OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 594 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #17791 of 17818 Old 02-23-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 8,381
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDivots View Post
Hey Selden, thanks for the response.
I have the Vizio 54" soundbar with sub and satellite speakers. 5.1. Recognizes dolby digital and dolby digital plus. s5451 c2
I use HDMI in on the soundbar.
Vizio must have several different 54" soundbars. Exactly what model do you have? The one I found directly supports both DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD -- model S5430-C2.
Quote:

So If I have a blu ray player that decodes TrueHd and DTS HD MA, does that mean I am getting that audio quality in my speakers, or does that mean it dumbs it down to dolby digital??
It decodes the audio into high resolution PCM, so you'll get the same quality.

Quote:
Also, with that Sony S5200, I can plug an external hard drive to it via usb, and it'll read movie files from it? (.mkv or ISO??)
MKV and M2TS are supported, but not ISO. The studios made all of the BD manufacturers remove ISO capability.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17792 of 17818 Old 02-23-2015, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
......


MKV and M2TS are supported, but not ISO. The studios made all of the BD manufacturers remove ISO capability.
What a crock of b.s....this is worst than communist!
80sGuy is online now  
post #17793 of 17818 Old 02-23-2015, 07:09 PM
Newbie
 
Dargent0628's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oppo 83 still solid? I have a smart LG plasma on the way and since I don't game I'm going to sell the PS3. I'd really like SACD Capability. 83s can be gotten for around 200. In your opinion are they still a solid player?
Dargent0628 is offline  
post #17794 of 17818 Old 02-23-2015, 07:17 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
Oppo 83 still solid? I have a smart LG plasma on the way and since I don't game I'm going to sell the PS3. I'd really like SACD Capability. 83s can be gotten for around 200. In your opinion are they still a solid player?
It was discontinued in 2010. For SACD it is probably fine. For Blu-ray, we have seen reports of recent discs not playing. OPPO released a firmware update to fix one such problem a few months ago, but there will be other issues with new discs.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #17795 of 17818 Old 02-24-2015, 05:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: somewhere in CA
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Entry Level vs Mid level bluray

I'm wondering if an entry level bluray player (samsung, sony, LG) and a mid level bluray player (denon, oppo) are very different in picture quality. My LCD TV is not that big, only 42". Is the difference noticeable since they are all using HMDI connection?
darrenchristoper is online now  
post #17796 of 17818 Old 02-24-2015, 07:22 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenchristoper View Post
I'm wondering if an entry level bluray player (samsung, sony, LG) and a mid level bluray player (denon, oppo) are very different in picture quality. My LCD TV is not that big, only 42". Is the difference noticeable since they are all using HMDI connection?
They will be very similar.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #17797 of 17818 Old 02-24-2015, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenchristoper View Post
I'm wondering if an entry level bluray player (samsung, sony, LG) and a mid level bluray player (denon, oppo) are very different in picture quality. My LCD TV is not that big, only 42". Is the difference noticeable since they are all using HMDI connection?
I think characterizing all blu-ray players from manufacturers such as Sony & Panasonic as "entry level" is a huge mistake. I stand by my Sony BDP-S1000ES as NOT being "entry level" in any aspect of its performance. I respectively suggest you would be wasting a significant amount of money on an Oppo player unless there are specific features in said Oppo player that you are determined to have that are not available on other player models from major manufacturers such as Panasonic or Sony.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #17798 of 17818 Old 02-24-2015, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I think characterizing all blu-ray players from manufacturers such as Sony & Panasonic as "entry level" is a huge mistake. I stand by my Sony BDP-S1000ES as NOT being "entry level" in any aspect of its performance. I respectively suggest you would be wasting a significant amount of money on an Oppo player unless there are specific features in said Oppo player that you are determined to have that are not available on other player models from major manufacturers such as Panasonic or Sony.
HDMI 'IN', Darbee Visual Presence. Also Dual HDMI OUT plus 3 USB IN, and an array of multiple Analog Surround OUT. Then you get really high-end built quality, and of course the excellent customer and product support. All in all, you do get what you paid for.

Last edited by 80sGuy; 02-24-2015 at 10:13 PM.
80sGuy is online now  
post #17799 of 17818 Old 02-24-2015, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
HDMI 'IN', Darbee Visual Presence. Also Dual HDMI OUT plus 3 USB IN, and an array of multiple Analog Surround OUT. Then you get really high-end built quality, and of course the excellent customer and product support. All in all, you do get what you paid for.
I expect those particular features you mention will bring no value whatsoever to the op with the 42" TV who asked about picture quality via hdmi. But, as I said, if Oppo offers a feature needed by the consumer that other quality manufacturers do not offer, then by all means, consider spending the extra money for an Oppo to get it.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #17800 of 17818 Old Yesterday, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I expect those particular features you mention will bring no value whatsoever to the op with the 42" TV who asked about picture quality via hdmi. But, as I said, if Oppo offers a feature needed by the consumer that other quality manufacturers do not offer, then by all means, consider spending the extra money for an Oppo to get it.
As I've mentioned, HDMI IN - this means that you can feed whatever to your heart's consent in to the Oppo via HDMI. This will benefit greatly with Darbee Visual Presence; be it your cable/satellite box, media streaming box, or a DVD player.
80sGuy is online now  
post #17801 of 17818 Old Yesterday, 01:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
As I've mentioned, HDMI IN - this means that you can feed whatever to your heart's consent in to the Oppo via HDMI. This will benefit greatly with Darbee Visual Presence; be it your cable/satellite box, media streaming box, or a DVD player.
Well, as I've tried to say already, if that feature is worth spending $600 for a blu-ray player connected via hdmi to a 42" hdtv to the op . . then by all means he/she should consider going for it.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #17802 of 17818 Old Yesterday, 01:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: somewhere in CA
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I think characterizing all blu-ray players from manufacturers such as Sony & Panasonic as "entry level" is a huge mistake. I stand by my Sony BDP-S1000ES as NOT being "entry level" in any aspect of its performance. I respectively suggest you would be wasting a significant amount of money on an Oppo player unless there are specific features in said Oppo player that you are determined to have that are not available on other player models from major manufacturers such as Panasonic or Sony.
No you misunderstood. The entry level is measured by the price standpoint. Not saying all Sony are entry level.

I'm talking about $120 player as oppose to $500 player.
Rich86 likes this.
darrenchristoper is online now  
post #17803 of 17818 Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 2,774
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenchristoper View Post
I'm wondering if an entry level bluray player (samsung, sony, LG) and a mid level bluray player (denon, oppo) are very different in picture quality. My LCD TV is not that big, only 42". Is the difference noticeable since they are all using HMDI connection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I think characterizing all blu-ray players from manufacturers such as Sony & Panasonic as "entry level" is a huge mistake. I stand by my Sony BDP-S1000ES as NOT being "entry level" in any aspect of its performance. I respectively suggest you would be wasting a significant amount of money on an Oppo player unless there are specific features in said Oppo player that you are determined to have that are not available on other player models from major manufacturers such as Panasonic or Sony.
Well of course the S1000ES ($699 then) is not entry level, since it was the top of Sony's line in when it came out in 2009. Great bluray player, but Sony does offer entry level units, which is (I believe) what the OP was concerned with.

If you're interested only in bluray play, then a good entry level Sony would do just fine.

I consider Oppo to also be in the high end.

You get an Oppo if in addition to top bluray and DVD play, the video processing of cable boxes, media players or streaming services (which are also processed by the Oppo) is important to you. Also if you want high end audio processing or network file processing. Lots of pluses, but you should only pay for it if you're going to use it.

I do, having two of these, but I gave my daughter a Sony S590 which she is very happy with for some bluray and mostly streaming.
hernanu is offline  
post #17804 of 17818 Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: somewhere in CA
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Well of course the S1000ES ($699 then) is not entry level, since it was the top of Sony's line in when it came out in 2009. Great bluray player, but Sony does offer entry level units, which is (I believe) what the OP was concerned with.

If you're interested only in bluray play, then a good entry level Sony would do just fine.

I consider Oppo to also be in the high end.

You get an Oppo if in addition to top bluray and DVD play, the video processing of cable boxes, media players or streaming services (which are also processed by the Oppo) is important to you. Also if you want high end audio processing or network file processing. Lots of pluses, but you should only pay for it if you're going to use it.

I do, having two of these, but I gave my daughter a Sony S590 which she is very happy with for some bluray and mostly streaming.
I only concern to watch movies in High definition pictures. No need for Wifi and 3D capability. I don't like watching movies in 3D anyway . For sound processing, I'm buying an onkyo receiver as well.
darrenchristoper is online now  
post #17805 of 17818 Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,820
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenchristoper View Post
I only concern to watch movies in High definition pictures. No need for Wifi and 3D capability. I don't like watching movies in 3D anyway . For sound processing, I'm buying an onkyo receiver as well.
Then all you need is a Sony 1200, which is $60 new on Amazon, or $35 used/refurb. I have several of them. The BD picture quality is on par with every other player I've ever seen.
mdavej is offline  
post #17806 of 17818 Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 2,774
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Then all you need is a Sony 1200, which is $60 new on Amazon, or $35 used/refurb. I have several of them. The BD picture quality is on par with every other player I've ever seen.
+1
hernanu is offline  
post #17807 of 17818 Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 8,230
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post


Belle and Sebastian
Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance
Commentary or did you think you were in the other thread?
lovinthehd is online now  
post #17808 of 17818 Old Today, 06:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: somewhere in CA
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Then all you need is a Sony 1200, which is $60 new on Amazon, or $35 used/refurb. I have several of them. The BD picture quality is on par with every other player I've ever seen.
Why is everybody recommending Sony player? Is it that good?
darrenchristoper is online now  
post #17809 of 17818 Old Today, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,820
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenchristoper View Post
Why is everybody recommending Sony player? Is it that good?
"Good" is much too strong a word. How about lesser of evils. Of all the cheap brands, Sony has the most streaming apps, biggest feature set and the least reliability issues. Other players excel at different things. In this case the OP asked for good disc performance on the cheap. If he's asked for better DVD performance or HD audio decoding, I'd have said Panny. If he'd asked for Divx playback, I'd have said LG or Samsung.
mdavej is offline  
post #17810 of 17818 Old Today, 10:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: somewhere in CA
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
"Good" is much too strong a word. How about lesser of evils. Of all the cheap brands, Sony has the most streaming apps, biggest feature set and the least reliability issues. Other players excel at different things. In this case the OP asked for good disc performance on the cheap. If he's asked for better DVD performance or HD audio decoding, I'd have said Panny. If he'd asked for Divx playback, I'd have said LG or Samsung.
"lesser of 2 evils"..... from The Master and Commander? LOL......

Not necessarily cheap, my budget is $200. I'm not gonna buy a $60 player because of the "plastic" quality.
darrenchristoper is online now  
post #17811 of 17818 Old Today, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenchristoper View Post
Why is everybody recommending Sony player? Is it that good?
I have had excellent performance and reliability with Sony players . . 3 different models. I've also had excellent experience with Panasonic. I would most certainly classify them as "Good". However, my use and concerns are very focused on quality audio/video playback of 2D blu-rays. I don't use them for DVDs or streaming.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #17812 of 17818 Old Today, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,820
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenchristoper View Post
"lesser of 2 evils"..... from The Master and Commander? LOL......

Not necessarily cheap, my budget is $200. I'm not gonna buy a $60 player because of the "plastic" quality.
I remember that joke, "lesser of two weevils"
mdavej is offline  
post #17813 of 17818 Old Today, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eljr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Futuristic London
Posts: 4,926
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 2189
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

You get an Oppo if in addition to top bluray and DVD play, the video processing of cable boxes, media players or streaming services (which are also processed by the Oppo) is important to you..
Exactly, even my cable box runs though the 105.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
eljr is offline  
post #17814 of 17818 Old Today, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
Exactly, even my cable box runs though the 105.
If a person is in the market to spend $1300 on a blu-ray player, I'm sure the 105 is worthy of strong consideration . . .

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #17815 of 17818 Old Today, 07:54 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What is a good blu ray player that will decode DTS-HD-MA, and TrueHD, and output all the channels? Anything out there under $200 with those features?

I was looking at the Sony s5200, but apparently it only outputs 2 channel?
DriverDivots is offline  
post #17816 of 17818 Unread Today, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 8,230
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDivots View Post
What is a good blu ray player that will decode DTS-HD-MA, and TrueHD, and output all the channels? Anything out there under $200 with those features?

I was looking at the Sony s5200, but apparently it only outputs 2 channel?

Via analog it probably has only 2 channel output, by HDMI it will have 7.1.
lovinthehd is online now  
post #17817 of 17818 Unread Today, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Via analog it probably has only 2 channel output, by HDMI it will have 7.1.
Unless you get an Oppo, but that's not under $200.
80sGuy is online now  
post #17818 of 17818 Unread Today, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 8,290
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3436 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDivots View Post
What is a good blu ray player that will decode DTS-HD-MA, and TrueHD, and output all the channels? Anything out there under $200 with those features?

I was looking at the Sony s5200, but apparently it only outputs 2 channel?
Sony's goin' down, big "blu-ray" time. ...The irony, the horror. ...And 3D Disney's goin' down too, big "3D comic" time.

Stuff from the past is better than today's stuff. ...Some of it for sure.

♦ For what you lookin' for, check Samsung BR players.
NorthSky is online now  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off