OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 595 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #17821 of 17832 Old Today, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDivots View Post
What is a good blu ray player that will decode DTS-HD-MA, and TrueHD, and output all the channels? Anything out there under $200 with those features?

I was looking at the Sony s5200, but apparently it only outputs 2 channel?
Sony will bitstream the Dolby/DTS 5.1 core tracks which is all you need for a 5.1 soundbar. Otherwise, get a Panasonic player. Many are under $200. Anything but the 91 should work for lossless over PCM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17822 of 17832 Old Today, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Sony will bitstream the Dolby/DTS 5.1 core tracks which is all you need for a 5.1 soundbar. Otherwise, get a Panasonic player. Many are under $200. Anything but the 91 should work for lossless over PCM.
It'll work even though my system only decodes DD and DD+? Also, it's the soundbar, and the 2 rear speakers.

I'm still new to this, but what I've gathered thus far is bitstreaming is a way of sending it to have the receiver do the decoding correct? I'm thinking I need the blu ray player to decode everything. Is that PCM?

I'm looking at the samsung F5700 now. It's hard to tell if it does the decoding to all channels.
Any other recommendation on players??
post #17823 of 17832 Old Today, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
It'll work even though my system only decodes DD and DD+? Also, it's the soundbar, and the 2 rear speakers.

I'm still new to this, but what I've gathered thus far is bitstreaming is a way of sending it to have the receiver do the decoding correct? I'm thinking I need the blu ray player to decode everything. Is that PCM?

I'm looking at the samsung F5700 now. It's hard to tell if it does the decoding to all channels.
If you have a surround sound system that can decode DD but not DTS, what you want is a BD player that converts DTS to DD and passes that to your system as a bitstream. The Samsung F5700 & above will do that for bluray discs but not for USB media. Don't know about Sony.

If you are going to use the F5700 to stream movies, I would suggest spending a few dollars more for the F5900. You can not add internet apps to the F5700 (so no Amazon Instant video ever), but you can with the F5900.
post #17824 of 17832 Old Today, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:

I understand the desire for HD audio, but you're not going to notice any difference with a sound bar. Any player will bitstream DD/DTS 5.1 for your system to decode. In the specs, it also says it decodes DTS, so you're all set, no matter what player you get.

If you must have HD audio, then yes, you need a player that will decode and output PCM 5.1 at least, not downmix like Sony. I'd argue you don't need that for your system.

Others will have to address the Samsung questions.
post #17825 of 17832 Old Today, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz1der View Post
I have searched for the past 45 minutes " no streaming" plain, no wifi, etc, to no avail. I have read about 30 pages of the help me buy a blu ray player thread.

I'm just looking for the best picture quality player i can get for under 100.00 that has no apps, wifi, streaming etc. Just plain vanilla blu-ray player.

Do they even still exist without some sort of streaming apps?

Ive been away for awhile (2006), jvc dvd, athena speakers, etc, but I am starting to get back into upgrading everything, and AVS was my first stop!

Thanks!
Unfortunately, no such limited-function device exists, although some players have fewer functions and/or provide much cruder user interfaces than others. If you don't want to use them, you can just not connect the player to the network.

Panasonic tends to provide the most video quality adjustments, FWIW, while Sony has better network apps. Those are the two brands most often recommended here.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #17826 of 17832 Old Today, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Unless you get an Oppo, but that's not under $200.
No the question was about a Sony unit. Don't know why I would want 7 ch analog output either since I'd have more options with digital output.

PS Just saw Selden's answer...didn't know they dumbed down from the 5100....at least I think I can output multi ch pcm on my 5100....have to go look!

Last edited by lovinthehd; Today at 01:12 PM.
post #17827 of 17832 Old Today, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
No the question was about a Sony unit. Don't know why I would want 7 ch analog output either since I'd have more options with digital output.

PS Just saw Selden's answer...didn't know they dumbed down from the 5100....at least I think I can output multi ch pcm on my 5100....have to go look!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Via analog it probably has only 2 channel output, by HDMI it will have 7.1.
Again, to answer your question; the Sony S5200 DOES NOT have 2-Channel Analog outputs, except for an Oppo. As for the multiple analog out, you get higher decibel for (CD) music listening - especially in 2.0 stereo.
post #17828 of 17832 Old Today, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Again, to answer your question; the Sony S5200 DOES NOT have 2-Channel Analog outputs, except for an Oppo. As for the multiple analog out, you get higher decibel for (CD) music listening - especially in 2.0 stereo.
Wasn't my question. Analog outputs I never use anyways, even on my cd player. Didn't know about the input level difference between various outputs on your Oppo, though.
post #17829 of 17832 Old Today, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll continue my search on picking the correct blu ray player for my system.
post #17830 of 17832 Old Today, 05:53 PM

Am I missing something here?
Samsung F5900 is the older model, seems to be discontinued?
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...0721140817496/[BD-F5900-ZA]AK68-02285N-05ENG_BM-0717.pdf
Page 62

The manual shows it does PCM up to 7.1 channels.

The newer model... HF900 only does PCM 2 channels???
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...ZA_1601_BK.pdf
Page 12

Are they trying to take away the ability for players to decode DTS HD MA and output 7.1??
post #17831 of 17832 Old Today, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...0721140817496/[BD-F5900-ZA]AK68-02285N-05ENG_BM-0717.pdf
Page 62

Page 12

Are they trying to take away the ability for players to decode DTS HD MA and output 7.1??
They (the movie studios) only care about limiting our flexibility in using our players to fit our systems and flexibility needs. Their (the movie studios sitting on the Blu-Ray rules group like a gorilla on a banana) obsession with DRM forces the elimination of most connections beyond HDMI. It is ridiculous, accomplishes little and only serves to limit the acceptance of blu-ray in the consumer marketplace with absolutely no benefit to the movie studios, but they are too stupid or stubborn to accept that!
hernanu and lovinthehd like this.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #17832 of 17832 Old Today, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Page 62

Page 12

The problem seems to be that the "low price" player manufacturers simply are implementing severe cost containment measures. The license costs for two-channel decoders are less than the costs for 7.1 channel decoders. Since modern receivers and pre/pros can decode all of the audio formats, the players don't really have to. Unless, that is, you want to hear the secondary audio tracks that are only on a very few discs.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com