OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 608 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #18211 of 18227 Old 06-24-2015, 05:37 AM
Senior Member
 
kwerner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Blu-ray with androidTV?

Anyone heard of new Blu-ray players coming out with androidTV? I think this will be the most future-proof/upgradeable "smart" OS/platform with android's popularity. We are looking to get a new UHD TV and if I can get androidTV in a Blu-ray, it would let me go with a bigger and cheaper TV (over 55" Sony with androidTV).
kwerner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18212 of 18227 Old 06-24-2015, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 5,592
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 243
None that I know of.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
teachsac is online now  
post #18213 of 18227 Old 06-24-2015, 07:26 AM
Member
 
hollisavrct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Blu-Ray player ouyput

I own a small TV repair shop and I am looking for a Blu-Ray player with a video output that will match my Accupel DVG-5000 so I can play reference material on it for the customer. J was looking at the Panasonic DMP-BDT360 as it will do 3d also. Has anyone done any test on this player or know of a player that puts out a correct 1080P signal without breaking the bank?

Thanks
hollisavrct
hollisavrct is offline  
post #18214 of 18227 Old 06-24-2015, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 5,592
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 243
For Blu-ray, you would be hard pressed to notice any difference between players. Panasonic and Sony are the two most popular.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
teachsac is online now  
post #18215 of 18227 Old 06-24-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 3,155
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollisavrct View Post
I own a small TV repair shop and I am looking for a Blu-Ray player with a video output that will match my Accupel DVG-5000 so I can play reference material on it for the customer. J was looking at the Panasonic DMP-BDT360 as it will do 3d also. Has anyone done any test on this player or know of a player that puts out a correct 1080P signal without breaking the bank?

Thanks
hollisavrct
The Accupel is hard to match. I assume you'll play bluray and don't want to put it through a lumagen? In other words, are you looking for a bluray as a complete deck or just as a source for something like the Lumagen.

What is breaking the bank? As a self contained unit, you are probably looking at the Oppo 103D for $600.
hernanu is online now  
post #18216 of 18227 Unread 07-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Upgrading Blu-Ray Player with Surround Sound

hello everyone,

i currently have a samsung blu-ray surround sound system, complete with a blu-ray player and surround speakers.
it's about 6 years old now, and the blu-ray player is really struggling to play disks so i'm looking to upgrade it.
i've been looking at new blu-ray players on amazon and all seem to have different connectors for speakers and look like i cannot connect my surround sound speakers to it.

is there a way through this to get new blu-ray players to work with my current speakers? my speakers are fine as they are and all i need upgrading is my blu-ray player.

thank you!
videophile243 is offline  
post #18217 of 18227 Unread 07-02-2015, 03:04 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,591
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by videophile243 View Post
hello everyone,

i currently have a samsung blu-ray surround sound system, complete with a blu-ray player and surround speakers.
it's about 6 years old now, and the blu-ray player is really struggling to play disks so i'm looking to upgrade it.
i've been looking at new blu-ray players on amazon and all seem to have different connectors for speakers and look like i cannot connect my surround sound speakers to it.

is there a way through this to get new blu-ray players to work with my current speakers? my speakers are fine as they are and all i need upgrading is my blu-ray player.

thank you!
Welcome to AVSForum.

Is this a home-theater-in-a-box system? Or are you going through a receiver of some sort? What connections does it have? Or just tell us the model numbers.

-Bill
videophile243 likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #18218 of 18227 Unread 07-04-2015, 02:08 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Welcome to AVSForum.

Is this a home-theater-in-a-box system? Or are you going through a receiver of some sort? What connections does it have? Or just tell us the model numbers.

-Bill
Hi Bill, it's a samsung home-theater-in-a-box with individual cables for each speaker which go into the back of the samsung blu-ray player.

The connections from the speakers to the blu-ray player are like this:
www . touristinformationcentres . net /webshop/images/webshop/305/product/large/ Samsung-Speaker-Wire--wires---cables . jpg

I'm just wondering that if i could ever make use of my speakers again if i was to upgrade my blu-ray player

thanks
videophile243 is offline  
post #18219 of 18227 Unread 07-04-2015, 02:11 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i . imgur . com /sjSxS4A . jpg (remove the gaps, couldnt post a link)
this link may work better
videophile243 is offline  
post #18220 of 18227 Unread 07-04-2015, 04:32 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,591
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by videophile243 View Post
Hi Bill, it's a samsung home-theater-in-a-box with individual cables for each speaker which go into the back of the samsung blu-ray player.

The connections from the speakers to the blu-ray player are like this:
www . touristinformationcentres . net /webshop/images/webshop/305/product/large/ Samsung-Speaker-Wire--wires---cables . jpg

I'm just wondering that if i could ever make use of my speakers again if i was to upgrade my blu-ray player

thanks
Those don't look like the interconnects that standalone players use. But maybe adapters exist?

We have an HTIB forum here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/109-home-theater-box/. Try posting your question there.

It would be REALLY HELPFUL if you provided the model number of your player.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #18221 of 18227 Unread 07-04-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 10,023
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1715 Post(s)
Liked: 2240
@videophile243 You would not likely find a bluray player combined with an integrated amplifier without buying the whole system home-theater-in-a box (htib) with speakers. A stand alone blu ray player is a bit different in that it needs to be connected to a receiver/integrated amp to power the passive speakers.
lovinthehd is online now  
post #18222 of 18227 Unread 07-04-2015, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
bkeeler10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Hey guys,

So I am looking to reallocate my 6-year-old Samsung player to the family room and buy a new one for the HT. I want to take this opportunity to get up to date and add some features I've wanted for a while. I would like the following:

1. SACD support
2. Stream music and movies over my local network (DLNA preferably), for flac and wav files and some DVD/Bluray-sourced content
3. Related to that, a remote control app that makes it easy to browse my collection over my network and play it through the player
4. The highest-quality bluray support, though I expect this will be virtually identical across all players.
5. Streaming services are not terribly important to me, since I currently don't subscribe to any of them. They of course will come with the territory if I insist on all the above features. If the player can do Netflix and Vudu and YouTube, I'm happy.

I know the Oppo players will do all this. However, given the approach of UHD bluray players, I'm not too keen to drop $500 at this point. And they hold their value well enough that I'd probably pay a good $350 for a used 103. The favorites other than that around here seem to be Sony and Panasonic. But it appears that Panasonic doesn't support SACD and perhaps not DLNA either.

So I think I'm left with the Sony. According to the website, the only one that supports playing the SACD layer of SACD discs is the S6500. The 5500 will only play the CD layer. Is that the case?

Also, according to the website, neither of these players will stream flac from the local network over DLNA, although they will do it over USB. I find that strange, since some other file types are supported over DLNA.

Finally, what is the remote control app like? Will it allow you to browse your media on your local network?

I hope I don't have to go to Oppo to get all this, but now I'm a little concerned that I might. TIA.

bkeeler10 is online now  
post #18223 of 18227 Unread 07-04-2015, 09:59 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Are UHD blu ray players going to be different than the 4k upscaling ones such as the Oppo103?

If I am planning on buying a Oppo103, should I hold off and wait for a UHD blu ray player to be available?
Simon Liu is online now  
post #18224 of 18227 Unread Yesterday, 02:59 AM
Senior Member
 
ToonMasterTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Liu View Post
Are UHD blu ray players going to be different than the 4k upscaling ones such as the Oppo103?

If I am planning on buying a Oppo103, should I hold off and wait for a UHD blu ray player to be available?
Yes. They will be different. But you'll also need a 4K TV to take advantage of the higher resolution. Plus, you'll need a TV that supports HDMI 2.0, and eventually HDR, wider color gamut, higher frame rates, etc., and today's 4K TVs don't have those options, except perhaps a few that have an HDMI 2.0 port and may support HDR or other features via a firmware upgrade in the future.

In short, 4K is still in its infancy. There isn't even much content available. And you can bet it will be a slow trickle of 4K Blu-ray content. Anyone jumping in now is an early adopter.

Unless you have a need for the features of an Oppo, you should consider a cheaper consumer player for under $100-$150. Just check out the threads in this forum for advice. The Oppo is mainly for enthusiasts who have greater needs when it comes to audio, or those who just want a well-built, robust player. But you can still get a good player for under $100. It's your money, but it sounds like you are set on making the leap to 4K. If so, you should wait to see what next year brings. As far as I know, only Panasonic has announced a 4K BD player.
ToonMasterTim is offline  
post #18225 of 18227 Unread Yesterday, 04:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,971
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Liu View Post
Are UHD blu ray players going to be different than the 4k upscaling ones such as the Oppo103?
Current players only upscale 1080p content to 4K. The next generation will actually play 4K material.
ToonMasterTim likes this.
BillP is online now  
post #18226 of 18227 Unread Yesterday, 10:15 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
Yes. They will be different. But you'll also need a 4K TV to take advantage of the higher resolution. Plus, you'll need a TV that supports HDMI 2.0, and eventually HDR, wider color gamut, higher frame rates, etc., and today's 4K TVs don't have those options, except perhaps a few that have an HDMI 2.0 port and may support HDR or other features via a firmware upgrade in the future.

In short, 4K is still in its infancy. There isn't even much content available. And you can bet it will be a slow trickle of 4K Blu-ray content. Anyone jumping in now is an early adopter.

Unless you have a need for the features of an Oppo, you should consider a cheaper consumer player for under $100-$150. Just check out the threads in this forum for advice. The Oppo is mainly for enthusiasts who have greater needs when it comes to audio, or those who just want a well-built, robust player. But you can still get a good player for under $100. It's your money, but it sounds like you are set on making the leap to 4K. If so, you should wait to see what next year brings. As far as I know, only Panasonic has announced a 4K BD player.

Thank you very much for you input. I recently bought a Samsung JS8500 and I believe it has a HDMI 2.0 so I may just wait on the 4K blu rays to come out so I can take advantage of the UHD blu ray disks coming soon.
Simon Liu is online now  
post #18227 of 18227 Unread Today, 04:06 PM
Newbie
 
baumgrenze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mid San Francisco Peninsula - Bay side
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Player Recommendations

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/newthr...ewthread&f=149

New Player Recommendations

Our Sony DVP-SR500H gave up last night. We need help in deciding on a replacement and are leaning towards the Samsung BD-H5100 Blu-ray Player. We are open to alternative suggestions.

The SR500H was connected to our Sony KDL-32XBR6 TV using both the HDMI cable and via RCA cables connecting the Audio Out of the DVD player to the Audio In on the TV. Another set of RCA cables connect the Audio Out of the TV to audio inputs on our Technics SA-GX770 receiver originally intended for VCR-1. With the sound turned way down on the TV we could listen to audio either through our speakers or headphones plugged into the jack on the front of the receiver.

Current Blu-ray players no longer include audio out ports. Could we have dispensed with them and just used the HDMI cable to carry the audio to the TV?

Here's how we use our equipment.

We share audio books from the library regularly.

We watch videos from the library less regularly.

We watch TV over-the-air (PBS) a few times a year.

We listen to audio CDs, but less oftun than in the past.

What do you folks recommend?


thanks

baumgrenze
baumgrenze is online now  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , control , dvd player , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , player , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off