to watch out for?

Thanks all.

Edit: WiFi isn't a necessity either as I have a data run. It will also be less than $100 as the point is to sell my Oppo 83, buy a new player and have some money left. I'd also prefer a player that isn't slow when accessing apps etc. That can be frustrating in day to day usage. One can hope anyways

Just to recap on what I'd like in order of importance for the most part...

Netflix streaming in HD (other useful streaming services would be nice as well but not sure how much use they would get)
Fast navigation and loading
Colour accuracy would be nice if that doesn't take the price to Oppo levels
SACD/DVD-A
Region free bluray (non hardware if possible)
3D would be nice for future use as I plan on eventually getting a W1070
DVD's will be played but quality conversion is not a huge factor if that gets in the way of any of the above
I don't need WiFi as I will be connecting it directly
Bang for the buck is king
I really don't mind if it's an older model. Hopefully I'll be able to find it on Ebay or Kijiji (think Craigslist)

Last edited by Nodscene; 09-16-2014 at 09:21 PM.
post #17000 of 17009 Old 09-17-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for moving the thread to the proper place.

I posted the advice as I know I read there are cheaper models now that have about as good as a picture as the Oppo but there were specific ones to look for. Not everything under $100 is created equal. I forgot to mention that I would love to be able to make it region free. That's pretty high on my list so that should be taken into account.

mdavej, thanks for the suggestion. Is there any reason you chose those particular Sony's? Is there anything I should be looking for in a BR player and things to watch out for?

Thanks all.

Edit: WiFi isn't a necessity either as I have a data run. It will also be less than $100 as the point is to sell my Oppo 83, buy a new player and have some money left. I'd also prefer a player that isn't slow when accessing apps etc. That can be frustrating in day to day usage. One can hope anyways

Just to recap on what I'd like in order of importance for the most part...

Netflix streaming in HD (other useful streaming services would be nice as well but not sure how much use they would get)
Fast navigation and loading
Colour accuracy would be nice if that doesn't take the price to Oppo levels
SACD/DVD-A
Region free bluray (non hardware if possible)
3D would be nice for future use as I plan on eventually getting a W1070
DVD's will be played but quality conversion is not a huge factor if that gets in the way of any of the above
I don't need WiFi as I will be connecting it directly
Bang for the buck is king
I really don't mind if it's an older model. Hopefully I'll be able to find it on Ebay or Kijiji (think Craigslist)
In that case (region-free, SACD/DVD-A), may as well keep your Oppo and add a Roku for streaming. They start at $40 US. There is no longer any such thing as a cheap region free player.

I picked the above Sonys for price and features. Newer ones are available, but more expensive. None are region free though.

You should avoid most other cheap players as their streaming apps and reliability are terrible.

post #17001 of 17009 Old 09-17-2014, 08:10 AM

What about the Sony S5100? That seems to check all the boxes and the price isn't too horrible at $189US fully region free plus has streaming, SACD and 3D. As long as I can get a decent price on my Oppo that seems to be a good way to go. Is there anything I'm missing with that option?

Thanks mdavej.

Quote:
In that case (region-free, SACD/DVD-A), may as well keep your Oppo and add a Roku for streaming. They start at $40 US. There is no longer any such thing as a cheap region free player.

I picked the above Sonys for price and features. Newer ones are available, but more expensive. None are region free though.

You should avoid most other cheap players as their streaming apps and reliability are terrible.

post #17002 of 17009 Old 09-17-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What about the Sony S5100? That seems to check all the boxes and the price isn't too horrible at $189US fully region free plus has streaming, SACD and 3D. As long as I can get a decent price on my Oppo that seems to be a good way to go. Is there anything I'm missing with that option?

Thanks mdavej.
That would be an excellent choice. I didn't mention it because it failed to meet several of your other criteria:
- Under $100
- Has hardware mod done for region free
- DVD-A

I have a 5100 (and 3100 and 1100) myself and think it's an excellent player. Mine has not been hardware modded for region free, so I can't say how well that works or doesn't work.

Last edited by mdavej; 09-17-2014 at 09:06 AM.
post #17003 of 17009 Old 09-17-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:

Thanks mdavej.
As sold by Sony, the 5100 is *not* region free. You'll have to indicate where one can purchase a modified 5100.

Selden
post #17004 of 17009 Old 09-17-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Thanks mdavej.
I purchased the Sony S5100 in Jan.2014, And so far it's been a champ. I paid a lot less than retail at Big River. If asked, I'd recommend it to a friend looking for a good inexpensive BD Player.
post #17005 of 17009 Old 09-17-2014, 11:06 AM

True, it doesn't quite cover everything but pretty close. Price is the big one unfortunately. I have no clue if it's a hardware or software mod to make it region free but the sell them at 220 Electronics and Bombay Electronics for $50 extra for the mod which is a fair price. If I can't sell my Oppo for as much as I want then I will definitely have to go with something cheaper.

Quote:
That would be an excellent choice. I didn't mention it because it failed to meet several of your other criteria:
- Under $100
- Has hardware mod done for region free
- DVD-A

I have a 5100 (and 3100 and 1100) myself and think it's an excellent player. Mine has not been hardware modded for region free, so I can't say how well that works or doesn't work.

post #17006 of 17009 Old 09-17-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
True, it doesn't quite cover everything but pretty close. Price is the big one unfortunately. I have no clue if it's a hardware or software mod to make it region free but the sell them at 220 Electronics and Bombay Electronics for $50 extra for the mod which is a fair price. If I can't sell my Oppo for as much as I want then I will definitely have to go with something cheaper.
There is no software mod for region free BD on Sony. It's a hardware mod. As long as they have a good rep, good return policy and offer a warranty (they voided Sony's warranty when they opened the case), I say go for it.

post #17007 of 17009 Old 09-17-2014, 11:48 AM

Good advice, I didn't even think of that when I was looking. I just checked and Bombay says it has full warranty. Now to check for reputation

Full Warranty Support
We honor the full manufacturer's warranty support for all region free blu-ray players for 90-day labor & 1-year parts.

Quote:
There is no software mod for region free BD on Sony. It's a hardware mod. As long as they have a good rep, good return policy and offer a warranty (they voided Sony's warranty when they opened the case), I say go for it.

post #17008 of 17009 Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Best blu ray player that's NOT an Oppo?

My main concern is Blu Ray.
Best Image. No sync issues. Compatible with all discs, etc.

I do not need any media streaming or advanced audio features

I just don't want to go super cheap.

Samsung, panasonic or sony.

No Pioneer- I have had bad luck and I'm replacing the 62FD which has major sync issues and no it has trouble loading discs.
From what i understand Pioneer doesn't build them- they buy them from sharp and re-badge. That stinks.
post #17009 of 17009 Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm streaming more and more (when I can actually find the titles I want on Amazon prime or Netflix) but I still play a lot of Bluray discs too. I used to be a big fan of Panasonic (my old BD85 is great) but the 2 pannies Ive bought since are crap. The BD87 was complete toy junk (sitting unplugged in a pile here) and my BDT500 is now crapping out after only 13 months and very little use. Maybe I jut got lemons but it has turned me off to the brand. Guess I should try a Sony since my TV is a Sony HX929. Any feedback on the new Sony models (3200 vs 5200)?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com