OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 610 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #18271 of 18290 Old 07-22-2015, 02:26 PM
Senior Member
 
ToonMasterTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I often read that many here dissuade others from purchasing Samsung BD players, but I have a Samsung F5700 that I really like, and I have had Sony, Panasonic and a PS3. The Samsung starts up quickly. It has a more preferable interface than what I have experienced with other BD players (Sony and Panasonic). And it has played every disc I have put in it so far. Now, that is not to say that my experience speaks to the total quality of their products, but I would suggest considering them. The F5700 is a 2013 player, yet it has the newer Netflix UI. The interface lags a bit, but it starts up in HD quality instantly or soon after starting a Netflix stream. The remote is backlit, too, but I know that the newer model, the J5700, lacks that feature. Just PM me if you have any questions.
ToonMasterTim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18272 of 18290 Old 07-22-2015, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 139
ToonMasterTim, I certainly agree that Samsung products such as their BluRay players have nice features. And their displays have nice PQ. But IMO their reliability and customer service are not as good as other companies. Of course any specific Samsung product could last may years, and any Panny or Sony could break. But if you are playing the odds.....
BillP is online now  
post #18273 of 18290 Old 07-23-2015, 07:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have a Sony x930c with a Marantz Sr7009 and a combination of klipsch KF-28 for the fronts Kc-25 center R15 fort he Sorround back and Rb 61 II for sides i also have the onkio atmos speakers .

Would a UD7007 give me any benefit in terms of PQ and AQ i can get one for $400 and was wondering if it would be worth it to use it instead of my Ps3 and BD player
2pacalypsenow is offline  
post #18274 of 18290 Old 07-24-2015, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 3,181
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pacalypsenow View Post
I have a Sony x930c with a Marantz Sr7009 and a combination of klipsch KF-28 for the fronts Kc-25 center R15 fort he Sorround back and Rb 61 II for sides i also have the onkio atmos speakers .

Would a UD7007 give me any benefit in terms of PQ and AQ i can get one for $400 and was wondering if it would be worth it to use it instead of my Ps3 and BD player
How would you use it? watch mostly bluray, do you use SACD or DVD-Audio, what do you like to stream...

What percentage movies / music?
hernanu is online now  
post #18275 of 18290 Old 07-24-2015, 10:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pacalypsenow View Post
I have a Sony x930c with a Marantz Sr7009 and a combination of klipsch KF-28 for the fronts Kc-25 center R15 fort he Sorround back and Rb 61 II for sides i also have the onkio atmos speakers .

Would a UD7007 give me any benefit in terms of PQ and AQ i can get one for $400 and was wondering if it would be worth it to use it instead of my Ps3 and BD player
How would you use it? watch mostly bluray, do you use SACD or DVD-Audio, what do you like to stream...

What percentage movies / music?
Strictly Blu Rays
2pacalypsenow is offline  
post #18276 of 18290 Old 07-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What blu-ray player do you all use and recommend with the Samsung F8500?

I don't care about any smart features or 3D. Purely a picture quality thing.

I tried playing Thor on my Xbox One and holy **** did it look bad. I'm not sure why it is so bad.

So I pulled my Sony BDP-S360 from my bedroom, which is an old player from 2009, and it looks good again, like I would expect it to.

Is this player fine from a PQ perspective? Or is there another one you would recommend? I've had this player since 2009.
sickkent is offline  
post #18277 of 18290 Old 07-25-2015, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickkent View Post
What blu-ray player do you all use and recommend with the Samsung F8500?

I don't care about any smart features or 3D. Purely a picture quality thing.

I tried playing Thor on my Xbox One and holy **** did it look bad. I'm not sure why it is so bad.

So I pulled my Sony BDP-S360 from my bedroom, which is an old player from 2009, and it looks good again, like I would expect it to.

Is this player fine from a PQ perspective? Or is there another one you would recommend? I've had this player since 2009.
PQ with all BluRay players will be pretty much the same over HDMI. If you don't need extra features, the old Sony is fine. You may want to check that you have the latest firmware.
BillP is online now  
post #18278 of 18290 Old 07-26-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 3,181
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pacalypsenow View Post
I have a Sony x930c with a Marantz Sr7009 and a combination of klipsch KF-28 for the fronts Kc-25 center R15 fort he Sorround back and Rb 61 II for sides i also have the onkio atmos speakers .

Would a UD7007 give me any benefit in terms of PQ and AQ i can get one for $400 and was wondering if it would be worth it to use it instead of my Ps3 and BD player
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
How would you use it? watch mostly bluray, do you use SACD or DVD-Audio, what do you like to stream...

What percentage movies / music?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pacalypsenow View Post
Strictly Blu Rays
Depends on what your bluray player can do. If either it or the PS3 can bitstream Dolby TrueHD, then you have Atmos support. If you want a more modern player, a less expensive player that can bitstream to your receiver, that will work well.

So stay with what you have and let the display upscale to 4K. Otherwise, looks like you're good. No need for a universal player like the UD7007. Save your money for a 4K bluray player, if you want to drop 400+ ... and then look Oppo (IMO).
hernanu is online now  
post #18279 of 18290 Old 07-26-2015, 08:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Depends on what your bluray player can do. If either it or the PS3 can bitstream Dolby TrueHD, then you have Atmos support. If you want a more modern player, a less expensive player that can bitstream to your receiver, that will work well.

So stay with what you have and let the display upscale to 4K. Otherwise, looks like you're good. No need for a universal player like the UD7007. Save your money for a 4K bluray player, if you want to drop 400+ ... and then look Oppo (IMO).
cool thanks for the info i will just wait on the 4k players
2pacalypsenow is offline  
post #18280 of 18290 Old 07-27-2015, 07:58 AM
Member
 
DeePDiSHeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pacalypsenow View Post
cool thanks for the info i will just wait on the 4k players
I'm in the same boat. I think my PS3 will hold me over till the 4k players come out.
ToonMasterTim likes this.
DeePDiSHeD is online now  
post #18281 of 18290 Old 08-01-2015, 10:00 PM
Senior Member
 
orcrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I own a Samsung BD-H5900 Bluray player. I have an opportunity to purchase an Oppo 103 for $350. I don't own any SACD discs but thought I might purchase some if I had a universal player. For the most part I use the player to watch movies. I have all my CDs ripped onto my computer and stream them from there. Should I consider this or just stick with my current player?
orcrone is offline  
post #18282 of 18290 Old 08-02-2015, 04:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcrone View Post
I own a Samsung BD-H5900 Bluray player. I have an opportunity to purchase an Oppo 103 for $350. I don't own any SACD discs but thought I might purchase some if I had a universal player. For the most part I use the player to watch movies. I have all my CDs ripped onto my computer and stream them from there. Should I consider this or just stick with my current player?
You won't see any difference for BluRay movies. Maybe a slight improvement in upscaled DVDs. So the main "upgrade" would be for SACDs, as you state. IMO, the Oppo has greater reliability and the company has better customer service (although if you're buying it used, I'm not sure the warranty policy).
BillP is online now  
post #18283 of 18290 Old 08-02-2015, 05:29 AM
Senior Member
 
orcrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
You won't see any difference for BluRay movies. Maybe a slight improvement in upscaled DVDs. So the main "upgrade" would be for SACDs, as you state. IMO, the Oppo has greater reliability and the company has better customer service (although if you're buying it used, I'm not sure the warranty policy).
Unfortunately there's no warranty on resales.
orcrone is offline  
post #18284 of 18290 Old 08-02-2015, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 139
orcrone, it comes down to whether you think you want to get into SACDs. If not, I would just keep your fairly new player.
BillP is online now  
post #18285 of 18290 Old 08-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Senior Member
 
orcrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Good advice. I should probably hear an SACD prior to purchasing a player.
orcrone is offline  
post #18286 of 18290 Old Today, 12:08 PM
Senior Member
 
khyron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question OPPO 981HD just died, strongly dislike my PS3, thoughts on replacement?

Greetings fellow theater geeks! I could really use some advice and this seemed like a great place to start...

My trusty loyal upscaling DVD player just died after many years and hundreds upon hundreds of hours of use. I'm not sad, I'm just curious as to what to do next. I can repair it for $49 + shipping, but I could also just buy a BD player and ditch my PS3 which I have always disliked and only have because long ago when I bought it, it was the best BD device that made sense for us. We don't own any games for it anymore.

So what I'm wondering is, does a BD player exist (on any budget less than buying two units) that will deliver an experience that is at least equivalent to my old OPPO DVD player for DVD and equivalent or better BD playback than a slim PS3?

My dream team wish list of features include:
- excellent to optimal upscaled DVD playback quality
- optimal BD playback quality
- only HDMI inputs needed (display devices are a Samsung LED HDTV and a Panasonic AE8000U)
- fastest possible boot time, and fastest possible trailer skipping and menu loading
- regionless playback of both DVD and BD in case I want to buy some weird title

Features I do not need or care about include:
- smart apps, streaming services, or file playback (we have an HTPC)
- SACD or other odd formats, only need DVD and BD playback
- any sort of display sharing or network streaming
- any sort of 4K readiness or upscaling beyond 1080p
- any sort of frame interpolation or anything else not native to the source

Based on these criteria, what do you guys think I should research further? Should I be trying to accomplish this with one device, or two?

I would like to keep the total budget under $500, and I do not care at all about the physical appearance of units because all my stuff is in a ventilated closet, out of sight. Thanks for your feedback!
khyron is online now  
post #18287 of 18290 Old Today, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 3,181
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
Greetings fellow theater geeks! I could really use some advice and this seemed like a great place to start...

My trusty loyal upscaling DVD player just died after many years and hundreds upon hundreds of hours of use. I'm not sad, I'm just curious as to what to do next. I can repair it for $49 + shipping, but I could also just buy a BD player and ditch my PS3 which I have always disliked and only have because long ago when I bought it, it was the best BD device that made sense for us. We don't own any games for it anymore.

So what I'm wondering is, does a BD player exist (on any budget less than buying two units) that will deliver an experience that is at least equivalent to my old OPPO DVD player for DVD and equivalent or better BD playback than a slim PS3?

My dream team wish list of features include:
- excellent to optimal upscaled DVD playback quality
- optimal BD playback quality
- only HDMI inputs needed (display devices are a Samsung LED HDTV and a Panasonic AE8000U)
- fastest possible boot time, and fastest possible trailer skipping and menu loading
- regionless playback of both DVD and BD in case I want to buy some weird title

Features I do not need or care about include:
- smart apps, streaming services, or file playback (we have an HTPC)
- SACD or other odd formats, only need DVD and BD playback
- any sort of display sharing or network streaming
- any sort of 4K readiness or upscaling beyond 1080p
- any sort of frame interpolation or anything else not native to the source

Based on these criteria, what do you guys think I should research further? Should I be trying to accomplish this with one device, or two?

I would like to keep the total budget under $500, and I do not care at all about the physical appearance of units because all my stuff is in a ventilated closet, out of sight. Thanks for your feedback!
If you have an HTPC, why not just buy a bluray drive and be done with it?

The 4K, streaming, etc, etc.. you won't be able to avoid and won't get a lower price if you could. They are commodities now.

As to DVD, the best at it (as you know) are Oppos. If you want the best, that is what is best. If I were you, I'd just get a bluray drive for the HTPC and fix the Oppo, ditch the PS3.
hernanu is online now  
post #18288 of 18290 Old Today, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Or get an Oppo 103D.
BillP is online now  
post #18289 of 18290 Old Today, 03:28 PM
Senior Member
 
khyron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
If you have an HTPC, why not just buy a bluray drive and be done with it?

The 4K, streaming, etc, etc.. you won't be able to avoid and won't get a lower price if you could. They are commodities now.

As to DVD, the best at it (as you know) are Oppos. If you want the best, that is what is best. If I were you, I'd just get a bluray drive for the HTPC and fix the Oppo, ditch the PS3.
I have a BD-RW drive, but I haven't seen any BD video playback software for OS X that's impressed me yet. By all means let me know if there's something amazing. I really want fast load times and a nice UX experience though, and mostly I use the HTPC for web browsing and as a PLEX client (and also a server, it's handy like that). I mostly just use my drive for ripping and burning.

I'm kind of wondering if what I want is to just have an OPPO BD player, but there are five models and I don't know anything about them (yet).
khyron is online now  
post #18290 of 18290 Old Today, 03:30 PM
Senior Member
 
khyron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Or get an Oppo 103D.
Bill can you educate me a bit on the OPPO players and how they differ? For example, what's so special about "Darbee" editions that warrant them being so much more expensive? I could see myself buying a BDP-103 for $500, but all the other options are even more expensive than that and I don't clearly understand what sets them apart.
khyron is online now  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , blu-ray 3d , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , control , dvd player , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , player , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off