OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 631 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 156Likes

post #18901 of 18915 Old 02-02-2016, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 26
This doesn't answer your question, but after having lived in Europe for over twenty years, why not wait until you get back there? If you are military or government worker, you will be able to
purchase on the military bases where they sell the devices that are available here but in multi-voltage...oh and some devices that we don't get here in the U.S.

Some people can't let go of the ole PS3. If it was still true that it has the best available blu-ray player available, then everyone on here would have one and not a normal blu-ray player.

The current blu-ray players you buy here are Region 1 (U.S.) If you only intend to buy discs intended for the American market, then you will be fine. However if you intend to play discs from European countries, there will be a problem....another reason to wait until you get there, is the military bases sell what is called multi-systems that play discs from different regions....hint hint hint they don't cost more than a few dollars more than the players you buy here. I quit using converters way back in 1990 and instead purchased multi-voltage equipment. Those old converters to run a high powered AVR weighed about 25 pounds.

Kev, I wouldn't worry too much about the video and audio formats changing within a couple of years. Lastly, there is not a current BR-Player that I would pay $800 for with 4K Blu-ray on the horizon. This may not matter to you if you don't have or intend to buy a 4K TV. You didn't say what AVR you have or what else is in your current system. The U.S is not the only country that has great audio/video equipment. Depending on where you are going in Europe, make a call to a friend or future co-worker that might be in the know for what is available there. Will you have access to the U.S. military bases and the privilege to purchase on those bases? If you won't have that access and privilege, then all means it is usually cheaper to buy while here in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Grimm View Post
Chiming in aon this one, I want to understand what options are out there and what benefit I would gain from a new BR-Player.

- Budget: $500-800
- HDMI to AVR
- Mix: 80% DVD, 15% BR, 4% 3D-BR, 1% Music CD
- Streaming: is currently done through apple TV (NETFLIX)
- Needs to be 240V capable since I move back to Europe this year - if not, no problem, I will be utilizing a converter 110V <=> 240V unless this has influence on the A/V quality
- I will run at least a 7.2 system, but I want to keep options for ATMOS open

Basic question to start this topic for me: is it even possible, buying an US-BR Player and then utilizing it in Europe? Are these region free available and if so, what brand?

Currently I use the PS3, would that be an qualitative option?

Also, what Audio / Video / Format standards do I need to focus on buying now, ideally for the next couple of years? I know, this is idealistic, but, I'd ask anyway.

I know I am asking a lot of newbie questions - which I am - and I hope to get feedback to make the most appropriate decision.

Thank you,

Kev

Last edited by m3incorp; 02-02-2016 at 10:08 PM. Reason: I obviously was still writing when you responded :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18902 of 18915 Old 02-03-2016, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Grimm View Post
Thanks for your input - I have made comparison between for example OPPO BDP103 Darbee:

US-$ 599 vs EUR 949 Amazon

So, my idea also very value driven to get the most out of the value spent, especially having the access here in USA.
On the Oppo end....

The Oppo 103D US version will have different streaming apps than the EU version as one difference.

The 103D will accept 240 v without modification.

To use non Region 1 blurays, you'll need a modification that users have found pretty easy, I think (haven't done it) it's about 100.

To play off region DVD's, there is a utility (Superdisk?) that's available for free. If you get the bluray mod, it will also do DVD's without the superdisk.

When it's time to upgrade your firmware, you'll have to use the US version, not the EU version. You can do that online or most likely by USB drive if you can't reach the US servers automatically.

Others can fill you in on something I've missed.

Atmos can be bitstreamed from the disk, so the player wouldn't be the bottleneck there, the AVR would be.

Another thing you should take into account is that in the price area you quoted, Oppo will be coming out with a 4K UHD player late this year. If you want HDR and 4K support (and you have a 4K HDR TV), it may be worthwhile to wait for that; Oppo typically keeps the prices the same, just updates the technology.
post #18903 of 18915 Old 02-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
looking for a player.

Looking for a player what should i be looking at, im gonna match this up with my denon avr s910 receiver and svs speakers and sub.
post #18904 of 18915 Old 02-03-2016, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
Shop the usual suspects (Sony, Panasonic, OPPO, etc.) and get the player that has the features and connectivity you want and that fits your budget.
post #18905 of 18915 Old 02-04-2016, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where to start again been away a long time

Hi all, I've been out of the home theater arena since 2008. We moved and new house didn't allow for dedicated room,so I said screw it. Now that we moved again , new house is being built with a 16x15 media room . I'm getting excited to learn what's out there and where to start . I used the demon 5900 DVD player, which is still good, but I want to move forward with new technology. Blueray and whatever else is on horizon. Thanks you. I'm glad to be back. Exited to watch movies again
post #18906 of 18915 Old 02-04-2016, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 4915 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by clnconcpts View Post
Hi all, I've been out of the home theater arena since 2008. We moved and new house didn't allow for dedicated room,so I said screw it. Now that we moved again , new house is being built with a 16x15 media room . I'm getting excited to learn what's out there and where to start . I used the demon 5900 DVD player, which is still good, but I want to move forward with new technology. Blueray and whatever else is on horizon. Thanks you. I'm glad to be back. Exited to watch movies again
If you're adventurous, you can start with upcoming UHD BD player from Samsung coming out next week.

RIP --- The National Geographic Society (Jan. 1888 - Sept. 2015)
post #18907 of 18915 Old 02-07-2016, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Send a message via Skype™ to jeroensky
First question is: Find a (web)store that sell Multi-region/zone DVD/BD players.
It's really awesome that you get a player that plays all discs that you get worldwide.

For me i did my homework and choose a Oppo BDP103D multiregion/zone at 'www.jvbdigital.nl'. (office in NL & USA). It has very much container and codec support over Samba/SMB and DLNA networks and usb2

I wait with UHD BD, because it seems that you need to register every disc you get online.

For best freedom: Get a BD player from 4 years old or older. They don't have AACS2 and Cinavia watermark detection (which sucks bigtime).

_-<OPPO-BDP103eu~DarbeeEdition~Multi-region/zone>-_

Last edited by jeroensky; 02-07-2016 at 02:07 PM.
post #18908 of 18915 Old 02-07-2016, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Trying to find a Blu Ray player to use with my laptop (Windows 10)

I have several Blu Ray music discs I wish to listen to.

I have a Windows 10 laptop with a DragonFly DAC that I wish to use to listen to the high res files on the Blu Ray discs.

I have a Samsung external Blu Ray player (Model SE-506) that refuses to play Blu Ray discs even after I sent it to get repaired. I tried to use it with a Windows 7 computer but the thing does NOT want to play BR discs.

I'm looking for an option to play BR discs via my computer (I don't have a home entertainment system) so I can listen to the hi-res audio files through my DAC. I'm willing to spend up to $150-$200 in order to achieve this.

My computer has USB 3.0 as well as an HDMI port (Dell computer). Not sure if that's exclusively output or both in and out.

I'd rather NOT get another external BR drive. I've read about many issues with Windows 10 and external BR players. I feel I'd be in the same boat as before.

I am wondering if I can get a BR player and hook it up via HDMI on my computer. Or, I'd be happy with running digital audio into computer via USB audio interface and then back out my DragonFly DAC.

Am I thinking along the right lines?
post #18909 of 18915 Old 02-07-2016, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Your problem may be that your computer's motherboard and HDMI ports (if any) do not support DRM. You need to have support for HDCP and HDMI 1.4 at least to play Blu-Rays through a computer. Computers older than 3-4 years may not support this. Evern some newer ones don't.

post #18910 of 18915 Old 02-07-2016, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Send a message via Skype™ to jeroensky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryll Hurst View Post
I have a Samsung external Blu Ray player (Model SE-506) that refuses to play Blu Ray discs even after I sent it to get repaired. I tried to use it with a Windows 7 computer but the thing does NOT want to play BR discs.
I think your issue is software related.
Get the right software to play it on your windows 10 computer (64bit i guess). Check here.

_-<OPPO-BDP103eu~DarbeeEdition~Multi-region/zone>-_
post #18911 of 18915 Old 02-07-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroensky View Post
Get the right software to play it on your windows 10 computer (64bit i guess).

I should specify that I couldn't get BR discs to play on windows 7 machine or 64bit windows 10 machine. I'm going to try some other software options.

The player does play CDs and DVDs.
post #18912 of 18915 Old Yesterday, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroensky View Post
Get the right software to play it on your windows 10 computer (64bit i guess).
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried several programs and the Blu Ray disc will spin in the player but the player will mount and unmount repeatedly (like I'm plugging it in and unplugging it). It only does it with Blu Ray discs.

I guess my only option is to buy a blu ray player and test out my ideas. I'll let you guys know what works.

Thanks for the help.
post #18913 of 18915 Old Yesterday, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryll Hurst View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried several programs and the Blu Ray disc will spin in the player but the player will mount and unmount repeatedly (like I'm plugging it in and unplugging it). It only does it with Blu Ray discs.

I guess my only option is to buy a blu ray player and test out my ideas. I'll let you guys know what works.

Thanks for the help.
Unfortunately, the HDMI and S/PDIF connections provided on consumer computers are output-only. You can't use them to get audio signals into a computer. You have to buy professional audio/video plugin cards, which cost far more than an external BD player would. LG has external USB-2 BD drives which cost about the same as your current BD drive, if you are willing to try another brand.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #18914 of 18915 Old Today, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is there an affordable truly universal player?

Looking for something I might pick up in a thrift, eBay, pawn shop etc. or can buy new for a budget friendly price.

would like support for all disc formats, 4K not necessary but would be nice. Would like SACD and DVD-A support but also not necessary.

Must stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon. Pandora and Spotify would be bonuses. Wireless a definite bonus.

Must have at least 2 channel audio outputs.

Want support for FLAC format off DLNA server.

I've picked up a few older Sony and Samsung models in thrifts that fill most of these requirements, but where they fail is on FLAC support. All the newer models support FLAC but seem to be dropping analog outputs.

The reason that I want this is for a bedroom system, but I've got so much 2 channel gear that I can't justify buying a new AVR with HDMI switching just to run a BDP/streaming box.

I'd pay say $1-200 for something that would fill this hole, but it seems that Oppo is the only game in town.

Am I missing something...?

It's frustrating that I can drop a $99 Sony into the basement system and it works splendidly but I want the same functionality with analog outs, no can do :/
post #18915 of 18915 Old Today, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nagel View Post
Must have at least 2 channel audio outputs.

Am I missing something...?

It's frustrating that I can drop a $99 Sony into the basement system and it works splendidly but I want the same functionality with analog outs, no can do :/
http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETDTAP.../dp/B005DIRI6I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bd-30 , Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , blu-ray 3d , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , control , counter , dvd player , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , player , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , slow , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , video quality , zoom
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page