OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 632 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 168Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #18931 of 19110 Old 02-12-2016, 02:35 AM
Senior Member
 
n8nagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SennheiserPass View Post
SNAAAAAAAAAAAAP that looks incredible.

But yeah, as you guessed, that's way beyond me right now. Thanks anyway.

But seriously now, one of the only ways to get a headphone jack is to shell out more than 1K.

While I have no plans to get anything like that, I'm curious. What makes that thing worth so much? Maybe when I'm making six figures (sarcasm) I'll get that.
See my post a few above... Apparently Oppos really are the only players that actually work in all sorts of wacky configurations... And by reputation they do it well, although I don't have first hand experience. I guess I'll have to start saving for one... Hopefully I get there before yet another format change

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
n8nagel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18932 of 19110 Old 02-12-2016, 03:38 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 19,861
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by SennheiserPass View Post
SNAAAAAAAAAAAAP that looks incredible.

But yeah, as you guessed, that's way beyond me right now. Thanks anyway.

But seriously now, one of the only ways to get a headphone jack is to shell out more than 1K.

While I have no plans to get anything like that, I'm curious. What makes that thing worth so much? Maybe when I'm making six figures (sarcasm) I'll get that.
If your player has stereo ouputs, then there is a simple Y-cable, RCA-to-headphone, that will work. You ought to have a headphone amp, but it works without. Audio is not that important to me, but I've tried it and caveman techniques work for me.

OPPO also has a headphone amp.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #18933 of 19110 Old 02-12-2016, 03:50 AM
Member
 
t-well's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Oppo they don't make promises and vanish. Everything they do, they do very well.
I was one on these who always said, " is too expensive" till the day i bought mine.
t-well is offline  
post #18934 of 19110 Old 02-12-2016, 02:28 PM
Member
 
SennheiserPass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
If your player has stereo ouputs, then there is a simple Y-cable, RCA-to-headphone, that will work. You ought to have a headphone amp, but it works without. Audio is not that important to me, but I've tried it and caveman techniques work for me.

OPPO also has a headphone amp.

-Bill
Thing is, I've been surprised how many Bluray players on Amazon have nothing but optical, coax, and HDMI out. Can anyone link me to a recent player with stereo RCA out?

What do you mean I ought to have a headphone amp? I know that would sound better, but foor what it's worth, my Sennheiser 598s sound great on my laptop's plain old 3.5 mm jack.

Last edited by SennheiserPass; 02-12-2016 at 02:35 PM.
SennheiserPass is offline  
post #18935 of 19110 Old 02-12-2016, 02:31 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 19,861
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by SennheiserPass View Post
What do you mean I ought to have a headphone amp?
I was channeling audiophile headphone users. They'll tell you.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #18936 of 19110 Old 02-12-2016, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ricky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which players can stream Plex in DD True HD? Which ones can also pass Atmos via Plex?

I would use an Ethernet connection.

I think the Oppo 103 can. Watch about Denon dbt3313 or Marantz ud5007? I don't mind buying used.

Last edited by Ricky; 02-12-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Ricky is offline  
post #18937 of 19110 Old 02-13-2016, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
zero_zep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I have a dinky like 70 dollar sony player and I've been considering going for something nicer, I will not be upgrading to 4k any time soon, not enough interest. I keep seeing everyone recommend oppo, is there a particular reason or model? I don't have any strange connection needs, its all HDMI, is there any reason to upgrade?
zero_zep is offline  
post #18938 of 19110 Old 02-13-2016, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,260
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_zep View Post
So I have a dinky like 70 dollar sony player and I've been considering going for something nicer, I will not be upgrading to 4k any time soon, not enough interest. I keep seeing everyone recommend oppo, is there a particular reason or model? I don't have any strange connection needs, its all HDMI, is there any reason to upgrade?
Probably not. HDMI audio and video are the same unless you get a Darbee version, which does some magic to make the video look somewhat better to some people.

However, the Oppos are "universal" players: they can play SACD, DVD-A and HDCD(*) audio discs in addition to Blu-ray, DVD and CD formats. The Oppo players' HDMI inputs and analog outputs tempt many people, as well as their more rugged design. Sony's BDP-S6500 can play SACD but not DVD-A discs. An additional feature is that the Oppos include multichannel decoders for translating DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD into PCM. Sony only provides stereo decoders in their current players. Most people bitstream the audio from their BDs, so this might not matter to you.

----
* -- HDCDs can be played on any CD player, but having a HDCD decoder provides somewhat better audio. Just about everybody else has dropped that feature in their players. I'm guessing Microsoft wants an outrageous licensing fee.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #18939 of 19110 Old 02-13-2016, 10:23 PM
Member
 
valkenaar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I currently have a Sony S5100 player - and have generally been happy with it. Plays 3D, reasonable DVD upscaling, 3D support.

But....

I just ran into a Blu-ray set that it won't play. It's the BBC version of Little Dorrit. I thought it was a region issue but after borrowing my son-in-laws Samsung BD F5100 and finding it played well, that shot that theory.

So, I want a good player that'll work (ie, play my new disk set). Above what I have in the Sony, I would appreciate faster loading. No need for 4k yet - still enjoying my plasma.

Would the new Sony (S5500) likely load the new disks I got? Sounds like it's faster loading than the 5100. Or do I switch to a Samsung?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60ST60
Sony BDP-S3100
Denon X2000
valkenaar is offline  
post #18940 of 19110 Old 02-14-2016, 05:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,260
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkenaar View Post
I currently have a Sony S5100 player - and have generally been happy with it. Plays 3D, reasonable DVD upscaling, 3D support.

But....

I just ran into a Blu-ray set that it won't play. It's the BBC version of Little Dorrit. I thought it was a region issue but after borrowing my son-in-laws Samsung BD F5100 and finding it played well, that shot that theory.

So, I want a good player that'll work (ie, play my new disk set). Above what I have in the Sony, I would appreciate faster loading. No need for 4k yet - still enjoying my plasma.

Would the new Sony (S5500) likely load the new disks I got? Sounds like it's faster loading than the 5100. Or do I switch to a Samsung?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only people who have the failing discs can answer for sure. However, Panasonic is the other player which people here on AVS like a lot.

You might try taking a failing disc to a local A/V store and try it out in the BD players they have in their demo system.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #18941 of 19110 Old 02-14-2016, 05:29 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 19,861
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkenaar View Post
I currently have a Sony S5100 player - and have generally been happy with it. Plays 3D, reasonable DVD upscaling, 3D support.

But....

I just ran into a Blu-ray set that it won't play. It's the BBC version of Little Dorrit. I thought it was a region issue but after borrowing my son-in-laws Samsung BD F5100 and finding it played well, that shot that theory.
It's an import? Some such use 50hz frame rate, ie: 1080i50, which some North American players won't accept. Does the cover have any indication of that? Or does the Samsung give any info on what it is playing?

Published player specs are often silent on this issue. You might ask in the thread for your player if it is a known issue with those imports.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #18942 of 19110 Old 02-14-2016, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wkearney99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD USA
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Any have recommendations for a BluRay player that's small and elderly-friendly?

For some background: this will be a replacement for a 2005-ish Mac Mini with an internal drive, previously used for DVDs. I'm specifically NOT looking for an external drive. I'm replacing her ancient Mini, and new models don't come with an integral optical drive. That and Apple doesn't include a BluRay player program, nor have any BD drives of their own. I really don't want to wander down the road of supporting a different player program. That and their uplink is dead-slow, so downloading, streaming and the like aren't part of the equation.

The cabinet space is somewhat limited, a 'receiver-sized' player would not be ideal. There would be room either under a new Mini or under a Tivo Roamio (basic).

I don't know that I have a preference between slot-loading or tray. Either would work.

AV quality doesn't particularly matter as it's just going straight into a 42" TV, no AVR involved. It'd be most likely used for DVDs, but I'm getting a BD player to avoid any confusion about what kind of discs are needed. Don't need 3D, 4K, a fancy scaler and the like.

What I'd like to avoid is a user-interface that's going to be too cluttered. As in, just pop in a disc be able to play it without wandering through menus. I don't need this player to have apps, netflix, or whatever. Just play movie discs. That and a remote that's not overly complicated.

So, any have recommendations? Or warnings what to avoid?
wkearney99 is offline  
post #18943 of 19110 Old 02-14-2016, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,260
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Any have recommendations for a BluRay player that's small and elderly-friendly?

For some background: this will be a replacement for a 2005-ish Mac Mini with an internal drive, previously used for DVDs. I'm specifically NOT looking for an external drive. I'm replacing her ancient Mini, and new models don't come with an integral optical drive. That and Apple doesn't include a BluRay player program, nor have any BD drives of their own. I really don't want to wander down the road of supporting a different player program. That and their uplink is dead-slow, so downloading, streaming and the like aren't part of the equation.

The cabinet space is somewhat limited, a 'receiver-sized' player would not be ideal. There would be room either under a new Mini or under a Tivo Roamio (basic).

I don't know that I have a preference between slot-loading or tray. Either would work.

AV quality doesn't particularly matter as it's just going straight into a 42" TV, no AVR involved. It'd be most likely used for DVDs, but I'm getting a BD player to avoid any confusion about what kind of discs are needed. Don't need 3D, 4K, a fancy scaler and the like.

What I'd like to avoid is a user-interface that's going to be too cluttered. As in, just pop in a disc be able to play it without wandering through menus. I don't need this player to have apps, netflix, or whatever. Just play movie discs. That and a remote that's not overly complicated.

So, any have recommendations? Or warnings what to avoid?
From what you've written, just about any entry-level Blu-ray player would be OK. Sony and Panasonic players tend to be recommended here because they aren't as buggy as other brands. E.g. the Sony BDP-S1500 should be fine for this. At worst, you'll just have to press the "Play" button. However, most discs do have their own menu systems which can be rather complicated in some cases. The ones on Universal titles I find to be particularly annoying.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #18944 of 19110 Old 02-14-2016, 08:02 PM
Newbie
 
mc510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will a new Blu-ray player do better with scratched disks?

I've got a 10 year old Philips DVP5960 DVD player, and I can't remember the last time that I was able to get all the way through a DVD from Netflix or the library; the scratches (which look pretty light to me) wreak havoc. Would a new Blu-ray player likely be able to handle the scratches better, due to more advanced laser design and data correction/error handling firmware? Or is it a mistake to expect that from a Blu-ray player, and instead I should just try a different DVD player?

Last edited by mc510; 02-14-2016 at 09:20 PM.
mc510 is offline  
post #18945 of 19110 Old 02-15-2016, 03:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,260
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc510 View Post
I've got a 10 year old Philips DVP5960 DVD player, and I can't remember the last time that I was able to get all the way through a DVD from Netflix or the library; the scratches (which look pretty light to me) wreak havoc. Would a new Blu-ray player likely be able to handle the scratches better, due to more advanced laser design and data correction/error handling firmware? Or is it a mistake to expect that from a Blu-ray player, and instead I should just try a different DVD player?
A new Blu-ray player would help. Another thing to try, if you haven't already, is to clean the internal lens. Cleaning discs are available at most large stores like Walmart, Best Buy and Target. (I'm not sure you can even find DVD players any more in most stores.)

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #18946 of 19110 Old 02-15-2016, 10:47 AM
Newbie
 
mc510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
A new Blu-ray player would help. Another thing to try, if you haven't already, is to clean the internal lens. Cleaning discs are available at most large stores like Walmart, Best Buy and Target. (I'm not sure you can even find DVD players any more in most stores.)
I do still see DVD players around, though they're tucked away on the bottom shelf. I guess what I'm really asking is which should be better at reading scratched DVDs: the more advanced laser system of a Blu-ray, even though it's optimized for a different type of disk, or a DVD player of recent vintage?
mc510 is offline  
post #18947 of 19110 Old 02-15-2016, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 14,873
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3973 Post(s)
Liked: 3880
You could just do a little public service and clean up the scratchy discs? https://www.google.com/#q=repairing+...e:avsforum.com
lovinthehd is offline  
post #18948 of 19110 Old 02-15-2016, 09:03 PM
Senior Member
 
m3incorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 46
You can't replace those scratched discs? I don't think I would buy something new solely to play something that is defective (scratches). The problem with discs, are if they aren't taken care of you get scratches. I don't think anyone on here can accurately answer your question as to what "should" read defective discs better. If you plan to replace that old DVD player, you might as well buy a Blu-ray that can read your non-defective DVDs and of course blu-rays, should you ever decide that blu-rays is a step above DVDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc510 View Post
I do still see DVD players around, though they're tucked away on the bottom shelf. I guess what I'm really asking is which should be better at reading scratched DVDs: the more advanced laser system of a Blu-ray, even though it's optimized for a different type of disk, or a DVD player of recent vintage?
m3incorp is offline  
post #18949 of 19110 Old 02-16-2016, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 1,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc510 View Post
I do still see DVD players around, though they're tucked away on the bottom shelf. I guess what I'm really asking is which should be better at reading scratched DVDs: the more advanced laser system of a Blu-ray, even though it's optimized for a different type of disk, or a DVD player of recent vintage?
I believe blu-ray players use a separate laser lens for DVDs vs. BDs, so the "laser system" for blu-ray probably doesn't have much to do with improving DVD playback.
You should focus on cleaning/repairing the damaged discs. If they are rentals, complain to the supplier & tell them to pull the bad ones out of circulation. If they are purchased, return them as defective & demand a replacement. If you are the cause of the damage, take better care of them.
My purchased AV media is always in pristine condition. Discs I rent are always returned in far better condition than when I got them. I ask for and get free replacement rentals for any title that does not play perfectly.
If your playback problem is constant regardless of disc condition, then your player is probably the problem.
A good cleaning can work wonders.
If you decide to purchase a replacement player, I would echo the previous suggestion that you pick up a blu-ray player. There are plenty of good quality players that are very reasonably priced these days. A used player may be an option also. I just picked up a Panasonic DMP-BD65 used off EBay for $21 total shipped. It works perfectly, supports streaming, has more connection options than most new players offer these days & is cinavia free.

A long-time audio/video addict!

Last edited by Rich86; 02-16-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Rich86 is offline  
post #18950 of 19110 Old 02-16-2016, 12:44 PM
Member
 
ultravorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
PS3 on the fritz, what should I get?

So I currently have a PS3 as my main player, but its been acting up as of late so im entertaining the idea of a new player.

I currently have a pioneer kuro pro-150FD. It supports up to 36 bit deep color, but only runs hdmi 1.3.

I also have a denon avrx4000, which only supports hdmi 1.4, but does 4k

What BD player would give the best pix on the kuro?

I was looking at the new samsung UHD BD player since it does 10bit color, and at worse that would be my only upgrade, but are there any other options out there that would be recommended?
ultravorx is offline  
post #18951 of 19110 Old 02-16-2016, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 3,409
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravorx View Post
So I currently have a PS3 as my main player, but its been acting up as of late so im entertaining the idea of a new player.

I currently have a pioneer kuro pro-150FD. It supports up to 36 bit deep color, but only runs hdmi 1.3.

I also have a denon avrx4000, which only supports hdmi 1.4, but does 4k

What BD player would give the best pix on the kuro?

I was looking at the new samsung UHD BD player since it does 10bit color, and at worse that would be my only upgrade, but are there any other options out there that would be recommended?
Well, the UHD BD player has a lot of nice features, the problem is that none of them will benefit your kuro, which only supports 1080p.

Until you're ready to upgrade the kuro for a 4K HDR TV, you won't get any benefit from it. If you're going to spend that kind of money, get a current Oppo and be done.

The best move though would be to get an inexpensive Sony or Panasonic player at about 100. I assume you're mostly going to play blurays, so those would do a very good job for you.

That way when you do go for a UHD HDR set, you can get the UHD bluray players at that point, at probably a much lower price than now.
lovinthehd likes this.
hernanu is online now  
post #18952 of 19110 Old 02-16-2016, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
david8613's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: bloomfield nj
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 38
need a new player, what to get?

I have a sharp 70" 1080p television, and looking for a player. Should I get an ultra 4k blue ray player so that I am future proofing myself or just get a normal 1080p blue ray player? Any model recommendation? Is 4k or ultra 4k a big enough jump to even consider it.
david8613 is offline  
post #18953 of 19110 Old 02-16-2016, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 14,873
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3973 Post(s)
Liked: 3880
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
I have a sharp 70" 1080p television, and looking for a player. Should I get an ultra 4k blue ray player so that I am future proofing myself or just get a normal 1080p blue ray player? Any model recommendation? Is 4k or ultra 4k a big enough jump to even consider it.
I wouldn't even worry about it until you buy a 4k set. The content is minimal now, and the prices will drop (if the tech sticks of course) by the time you pickup a 4k tv set so buy the 4k player later.
lovinthehd is offline  
post #18954 of 19110 Old 02-16-2016, 08:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,260
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
I have a sharp 70" 1080p television, and looking for a player. Should I get an ultra 4k blue ray player so that I am future proofing myself or just get a normal 1080p blue ray player? Any model recommendation?
The Samsung 4K player is turning out to have problems generating a reliable image with HDR and WCP on various 4K TVs. The only reason to get it for use with a 1K display would be to hear the Atmos soundtracks which are going to released only on 4K discs. For the moment, I'd suggest getting a relatively inexpensive BD player now while buying 4K+BD combo-backs of titles you want that you don't already have. This fall there'll be a selection of 4K BD players to choose from from different manufacturers, some of which are bound to be less expensive and more user-friendly than Samsung's current offering.

Panasonic and Sony Blu-ray players tend to be recommended here, primarily because they tend to be more reliable than the competition. Which model you get depends on what features you want, like 3D (Sony BDP-S5500) or SACD (Sony BDP-S6500). If neither are of interest, get a Sony BDP-S3500.

Quote:
Is 4k or ultra 4k a big enough jump to even consider it.
There is only one 4K Blu-ray standard. 4K and Ultra High Definition are one and the same.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #18955 of 19110 Old 02-17-2016, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
david8613's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: bloomfield nj
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Im running a cheapy and old samsung bdc5500 and im wondering if i would notice a difference picture quality?
david8613 is offline  
post #18956 of 19110 Old 02-17-2016, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 1,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
The only reason to get it for use with a 1K display would be to hear the Atmos soundtracks which are going to released only on 4K discs.
What is the basis for your statement that Atmos soundtracks will only be available on 4k discs when they are already available on current blu-ray titles?

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #18957 of 19110 Old 02-17-2016, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,260
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
What is the basis for your statement that Atmos soundtracks will only be available on 4k discs when they are already available on current blu-ray titles?
Several studios which have not released any BDs with Atmos soundtracks have announced that they'll be releasing UBDs with Atmos soundtracks. See, for example, http://www.sportsvideo.org/2016/01/0...s-soundtracks/

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #18958 of 19110 Old 02-17-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 14,873
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3973 Post(s)
Liked: 3880
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
Im running a cheapy and old samsung bdc5500 and im wondering if i would notice a difference picture quality?
As long as it's still transferring the digital signal properly, why would there be a different picture quality? My Samsung 6100 just simply stopped playing discs, that's when I had different picture quality
lovinthehd is offline  
post #18959 of 19110 Old 02-17-2016, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,500
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Best budget BR player under $100?

Am just looking for something that can upconvert my legacy 480p DVDs for playback through an HDMI connection on a 720p LED projector (using a blank wall) with a coaxial connection running to my HT receiver for the sound.

Not really interested in wi-fi, streaming apps, nor in 3D or 4K---simply want solid mechanical reliability, reasonably fast loading times, and the ability to remember the specific place on a disk where I left off. The ability to play MP4, MKV, and other less common formats through the USB input would be nice.

The Sony BDP-BX350 keeps coming up as the most popular budget player; how does it compare to the Korean competition (LG and Samsung)? Not really looking for video perfection, just functionality and reliability.

Are there other players you'd recommend in this price range?

Thanks for any help...
Zorba922 is offline  
post #18960 of 19110 Old 02-17-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 1,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Several studios which have not released any BDs with Atmos soundtracks have announced that they'll be releasing UBDs with Atmos soundtracks. See, for example, http://www.sportsvideo.org/2016/01/0...s-soundtracks/
I guess I'm not seeing anything in that article that suggests Atmos will be exclusive to 4K releases from Sony. It reads more like Sony committing to Atmos on releases "including SPHE’s first films to be released in the 4K Ultra HD disc format". Is this really more about Atmos vs. DTS:X maybe?

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bd-30 , Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , blu-ray 3d , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , control , counter , Dts , dvd player , flac , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , multichannel analog , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , player , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , slow , smart , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , usb , video quality , wifi , zoom

taboola here
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off