OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 582 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.

Blu-ray Players

Krzysztofradio's Avatar Krzysztofradio
01:23 PM Liked: 0
post #17431 of 17445
12-24-2014 | Posts: 18
I mean BD5007 vs BD7007 of course
scannerman's Avatar scannerman
03:46 PM Liked: 10
post #17432 of 17445
12-24-2014 | Posts: 92
thx - ordered 103 today!
Rick_Brown
05:30 PM Liked: 0
post #17433 of 17445
12-24-2014 | Posts: 1
I want to store all of my personal DVDs onto a portable hard drive and connect it to a USB on a Blu-ray player for playback so I don't have drawers of DVDs taking up space. I am getting conflicting advice on trying to do this:

- Was told Blu-ray players are not made to handle the large video files on the portable hard drive and that it can take 10 minutes to index the files each time I power up the Blu-ray player.
- I have been told that the 10 minutes to index the files will only occur the first time the portable hard drive is connected and that the Blu-ray player will hold the file indexing in memory (I would pretty much leave the portable hard drive connected to the player permanently).
- I was told to get a Blu-ray player with a USB 3.0 connection since they will be faster than a USB 2.0.
- I have seen threads saying it USB 2.0 is fine, USB 3.0 won't make any difference.
- I have been told to forget trying the portable hard drive USB approach due to the issue in the first bullet above. I should move to Network Attached Storage.

So many mixed messages. I like the simplicity and hard connection of the USB and portable hard drive approach. Can anyone help clarify what will work?

Thanks,
Rick
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain
06:47 PM Liked: 389
post #17434 of 17445
12-24-2014 | Posts: 17,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Brown View Post
I want to store all of my personal DVDs onto a portable hard drive and connect it to a USB on a Blu-ray player for playback so I don't have drawers of DVDs taking up space. I am getting conflicting advice on trying to do this:

- Was told Blu-ray players are not made to handle the large video files on the portable hard drive and that it can take 10 minutes to index the files each time I power up the Blu-ray player.
- I have been told that the 10 minutes to index the files will only occur the first time the portable hard drive is connected and that the Blu-ray player will hold the file indexing in memory (I would pretty much leave the portable hard drive connected to the player permanently).
- I was told to get a Blu-ray player with a USB 3.0 connection since they will be faster than a USB 2.0.
- I have seen threads saying it USB 2.0 is fine, USB 3.0 won't make any difference.
- I have been told to forget trying the portable hard drive USB approach due to the issue in the first bullet above. I should move to Network Attached Storage.

So many mixed messages. I like the simplicity and hard connection of the USB and portable hard drive approach. Can anyone help clarify what will work?

Thanks,
Rick
Welcome to AVSForum

What you describe is commonly done. I've never seen or heard of 10 minute indexing. What size drives are you talking about, with how many files?

USB 2.0 is fast enough.

The above is easy enough to test with a small portable drive and a test collection of files.

Putting your files on network storage has it's virtues, too.

-Bill
kmld
01:09 AM Liked: 0
post #17435 of 17445
Yesterday | Posts: 4
I need to choose between two low-end players - Samsung BD-F5100 and Sony BDP-S1200. Can't see any significant difference between them, even the price is exactly the same. Any advice?
Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball
09:19 AM Liked: 531
post #17436 of 17445
Yesterday | Posts: 7,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmld View Post
I need to choose between two low-end players - Samsung BD-F5100 and Sony BDP-S1200. Can't see any significant difference between them, even the price is exactly the same. Any advice?
Sony.

Samsung's firmware is reported to be quite buggy.
kmld
11:49 AM Liked: 0
post #17437 of 17445
Yesterday | Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Sony.

Samsung's firmware is reported to be quite buggy.
Thanks!
meicalnissyen's Avatar meicalnissyen
03:56 PM Liked: 10
post #17438 of 17445
Today | Posts: 8
Greets, and thanks in advance
I have a samsung f5900, which just failed by displaying a roughly 5x9 tiled display of scrambled screens
then it just refusd to read disks

I never liked it anyway with its huge samsung start screen/ apps screen etc
Before that I had a LG with a 200 some odd gb HDD that I never really used (package deal with the TV)can't remember how it died

Would someone make some reccomendations for a player that:

1 Plays Blu ray with smooth, HQ direct output (i do my processing in my onkyo)

2 is mechanically reliable

3 has an absolute minimum of Foof, I have no need to do anything but excellent playback of bluray. I just want to put a netflix rental disc in, and tap the DVD button on my onkyo remote, and see the movie home screen

I should note that I have a slim PS3, and just read that I can get a normal remote to use instead of the game thing

configured properly, would that be a candidate? other than its cumbersome nature, constant software updating prior to use, dead gameplayers, etc

THANKS
SPDSpappy's Avatar SPDSpappy
04:32 PM Liked: 10
post #17439 of 17445
Today | Posts: 152
Thanks, but Oppo doesn't do Amazon Video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Oppo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSpappy View Post
It's time to replace my current Blu-ray player (PS3) as it's having disc ejection issues. My Mid-Atlantic equipment rack is in the back of my room and I have a Harmony 1000 remote w/ RF receiver (w/in the equipment closet) to control all my components and lighting. I've been looking for a player w/ a "Remote In" jack like my receiver has, but have been unable to locate one fitting my needs. I don't have a 3D projector yet, but my upgrade to one in the future. I also require the unit to work w/ the DTS-HD in my receiver (Yamaha RX-V3800). Finally, it needs to work w/ Amazon streaming video. What do you all recommend that will work in my system? I really don't want the RF cable running around to the front of the unit as this looks ugly in my beautiful Mid-Atlantic rack w/ custom shelves...

Thanks!

mdavej's Avatar mdavej
06:41 PM Liked: 448
post #17440 of 17445
Today | Posts: 10,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSpappy View Post
Thanks, but Oppo doesn't do Amazon Video.
Oops. Sorry about that. But since you're already spending $600+ on a player, what's another $40 for a Fire TV Stick to plug into it? I don't know of anything else with an IR jack.
SPDSpappy's Avatar SPDSpappy
07:40 PM Liked: 10
post #17441 of 17445
Today | Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Oops. Sorry about that. But since you're already spending $600+ on a player, what's another $40 for a Fire TV Stick to plug into it? I don't know of anything else with an IR jack.
Will the Harmony control it? Does the FireTV interact w/ the Oppo Blu-ray ok?

Yamaha & Denon also sell players w/ an IR in, but just not w/ Amazon Video...
peterperil
08:30 PM Liked: 0
post #17442 of 17445
Today | Posts: 1
Hi,
I hope one of you informed forum members can help me make a decision.

I am looking to replace my Oppo DV-980H DVD Player (The tray won't open). I'd like an Oppo Blu Ray but that's out of my budget.

Here's what I'm looking for:
<$200
Doesn't have to be 3D
I don't have HDMI on my receiver and don't want a new one. Note: I don't always send audio through it.
Must have Wi-Fi. The streaming source will probably be about 15' from the player.
Support major streaming services.
Good quality upscaling.
Must have a clean simple user interface.
The remote must be fairly easy to use or I can download an app to my tablet to control everything.
Build quality should be fairly good
Not too noisy, if that's possible.

Also I have ATT Uverse and wonder if I would be able to stream to a Samsung Tab S tablet and then to the player.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me out.
08:37 PM Liked: 389
post #17443 of 17445
Today | Posts: 17,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterperil View Post

I am looking to replace my Oppo DV-980H DVD Player (The tray won't open).
Welcome to AVSForum.

Note that OPPO will service that for a fixed price, or perhaps give you tips on doing it yourself.

-Bill
80sGuy's Avatar 80sGuy
09:19 PM Liked: 10
post #17444 of 17445
Today | Posts: 587
Happy Holidays!
Wanted to get the Oppo103 but debating whether I should pay an extra $100 for the Darbee version. I've read mixed reviews about how artificial it looked (over-processing, etc.) and understand that can be switched off but it defeats the purpose, not to mention wasting the $100! Also, my main use would be for Netflix, Vudu, and most importantly; streaming photos and various video file types from my network via DLNA. I am currently using a Roku 3 but DLNA doesn't exist and their network streaming feature sucks. Most video types won't even play and files system are unorganized. This will be my very first Blu-Ray player since I don't have many BD discs (owned about two discs from promos) and will be replacing the 'aging' DVD player (c. 2002). I will consider spending more for a 'quality-built' product - something such as the Oppo103/D if it can take care of all the needs mentioned above. Also comparing this to the Denon DBT-1713UD. What are your thoughts/
Thanks!
09:35 PM Liked: 389
post #17445 of 17445
Today | Posts: 17,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Happy Holidays!
Wanted to get the Oppo103 but debating whether I should pay an extra $100 for the Darbee version. I've read mixed reviews about how artificial it looked (over-processing, etc.)
I presume our comments will also be mixed.

Darbee is a subtle effect when used properly; some people claim that can't see it at all at first use. I don't find it to look artificial at all unless you turn it up to a ludicrous value.

It's optional. Most people will tell you the better the source the better the effect, so Blu-rays are the best candidates for improvement.

-Bill
Tags: Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality

Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread