OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 568 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17011 of 17028 Old 09-26-2014, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
which players can play DVDs at 24hz?

I know the Oppo players can do this. Any cheaper options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17012 of 17028 Old 09-26-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 84
It's not 24hz its 24 frames per second (fps). You should post your question in the Help Me Find a Player thread.

post #17013 of 17028 Old 09-26-2014, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I don't know of any name brands that don't.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #17014 of 17028 Old 09-26-2014, 10:22 PM

Liked: 10
Any one know how to fix the "HDMI ERROR - HDMI Compromised" thing on this Panasonic TC-P65S2? Thanks!

dja2k
post #17015 of 17028 Old 09-27-2014, 12:24 PM

Liked: 0
Hi all

New member, but have been an avid reader for years.

Recently invested in a Panasonic 50" GT60 and am looking for Blu-ray player to do it some justice (I haven't had a dedicated Blu-ray player for the longest time). I do already own some region A locked movies so getting something thats Multi-region is essential. Fellow forum members TPS seem to offer a good selection of hardware modded players and I've narrowed it down to:

- Sony BDP-S7200 - £299
- Panasonic DMP-BDT460 - £299
- Panasonic DMP-BDT700 - £539

Another candidate:
- Oppo BDP 93 - £450

Now I've read mixed opinions on here as to whether all Blu-ray players output the same quality for Blu-ray movies over HDMI, and judging by the HDMI benchmarking done by 'Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity' it doesn't seem like all do, with some not outputting accurate colours/adding sharpening which can't be bypassed.

Now, all I simply want is a player that will output an accurate image that is faithful to the material on the Blu-ray disc. Good build quality, fast loads times, and some future proofing is preferable. Other than that, don't really need any other bells and whistles in terms of DVD upscaling, dedicated DAC etc.

The Panny BDT700 looks incredibly solid and beautiful, but at that price point, like many have pointed out, you could potentially invest in an Oppo (In my case it would have to be the older BDP 93 which I'm not sure is dated, I definitely don't want to spend £600 on a 103)

This is also where I start to wonder whether there is much difference, if any, in terms of Blu-ray picture quality between a £300 vs £500 player.

Hopefully someone can help me
post #17016 of 17028 Old 09-29-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Someone reading this might realize I've been reading and sometimes commenting in the Blu-ray forum threads because I have been contemplating replacing my PS3 Slim with a standalone Blu-ray player. I've had the Sony S5100 before, which I returned due to Netflix issues and the player's inability to stay connected to the Sony network.

Well, I'm torn again. I've been looking closely at the LG BDP 340 and 540, the Panasonic BD91, or last year's Panasonic 230, and the Sony S1200 or 3200. I also was considering the Samsung H5900, but I hear the drive is noisy. However, I like the UI of the Samsungs. What are the opinions on the LGs, Panasonics, and Sonys? My research seems to say:
  • LG - Netflix issues on the 340. 530 rated best of 2014 by Wirecutter.com and Robert Heron.
  • Panasonic - Few reviews of this one. Last year's were noisy. Good DVD upscaling. Poor UI.
  • Sony - Softer picture, but better motion. Still requires connecting to Sony's network, which is a nuisance. XMB is long in the tooth, but IMO better than many other UIs.
post #17017 of 17028 Old 09-29-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Someone reading this might realize I've been reading and sometimes commenting in the Blu-ray forum threads because I have been contemplating replacing my PS3 Slim with a standalone Blu-ray player. I've had the Sony S5100 before, which I returned due to Netflix issues and the player's inability to stay connected to the Sony network.

Well, I'm torn again. I've been looking closely at the LG BDP 340 and 540, the Panasonic BD91, or last year's Panasonic 230, and the Sony S1200 or 3200. I also was considering the Samsung H5900, but I hear the drive is noisy. However, I like the UI of the Samsungs. What are the opinions on the LGs, Panasonics, and Sonys? My research seems to say:
  • LG - Netflix issues on the 340. 530 rated best of 2014 by Wirecutter.com and Robert Heron.
  • Panasonic - Few reviews of this one. Last year's were noisy. Good DVD upscaling. Poor UI.
  • Sony - Softer picture, but better motion. Still requires connecting to Sony's network, which is a nuisance. XMB is long in the tooth, but IMO better than many other UIs.
post #17018 of 17028 Old Today, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Are there any currently available players other than Oppo that can internally decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HDMA 7.1 and send it as PCM over HDMI? It seems most available players will decode one format in 7.1, but will send the other only as downmixed 2Ch.

Ideas?

JSS
post #17019 of 17028 Old Today, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Panasonic BDT460 does.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #17020 of 17028 Old Today, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post

I have not used any of the recent LG players. My experience with older models was that they had horrible problems with software quality control (frequent updates that fix one thing and break another, major bugs that went unfixed for long periods of time). Additionally, they had a crappy warranty (90 days for labor) and a very high rate of drive failures being reported.

I thought I loved my first LG player, even bought a second one, but after owning two for awhile I have very different feelings.

I would suggest going with a Sony or Panasonic.
post #17021 of 17028 Old Today, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Transformers Age Of Extinction Problem

Okay, last night I tried to watch the new transformers 3d blu Ray but couldn't because it would not play properly.

I have a ps4 and an LG bd645 for 3d blu Ray players with a pioneer vsx 821(I think?). I usually use the lg since it has a remote and usually plays blu Rays better than the ps4. When I started transformers it played the menu fine. The audio was fine and so was the 3d. I made sure that Dolby atmos was selected for audio. I don't have atmos setup but that option is also the same option as Dolby truehd which it will default to if you don't have an atmos receiver. So I start the film but as soon as I get to the title sequence the audio is cutting out every few seconds, and when it cuts out I can see on the receiver that it will switch to Dolby pro logic 2 as it cuts out for a split second and then back to truehd.

So I can't watch it like that so I figure I will use my ps4. Nope, with ps4 there is a bad delay of the video, making it not match up with the audio. I tried turning 24hz playback off in ps4 menu which is supposed to help but it only helped slightly, it was still off.

So what gives? Could updating the firmware on the lg player fix the audio cutting out? Could the fact that this is the first blu Ray with Dolby atmos be the cause of the audio cutting out? Anybody have a ps4 and able to fix their sync issue?

Finally , I'm considering just buying a good standalone 3d blu Ray player since aparantly the lg one I have and the ps4 are not that great. Are there any good ones for around $100 that would be better than my cheap lg player? For example I could buy the sony bdp s5200 at best buy for about $100 on my way home tonight for about $100. I just want one with a fast interface that doesn't lag and has all options for video and audio and 3d. Don't care about wifi or smart functionality.

Last edited by Trogdor796; Today at 04:23 PM.
post #17022 of 17028 Old Today, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post

Since you had issues with the 5100, you'll likely have issues with the 5200. Very little has changed. The Sony network connection doesn't bother me since I never use any services that require it. I only use Netflix which has worked flawlessly on my 1100, 3100 and 5100.

FWIW, my Panasonic players are still going strong, although they're lacking in the streaming department. Never noticed any noise issues.

I think the best thing you could do is stop relying on a disc player for your streaming services. The player you have is fine for discs, and a Roku will perform far better and have far more streaming content. That's essentially what I've done, use my BD player solely for discs and Roku for streaming. I really had no choice since none of my disc players can do all the streaming I regularly use anyway, like HBO GO, Showtime Anytime, Plex and Media Browser. If switching inputs is an issue, any cheap universal remote will solve that problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #17023 of 17028 Old Today, 05:14 PM

I don't have a 5100...? I have a ps4 and an lg be 645

Edit - im an idiot, I see the quote now

Last edited by Trogdor796; Today at 05:19 PM.
post #17024 of 17028 Old Today, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Trogdor,

Sony stand-alone players don't seem to be having any problems with TF4. It played fine in my S590, anyhow, and my brand-new Marantz S7009 AVR had no trouble decoding the bitstreamed Atmos souindtrack.

Selden
post #17025 of 17028 Old Today, 05:49 PM

Is the 5200 worse than the 590 in any way? Any other player you'd recommend at the $100 price point?

Last edited by Trogdor796; Today at 05:49 PM.
post #17026 of 17028 Old Today, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Panasonic BDT460 does.

S~
Thanks!

JSS
post #17027 of 17028 Old Today, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor796 View Post
Is the 5200 worse than the 590 in any way? Any other player you'd recommend at the $100 price point?
It's worse in many ways, but better in some. With the 5200 you lose the front display, front USB port, optical output, analog outs and probably a few other things I'm forgetting. But you gain the latest Netflix interface and the highest super HD bitrate as well as an overall speedier machine. I can't think of a compelling reason to buy a 590 today unless you need analog outputs or optical. If I had $100 budget, I'd go for a used/refurb 6200, the true successor to the 590. My price-point is around $40, so I have a house full of used/refurb 1100, 3100 and 5100 models depending on the location and capabilities of the TV it's connected to.

post #17028 of 17028 Old Today, 07:07 PM

Well, I just bought the 6200 new. I have 15 days to return it but as long as it plays tf4 and all my blu-Rays fine I'll just keep. Cost $149 plus tax but I figure I get a dual core processor and 4k upscalling, and I hate menus loading slow or lagging behind so it's worth the extra in the end.

So long ps4, thus wouldn't be necessary if it was a good blu Ray player like the PS3 :disappointed_relieved:
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page