OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 597 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #17881 of 17891 Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 34
When are the new Panasonic players coming out? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17882 of 17891 Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Blu-Ray Player with metadata Art-enabled DLNA?

So my Denon AVR's DLNA player is actually pretty damn good with the iPhone Denon app. It shows album/artist art, and it can even browse my movie collection and show the poster art for all my movies. It's fast, and easy to navigate too. Win!

The only catch is, it won't play videos. If only it had video codecs in it to play movies, and a Netflix app, I wouldn't need a streaming device at all.

So, my question is...

Is there a Blu-Ray player out there that has a DLNA player that shows metadata art?

I really like Samsung's GUI of starting up the DLNA player, but it doesn't show metadata art, and trying to seek (they call it 'jump') through a video file causes major lip sync issues. Did they even test the damn thing? You gotta be kidding me!

It's also a tad bit slow to load large libraries - the GUI locks up until the entire folder loads. This is nearly deal killer for me.

I also find it obnoxious that for most of these DLNA players, you navigate to a 'Video', 'Music' or 'Pictures' option, and then you have to browse a 'Video', 'Music' or 'Pictures' DLNA folder. I just CHOSE 'Video', dummy! They really need a better software engineer writing this code.

Google search on the forums turned up nothing too helpful.
post #17883 of 17891 Old Today, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I find DLNA to fall flat in a lot of areas. It's a nice idea but in practice it's sorely lacking, and depends so much on your network and all your devices. I have gone over whole hog to a NAS solution and I never looked back. I know this is an answer to a question you didn't really ask but I would strongly suggest putting your money into setting up a storage server, either using a commercial NAS product like Synology or QNap or even WD MyCloud, and then you can look for a player that supports SMB/NFS, or you can get a small appliance and put either Kodi or Plex or something on it to pull the streams. Of course that is a major investment but so worth it I think. I have a 5-disk Synology box where I keep all my video, music and photos, as well as any other files that I might want to access from different devices, and I have a low-end Intel NUC appliance running OpenElec. It does everything flawlessly, without any delays or fuss at all. It automatically grabs metadata, descriptions, and cover art just by looking at the file/folder names.

Anyway, I don't have enough knowledge to answer your actual question, but here's what I found:

Best DLNA supported Blu-ray players?

And, just for reference, maybe check the reviews on this list:
http://wwv.crutchfield.com/fg_279850...c-Players.html for details on DLNA performance

Google returns a LOT of Sony players, but I don't know if that's because Sony does DLNA well, or because they do it badly. Sometimes a lot of search results means a lot of issues!
post #17884 of 17891 Old Today, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.

NAS is just a storage location. Sounds like you're recommending OpenELEC and a HTPC (NUC) for a source? I'd like to combine a BluRay player and streamer into one. It should have Netflix at the very least, too (ideally a rental service, like Vudu, also). Sounds like yours doesn't have BluRay? What about Netflix or Vudu?

If I wanted a separate source device from BluRay, I'd just get a Roku and call it done.

Last edited by Lindahl; Today at 08:05 AM.
post #17885 of 17891 Old Today, 08:10 AM

Well, that's my own setup. I'm just recommending SMB/NFS as an alternative to DLNA, however you do it. Some BR players support it. I know the Oppos do. In fact, the Oppo, even an older model, will do both DLNA and Samba very well, as well as Netflix and Vudu. And any PC can set up as a server with a little futzing. But there may be less expensive options too.

** Edit:
As others suggested to me just a few posts back, most blu ray players are limited in their streaming capability, and you have to get lucky to find one that does everything you want. A roku box or stick could be the answer.

Last edited by bustamelon; Today at 08:14 AM.
post #17886 of 17891 Old Today, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
NAS is just a storage location. Sounds like you're recommending OpenELEC and a HTPC for a source? I'd like to combine a BluRay player and streamer into one. It should have Netflix at the very least, too (ideally a rental service, like Vudu, also). Sounds like yours doesn't have BluRay? What about Netflix or Vudu?

If I wanted a separate source device from BluRay, I'd just get a Roku and call it done.
It is a storage location, but most NAS implementations come with DLNA servers.

If you're looking for the best solution, I'd say look at the Oppos if the money (5-600 for the basic, 1200 for the enhanced analog output version). is ok for you.

The Oppos (I have the original 83 and the 103D) have been doing DLNA for a while, first as pull clients (only access DLNA through the client in the player), but the 10X models also act as DLNA renderers, so you can push content to it without using the onscreen interface.

So an application like JRiver can allow selection of what you want to play and push to the Oppo for processing and display; control can be done on a tablet, phone or PC. It also can access SMB volumes on PCs or a NAS (it's how I play everything on my NAS).

It's been reported by some that the latest update also allows NFS access, I haven't seen / tried that yet.

They also have many other features, but their DLNA implementation is very good.

I have plenty of MKV movie files that play well, it has some good streaming apps (Netflix, VUDU) which it applies its internal video processing to, some good sound apps (Pandora, etc.) but is missing Amazon. The streaming on it is handled very well.

Last edited by hernanu; Today at 08:15 AM.
post #17887 of 17891 Old Today, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Related to the above discussion. Are there any blu ray players that have Plex?

I have a NAS and the biggest quality of use change I ever made was switching from DLNA to Plex and never looking back.
post #17888 of 17891 Old Today, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre08 View Post

I have a NAS and the biggest quality of use change I ever made was switching from DLNA to Plex and never looking back.
I know they exist, just not sure which ones. A google search seems to bring up a lot of Samsung results. And the Plex website shows Samsung and LG in the peppering of partner logs at the bottom of the page.... but that may be smart TVs only.
post #17889 of 17891 Old Today, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Internal cleaning sometimes helps. Dust and bits of fluff can become attached to the lasers and cause trouble.

-Bill
I did not take the machine apart to use an air can, etc., but I did use a good cleaning disk -- no effect. Since we use the player a lot, I have the feeling that the blue laser system (or the laser itself) may be reaching end of life.
post #17890 of 17891 Old Today, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre08 View Post

I had the opposite experience with Plex. It seems to transcode everything, whether it needs it or not. Serviio, OTOH, would stream native, resulting in much higher quality. In my experience, Plex is great for streaming to phones and tablets, but to other devices, not so much. Plex also eats up a lot of CPU cycles with all that transcoding, pushing some of my servers to their limit, especially when I'm trying to stream 6 channels of MPEG2 live TV at the same time. No thanks.
post #17891 of 17891 Old Today, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I had the opposite experience with Plex. It seems to transcode everything, whether it needs it or not. Serviio, OTOH, would stream native, resulting in much higher quality. In my experience, Plex is great for streaming to phones and tablets, but to other devices, not so much. Plex also eats up a lot of CPU cycles with all that transcoding, pushing some of my servers to their limit, especially when I'm trying to stream 6 channels of MPEG2 live TV at the same time. No thanks.

Yeah, Plex really needs a 'disable transcoding' option - you can use a low power NAS though to forcefully disable transcoding. Serviio has that option as a preference though. However, Its metadata DLNA implementation compared to Plex's DLNA implementation is pretty bad though. It can't even pull the genre or title out of the metadata, much less the artwork.

The more expensive Samsung players have the 'Samsung SmartHub' feature that has a PLEX app you can add. I plan on checking this out shortly. I don't think LG has anythig just yet. Vizio TVs have a PLEX app. Too bad they don't make BluRay players, still.

Last edited by Lindahl; Today at 10:41 AM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com