OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 602 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #18031 of 18052 Old 04-10-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Thanks, very helpful replies.

Writing a book - it seemed reasonable. I introduced the system I have and will use the new player with. That established perspective. I established a special potential need in a Region Free Player. I listed the BluRay I was considering. Then ended with a list of questions. Seem pretty straight forward. As I said at the top, a quick skim would probably give readers everything they need to address my concerns.

The Expensive Oppo 103D - I truly would love this player, but it is $500 or a bit more, vs $130 for the 3D/4k Sony. That's a considerable difference. Although the Region Free Sony is $239. Especially since I don't really need the Universal Aspect. I already have players that can play CDs. And especially since it would take me a while to save up that money. My old car broke down and had to buy a new one, that depleted my cash reserves substantially.

220-Electronics - Region Free - good to know others have done business here. I will check out the Region Free BluRay thread. Thanks for the link.

4k - UHD TV - No I don't have one now, but the possibility exists in the future. Vizio has a 50" for about $800 4k-UHD. That's potentially affordable. I would want it more for the Upscaling than actual 4k-UHD content.

Edited the original Post - Hopefully that will help people cut to the chase.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply. I tend to keep my equipment a long time, so in the interim I sort of lose touch with what is the best equipment out there.

Thanks again, it really is appreciated.

Steve/bluewizard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18032 of 18052 Old 04-10-2015, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 216
If you don't have 4K, I would cut out the 4K scaling and wait for UHD players to come out later in the year. Are you using HDMI for audio and video?

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #18033 of 18052 Old 04-10-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Most people don't want to read a book.
Nobody needs to read the entire thread. You simply post what you're looking for at the end of the "book" and then read the responses.
post #18034 of 18052 Old 04-10-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
If you don't have 4K, I would cut out the 4K scaling and wait for UHD players to come out later in the year. Are you using HDMI for audio and video?

S~
HDMI Audio and Video for movies, but that feeds into my TV, then it is Optical Out from the TV to my Stereo.

But analog out of my Universal Players for music.

I guess in short, I just need some sense of what are consistently reliable and high quality BluRay Players. The Sony seem nice, they have the video enhancement, though I don't know how well it works, and I don't know how dependable they are. I've read reviews that they can lock up, but I've read that about just about every BluRay player except perhaps the OPPO.

As to buy now, buy later. I tend to keep my equipment for a long time. Though not currently in use, I still have the stereo I bought in 1978, and still use the turntable I bought in the same year. So, if I buy a non-4K player, I will have it for a very long time. Though I will probably be equally as long before I can afford a 4K TV.

I'm still unsure about the Region Free/PAL->NTSC player, I do frequently find movies in PAL or non-Region-1 format that I would like to see.

Again, on this issue, it is the reliability and longevity of the players that concerns me.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 04-10-2015 at 06:27 PM.
post #18035 of 18052 Old 04-11-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
Again, on this issue, it is the reliability and longevity of the players that concerns me.

Steve/bluewizard
Please remember that most relatively inexpensive players (those listing less than several hundred $) use the cheapest disc drives available. If you play many discs, they don't last long.

Unfortunately, the intrinsic design of BDs means that BD players have built-in obsolescence. Studios keep coming up with new recording methods to try to foil pirates, causing most players to need to have their firmware updated frequently. Few manufacturers provide firmware updates for a given model for more than two or three years. While some older players have managed not to need firmware updates for most titles, you can't be sure of that continuing to be the case.

That's why many people simply get the cheapest player that has most of the playback features they want, and plan to replace it in a couple of years. You can spend more for name-brand players (like Denon/Marantz or Oppo) to get higher quality mechanical designs, but they still have the firmware limitations.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #18036 of 18052 Old 04-11-2015, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Until recently, even Oppo used exactly the same cheap drives as everyone else. If you get a loud one, just exchange it. The next one will probably be fine. Mass also has a lot to do with it. Heavier players are going to be quieter.
post #18037 of 18052 Old 04-11-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked: 1619
Great post from Selden just above. ...And so very true.
post #18038 of 18052 Old 04-11-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Please remember that most relatively inexpensive players (those listing less than several hundred $) use the cheapest disc drives available. If you play many discs, they don't last long.

That's why many people simply get the cheapest player that has most of the playback features they want, and plan to replace it in a couple of years. You can spend more for name-brand players (like Denon/Marantz or Oppo) to get higher quality mechanical designs, but they still have the firmware limitations.
Kind of sad really. I'm interested in quality playback of both DVD and BluRay. Generally I want high quality audio but that is less of a concern if I'm not buying a Universal Player. MY existing players will work fine for non-video disc playback.

Currently at Walmart, the 50" Vizio 4k-UHD Smart TV (P502ui-B1F) is available for $750, that's getting down into the territory where I could afford a UHD-4k TV, especially considering I paid $695 for the 42" Vizio I have now. So, though it would take some wheeling and dealing conceivably in a year or two, I could afford that TV, and would want an Upscaling Player.

Given that you can buy a BluRay in the vicinity of $50, I'm thinking a player for $150 must be pretty good. If my budget is $200 or less, It would seem that I should be able to get a pretty fair player. ...it would seem....

The Sony has the Triluminos video enhancement, so that is a plus, but I have also heard that its DVD Upscaling is less than stellar.

Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and wait a year, and hope I can find the money for the OPPO 103D. But, if my family knew the kind of money I was spending on audio and video equipment, they would have me committed, and I spend far far far less than a lot of people.

One problem I have is that in the rural area I live in, it is extremely difficult to sell of used equipment. Most people don't think beyond what is available at Walmart.

The main thing I am looking for is consistent reliable performance, and a Player that stays up-to-date for an extended period of time.

Thanks to all who have replied.

Steve/bluewizard
post #18039 of 18052 Old 04-12-2015, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Unfortunately, the intrinsic design of BDs means that BD players have built-in obsolescence. Studios keep coming up with new recording methods to try to foil pirates, causing most players to need to have their firmware updated frequently. Few manufacturers provide firmware updates for a given model for more than two or three years. While some older players have managed not to need firmware updates for most titles, you can't be sure of that continuing to be the case.

Yes, I just pulled out a Oppo 093 as I have put in an Atmos upgrade and this unit won't cut it. I swapped in a Sony 5100 that was used for streaming but it seems to do the trick for Atmos.

I am through with $500 players and need to know where to look for best sound and picture in the <$200 range where I will just replace it as needed without hard feelings.
post #18040 of 18052 Old 04-13-2015, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
Kind of sad really. I'm interested in quality playback of both DVD and BluRay. Generally I want high quality audio but that is less of a concern if I'm not buying a Universal Player. MY existing players will work fine for non-video disc playback.

Currently at Walmart, the 50" Vizio 4k-UHD Smart TV (P502ui-B1F) is available for $750, that's getting down into the territory where I could afford a UHD-4k TV, especially considering I paid $695 for the 42" Vizio I have now. So, though it would take some wheeling and dealing conceivably in a year or two, I could afford that TV, and would want an Upscaling Player.

Given that you can buy a BluRay in the vicinity of $50, I'm thinking a player for $150 must be pretty good. If my budget is $200 or less, It would seem that I should be able to get a pretty fair player. ...it would seem....

The Sony has the Triluminos video enhancement, so that is a plus, but I have also heard that its DVD Upscaling is less than stellar.

Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and wait a year, and hope I can find the money for the OPPO 103D. But, if my family knew the kind of money I was spending on audio and video equipment, they would have me committed, and I spend far far far less than a lot of people.

One problem I have is that in the rural area I live in, it is extremely difficult to sell of used equipment. Most people don't think beyond what is available at Walmart.

The main thing I am looking for is consistent reliable performance, and a Player that stays up-to-date for an extended period of time.

Thanks to all who have replied.

Steve/bluewizard
Some of your requirements don't make sense.

You want high quality audio, yet your other equipment makes that impossible (your TV won't even pass 5.1, much less lossless HD audio over optical). Even a new 4k TV will have the same limitations.

You want triluminos yet have no Sony TV to take advantage of it or plans to ever get one.

You want 4k upscaling, but there is no guarantee that whatever TV you get won't have even better upscaling than any current BD player.

In any case, equating better audio/video quality with price is a fallacy. A $50 player is generally going to have exactly the same picture as a $150 one. The only differences in those cases are build quality and added features.

Technology changes so fast, it makes more sense to buy only what you need today, in this moment. There is no such thing a future proof in consumer electronics. Whatever you get will be replaced by something faster, better and cheaper the next model year. I recommend you stick with a cheap player for now until the rest of your system catches up. Something like an Oppo would be a waste at this point.
post #18041 of 18052 Old 04-13-2015, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

If the Sony BluRay Player has Triluminos, then it should work with any TV, it doesn't need a Sony TV.

As to sound quality, I approached that from two perspectives - 1.) A Universal Player with high quality DACs and Analog Outputs, though the price tag on that is a bit high. 2.) A straight non-universal HDMI only player.

Correct, I have a Stereo system as such I don't need 5.1 outputs. Though I don't get quite BluRay quality, but I do get 24b/48k and that is better than CD quality. With a NEW non-universal player, I will just use my existing Universal Player for CDs.

I project a future need for 4k-UHD Upscaling, and that is one of the decisions I'll have to make; get NON-4k now and buy another player later, or simply buy a 4k player now. The Sony 6200 with OUT Region free is only $129, so not crazy expensive when you consider I paid almost $170 for my existing player which retails for $500. The Sony 5500 is $110, the Sony 6200 with 4k is $129, the $20 difference is not going to bankrupt me. Which means, for that extra $20, I do get some future proofing.

As to buying the cheapest BluRay I can find, that's not going to happen, I want a quality durable product, that is easily up-datable. I already have a ROKU box, so the built-in streaming feature are of limited value to me. I tend NOT to stream music. My computer and Stereo are within sight of each other, so likely if I Stream, I simply Stream from my computer to my computer speakers.

I want a dependable BluRay player for under $200, with top notch video quality, and top notch audio quality FROM MY STEREO.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 04-13-2015 at 03:52 PM.
post #18042 of 18052 Old 04-13-2015, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My understanding is different than yours. Triluminos is a Sony thing, requiring Sony devices to work. Triluminos on a TV is different than a BD player in that it will improve any source.

Why would you need 4k upconversion in both the player and display? Pick one or the other. No need for both. But I agree $20 is cheap insurance since you have no way of know which will do the better job until you try them.

My main point is spending more will mostly buy features you don't need or will never use rather than improve picture quality. If you want to spend $200, that's your business of course, but I think it's a waste. I'd rather buy less expensive players more often and keep up with the latest technology instead of spending big bucks on a player that will be out of date next year. Why not wait a few months and buy an actual 4k player instead of just an upscaling one?
post #18043 of 18052 Old 04-14-2015, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

Yep. Triluminus requires a Sony TV.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #18044 of 18052 Old 04-14-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Yep. Triluminus requires a Sony TV.

S~
Thanks, i wasn't aware of that. In all honesty, that seems stupid. Other players have video enhancement that isn't device independent.

I guess I should have read the fine print -

"3. TRILUMINOS feature requires content with extended color support, an HDMI® cable and a Sony display that also supports the format."

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; Yesterday at 02:57 PM.
post #18045 of 18052 Old 04-14-2015, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I need some help on selecting a new Blu Ray player.

My list of requirements are:

Quiet
Amazon Instant Video, HBO Go & Netflix capable
Play music cds
HDMI out
3D
Flat top (preferably regular old component sized) - but at least be able to allow a old style Playstation 3 to sit on top of it. Not sure why Sony insists on the odd pyramid top on all of theirs
Not too expensive (ideally less than $200)

Thanks.

~Bill
post #18046 of 18052 Old 04-14-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've never seen a BD player with HBOGO, so I think you're out of luck. Have you considered a Roku?

Latest Sony models are flat top. You're thinking of last year and the year before.

EDIT: Wiki confirms no BD players have HBOGO besides some game consoles. Since you have a PS3, already, you could use that for HBO.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HBO_Go#..._and_providers

As for a player big enough to set a PS3 on top of, look at the higher end Panasonic, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc. Most any mid to high end player meets your other requirements.

Last edited by mdavej; 04-14-2015 at 02:50 PM.
post #18047 of 18052 Old 04-14-2015, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

I would also not put anything on top of these BD players. Besides, most are smaller than the game consoles.

S~

post #18048 of 18052 Old 04-15-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Most people don't want to read a book.
Let alone one with odd spacing and excessive use of fonts and bullets.
post #18049 of 18052 Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Bluray recommendation for screen saver during Disc Menu

I am looking for a bluray player that will turn on a screen saver if a disc menu gets left on for an undetermined amount of time.

I bought the Samsung bd-h5100 based on a Best Buy recommendation. It does not support screen savers.
I returned and bought the Samsung bd-h5900 based on Samsung recommendation. It doesn't support screen saver during disc menu, only if the player menu gets left on will the screen saver kick in. Needless to say I return the H5900.

I recently bought a new but discontinued LG 50" plasma TV (50PB6600) for my basement. and my kids left on a Dora disc menu for too long, there is a little image retention which I am hoping will disappear in time it is faint. But I would like to come up with a solution so I don't need to worry about it when I'm at work.

So I am looking for a player that will turn on a screen saver if a disc menu gets left on by accident.

Am I SOL?
post #18050 of 18052 Old Today, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_col View Post
I am looking for a bluray player that will turn on a screen saver if a disc menu gets left on for an undetermined amount of time.

I bought the Samsung bd-h5100 based on a Best Buy recommendation. It does not support screen savers.
I returned and bought the Samsung bd-h5900 based on Samsung recommendation. It doesn't support screen saver during disc menu, only if the player menu gets left on will the screen saver kick in. Needless to say I return the H5900.

I recently bought a new but discontinued LG 50" plasma TV (50PB6600) for my basement. and my kids left on a Dora disc menu for too long, there is a little image retention which I am hoping will disappear in time it is faint. But I would like to come up with a solution so I don't need to worry about it when I'm at work.

So I am looking for a player that will turn on a screen saver if a disc menu gets left on by accident.

Am I SOL?
Many players these days will go to standby, so that should be as good as a screen saver. I think my Sony players do this. Check in the Sony threads to confirm.
post #18051 of 18052 Old Today, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 681
FWIW, several of the Blu-ray calibration discs include a "pixel flipper" option which is intended to help reduce retained images. Disney's "World of Wonder" disc is one such.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #18052 of 18052 Unread Today, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
FWIW, several of the Blu-ray calibration discs include a "pixel flipper" option which is intended to help reduce retained images. Disney's "World of Wonder" disc is one such.

thanks for the tip. i'll look into it
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , dvd player , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page