OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 570 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17071 of 17091 Old 10-22-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Not sure why HD-DVD players keep getting mentioned as good upscalers - the A2 (the most popular model) is pretty poor at it, and the X2 is only as good as an Oppo from around that same time frame, circa 2007.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17072 of 17091 Old 10-22-2014, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I guess it's just semantics. You said "first class", which I assumed to be equal (100%). I'd say most non-Oppo players are in the 90% range. I'd put my $30 Sony 1100 in that category.

I've had many Panasonic and Sony players and would put Panny on top in the upscaling department (if you turn off all effects), and at the bottom for file streaming.
he he thank you. I put Oppo in "First Class with Distinction" category.
post #17073 of 17091 Old 10-22-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
Oppo's Blu-ray players seem expensive compared to other Blu-ray players--on Oppo's store, the BDP-103 costs $499, the BDP-103D costs $599, the BDP-105 costs $1,199, and the BDP-105D costs $1,299, whereas LG's BP540 costs $90 at BestBuy.com, down from its MSRP of (I think) $130. Why do Oppo's players cost so much more than other Blu-ray players?
They have audiophile-grade internal components including sophisticated digital to analog converters. In particular the analog 7.1 outputs could be used to feed an amp without needing an expensive pre/pro or a receiver with analog outs (difficult to find these days and expensive if you do). The Oppo is also a true universal player offering playback of SACD, DVD Audio, etc. Beyond that the build quality and sheer depth of customization available on the Oppo sets it apart from 'off the shelf' models. That being said, if all you do is watch bluray movies and pipe all your video/audio through the HDMI to your receiver there is probably little cause to spend the extra money. Still, I have an Oppo 980h DVD player serving duty after several models of bluray players and even a couple of HD DVD players have long since been replaced. Truly a quality product.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #17074 of 17091 Old 10-22-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
They have audiophile-grade internal components including sophisticated digital to analog converters. In particular the analog 7.1 outputs could be used to feed an amp without needing an expensive pre/pro or a receiver with analog outs (difficult to find these days and expensive if you do). The Oppo is also a true universal player offering playback of SACD, DVD Audio, etc. Beyond that the build quality and sheer depth of customization available on the Oppo sets it apart from 'off the shelf' models. That being said, if all you do is watch bluray movies and pipe all your video/audio through the HDMI to your receiver there is probably little cause to spend the extra money. Still, I have an Oppo 980h DVD player serving duty after several models of bluray players and even a couple of HD DVD players have long since been replaced. Truly a quality product.
Great explanation, thank you. What other player do you suggest which has finest Blu-Ray video and sound quality and best DVD upscaling and leave out other OPPO features.
post #17075 of 17091 Old 10-23-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 433
So long as they don't have buggy decoders, BD players produce the same digital output signals, so "finest" doesn't apply to that part of their electronics.

Other than Oppo, Sony and Panasonic players are most often recommended here because of their reliability. Sony has more versatile network streaming options than Panasonic. Current Sony players have limited audio decoders with only 2 channel outputs. Most people bitstream the audio, though, so that's usually irrelevant.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #17076 of 17091 Old 10-23-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Not sure why HD-DVD players keep getting mentioned as good upscalers - the A2 (the most popular model) is pretty poor at it, and the X2 is only as good as an Oppo from around that same time frame, circa 2007.
Actually, that's high praise, since the 2007 Oppo 980H (981 also) is arguably the best DVD upscaler available still. And a very good universal player.

There are people who own both the 981 and the current crop of Oppos and prefer (slightly) the DVD upconversion of the 98X's.

So for what it's worth, the standard for upconversion is probably the Oppo 98X series, and the X2's equaling it is not a bad thing. The same with my HD-A35, which I compared favorably (at least equal) with my Oppo BDP-83 and now 103D.
post #17077 of 17091 Old 10-23-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys,

since many people discouraged me from buying a bluray drive and PowerDVD/WinDVD, I'm considering getting a dedicated bluray player. I have an IKEA Expedit shelf with spaces that are 330 mm wide. I'm thinking about taking out one of the elements, though to make more room for a wider player.

So I need a recommendation for a very quiet bluray player in general and maybe one for a player that is not wider than 330 mm. I'm not sure if I need an optical audio output or not. I know the theoretical pros and cons, but that is all. I don't need 3D (bluray profile 5.0). I would connect the player to a receiver (for which I'll open a separate thread) with a 2.0 system (later 5.1). What connections do I need for that - if I want all formats (DTS HD und Dolby Digital True HD)?

I've seen many players that are in the range of 600-800 Euros which quite frankly is waaay over what I'm willing to spend.
Thanks!
post #17078 of 17091 Old 10-23-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxleitnerb View Post
Hi guys,

since many people discouraged me from buying a bluray drive and PowerDVD/WinDVD, I'm considering getting a dedicated bluray player. I have an IKEA Expedit shelf with spaces that are 330 mm wide. I'm thinking about taking out one of the elements, though to make more room for a wider player.

So I need a recommendation for a very quiet bluray player in general and maybe one for a player that is not wider than 330 mm. I'm not sure if I need an optical audio output or not. I know the theoretical pros and cons, but that is all. I don't need 3D (bluray profile 5.0). I would connect the player to a receiver (for which I'll open a separate thread) with a 2.0 system (later 5.1). What connections do I need for that - if I want all formats (DTS HD und Dolby Digital True HD)?

I've seen many players that are in the range of 600-800 Euros which quite frankly is waaay over what I'm willing to spend.
Thanks!
What are you willing to spend, and how will you use it?

Movies, music, streaming content, DVD yes or no?
post #17079 of 17091 Old 10-23-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
What are you willing to spend, and how will you use it?

Movies, music, streaming content, DVD yes or no?
300 Euros max. I stream Netflix directly over my TV and 95% bluray, DVDs are practically irrelevant for me.
post #17080 of 17091 Old 10-23-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
300 Euros max. I stream Netflix directly over my TV and 95% bluray, DVDs are practically irrelevant for me.
You probably want a Sony or Panasonic.

You don't mention it, but I'm assuming your receiver handles HDMI, so just use HDMI for both video and audio connectivity and you're done.

For a cable, go with a low priced version, no need for anything expensive.

Example:

Sony BDPS1200 about 63 euros (according to amazon uk).
HDMI 2.0 cable about 6 euros. This version is ethernet capable, high speed. Best you can get.
post #17081 of 17091 Old 10-23-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
You probably want a Sony or Panasonic.

You don't mention it, but I'm assuming your receiver handles HDMI, so just use HDMI for both video and audio connectivity and you're done.

For a cable, go with a low priced version, no need for anything expensive.

Example:

Sony BDPS1200 about 63 euros (according to amazon uk).
HDMI 2.0 cable about 6 euros. This version is ethernet capable, high speed. Best you can get.
I don't have a receiver yet. I originally wanted only a HTPC with a bluray drive but I've heard too often that it would be a hassle for bluray playback, thus my change of mind.
Are there any good silent/quiet players that don't measure more than 330 mm in width? That would fit perfectly into my Expedit shelf.
post #17082 of 17091 Old 10-23-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
I don't have a receiver yet. I originally wanted only a HTPC with a bluray drive but I've heard too often that it would be a hassle for bluray playback, thus my change of mind.
Are there any good silent/quiet players that don't measure more than 330 mm in width? That would fit perfectly into my Expedit shelf.
The 1200 is 265mm wide and silent, within reason.
post #17083 of 17091 Old 10-23-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
The 1200 is 265mm wide and silent, within reason.
Thanks!
Are there any even better choices if I were to allow for a wider player? Maybe I have to take out one of the vertical elements for a decent receiver anyway.
post #17084 of 17091 Old 10-23-2014, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Actually, that's high praise, since the 2007 Oppo 980H (981 also) is arguably the best DVD upscaler available still. And a very good universal player.

There are people who own both the 981 and the current crop of Oppos and prefer (slightly) the DVD upconversion of the 98X's.

So for what it's worth, the standard for upconversion is probably the Oppo 98X series, and the X2's equaling it is not a bad thing. The same with my HD-A35, which I compared favorably (at least equal) with my Oppo BDP-83 and now 103D.
The Oppo 981 uses Faroudja, which has long since been outclassed, no? I've been able to find page after page of user testimonials of the Marvell Qdeo providing the best upscaled picture, whether it be through receivers or the newest Oppo, and several of those comparisons are against older Oppos.

Here is a comparison page of various units:

http://www.audiovideohd.fr/actualite...rvel-Qdeo.html

I'm not sure why the information I am finding is in sharp contrast to yours, but it makes sense that technology would progress over time, not regress.
post #17085 of 17091 Old Yesterday, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi,

I'm looking forward to buy an S1200. I have a lot of MKV files on my external HDD. Will S1200 be able to output MKV at 1080p24 or will it only output bluray discs at 1080p24.

Please help..I'm new to all this..
post #17086 of 17091 Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
The Oppo 981 uses Faroudja, which has long since been outclassed, no? I've been able to find page after page of user testimonials of the Marvell Qdeo providing the best upscaled picture, whether it be through receivers or the newest Oppo, and several of those comparisons are against older Oppos.

Here is a comparison page of various units:

http://www.audiovideohd.fr/actualite...rvel-Qdeo.html

I'm not sure why the information I am finding is in sharp contrast to yours, but it makes sense that technology would progress over time, not regress.
The chip and its capabilities (Faroudja, QDeo) are important to improve or expand the hardware capabilities. The missing part is the software that is written (firmware) to take advantage of the new hardware.

In the comparison you showed the top performer is an Oppo 93, as I would expect. Oppo consistently puts out the higher performers here. The Faroudja is not there, so we can't really do that comparison.

A good comparison would be to take the Oppo 981H for example and compare it to the 93 in DVD upscaling only. This would take the engineers who write the firmware (mostly) out of the equation and give a better indication of performance in DVD upscaling.

The latest Oppos (103,105) don't use the QDeo for upscaling. They use it for noise removal only, the upscaling and most other functions are handled by the Mediatek (and its firmware). The D models (103D, 105D) have removed the QDeo in favor of another chip.

As to the 981 vs. current Oppos in upscaling, search the Oppo 10X threads, you'll find several people (including a film editor) who think the 98X players are at least comparable to current models in DVD upscaling only.

Last edited by hernanu; Yesterday at 07:55 AM.
post #17087 of 17091 Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
As to the 981 vs. current Oppos in upscaling, search the Oppo 10X threads, you'll find several people (including a film editor) who think the 98X players are at least comparable to current models in DVD upscaling only.
Are you meaning the 983? That was the DVD player everyone remembers fondly. ABT processing, later used in their first Blu-ray, the BDP-83.

Faroudja processing as used in the 971 and 981 was impressive at the time, but seems much less so now.

-Bill
post #17088 of 17091 Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Those Oppo threads are HUGE I probably wouldn't be able to find it. It just doesn't seem to make sense that their upscaling would regress over the years though, and while they may no longer use the Marvell Qdeo or HQV Vida, if they were incremental steps over the Faroudja (which is in my Panasonic S77), the Reon (which is in the Toshiba X2, which is better than the A2 that I have), and the Anchor Bay (which would have been in the used Oppo I passed on), then without going the $500 new Oppo route, using my Onkyo 3010 seems like it should be the best solution.

I hear what you are saying regarding the software - I can only find a few objective scores on the Onkyo 3010/5010 for upscaling on the internet, and it seems to do well. Doubtful if the ISF certification really means anything other than Onkyo shelling out some money for a badge. The Philips unit arrives this weekend, so I will be able to compare the Onkyo 3010 to the Toshiba A2, the Panasonic S77, the Samsung F8000 (have the Philips send 480i to the Samsung), and the Philips itself (let it upscale to 1080p).

I'll try to take closeup pics too - maybe someone else out there will get benefit from it.
post #17089 of 17091 Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The other aspect of this is there is that you always have choices as to which component does the upscaling. If you don't do it in the DVD player, for instance, your TV will upscale to its display.

I have an older Pioneer Elite 1030HD whose native resolution was 1280x768. So it is always doing some scaling. Same with the 3:2 pulldown - you can do it in the player or in the TV. What's best depends on the particular units you have.
post #17090 of 17091 Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looking for an affordable 3D streaming unit with dual HDMI output.
post #17091 of 17091 Old Today, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Are you meaning the 983? That was the DVD player everyone remembers fondly. ABT processing, later used in their first Blu-ray, the BDP-83.

Faroudja processing as used in the 971 and 981 was impressive at the time, but seems much less so now.

-Bill
You are right - I meant the 983
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page