OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 583 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17461 of 17468 Old Today, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 169
If you're buying a new receiver, no need to run separate HDMI cables for audio and video. One HDMI connection through the receiver to your TV.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17462 of 17468 Old Today, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying to decide between a a sony S6200 and an Oppo 103 for a 4k samsung. Would there be a difference between the two picture quality wise, namely 4k upscaling?
post #17463 of 17468 Old Today, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
If you're buying a new receiver, no need to run separate HDMI cables for audio and video. One HDMI connection through the receiver to your TV.

S~
If I understood this correctly, one HDMI cable from the bluray player to the receiver. And another HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV? So I'll need two HDMI cables?
post #17464 of 17468 Old Today, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSniper1401 View Post
Trying to decide between a a sony S6200 and an Oppo 103 for a 4k samsung. Would there be a difference between the two picture quality wise, namely 4k upscaling?
If you're doing upscaling, that's best handled in the TV, not in the player. 4K requires a much higher bandwidth than 1080p, so you need higher quality cables, for example, as well as an AVR or pre/pro that can pass the 4K signal. While cables Certified High Speed are *supposed* to be able to carry 4K without problems, that's not always the case. People already have problems with cables when trying to pass 1080p bitrates.

Of course, if you want to watch native 4K video, that's another matter entirely, but Netflix recommends doing that in the TV, too.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #17465 of 17468 Old Today, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenchristoper View Post
If I understood this correctly, one HDMI cable from the bluray player to the receiver. And another HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV? So I'll need two HDMI cables?

Correct. You will more than likely run all of your devices into your receiver, and then run an HDMI cable from the receiver to your TV. The receiver will then do all of the switching between devices.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #17466 of 17468 Old Today, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
If you're doing upscaling, that's best handled in the TV, not in the player. 4K requires a much higher bandwidth than 1080p, so you need higher quality cables, for example, as well as an AVR or pre/pro that can pass the 4K signal. While cables Certified High Speed are *supposed* to be able to carry 4K without problems, that's not always the case. People already have problems with cables when trying to pass 1080p bitrates.

Of course, if you want to watch native 4K video, that's another matter entirely, but Netflix recommends doing that in the TV, too.
Depends on the devices. Most have found Samsung's and Vizio's scaling to be inferior to some Blu-ray players scaling. Best bet is to try both methods and see which one is best. I've had zero issues with my cables and 4K. All high speed. I have a Sony BD player and Sony TV. Both are the same.

S~

post #17467 of 17468 Old Today, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Smile Blu Ray for Tube Tv with Component / RCA Jacks

Looking for an affordable blu ray player with no gimmicks that would have composite video and RCA jacks. Yes, I'm hooking up a blu ray player to an old tube tv. Yes, I'm aware that a new tv would be the smartest route but the goal is to allow the viewers to see modern ripped/torrented movies that would be burned to a disc or play from a USB.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance.
post #17468 of 17468 Old Today, 07:55 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantsontheground View Post
Looking for an affordable blu ray player with no gimmicks that would have composite video and RCA jacks. Yes, I'm hooking up a blu ray player to an old tube tv. Yes, I'm aware that a new tv would be the smartest route but the goal is to allow the viewers to see modern ripped/torrented movies that would be burned to a disc or play from a USB.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance.
You'll need a model from several years ago. Analog output has not been allowed on Blu-ray players for some time.

It's been a while since we last discussed this. You might search this forum for threads with "component" in the title.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page