OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 632 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 156Likes
post #18931 of 18939 Old 02-11-2016, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SennheiserPass View Post
SNAAAAAAAAAAAAP that looks incredible.
What makes that thing worth so much? Maybe when I'm making six figures (sarcasm) I'll get that.
Value is in the eye of the beholder, of course. But if you are curious about the Oppo, google for "Oppo BDP 105 reviews", read up on the specs and read what other people say. And of course, skim through that Official Oppo thread I linked to in my first post, read what Oppo owners say.

But be warned - it is a very well respected piece of gear - if you read too much, you might be motivated to go out and rob a bank in order to own one!

I own the earlier model - the Oppo 95: no headphone jack. Bought it only a few months before the 105 came out. Grrrr. Would have waited had I known.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18932 of 18939 Old Yesterday, 03:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

But yeah, as you guessed, that's way beyond me right now. Thanks anyway.

But seriously now, one of the only ways to get a headphone jack is to shell out more than 1K.

While I have no plans to get anything like that, I'm curious. What makes that thing worth so much? Maybe when I'm making six figures (sarcasm) I'll get that.
See my post a few above... Apparently Oppos really are the only players that actually work in all sorts of wacky configurations... And by reputation they do it well, although I don't have first hand experience. I guess I'll have to start saving for one... Hopefully I get there before yet another format change

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #18933 of 18939 Old Yesterday, 04:38 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1592 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:

But yeah, as you guessed, that's way beyond me right now. Thanks anyway.

But seriously now, one of the only ways to get a headphone jack is to shell out more than 1K.

While I have no plans to get anything like that, I'm curious. What makes that thing worth so much? Maybe when I'm making six figures (sarcasm) I'll get that.
If your player has stereo ouputs, then there is a simple Y-cable, RCA-to-headphone, that will work. You ought to have a headphone amp, but it works without. Audio is not that important to me, but I've tried it and caveman techniques work for me.

OPPO also has a headphone amp.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #18934 of 18939 Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Oppo they don't make promises and vanish. Everything they do, they do very well.
I was one on these who always said, " is too expensive" till the day i bought mine.
post #18935 of 18939 Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
If your player has stereo ouputs, then there is a simple Y-cable, RCA-to-headphone, that will work. You ought to have a headphone amp, but it works without. Audio is not that important to me, but I've tried it and caveman techniques work for me.

OPPO also has a headphone amp.

-Bill
Thing is, I've been surprised how many Bluray players on Amazon have nothing but optical, coax, and HDMI out. Can anyone link me to a recent player with stereo RCA out?

What do you mean I ought to have a headphone amp? I know that would sound better, but foor what it's worth, my Sennheiser 598s sound great on my laptop's plain old 3.5 mm jack.

Last edited by SennheiserPass; Yesterday at 03:35 PM.
post #18936 of 18939 Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1592 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
What do you mean I ought to have a headphone amp?
I was channeling audiophile headphone users. They'll tell you.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #18937 of 18939 Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which players can stream Plex in DD True HD? Which ones can also pass Atmos via Plex?

I would use an Ethernet connection.

I think the Oppo 103 can. Watch about Denon dbt3313 or Marantz ud5007? I don't mind buying used.

Last edited by Ricky; Yesterday at 08:53 PM.
post #18938 of 18939 Unread Today, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I have a dinky like 70 dollar sony player and I've been considering going for something nicer, I will not be upgrading to 4k any time soon, not enough interest. I keep seeing everyone recommend oppo, is there a particular reason or model? I don't have any strange connection needs, its all HDMI, is there any reason to upgrade?
post #18939 of 18939 Unread Today, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_zep View Post
So I have a dinky like 70 dollar sony player and I've been considering going for something nicer, I will not be upgrading to 4k any time soon, not enough interest. I keep seeing everyone recommend oppo, is there a particular reason or model? I don't have any strange connection needs, its all HDMI, is there any reason to upgrade?
Probably not. HDMI audio and video are the same unless you get a Darbee version, which does some magic to make the video look somewhat better to some people.

However, the Oppos are "universal" players: they can play SACD, DVD-A and HDCD(*) audio discs in addition to Blu-ray, DVD and CD formats. The Oppo players' HDMI inputs and analog outputs tempt many people, as well as their more rugged design. Sony's BDP-S6500 can play SACD but not DVD-A discs. An additional feature is that the Oppos include multichannel decoders for translating DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD into PCM. Sony only provides stereo decoders in their current players. Most people bitstream the audio from their BDs, so this might not matter to you.

----
* -- HDCDs can be played on any CD player, but having a HDCD decoder provides somewhat better audio. Just about everybody else has dropped that feature in their players. I'm guessing Microsoft wants an outrageous licensing fee.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bd-30 , Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , blu-ray 3d , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , control , counter , dvd player , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , player , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , slow , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , video quality , zoom
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page