OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 570 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17071 of 17074 Old Today, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Not sure why HD-DVD players keep getting mentioned as good upscalers - the A2 (the most popular model) is pretty poor at it, and the X2 is only as good as an Oppo from around that same time frame, circa 2007.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17072 of 17074 Old Today, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I guess it's just semantics. You said "first class", which I assumed to be equal (100%). I'd say most non-Oppo players are in the 90% range. I'd put my $30 Sony 1100 in that category.

I've had many Panasonic and Sony players and would put Panny on top in the upscaling department (if you turn off all effects), and at the bottom for file streaming.
he he thank you. I put Oppo in "First Class with Distinction" category.
post #17073 of 17074 Old Today, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
Oppo's Blu-ray players seem expensive compared to other Blu-ray players--on Oppo's store, the BDP-103 costs $499, the BDP-103D costs $599, the BDP-105 costs $1,199, and the BDP-105D costs $1,299, whereas LG's BP540 costs $90 at BestBuy.com, down from its MSRP of (I think) $130. Why do Oppo's players cost so much more than other Blu-ray players?
They have audiophile-grade internal components including sophisticated digital to analog converters. In particular the analog 7.1 outputs could be used to feed an amp without needing an expensive pre/pro or a receiver with analog outs (difficult to find these days and expensive if you do). The Oppo is also a true universal player offering playback of SACD, DVD Audio, etc. Beyond that the build quality and sheer depth of customization available on the Oppo sets it apart from 'off the shelf' models. That being said, if all you do is watch bluray movies and pipe all your video/audio through the HDMI to your receiver there is probably little cause to spend the extra money. Still, I have an Oppo 980h DVD player serving duty after several models of bluray players and even a couple of HD DVD players have long since been replaced. Truly a quality product.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #17074 of 17074 Old Today, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
They have audiophile-grade internal components including sophisticated digital to analog converters. In particular the analog 7.1 outputs could be used to feed an amp without needing an expensive pre/pro or a receiver with analog outs (difficult to find these days and expensive if you do). The Oppo is also a true universal player offering playback of SACD, DVD Audio, etc. Beyond that the build quality and sheer depth of customization available on the Oppo sets it apart from 'off the shelf' models. That being said, if all you do is watch bluray movies and pipe all your video/audio through the HDMI to your receiver there is probably little cause to spend the extra money. Still, I have an Oppo 980h DVD player serving duty after several models of bluray players and even a couple of HD DVD players have long since been replaced. Truly a quality product.
Great explanation, thank you. What other player do you suggest which has finest Blu-Ray video and sound quality and best DVD upscaling and leave out other OPPO features.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com