OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE - Page 641 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 175Likes

post #19201 of 19207 Old Today, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid109 View Post
Lets try again it seems my logic is flawed so forgive me, from what I read the Sony models will do the bit streaming just fine? Since my current Panasonic LCD TV is not 4K ready if I get the Sony model will I notice some improvements? I like the picture quality of blu ray just want to to be able to get the best audio I can out of the player. If the Sony will do it great I just thought the Samsung being a more expensive brand would be better.
As Shelden mention earlier, audio will be the same coming from both your current BDP65 and a new player. Both players bitstream. Video will also be the same with Blu-ray. I have old Panasonics, newer Sonys, Oppo, Denon, Samsung, etc. Samsung is my least favorite brand. Honestly, this is what you will get by getting a new player. Better apps and app performance and faster startup/load times. The Sonys are better at streaming (both apps and files).

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Samsung UBD-K8500 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.

Last edited by teachsac; Today at 05:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19202 of 19207 Old Today, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you so it boils down to features audio and video is going to be the same unless I had a 4K TV and a UHD player it will only be so good. Taking that into account the best bang for the buck is going to the Sony. Just when I get somewhat comfortable with setting up my hometheaer system a wrench gets thrown in when I ask about the players. Thank you.
post #19203 of 19207 Old Today, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
So I have a 4K UHD tv Vizio p65 and use a Pioneer vsx 90 as a AVR so it has full 4k 2.2 compliance that is ran as a 5.1 surround system usualy DD+ and I do not plan on atmos

What reasons are there to go with a stand alone UHD Blue ray player like the samsung or panisonic over the Xbox one S ?
post #19204 of 19207 Old Today, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2402 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Lets try again it seems my logic is flawed so forgive me, from what I read the Sony models will do the bit streaming just fine?
Correct. However, you do need to turn Off the Audio Settings feature labeled "BD Audio Mix Setting". By default it's On, which causes the player to decode soundtracks to stereo PCM.
Quote:
Since my current Panasonic LCD TV is not 4K ready if I get the Sony model will I notice some improvements?
Maybe. There are several color decoding options available in the player. (YCbCr/RGB) Some TVs look better when you specify a particular setting instead of letting the player automatically choose one of them

Quote:
I like the picture quality of blu ray just want to to be able to get the best audio I can out of the player. If the Sony will do it great I just thought the Samsung being a more expensive brand would be better.
Samsung players provide more audio encoding/decoding options than Sony players have. That might be important depending on what receiver you have. In particular, 2015 and 2016 D+M equipment currently are unable to apply Dolby Surround to DTS soundtracks. This is a major inconvenience not present in their older equipment or in receivers from other manufacturers. It's supposedly going to be fixed in a firmware update which is not expected until the fall. As a result, a workaround is to use multichannel audio decoding in the player.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #19205 of 19207 Old Today, 09:10 AM

It seems like I dug up a big can of worms! I understood I think everything up until the last post, now it seems that since I am mostly interested in audio the Samsung might be better? If it means anything my AVR is a Yamaha RX-A2010 I currently have it set for surround decode which depending on my selection it goes to DolbyPL2x music. Not trying to sound cheap either but I saw several listings for the Samsung J7500 for approx. 130.00 I also saw the Sony 6700 new for the same price. Not questioning your knowledge but once again based on the ability to multi channel the Samsung is a better choice? Now if money was no object the new Panasonic for 700 would be great or even the K8500 for 370.00 but since I am not fully set for 4K not interested. Sorry for the numerous questions.
post #19206 of 19207 Old Today, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
It seems like I dug up a big can of worms! I understood I think everything up until the last post, now it seems that since I am mostly interested in audio the Samsung might be better? If it means anything my AVR is a Yamaha RX-A2010 I currently have it set for surround decode which depending on my selection it goes to DolbyPL2x music. Not trying to sound cheap either but I saw several listings for the Samsung J7500 for approx. 130.00 I also saw the Sony 6700 new for the same price. Not questioning your knowledge but once again based on the ability to multi channel the Samsung is a better choice? Now if money was no object the new Panasonic for 700 would be great or even the K8500 for 370.00 but since I am not fully set for 4K not interested. Sorry for the numerous questions.
No. The audio options in the Samsung are for converting the DTS lossless codec to lossless Dolby Digital for receivers and Soundbars that only handle Dolby Digital and converting lossless TrueHD and DTS Master Audio to PCM for receivers that cannot decode those 2 formats. You would not do either of those. Between the Sony model and the Samsung models you mentioned, I would go with the Sony.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Samsung UBD-K8500 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #19207 of 19207 Old Today, 11:37 AM

Okay the 6700 it is. Once I get a 4K TV is video will be even better but this is still a start. Last question are there any advantages going with the S7200 over the S6700? Just want to make sure before I buy.
Thanks Norman

Last edited by Cichlid109; Today at 11:46 AM. Reason: Another question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bd-30 , Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , blu-ray 3d , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , control , counter , Dts , dvd player , flac , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , multichannel analog , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , player , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , slow , smart , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , usb , video quality , wifi , zoom