OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 601 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #18001 of 18013 Old 03-24-2015, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
The BX320 is better (adds wifi and includes an HDMI cable) and cheaper at $65 on Amazon. It's the twin of the BDP-S3200.

Aerumas, how will you be playing your MKV's, from USB, network share or NAS, or DLNA, and would that be wired or wifi? Sony won't do network shares. And streaming 1:1 BD rips can be a challenge over wifi. Any need for 3D or 4K upscaling? I assume you don't care about DVD upconversion either, correct? And I assume your AVR can handle all HD audio decoding. Sony won't do that either.
I'm going to do most of my playing via USB, but I may not want to limit myself to that and not have network play available. No real 3D, 4K upscaling, or DVD upconversion need. Yes my AVR can handle HD audio decoding. Thanks for the heads up. If I do want network shares play, do you have a recommendation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18002 of 18013 Old 03-24-2015, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking for a good DVD upscaling Blu Ray player. I have a Panasonic 220 that I like and I also have an Oppo BD 83 that I love. I don't want to spend more than $200 though. This doesn't need to be 3D or 4K capable and won't be needed to play anything but DVDs and Blu Rays. I was looking at the Panasonic BD91 but it doesn't appear to have a front display. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Stace
post #18003 of 18013 Old 03-24-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerumas View Post
I'm going to do most of my playing via USB, but I may not want to limit myself to that and not have network play available. No real 3D, 4K upscaling, or DVD upconversion need. Yes my AVR can handle HD audio decoding. Thanks for the heads up. If I do want network shares play, do you have a recommendation?
Network shares is a two edged sword. Just about the only affordable player that does it is Panasonic. But it barely supports any file formats, basically only MPEG2 and MKV. On the other hand, Sony and others, don't support shares but do support DLNA and just about every file format. So unless you have some sort of medical condition that makes you unable to use DLNA, I highly recommend you go that route instead of network shares. If you want no limits, then open your wallet and get an Oppo.
post #18004 of 18013 Old 03-24-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlehman View Post
I'm looking for a good DVD upscaling Blu Ray player. I have a Panasonic 220 that I like and I also have an Oppo BD 83 that I love. I don't want to spend more than $200 though. This doesn't need to be 3D or 4K capable and won't be needed to play anything but DVDs and Blu Rays. I was looking at the Panasonic BD91 but it doesn't appear to have a front display. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Stace
Many of the x60 series of Panisonic has a front display. It's not going to be much different than your 220 though. Why are you looking to replace it?
post #18005 of 18013 Old 03-24-2015, 12:00 PM
Kpj

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wasn't aware of Hollywood wanting to kill off analog signals due to piracy; that sucks.

I have roughly 6 TVs that I use. From a Samsung F8500 and Panny ZT60 to widescreen HDTV CRTs from the mid 2000s. Some have HDMI, some have DVI & some only have S-Video/Component. I want a player to work on multiple sets, hence my need for legacy connectors.

I've seen many 2012/2013 BRPs that have Component, along with Composite. If the hi-def signal doesn't transmit over yellow RCA, then why didn't they include S-Video as well? Makes no sense to me as I have a lot of game systems using S-Video and still enjoy that interface.

Seems to be the same story with AVRs, they're killing off all of the old connectors as well.

I know my requests are odd as I'm probably in the minority that uses a lot of old tech (mini-disc, laserdisc, etc), but I'm stubborn and want/need a player that has more than just HDMI.

I guess my search continues....
post #18006 of 18013 Old 03-24-2015, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
Sony; do they provide good customer support when their Blu-ray players can't no longer connect to the Internet (Wi-Fi)*, and that you have no more access to all your apps?
...About Panasonic; are they more helpful? ...Samsung?

I know that Oppo is the best in that regard. ...And that, in my book, is worth the premium.

* The Network connection is just fine, right, but all your apps cannot connect: "An error has occurred" ...that one was one of the most frustrating ever, and on Sony's forums it was even worst to read all the troubled customers and without direct Sony's support.

I think Sony is great, but I also think they are slowly sinking. ...Certainly from what I've been reading recently, and experiencing myself too.
Still, there are good people working for Sony, and to help you out; you just have to find them out, that's all.

Anyway, Sony and Samsung Blu-ray players (Samsung in particular) offer a lot for little money, I think.
If you like Blu-ray movies; Samsung is good.
If you like movie/music files; Samsung is also good.
If you like gaming; PS4 might be your player.

If all you want to do is stream and download, get Apple Mac. ...Or wait for Windows 10, in case they come up with some' good.

But the best BR player is Oppo. It does stuff no other one does. ...Their latest Series, and with their latest firmwares.

And if you want the very latest hi-tech one; it's not here yet...4K. ...Ultra High Definition Universe Blu-ray player.
post #18007 of 18013 Old 03-24-2015, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is it okay to connect an upscaling Blu-ray to an upscaling UHD TV ? Will there be a better picture than connecting a standard Blu-ray to an upscaling UHD ?
post #18008 of 18013 Old 03-24-2015, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 75
PeninsulaMark, Either the player needs to upscale to 4K (if it's capable), or the 4K display will do so. Which does a better job at upscaling is impossible to know without trying it both ways and seeing for yourself. If you get a player that cannot upscale to 4K, then your 4K display will do the upscaling automatically, for better or for worse.
post #18009 of 18013 Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Liked: 10
Looking for a recommendation here.

Scenario is bedroom TV, with a Roku stick. So that means reference picture quality or wifi/apps isn't priority #1 . I have an Oppo103 in the main room for any critical viewing.

I just want something reliable and fairly quick. I'm currently using a ~1 Phillips unit that does the job OK but often locks up during playback, is slow to respond etc. Most recent firmware is installed.

<$100 and in this scenario cheaper would be better. Right now looking at a Samsung BD-H5100 refurb unit on that big online retailer that is ~$50 unless there are other suggestions. Thanks!
post #18010 of 18013 Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I'd probably go with one of the less expensive Sony or Panasonic models.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #18011 of 18013 Old Today, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Many of the x60 series of Panisonic has a front display. It's not going to be much different than your 220 though. Why are you looking to replace it?
I'm looking to replace a Toshiba with something similar to the 220. The Toshiba is a piece of junk. I don't want to spend a lot but enough to avoid another paper weight.

Thanks

Stace
post #18012 of 18013 Old Today, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I has a Toshiba too, for a few minutes. Worst player ever made. Anything you choose will be a huge improvement. If you like the 220 on paper, go for it. But a new 360 will be faster. I think it has a display, but you'll have to confirm. I can't read the display anyway, so it's not usually a requirement for me. I just check the onscreen display as needed.
post #18013 of 18013 Old Today, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
I has a Toshiba too, for a few minutes. Worst player ever made. Anything you choose will be a huge improvement. If you like the 220 on paper, go for it. But a new 360 will be faster. I think it has a display, but you'll have to confirm. I can't read the display anyway, so it's not usually a requirement for me. I just check the onscreen display as needed.
Yes, the 360 from Panasonic has a display. One issue with my 2013 Panasonic 230 is that when watching DVDs I noticed that with fast-action animation, such as lip movements, you'll see jagged lines unless you change the Progressive setting from the default of Auto to Video. And unfortunately, at least on the 230, you can't enable it and forget it. So every time I watch a DVD I have to manually change it, which is annoying. Does anyone know if the 360 corrected that issue?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , dvd player , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page