OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 588 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #17611 of 17618 Old 01-29-2015, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Test the Pioneer Elite better then oppo.
NightForce likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17612 of 17618 Old 01-29-2015, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does it stream Netflix and Vudu? If no then it is a dud. Pioneers (especially Elite) are nice but they are far from an Oppo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiostar88 View Post
Test the Pioneer Elite better then oppo.
post #17613 of 17618 Old Yesterday, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Depending on what u need they are different cd and bluray and dvd upscaling are better on Pioneer it weight 2 times more has zero signal kabel.
Better dac for streaming music movies from NAS disk etc.
The only advantage the oppo has is 7.1 analog out if u need that and more network apps like Netflix..
Have tested the bdp85 vs 103D next to each other.
NightForce likes this.
post #17614 of 17618 Old Today, 05:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm going to throw my BRP request out here. Let me preface by saying I do streaming from a NAS or by popular internet services for 99% of video viewing. I need something for the occasional use of a physical disc. My wants/needs for me are:

• Small form factor (pretty important)
  • Reasonable quality/Reputable name brand
  • Tray loading preferred
  • Bit streaming of HD audio capable
  • 3D capable
  • HDMI connection is all that's needed
  • WiFi not needed
  • Apps (Netflix etc) not needed
  • Up-scaling not needed
  • 4K not needed
  • $100 or less

I think that covers it.

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited by Stevetd; Today at 05:34 AM.
post #17615 of 17618 Old Today, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thoughts between the Elite BDP-85FD to an Oppo BDP-103D. Neighbor loves his Oppo, I already have an Elite AVr and like the app to control it and the BDP. I don't care about streaming, Netflix, etc. This will be primarily for movies (played with a disc) and rare CD audio for parties 2-3x a year. Thanks for any feedback.
post #17616 of 17618 Old Today, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
I'm going to throw my BRP request out here. Let me preface by saying I do streaming from a NAS or by popular internet services for 99% of video viewing. I need something for the occasional use of a physical disc. My wants/needs for me are:

• Small form factor (pretty important)
  • Reasonable quality/Reputable name brand
  • Tray loading preferred
  • Bit streaming of HD audio capable
  • 3D capable
  • HDMI connection is all that's needed
  • WiFi not needed
  • Apps (Netflix etc) not needed
  • Up-scaling not needed
  • 4K not needed
  • $100 or less

I think that covers it.

Thanks!
Sony 5200 or upcoming 5500. 10.5x1.75x8. There are smaller players out there which would work ok as long as you never use the apps, like the Toshiba BDX-3500, for example, 2.5" narrower than Sony. Plays discs fine, but has the worst apps I've ever seen, completely unusable.
post #17617 of 17618 Old Today, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Blu-Ray player that reads MKV files with options to change subtitle size or style?

I know there are many Blu-ray and DVD players (with custom firmware or without) that will read avi/divx files and allow one to A) change the size or the font and/or B) add a black outline to the .srt or other external subtitles attached to said files...

My question is whether there any Blu-ray players from the past 4 or 5 years that provide either of these same subtitle rendering options for the subs attached or found within MKV files (again, with or without custom firmware). All of the ones I have used or read about seem to have one default size (which in almost all cases is far too small when viewed on a TV). I know there are various media players that have these options, but I am trying to find a stand alone blu-ray player that might at least have this ability to change at least the size of the subs (i.e small, medium, large). I know that Philips and Oppo blu-ray players have the option to shift the position of the subs on the screen, but still in search of a player that has an option to change the size of the .srt sub file to a larger size, or as its default, has a larger than normal size for the subs.

Any help on this greatly appreciated!

Last edited by SSPOSEIDON; Today at 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling, clarity
post #17618 of 17618 Old Today, 03:11 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPOSEIDON View Post
I know that Philips and Oppo blu-ray players have the option to shift the position of the subs
Welcome to AVSForum.

The current OPPOs added additional controls to resize and change the color of text subtitles like SRT, but I'm forgetting how much was actually implemented. You might query OPPO customer support, or I'll run some tests if you can't find the info elsewhere.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page