OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 583 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.

Blu-ray Players

teachsac's Avatar teachsac
10:44 AM Liked: 167
post #17461 of 17466
Today | Posts: 4,699
If you're buying a new receiver, no need to run separate HDMI cables for audio and video. One HDMI connection through the receiver to your TV.

S~
MrSniper1401's Avatar MrSniper1401
10:51 AM Liked: 10
post #17462 of 17466
Today | Posts: 17
Trying to decide between a a sony S6200 and an Oppo 103 for a 4k samsung. Would there be a difference between the two picture quality wise, namely 4k upscaling?
darrenchristoper
10:59 AM Liked: 0
post #17463 of 17466
Today | Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
If you're buying a new receiver, no need to run separate HDMI cables for audio and video. One HDMI connection through the receiver to your TV.

S~
If I understood this correctly, one HDMI cable from the bluray player to the receiver. And another HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV? So I'll need two HDMI cables?
Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball
10:59 AM Liked: 537
post #17464 of 17466
Today | Posts: 7,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSniper1401 View Post
Trying to decide between a a sony S6200 and an Oppo 103 for a 4k samsung. Would there be a difference between the two picture quality wise, namely 4k upscaling?
If you're doing upscaling, that's best handled in the TV, not in the player. 4K requires a much higher bandwidth than 1080p, so you need higher quality cables, for example, as well as an AVR or pre/pro that can pass the 4K signal. While cables Certified High Speed are *supposed* to be able to carry 4K without problems, that's not always the case. People already have problems with cables when trying to pass 1080p bitrates.

Of course, if you want to watch native 4K video, that's another matter entirely, but Netflix recommends doing that in the TV, too.
11:07 AM Liked: 167
post #17465 of 17466
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenchristoper View Post
If I understood this correctly, one HDMI cable from the bluray player to the receiver. And another HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV? So I'll need two HDMI cables?

Correct. You will more than likely run all of your devices into your receiver, and then run an HDMI cable from the receiver to your TV. The receiver will then do all of the switching between devices.

S~
11:09 AM Liked: 167
post #17466 of 17466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
If you're doing upscaling, that's best handled in the TV, not in the player. 4K requires a much higher bandwidth than 1080p, so you need higher quality cables, for example, as well as an AVR or pre/pro that can pass the 4K signal. While cables Certified High Speed are *supposed* to be able to carry 4K without problems, that's not always the case. People already have problems with cables when trying to pass 1080p bitrates.

Of course, if you want to watch native 4K video, that's another matter entirely, but Netflix recommends doing that in the TV, too.
Depends on the devices. Most have found Samsung's and Vizio's scaling to be inferior to some Blu-ray players scaling. Best bet is to try both methods and see which one is best. I've had zero issues with my cables and 4K. All high speed. I have a Sony BD player and Sony TV. Both are the same.

S~
Tags: Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality

Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread