OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 569 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17041 of 17065 Old 10-08-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD2 View Post
Looking at getting a Samsung pn64f8500 plasma set & figured it's time to ditch my old budget Panny DVD player (non-BR).

Would you recommend the same player ?? I don't see the need for a lot of "smart features" since all that is built into the TV. Basically I watch movies, don't even own any BR discs @ the moment (but will after these upgrades) and doubt I will use the 3D at all.

I plan to keep my receiver:
JVC RX-D702B Receiver http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...athId=5&page=5
Assuming the TV can send coax or fiber (or ARC) back to your receiver so you get 5.1 sound from streams, then I'd go with mdavej and save twenty bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17042 of 17065 Old 10-11-2014, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just bought an OLED TV (LG 55ea9800 to be exact), stretching my original budget. I need a blu-ray player.

Now, in another location I have an Pioneer Elite Plasma (pretty old, the last one before they went 1080p, but we still like it) coupled with an Oppo BDP-83 and a Roku for streaming. Since my new TV has Netflix and Amazon, etc., perhaps I should pair the old Oppo (which doesn't steam) with the new TV that does stream and get a new cheaper BluRay for my old Elite Plasma?

If I do decide to get a new player for my new TV instead, is there any reason to stay within the same brand? In other words, should I get an LG player for my new LG TV? Anything in terms of convenience with the remotes, etc? I haven't heard good things about LG players in general.

Seems the newer Oppos can be used to clean up DirecTV or cable signals before going to the TV. Is that something I should interested in, especially since my old Elite Plasma probably isn't the best at signal processing (although it was good in its day)?

Finally, my TV apparently isn't the best at smooth motion. Would the new Oppo 103D clean all that up for me, and if so for just BluRay or for all signals (cable TV via Cox in SoCal)?

Advice on configuration options (where the new player goes), and then which new player would be most appreciated.

Last edited by smorgasbord; 10-11-2014 at 10:45 AM.
post #17043 of 17065 Old 10-11-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorgasbord View Post
I just bought an OLED TV (LG 55ea9800 to be exact), stretching my original budget. I need a blu-ray player.

Now, in another location I have an Pioneer Elite Plasma (pretty old, the last one before they went 1080p, but we still like it) coupled with an Oppo BDP-83 and a Roku for streaming. Since my new TV has Netflix and Amazon, etc., perhaps I should pair the old Oppo (which doesn't steam) with the new TV that does stream and get a new cheaper BluRay for my old Elite Plasma?

If I do decide to get a new player for my new TV instead, is there any reason to stay within the same brand? In other words, should I get an LG player for my new LG TV? Anything in terms of convenience with the remotes, etc? I haven't heard good things about LG players in general.

Seems the newer Oppos can be used to clean up DirecTV or cable signals before going to the TV. Is that something I should interested in, especially since my old Elite Plasma probably isn't the best at signal processing (although it was good in its day)?

Finally, my TV apparently isn't the best at smooth motion. Would the new Oppo 103D clean all that up for me, and if so for just BluRay or for all signals (cable TV via Cox in SoCal)?

Advice on configuration options (where the new player goes), and then which new player would be most appreciated.
I have both the 83 and the 103D.

As you know, the 83 is a great bluray player and at least as good as the 103D in upscaling. Taking it and putting it with your new LG would give you great disc play. You'd output 1080p and let the OLED upscale to 4K.

That means that you'd be relying on the TV to do the upscaling and image processing. Any processing that is specific to the screen itself (gamma correction, SOE, etc.) no bluray would help with, for that you would be best off getting a calibration disk or preferably getting a pro to do it (worth it for that screen).

So BDP-83 to your new screen would be a good option, a midrange player would be fine for the other screen.

As to the 103D, it does a very good job as an image processor for me in cleaning up input signals. I plug my comcast cable box into it, it takes that and upscales it to 1080p, passing it to my 1080p screen. In your setup, you could feed it your signal(s) and have it upscale the signal directly to 4k, since unlike the 83, it has that capability.

Whether that's better than the LG doing it depends on how good the LG is, the Oppo is said (I don't have a 4K screen) to be very good at this. Since you can process all signals this way, even the ones from a network or a hard drive, if you have pictures or movies on a NAS or hard drive, they can also be processed this way. Same with Netflix.

I'm not sure if the 103D deals well with Netflix 4K source - that you may need to feed directly to the TV.
post #17044 of 17065 Old 10-11-2014, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I have both the 83 and the 103D.

So BDP-83 to your new screen would be a good option, a midrange player would be fine for the other screen.

I'm not sure if the 103D deals well with Netflix 4K source - that you may need to feed directly to the TV.
Thanks for the info. My OLED TV is just 1080p, though. So will a 103 upscale to 1080p better than the LG TV?
post #17045 of 17065 Old 10-12-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Why do Oppo's players cost so much more than other Blu-ray players?

Oppo's Blu-ray players seem expensive compared to other Blu-ray players--on Oppo's store, the BDP-103 costs $499, the BDP-103D costs $599, the BDP-105 costs $1,199, and the BDP-105D costs $1,299, whereas LG's BP540 costs $90 at BestBuy.com, down from its MSRP of (I think) $130. Why do Oppo's players cost so much more than other Blu-ray players?
post #17046 of 17065 Old 10-12-2014, 12:53 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
Oppo's Blu-ray players seem expensive compared to other Blu-ray players--on Oppo's store, the BDP-103 costs $499, the BDP-103D costs $599, the BDP-105 costs $1,199, and the BDP-105D costs $1,299, whereas LG's BP540 costs $90 at BestBuy.com, down from its MSRP of (I think) $130. Why do Oppo's players cost so much more than other Blu-ray players?
You'd need to compare the features and build quality. They still have analog audio for people who need it, and have also added digital inputs so you can route other devices through the player to take advantage of its processing.

The 105 models are audiophile upgrades with better DACs for analog output. The "D" players have Darbee processing which has made quite a splash recently.

Two year warranty and well regarded customer support.

-Bill
post #17047 of 17065 Old 10-12-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The 105 and 105D have outstanding DACs (important only if you use analog audio outs). They are a bargain, with analog AQ as good as or better than dedicated CD players costing much more than the 105. Also, you can input other equipment (such as your STB) into the 105/105D and 103/103D for better upscaling to 1080p than your STB would do.
post #17048 of 17065 Old 10-12-2014, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm behind the times and I'm looking for my first blu-ray player. In terms of cost, I'm looking for a player under $200. (Really under $150, but I could stretch a bit if it helps achieve the feature set I'm looking for.) As to features, my priorities are reliability; upscaling quality of standard DVD; and of course good picture quality on blu-ray. Prefer a player with 2 channel analog audio output for use with a traditional stereo amp for music programs. But it seems like traditional analog connections are being dropped from most AV devices these days.

Any suggestions?
post #17049 of 17065 Old 10-13-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
I'm behind the times and I'm looking for my first blu-ray player. In terms of cost, I'm looking for a player under $200. (Really under $150, but I could stretch a bit if it helps achieve the feature set I'm looking for.) As to features, my priorities are reliability; upscaling quality of standard DVD; and of course good picture quality on blu-ray. Prefer a player with 2 channel analog audio output for use with a traditional stereo amp for music programs. But it seems like traditional analog connections are being dropped from most AV devices these days.

Any suggestions?
Looks like both Sony and Panasonic, which would be the best choices at that price have done away with any analog (even two channel) support in their current players; probably to save on the D/A conversion hardware / software.

To get good 2 channel output, you'd have to go back in time (Sony 590, 790) and possibly buy used, or go up in price. The Panasonic 500 has two channel, but is 400 and if you're in that neighborhood and want excellent two channel, you may as well spend an extra 100 and get an Oppo.

Does your receiver accept coax digital? it appears fiber is also being engineered out.

I actually think that a Sony 790 used at about 180 may be a good deal.
post #17050 of 17065 Old 10-13-2014, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Need help choosing a BR player since my PS3 just gave out on me. I'm working with an Epson 6030 projector, 110" screen, DirecTV, and Bose V20 surround sound (which doesn't support 3D). I'm not much of a gamer so the PS3 doesn't offer any additional benefit to me as far as that is concerned. I do have an external hard drive with a lot of videos on it that I would like to incorporate into the new setup as well. I was thinking my options were to get a replacement PS3 or regular BR player coupled with a WD TV (or something similar). I would like to stay in the $200-300 range but would go as high as $500 if I found the perfect setup. Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #17051 of 17065 Old 10-15-2014, 02:50 AM

Talking Choosing a Blu-Ray Player which outputs 24p MKV

Hi,

My Setup is This:

TV: Samsung H6350 (Supports 24p Native playback as the panel refresh rate is 120hz)
AVR: Onkyo HTR-390

Im looking forward to buy a basic Blu-Ray Player which also accepts source input from USB devices/External HDD's. The Player should be able to output to the TV @ 24P not only when Blu-Ray is the source but also with Blu-Ray Rips(MKV's and M2TS).

I dont want 3D or Wifi or any smart features and also I dont use the Player to get connected to the Internet.

Which player should I buy???
post #17052 of 17065 Old 10-15-2014, 03:46 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by syednizamudeen View Post
Which player should I buy???
Welcome to AVSForum.

What is your price range?

Are you in the US?

-Bill
post #17053 of 17065 Old 10-15-2014, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Welcome to AVSForum.

What is your price range?

Are you in the US?

-Bill
No, I'm not in United States. I dont stream or use any Internet features. I don't watch 3D also. I just need a solid drive that can play Blu-Ray Discs and also the Blu-Ray Rips (MKV,M2TS Ext HDD Connected via USB) at 24p without any judder. A 100 USD or less than 100 USD is my budget.

Many Thanks for your help.
post #17054 of 17065 Old 10-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Here's my "I need a player" post, too!

I want a unit that supports all or most of the features of the blu-ray spec, and has excellent 3d support. I do not care about having any analog outputs, internet features, or video processing.... I just want to get the most out of whatever BR disc I put in.

Region-free capabilities, even if I have to do some hacking, would be a big bonus, but are not required.

The output device is a Sony HW40ES projector and a 135" screen in a light-controlled room. My AVR is an Onkyo 818 with HDMI 1.4 and 3D support.

I am in the US and I am hoping to spend less than $200.

Thanks for any tips. Save me from just buying something at Costco.
post #17055 of 17065 Old 10-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Here's my "I need a player" post, too!

I want a unit that supports all or most of the features of the blu-ray spec, and has excellent 3d support. I do not care about having any analog outputs, internet features, or video processing.... I just want to get the most out of whatever BR disc I put in.

Region-free capabilities, even if I have to do some hacking, would be a big bonus, but are not required.

The output device is a Sony HW40ES projector and a 135" screen in a light-controlled room. My AVR is an Onkyo 818 with HDMI 1.4 and 3D support.

I am in the US and I am hoping to spend less than $200.

Thanks for any tips. Save me from just buying something at Costco.
post #17056 of 17065 Old 10-17-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Cheap DVD Transfer BluRay Player - 480i over HDMI

I have a large dvd collection, an Onkyo tx-nr3010 with HQV Vida and Marvel QDeo upscaling, and my current disc players are an old Panasonic dvd-s77 (for dvds, upscaled to 1080i), a Toshiba HD-A2 (for my handful of hd-dvds), and a PS3 for bluray discs. I just got a 75" Samsung f8000 and want to ensure my dvds look their best.

Without double dipping by buying an Oppo with the same upscaling chip as the Onkyo, any problems seen by buying a super cheap bluray player like a Philips 2205 that can do 480i over HDMI and using it only for dvds? It would basically be nothing more than a digital transport, keeping the data from the disc pristine and allowing the Onkyo to do the upscaling.

This makes sense to me since dvds are 480i - am I missing anything?
post #17057 of 17065 Old 10-17-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 429
The Sony BDP-S5200 3D-capable player would seem to be appropriate, although it's not region-free. It can be had for about $100. The other features that you list are included in all modern players. You don't have a choice of reducing the price by eliminating them.

Selden
post #17058 of 17065 Old 10-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, I looked up that Sony and it was well reviewed. I didn't expect to not have stuff like streaming built in, yeah, it's in everything... I was more trying to say that the nature of those features are not important to me.

I remember back when BR first came on the scene, there was a weird issue where some players supported all the BR features, and some had stripped down feature lists... so you could easily get into a situation where you might not be able to use all the fancy menus or whatever on a disc. Way back then the PS3 was one of the best BR players because it supported everything and was getting frequent firmware updates.

Is that still a problem, or are all players about the same now other than a couple of big checkboxes like 3D?
post #17059 of 17065 Old 10-17-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Sony, Panasonic and Oppo are the favorites here. BD players from other companies are reported to be less reliable and/or have much more restricted feature sets. Sony's network features tend to get better reviews than Panasonic's. Oppos are much more rugged, have quite a few additional features and excellent customer support, but are much more expensive ($500-$1600).

Selden
post #17060 of 17065 Old Today, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm in need of a blu-ray player recommendation. I am awaiting arrival of my Vizio M552i-B2. So here are my requirements and use:

Price of under $100

I will mostly be watching DVD's and blu-rays on it.

Although I realize most will have smart functions I will more than likely just use the TV's smart functions, so they aren't a concern for me.

My biggest concern will be in the sound area. I'm using an old SONY DA55ES AVR, so was planing to connect the sound through the optical output from the TV. I'm not sure if I'd need a BR player with an optical out (or coax out as the AVR has one coax input) to send to the receiver or if I could just have the 5.1 sound sent from blu-ray to tv via HDMI and then to the receiver via optical? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by NINaudio; Today at 10:16 AM. Reason: added price range
post #17061 of 17065 Old Today, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
I have a large dvd collection, an Onkyo tx-nr3010 with HQV Vida and Marvel QDeo upscaling, and my current disc players are an old Panasonic dvd-s77 (for dvds, upscaled to 1080i), a Toshiba HD-A2 (for my handful of hd-dvds), and a PS3 for bluray discs. I just got a 75" Samsung f8000 and want to ensure my dvds look their best.

Without double dipping by buying an Oppo with the same upscaling chip as the Onkyo, any problems seen by buying a super cheap bluray player like a Philips 2205 that can do 480i over HDMI and using it only for dvds? It would basically be nothing more than a digital transport, keeping the data from the disc pristine and allowing the Onkyo to do the upscaling.

This makes sense to me since dvds are 480i - am I missing anything?
The 10X Oppos don't use the QDeo for upscaling. The 103 and 105 use it for noise reduction, the upscaling is handled by the Mediatek chip and their own firmware efforts. The upscaling is excellent, but not handled by the QDeo.

The Toshiba HD-DVD is a great upscaler or can provide a very good 480i signal if you want the AVR to upscale for you. You might find that the TV itself does the best job of upscaling if you're not going for an Oppo or something like it.

For blurays, the PS3 should do you well.

So if you're looking to simplify, keep the PS3 for blurays, the HD-DVD for DVDs and HD-DVD's, then let either the HD-DVD or the new TV do the upscaling.

I have an AVR (Pioneer Elite VSX-33) with a QDeo chip, and both of my players (Toshiba HD-A35 and Oppo BDP-103D) beat the pants off it when upscaling DVD's.
post #17062 of 17065 Old Today, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINaudio View Post
I'm in need of a blu-ray player recommendation. I am awaiting arrival of my Vizio M552i-B2. So here are my requirements and use:

Price of under $100

I will mostly be watching DVD's and blu-rays on it.

Although I realize most will have smart functions I will more than likely just use the TV's smart functions, so they aren't a concern for me.

My biggest concern will be in the sound area. I'm using an old SONY DA55ES AVR, so was planing to connect the sound through the optical output from the TV. I'm not sure if I'd need a BR player with an optical out (or coax out as the AVR has one coax input) to send to the receiver or if I could just have the 5.1 sound sent from blu-ray to tv via HDMI and then to the receiver via optical? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Best to use optical/coax from the player. Your TV may pass Dolby 5.1, but probably not DTS 5.1. So many titles will be limited to 2 channel if you pass through the TV. Optical/coax direct from the player gets you 5.1 in all cases.

Cheapest decent player I know of is the Sony 1200 (no wi-fi, no 3D). If you need those features, step up to the 3200 for wi-fi or the 5200 for 3D. To save a little more, go for a used/refurb model or even last year's 1100/3100/5100.
post #17063 of 17065 Old Today, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
The 10X Oppos don't use the QDeo for upscaling. The 103 and 105 use it for noise reduction, the upscaling is handled by the Mediatek chip and their own firmware efforts. The upscaling is excellent, but not handled by the QDeo.

The Toshiba HD-DVD is a great upscaler or can provide a very good 480i signal if you want the AVR to upscale for you. You might find that the TV itself does the best job of upscaling if you're not going for an Oppo or something like it.

For blurays, the PS3 should do you well.

So if you're looking to simplify, keep the PS3 for blurays, the HD-DVD for DVDs and HD-DVD's, then let either the HD-DVD or the new TV do the upscaling.

I have an AVR (Pioneer Elite VSX-33) with a QDeo chip, and both of my players (Toshiba HD-A35 and Oppo BDP-103D) beat the pants off it when upscaling DVD's.
I thought the Oppo only uses the Mediatek chip for analog component output? I did more research and it seems the Marvel Qdeo is supposed to be one of the best chips out there, and the HQV Vida isn't shabby either. That combo would be more potent than what is in my Samsung, and definitely better than what is in the HD-A2. The HD-A2 is slow as molasses to load as well.

Since I didn't get much feedback, I went ahead and got the Philips - it will be here in a few days and I can comment on the job of the Onkyo with a pristine 480i signal from dvds.
post #17064 of 17065 Old Today, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Best to use optical/coax from the player. Your TV may pass Dolby 5.1, but probably not DTS 5.1. So many titles will be limited to 2 channel if you pass through the TV. Optical/coax direct from the player gets you 5.1 in all cases.

Cheapest decent player I know of is the Sony 1200 (no wi-fi, no 3D). If you need those features, step up to the 3200 for wi-fi or the 5200 for 3D. To save a little more, go for a used/refurb model or even last year's 1100/3100/5100.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out.
post #17065 of 17065 Old Today, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
I thought the Oppo only uses the Mediatek chip for analog component output? I did more research and it seems the Marvel Qdeo is supposed to be one of the best chips out there, and the HQV Vida isn't shabby either. That combo would be more potent than what is in my Samsung, and definitely better than what is in the HD-A2. The HD-A2 is slow as molasses to load as well.

Since I didn't get much feedback, I went ahead and got the Philips - it will be here in a few days and I can comment on the job of the Onkyo with a pristine 480i signal from dvds.
Just FYI, it sounds like you selected a good solution:

Oppo 103 and 103 Ditgital to Analog output : Cirrus Logic CS4382A chip (8-ch, 24-bit, 192khz)

Oppo 103 video : Mediatek for almost all functions, QDeo mostly for noise reduction.

Oppo 103D video : Mediatek for almost all functions, removed the QDeo processor and added the Darbee Visual Presence video processor and the Silicon Image VRS ClearView video processor

It's my opinion that we need to shift from focusing on just the chips to the chips + the firmware. If you have a chip in a device (TV, player, AVR), it doesn't mean that chip is being used well or in the same way by the software written by each company.

This is a great reference if you're curious about the Oppos...

Last edited by hernanu; Today at 01:13 PM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page