OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 580 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17371 of 17381 Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP01 View Post
Hi all,

My Pioneer BDP-95FD just stopped playing blu-ray discs and it is no longer supported by Pioneer.

I am looking at either the Marantz UD 5007 or the Oppo BDP-103. I have done a ton of research but I wanted to know if you all have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance !!!

Andrew
This one's easy. The Oppo 103D (same 599 price as the Marantz).

Some of the extras you get:

-4K upscaling instead of 1080p
-2 HDMI inputs to use the Oppo's video processing for your other components. The Marantz has no inputs.
-Digital SPDIF outputs. The Marantz has no coax or fiber.
-RS232 control (for those who need it)
- Reference quality video.
- so on...

-Extra file formats supported:
Marantz - AVCHD / DivX HD / DivX6 / DivX Ultra / DivX plus HD, Network Audio: MP3 / WMA / AAC / FLAC / WA, Network Video: MPEG / DivX / H.264 / WMV, Network static video (JPEG)

Oppo:
3GP,AAC (Advanced Audio Coding),AIFF (Audio Interchange File Format),ALAC (Apple Lossless),APE (Monkey's Audio),ASF (Advanced Systems Format),AVCHD,AVI (Audio Video Interleave),DFF and DSF (DSD: Direct Stream Digital files),DIVX Media Format,FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec),FLV (Flash Video),GIF,JPG,M2TS,(BDAV MPEG-2 Transport Stream),M4A (same as MP4),M4V (same as MP4),MKV (Matroska, both .mkv and .mka),MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3),MP4,MPG (MPEG-1),MOV (Quicktime),MPO (Multi Picture Object),OGG,OGM,PNG,TS (Transport Stream),VOB (Video Object),WAV (up to 24 bit),WMA (Windows Media Audio) (not WMA Pro, Lossless or Voice),WMV (Windows Media Video)

Also, acting as a DLNA renderer, you get 192KHz PCM, and... well I could go on, but if you're spending that kind of money, get the Oppo.

And killer tech support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17372 of 17381 Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hernanu,

Thanks for the reply !

I am going to go for the Oppo - I have an Anthem D2 and a Pioneer Kuro 60" Plasma. Have you used both the 103 and the 103D?

Andrew

AMP01

Perfection lies in the details!
post #17373 of 17381 Old Today, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Hi all,

My Pioneer BDP-95FD just stopped playing blu-ray discs and it is no longer supported by Pioneer.

I am looking at either the Marantz UD 5007 or the Oppo BDP-103. I have done a ton of research but I wanted to know if you all have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance !!!

Andrew
I have the new bdp-85bd from Pioneer it's better then oppo 103D and if u want one even better bdp-88bd kicks oppo 105d from the throne
post #17374 of 17381 Old Today, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance !!!

Andrew
I have the new bdp-85bd from Pioneer it's better then oppo 103D and if u want one even better bdp-88bd kicks oppo 105d from the throne
post #17375 of 17381 Old Today, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I need to recommend a Blu ray player to my father in law, who trusts me with such things.

He's not going to spring for an Oppo, unfortunately, else of course I'd put him with the 103. He's willing to spend more than bottom end stuff, however. He has a Sammy 4K TV, and a brand new high end Yamaha AVR. All connections will be straightforward HDMI. 3D is a mandatory feature.

Is there anything out there better than the $150 Sony 6200? The $250 7200 seems to have way too many odd issues for relatively minimal gain. I'm just wondering if there is anything else between the two that's worth considering, or perhaps I should just have him stick with the 6200 for now? (especially since 4K players are probably coming out within a year)
post #17376 of 17381 Old Today, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
I need to recommend a Blu ray player to my father in law, who trusts me with such things.

He's not going to spring for an Oppo, unfortunately, else of course I'd put him with the 103. He's willing to spend more than bottom end stuff, however. He has a Sammy 4K TV, and a brand new high end Yamaha AVR. All connections will be straightforward HDMI. 3D is a mandatory feature.

Is there anything out there better than the $150 Sony 6200? The $250 7200 seems to have way too many odd issues for relatively minimal gain. I'm just wondering if there is anything else between the two that's worth considering, or perhaps I should just have him stick with the 6200 for now? (especially since 4K players are probably coming out within a year)
So what unique features of the 6200 would he be using to justify it over the 5200? Does he have a big collection of SACDs?
post #17377 of 17381 Old Today, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
hernanu,

Thanks for the reply !

I am going to go for the Oppo - I have an Anthem D2 and a Pioneer Kuro 60" Plasma. Have you used both the 103 and the 103D?

Andrew
I've only used the 103D and have an older BDP-83.

There are differences between the 103 and 103D. If you go to the 103 or 103D thread, there's a list of the differences.

Basically the 103D is the same as the 103, but dropped the QDeo for what I think is a better VRS chip. It also includes the Darbee technology (which I wanted), and has been updated to run DSD music over both HDMI outputs instead of the 103's HDMI2.

Otherwise, it's pretty much the same. The Kuro will look great with this as input (IMO), you'll have reference through your video chain. The Pioneer player you had was excellent, this will keep up with it and add the extra features.
post #17378 of 17381 Old Today, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I currently have a SONY BDP S570, connected to an Onkyo TX-SR608 and Panasonic PT AE4000. I am having problems with the Sony, such as slow streaming (even when connected by ethernet) and pausing during movies for a few seconds. I would like to purchase a new BLU Ray player, spending around 100 bucks or so. 3D is not important to me. I do use the USB input to play movies all the time, so good compatibility with different format and large size video files is important. Any recommendations on a player which may be considered an "upgrade" to the Sony BDP S570 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
post #17379 of 17381 Old Today, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsalt View Post
I currently have a SONY BDP S570, connected to an Onkyo TX-SR608 and Panasonic PT AE4000. I am having problems with the Sony, such as slow streaming (even when connected by ethernet) and pausing during movies for a few seconds. I would like to purchase a new BLU Ray player, spending around 100 bucks or so. 3D is not important to me. I do use the USB input to play movies all the time, so good compatibility with different format and large size video files is important. Any recommendations on a player which may be considered an "upgrade" to the Sony BDP S570 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
There are several good suggestions to be had depending on what file formats you use from USB (for compatibility).

As to the problem with streaming, things other than the player come into play.

1. The server - if a server (say Netflix) is overloaded, that can scale down your streaming. Try different times of the day and see if the issues go down during "down" times: like morning.
  2. Your internet provider or connection - If you have a slower connection or your service plan is not up to the kind of connection. You can use your streaming app to let you know what kind of speeds it's achieving or can achieve.
  3. Your home network. You've hardwired it, so you're getting the best you can from the connection, but can your router handle this kind of traffic? What is your router?
I bring this up because I don't want you to get the same results from a new, more capable player because of the connection.
post #17380 of 17381 Old Today, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
There is definitely a streaming problem with this player. In addition, the only video files it will play are mp4s, and it doesn't like those if the file is too large i.e > 1.5 GB. Add the pausing and stuttering problem and I think it is time for a new player. Thanks!
post #17381 of 17381 Old Today, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
So what unique features of the 6200 would he be using to justify it over the 5200? Does he have a big collection of SACDs?
Considering the relatively small price premium, the dual core processor in the 6200 seem well worth the small extra amount, over the single core 5200. You can never have a player that's too fast or has too much processing power. Just as one example. Also, 4K upscaling features may come in handy, since he has a 4K TV.

I'm looking for better than the 6200, just not up to the Oppo levels. I just don't know if there is anything legitimately in that category.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page