OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 581 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #17401 of 17412 Unread Yesterday, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
No on both optical & coaxial, but the flexibility is nice as my AV receiver only has two of each (I have four other sources, one of which is a PC that I rarely use, so I have to use analog audio).

Why wouldn't coaxial & optical have lossless audio?
Because S/PDIF doesn't support encryption. The studios don't want you to be able to use it to copy their precious bits.

Note that "lossless" in this case means Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA encodings. High bitrate lossless stereo LPCM *is* supported over S/PDIF.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17402 of 17412 Unread Today, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 36
HELP!

Current Receiver: Denon 4520 with 11.2 speaker setup.
Current Player: PS3
Current Issue: Atmos Blu-rays registering as lossy audio on the PS3
Resolution: Help me find a new Blu-ray player.

Since I've had my PS3 I always had it set to bitstream and had the HD Audio light on the receiver. A month ago I popped in a multi-movie disc to watch Equilibrium and there was no audio menu whatsoever. When I looked at the PS3 info screen I noticed it said DTS and not DTS-HD MA. After looking online I came across the article below, which basically says if you have your PS3 set to bitstream it is only sending lossy audio to your receiver and switching to Linear PCM will give you the lossless sound. (That is when I realized all my audio had been lossy for the last year or so... )

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/21/h...with-your-ps3/

Now I have an issue where Atmos Blu-rays are only registering as lossy audio on the PS3.

I do not know if the PS3 with Linear PCM is able to send 7.1 or NEO:X information the receiver (I have a Denon 4520), for some reason I seem to think the PS3 will only do 5.1, but I may be wrong on that. I have to research some more. If a PS4 will do everything a standalone player will do, maybe I should get that?

I just want to make sure the player I get can send 3D, Atmos, 7.1 Dolby TrueHD, NEO:X, DTS-HD MA 7.1, etc. I have a 11.2 capable receiver and a 11.2 speaker configuration. I want to make sure I am sending every bit of information from the disc to the speakers.

-I'd rather not pay $500+ for an Oppo unless I was getting something I really needed/wanted. (plus there seems to be a lot of disc compatibility issues with Oppo)
-I don't care about 4K up-scaling right now. When I buy a 4K projector, 4K players will be mainstream, I'm sure.
-I don't care about streaming or web services (Most have it, but I don't care about it).
-Open on price, but the Sony BDP-S5200 (I haven't opened yet) was only $75, if I spend much more I might look into if the PS4 will do everything.

I grabbed a Sony BDP-S5200, but I haven't opened it yet and though't I'd ask for suggestions.

What do you guys suggest getting?

Last edited by Dreamliner; Today at 12:58 AM.
post #17403 of 17412 Unread Today, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post

I grabbed a Sony BDP-S5200, but I haven't opened it yet and though't I'd ask for suggestions.

The 5200 will work fine for your specified requirements. Just be sure to both enable bitstreaming and disable secondary audio mix. Otherwise it'll decode to stereo LPCM, which cannot provide Atmos.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #17404 of 17412 Unread Today, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
hello all,

i'm looking for a player with wifi for netflix and also can play mkv file via usb port. Also a dts mkv file player. most units only play dd 5.1 no dts.

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #17405 of 17412 Unread Today, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I have the same router, different 46" Samsung, and several OPPO players. I play MKV files and the occasional MP4. I used wired ethernet because it's convenient to do so.

The -103/105 players support SMB shares as well as DLNA. I'm sure some less costly players do the same thing.

-Bill
I want very good DLNA support, my benchmark being the PS3.

For instance the support in my TV is quite bad, and Samsung almost never update their firmware... so for me good manufacturer support is key
post #17406 of 17412 Unread Today, 08:56 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubijubCH View Post
I want very good DLNA support, my benchmark being the PS3.

For instance the support in my TV is quite bad, and Samsung almost never update their firmware... so for me good manufacturer support is key
I don't know to compare DLNA quality across products. Some of this depends on the server.

The PS3 probably gets longer firmware support than any other player.

Are you in the US? (Later: I see you are not). OPPO has a 30-day return policy on their players if you want to try one. You have to pay the return shipping. You might check with a local dealer to see if they have something similar.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #17407 of 17412 Unread Today, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
HELP!

Since I've had my PS3 I always had it set to bitstream and had the HD Audio light on the receiver. A month ago I popped in a multi-movie disc to watch Equilibrium and there was no audio menu whatsoever. When I looked at the PS3 info screen I noticed it said DTS and not DTS-HD MA. After looking online I came across the article below, which basically says if you have your PS3 set to bitstream it is only sending lossy audio to your receiver and switching to Linear PCM will give you the lossless sound. (That is when I realized all my audio had been lossy for the last year or so... )

Now I have an issue where Atmos Blu-rays are only registering as lossy audio on the PS3.

I do not know if the PS3 with Linear PCM is able to send 7.1 or NEO:X information the receiver (I have a Denon 4520), for some reason I seem to think the PS3 will only do 5.1, but I may be wrong on that. I have to research some more. If a PS4 will do everything a standalone player will do, maybe I should get that?

I just want to make sure the player I get can send 3D, Atmos, 7.1 Dolby TrueHD, NEO:X, DTS-HD MA 7.1, etc. I have a 11.2 capable receiver and a 11.2 speaker configuration. I want to make sure I am sending every bit of information from the disc to the speakers.

-I'd rather not pay $500+ for an Oppo unless I was getting something I really needed/wanted. (plus there seems to be a lot of disc compatibility issues with Oppo)
-I don't care about 4K up-scaling right now. When I buy a 4K projector, 4K players will be mainstream, I'm sure.
-I don't care about streaming or web services (Most have it, but I don't care about it).
-Open on price, but the Sony BDP-S5200 (I haven't opened yet) was only $75, if I spend much more I might look into if the PS4 will do everything.

That 5200 will work good but you realize you won't get Atmos with the 4520?
post #17408 of 17412 Unread Today, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
Quote:
HELP!

Which PS3 do you have? That article being 5 years old may be referring to older models. My slim PS3 with updates has only one multi-ch failing in that it cannot do Dolby TrueHD 7.1 and 3D at the same time, otherwise it's fine with everything else either bitstream or lpcm (know nothing about Atmos....don't you need an Atmos enabled avr for any audio benefits?). I do have the S5100 in my bedroom, like it very much.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #17409 of 17412 Unread Today, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 36
OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Which PS3 do you have? That article being 5 years old may be referring to older models. My slim PS3 with updates has only one multi-ch failing in that it cannot do Dolby TrueHD 7.1 and 3D at the same time, otherwise it's fine with everything else either bitstream or lpcm (know nothing about Atmos....don't you need an Atmos enabled avr for any audio benefits?). I do have the S5100 in my bedroom, like it very much.
I have a slim that I remember buying specifically for HD audio, but it still performs as the article I linked shows.

I think it still might be incorrectly configured as Selden Ball previously mentioned, but I haven't had a chance to take a look yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
That 5200 will work good but you realize you won't get Atmos with the 4520?
I know. Future-proofing.

Last edited by Dreamliner; Today at 11:10 AM.
post #17410 of 17412 Unread Today, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Remote In Capability?

It's time to replace my current Blu-ray player (PS3) as it's having disc ejection issues. My Mid-Atlantic equipment rack is in the back of my room and I have a Harmony 1000 remote w/ RF receiver (w/in the equipment closet) to control all my components and lighting. I've been looking for a player w/ a "Remote In" jack like my receiver has, but have been unable to locate one fitting my needs. I don't have a 3D projector yet, but my upgrade to one in the future. I also require the unit to work w/ the DTS-HD in my receiver (Yamaha RX-V3800). Finally, it needs to work w/ Amazon streaming video. What do you all recommend that will work in my system? I really don't want the RF cable running around to the front of the unit as this looks ugly in my beautiful Mid-Atlantic rack w/ custom shelves...

Thanks!

Check out my "Too many decisions" build here:
Too many decisions...

Last edited by SPDSpappy; Today at 01:52 PM.
post #17411 of 17412 Unread Today, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
Quote:
I have a slim that I remember buying specifically for HD audio, but it still performs as the article I linked shows.

I think it still might be incorrectly configured as Selden Ball previously mentioned, but I haven't had a chance to take a look yet.
You're using hdmi, yes? Mine works with hdmi either way, LPCM or bitstream, except as I noted with a movie that is both 3d and Dolby True HD (where it defaults to Dolby Digital). I stopped reading the article after I saw the date but checking your configuration may be the missing link?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #17412 of 17412 Unread Today, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Small Vertical Players?

Hello all-

I have a new TV in the bedroom- it's wall mounted and not near any horizontal surfaces- so I'd like to mount a small BD player either to the wall behind the TV, or to the TV itself.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IYH1IV6/..._t1_B00IQA1XIO would work great, I think. However, I'd like to see what other options are out there.

I assume anything that is slot loading would probably work vertically... and tray loaders with the little tabs on the tray (like Xbox 360) should work vertically too, right?

Any other suggestions?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com