OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE - Page 642 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 175Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19231 of 19237 Old 08-05-2016, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 18,133
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 652
You can buy a used Oppo on eBay or elsewhere, and they are fully supported. Even the old DVD players, (widely available), can do SACD/DVD-A over HDMI.
rdgrimes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19232 of 19237 Old 08-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Member
 
JReuter21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cedar Falls, IA
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Game console or Blu-ray player

So i'm just finishing my basement build. It is not a dedicated theater. Pool table, bar, couch, projector kinda room. I was planning on just getting a cheap <$100 blu ray player but now i'm second guessing myself. It will be placed in my built in av rack with a tinted glass door so i don't care what it looks like. I have multiple cat6 ran to the av rack so I really have no need for WiFi capability. I have a BenQ HT2050 projector which does not have 4k capability but does have 3D (which idk if I would ever use but it is possible).

I was planning on getting something like the Samsung BD-J5900 or even the Samsung - BD-J5100. I was walking through Walmart today and walked past the gaming area and saw the price of the new XBox One S, I'm wondering if I should just shell out the extra dough for that?

I rarely (actually never) play video games anymore. I did my fair share about 8 years ago before I got married and had a kid, but nowadays there's literally no time for it. I have a PS3 in my living room upstairs that serves as our BR player and my 5 year old has 1 or 2 games he plays on it very rarely. In his room I have my old XBox 360 that serves as a DVD player for him and he plays a lot of video games in there (Disney Infinity mostly). The games he plays at this point will not really benefit from the new XBox, he would never even realize the change in picture quality or things like that.

Would I be better off spending $250 on an X1S, original Xbox One can be found refurbished for $199 or just go with the cheapo $70 Blu-ray player?

If I go with the BR player what is the point of the more expensive players, aside from WiFi and 4k capabilities is there any reason to spend more? Even these cheap ones can stream video, and if the UI is bad I can throw a Chromecast or Fire TV Stick on it for basically nothing (have a chromecast and Roku already)?
JReuter21 is offline  
post #19233 of 19237 Old 08-08-2016, 01:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by JReuter21 View Post
So i'm just finishing my basement build. It is not a dedicated theater. Pool table, bar, couch, projector kinda room. I was planning on just getting a cheap <$100 blu ray player but now i'm second guessing myself. It will be placed in my built in av rack with a tinted glass door so i don't care what it looks like. I have multiple cat6 ran to the av rack so I really have no need for WiFi capability. I have a BenQ HT2050 projector which does not have 4k capability but does have 3D (which idk if I would ever use but it is possible).

I was planning on getting something like the Samsung BD-J5900 or even the Samsung - BD-J5100. I was walking through Walmart today and walked past the gaming area and saw the price of the new XBox One S, I'm wondering if I should just shell out the extra dough for that?

I rarely (actually never) play video games anymore. I did my fair share about 8 years ago before I got married and had a kid, but nowadays there's literally no time for it. I have a PS3 in my living room upstairs that serves as our BR player and my 5 year old has 1 or 2 games he plays on it very rarely. In his room I have my old XBox 360 that serves as a DVD player for him and he plays a lot of video games in there (Disney Infinity mostly). The games he plays at this point will not really benefit from the new XBox, he would never even realize the change in picture quality or things like that.

Would I be better off spending $250 on an X1S, original Xbox One can be found refurbished for $199 or just go with the cheapo $70 Blu-ray player?

If I go with the BR player what is the point of the more expensive players, aside from WiFi and 4k capabilities is there any reason to spend more? Even these cheap ones can stream video, and if the UI is bad I can throw a Chromecast or Fire TV Stick on it for basically nothing (have a chromecast and Roku already)?
Just remember, the Xbox One or One S does not bitstream. Also, do not chose a X1 over X1S.

Unless you can wait it out for a 'possible' bitstream update, I'd strongly recommend the Sony S6500.
Dreamliner is online now  
post #19234 of 19237 Old 08-08-2016, 05:06 AM
Member
 
JReuter21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cedar Falls, IA
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am kind of new to all this but I think I understand this whole bitstream thing... basically its the ability to use Atmos and DTS:X right?

Well my projector cant do 4K and I only have a 5.1 system so no Atmos so will the current ability of not being able to bitstream make a difference in my situation?

Also whats the benefit of the Sony BDP-S6500 over the simpler Samsung BD-J5100 if I dont need WiFi or 4K? Will it provide better audio or video quality? Better UI? Just a better quality product?

This isnt me being a wise guy btw, honest questions
JReuter21 is offline  
post #19235 of 19237 Old 08-08-2016, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,204
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 908
The picture quality will be the same no matter which player or game console you choose. I personally wouldn't waste money on something I'd rarely/never use (game console).

The UI on a game console is going to be more convoluted since BD playback is not its primary function. You already know this. A game console is also going to take up more space, use more energy, be slower to start and generate more heat and noise.

There is no benefit of one model over another if you never use that benefit. So if you don't need wifi, don't get it. Sounds like the most basic model of any brand would satisfy your requirements. A used BD-J5100 is only $30 on Amazon. Step up to the next model if you think you'd ever use 3D. Personally, I'd grab one of those or a low end Sony and call it a day. Used on Amazon usually means the previous owner used it for 5 minutes and couldn't figure it out or changed his/her mind, IOW, good as new.

Also, if you don't already have a universal remote, the remote alone for a game console is going to cost nearly as much as a second hand stand-alone player.

The logical choice in your case is a stand-alone player. But sounds like you're fishing for justification for the game console, so get the game console if that's what you truly want.

Last edited by mdavej; 08-08-2016 at 07:20 AM.
mdavej is offline  
post #19236 of 19237 Old 08-08-2016, 07:55 AM
Member
 
JReuter21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cedar Falls, IA
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
The picture quality will be the same no matter which player or game console you choose. I personally wouldn't waste money on something I'd rarely/never use (game console).

The UI on a game console is going to be more convoluted since BD playback is not its primary function. You already know this. A game console is also going to take up more space, use more energy, be slower to start and generate more heat and noise.

There is no benefit of one model over another if you never use that benefit. So if you don't need wifi, don't get it. Sounds like the most basic model of any brand would satisfy your requirements. A used BD-J5100 is only $30 on Amazon. Step up to the next model if you think you'd ever use 3D. Personally, I'd grab one of those or a low end Sony and call it a day. Used on Amazon usually means the previous owner used it for 5 minutes and couldn't figure it out or changed his/her mind, IOW, good as new.

Also, if you don't already have a universal remote, the remote alone for a game console is going to cost nearly as much as a second hand stand-alone player.

The logical choice in your case is a stand-alone player. But sounds like you're fishing for justification for the game console, so get the game console if that's what you truly want.
Thanks for the input. I wouldnt say im fishing for justification but I completely understand where youre coming from. I just hate wasting money and I know you usually get what you pay for especially with electronics. Ive had my PS3 since they came out, literally, so Ive never looked at blu-ray players. I was honestly blown away to see how cheap they were so I got a little nervous. Id rather spend the least amount possible so thats good news. Ive just spent about 3K in the last week on a new receiver, projector and 5.1 set up, plus had to buy funiture for the basement so Im about tired of spending money.

I just remembered hearing when the PS4 and XBox One were coming out that they were supposed to be geared toward Home Theater type operations more, and was a little surprised that it was <$300 already, but if its not significantly better as far as streaming and movie watching goes then ill just get a cheap blu-ray and get a game console in a couple years for my kid when he'll really play it and theyve come down even more in price.

Is either Sony or Samsung generally thought of as being better in budget BR players or is it kind of just personal preference?
JReuter21 is offline  
post #19237 of 19237 Old 08-08-2016, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,204
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JReuter21 View Post
Thanks for the input. I wouldnt say im fishing for justification but I completely understand where youre coming from. I just hate wasting money and I know you usually get what you pay for especially with electronics. Ive had my PS3 since they came out, literally, so Ive never looked at blu-ray players. I was honestly blown away to see how cheap they were so I got a little nervous. Id rather spend the least amount possible so thats good news. Ive just spent about 3K in the last week on a new receiver, projector and 5.1 set up, plus had to buy funiture for the basement so Im about tired of spending money.

I just remembered hearing when the PS4 and XBox One were coming out that they were supposed to be geared toward Home Theater type operations more, and was a little surprised that it was <$300 already, but if its not significantly better as far as streaming and movie watching goes then ill just get a cheap blu-ray and get a game console in a couple years for my kid when he'll really play it and theyve come down even more in price.

Is either Sony or Samsung generally thought of as being better in budget BR players or is it kind of just personal preference?
I couldn't stand using PS3 as a BD player. It was slow, loud and hot, not to mention awkward and expensive to control. PS4 was an utter failure as a home theater hub. You can't even use a remote to operate it. That's an automatic F in my book. Xbox One was closer, but still no cigar. At least it works with a remote.

To me, Sony has always had a much more polished and reliable BD player than Samsung. They invented blu-ray after all. I loved my old Samsung DVD players, but they just can't seem to do BD right, IMO. That's just my personal take on it. My first choice after Sony would be LG, not Samsung. Toshiba makes the absolute worst BD player I've ever seen.

IMO, it's best to get many devices that do their thing well than one device that does everything poorly. So get a BD player for discs, a streamer for streaming (Roku, etc.), and a game console for games. Tie everything together with a decent universal remote so source switching is seamless (they start around $15).

If you're on a tight budget, willing to compromise and want gaming, then, yes, you can do it all with one game console. That's good for young people on a budget. But a rack of purpose built devices is best for adults with a reasonable budget.
mdavej is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bd-30 , Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , blu-ray 3d , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , control , counter , Dts , dvd player , flac , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , multichannel analog , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , player , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , slow , smart , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , usb , video quality , wifi , zoom



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off