OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 582 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.

Blu-ray Players

Krzysztofradio's Avatar Krzysztofradio
01:23 PM Liked: 0
post #17431 of 17441
12-24-2014 | Posts: 18
Joined: Feb 2013
I mean BD5007 vs BD7007 of course
scannerman's Avatar scannerman
03:46 PM Liked: 10
post #17432 of 17441
12-24-2014 | Posts: 92
Joined: Jan 2005
thx - ordered 103 today!
Rick_Brown
05:30 PM Liked: 0
post #17433 of 17441
12-24-2014 | Posts: 1
Joined: Dec 2014
I want to store all of my personal DVDs onto a portable hard drive and connect it to a USB on a Blu-ray player for playback so I don't have drawers of DVDs taking up space. I am getting conflicting advice on trying to do this:


- Was told Blu-ray players are not made to handle the large video files on the portable hard drive and that it can take 10 minutes to index the files each time I power up the Blu-ray player.
- I have been told that the 10 minutes to index the files will only occur the first time the portable hard drive is connected and that the Blu-ray player will hold the file indexing in memory (I would pretty much leave the portable hard drive connected to the player permanently).
- I was told to get a Blu-ray player with a USB 3.0 connection since they will be faster than a USB 2.0.
- I have seen threads saying it USB 2.0 is fine, USB 3.0 won't make any difference.
- I have been told to forget trying the portable hard drive USB approach due to the issue in the first bullet above. I should move to Network Attached Storage.


So many mixed messages. I like the simplicity and hard connection of the USB and portable hard drive approach. Can anyone help clarify what will work?


Thanks,
Rick
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain
06:47 PM Liked: 389
post #17434 of 17441
12-24-2014 | Posts: 17,801
Joined: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Brown View Post
I want to store all of my personal DVDs onto a portable hard drive and connect it to a USB on a Blu-ray player for playback so I don't have drawers of DVDs taking up space. I am getting conflicting advice on trying to do this:


- Was told Blu-ray players are not made to handle the large video files on the portable hard drive and that it can take 10 minutes to index the files each time I power up the Blu-ray player.
- I have been told that the 10 minutes to index the files will only occur the first time the portable hard drive is connected and that the Blu-ray player will hold the file indexing in memory (I would pretty much leave the portable hard drive connected to the player permanently).
- I was told to get a Blu-ray player with a USB 3.0 connection since they will be faster than a USB 2.0.
- I have seen threads saying it USB 2.0 is fine, USB 3.0 won't make any difference.
- I have been told to forget trying the portable hard drive USB approach due to the issue in the first bullet above. I should move to Network Attached Storage.


So many mixed messages. I like the simplicity and hard connection of the USB and portable hard drive approach. Can anyone help clarify what will work?


Thanks,
Rick
Welcome to AVSForum

What you describe is commonly done. I've never seen or heard of 10 minute indexing. What size drives are you talking about, with how many files?

USB 2.0 is fast enough.

The above is easy enough to test with a small portable drive and a test collection of files.

Putting your files on network storage has it's virtues, too.

-Bill
kmld
01:09 AM Liked: 0
post #17435 of 17441
Yesterday | Posts: 4
Joined: Dec 2014
I need to choose between two low-end players - Samsung BD-F5100 and Sony BDP-S1200. Can't see any significant difference between them, even the price is exactly the same. Any advice?
Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball
09:19 AM Liked: 531
post #17436 of 17441
Yesterday | Posts: 7,808
Joined: Jan 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmld View Post
I need to choose between two low-end players - Samsung BD-F5100 and Sony BDP-S1200. Can't see any significant difference between them, even the price is exactly the same. Any advice?
Sony.

Samsung's firmware is reported to be quite buggy.
kmld
11:49 AM Liked: 0
post #17437 of 17441
Yesterday | Posts: 4
Joined: Dec 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Sony.

Samsung's firmware is reported to be quite buggy.
Thanks!
meicalnissyen's Avatar meicalnissyen
03:56 PM Liked: 10
post #17438 of 17441
Today | Posts: 8
Joined: Jul 2013
Greets, and thanks in advance
I have a samsung f5900, which just failed by displaying a roughly 5x9 tiled display of scrambled screens
then it just refusd to read disks

I never liked it anyway with its huge samsung start screen/ apps screen etc
Before that I had a LG with a 200 some odd gb HDD that I never really used (package deal with the TV)can't remember how it died

Would someone make some reccomendations for a player that:

1 Plays Blu ray with smooth, HQ direct output (i do my processing in my onkyo)

2 is mechanically reliable

3 has an absolute minimum of Foof, I have no need to do anything but excellent playback of bluray. I just want to put a netflix rental disc in, and tap the DVD button on my onkyo remote, and see the movie home screen

I should note that I have a slim PS3, and just read that I can get a normal remote to use instead of the game thing

configured properly, would that be a candidate? other than its cumbersome nature, constant software updating prior to use, dead gameplayers, etc

THANKS
SPDSpappy's Avatar SPDSpappy
04:32 PM Liked: 10
post #17439 of 17441
Today | Posts: 152
Joined: Jan 2008
Thanks, but Oppo doesn't do Amazon Video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Oppo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSpappy View Post
It's time to replace my current Blu-ray player (PS3) as it's having disc ejection issues. My Mid-Atlantic equipment rack is in the back of my room and I have a Harmony 1000 remote w/ RF receiver (w/in the equipment closet) to control all my components and lighting. I've been looking for a player w/ a "Remote In" jack like my receiver has, but have been unable to locate one fitting my needs. I don't have a 3D projector yet, but my upgrade to one in the future. I also require the unit to work w/ the DTS-HD in my receiver (Yamaha RX-V3800). Finally, it needs to work w/ Amazon streaming video. What do you all recommend that will work in my system? I really don't want the RF cable running around to the front of the unit as this looks ugly in my beautiful Mid-Atlantic rack w/ custom shelves...

Thanks!

mdavej's Avatar mdavej
06:41 PM Liked: 448
post #17440 of 17441
Today | Posts: 10,356
Joined: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSpappy View Post
Thanks, but Oppo doesn't do Amazon Video.
Oops. Sorry about that. But since you're already spending $600+ on a player, what's another $40 for a Fire TV Stick to plug into it? I don't know of anything else with an IR jack.
SPDSpappy's Avatar SPDSpappy
07:40 PM Liked: 10
post #17441 of 17441
Today | Posts: 152
Joined: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Oops. Sorry about that. But since you're already spending $600+ on a player, what's another $40 for a Fire TV Stick to plug into it? I don't know of anything else with an IR jack.
Will the Harmony control it? Does the FireTV interact w/ the Oppo Blu-ray ok?

Yamaha & Denon also sell players w/ an IR in, but just not w/ Amazon Video...
Tags: Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality

Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3