OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE - Page 643 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 180Likes

post #19261 of 19289 Old 09-07-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2542 Post(s)
Liked: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by martynic View Post
I currently have a Samsung BD-5500 BD player and has served me OK over the years. Lately however...it takes a long time to load up certain BD's. Also, I'm not sure how well it will pass Atmos programming in bit stream mode.

Since I will be setting up my system for Atmos in the near future I am looking at possibly replacing the BD-5500. Keeping in mind that I do not crave great video quality, but do like good audio (since I watch a lot of concert discs), is there a decent player (low or mid tier) that will put out better audio than the older BD5500 and not take too long to load a disc?

Basically I am looking for a relatively inexpensive player that will do a good job with the newer audio formats, load up relatively fast, and do just an adequate job with video.
Is there such a player?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
All you need to support Atmos from a player perspective is to be able to bitstream. So any player that bitstreams should be able to handle it.

It won't necessarily improve on the player you already have, but it will give you better loading, maybe other features that you find valuable.

It's a pretty low bar, since I think they all should bitstream, the critical part is the receiver and what it does with the sound. So I think any current low priced player that won't fall apart immediately will do.

Good luck.
Unfortunately, many Atmos discs overuse the feature "Seamless Branching". The chipsets in some older players can't cope with that and generate random audio dropouts. I dunno if the Samsung BD5500 is one which has that problem. It's old enough that it might. However, all current generation Blu-ray players don't have that problem.

When bitstreaming over HDMI, you get a bit-perfect audio stream: what's on the disc is what goes into your audio equipment. So far as that's concerned, it doesn't matter which Blu-ray player you get. They'll all bitstream Atmos perfectly. (Note that I am not including Blu-ray gaming consoles: some can and some can't.) It's the other features of the player that would affect your decision: being able to play 3D, SACD, DVD-A or UHD discs will each add to the player's cost. If you don't need any of those formats, you can get the cheapest player available, typically under $50.

HDMI does have a tiny amount of jitter which some people claim they can hear. Whether that might be a problem for you is another thing that I dunno. Personally, I think that being able to listen to lossless audio with Atmos is far more important.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19262 of 19289 Old 09-07-2016, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Should I bother upgrading my LG BD630?

My Marantz UD5007 is no longer recognizing discs (unknown disc or no disk reading) ... Marantz customer service suggested a disc cleaner (that didn't help) or having it serviced/repaired.

Firmware is up to date.

I've never been happy with the handshake between my UD5007 and SR5007 receiver ... it was never a surprise when I needed to power off one or both to get things going ... as a result of that, I'm no longer committed to the uniform Marantz look.

My first inclination was to see what Oppo has to offer ... the 103 looks great.

Audio is my primary concern as far as the HT is concerned, Blu-ray player included.

But ... as I'm reading up on Blu-ray/audio quality, I'm not sure where my upgrade $$$ should go.

I'm under the impression that analog connections and Audysssey room correction aren't compatible ... I'd much rather have an HDMI connection anyway.

Since the decoding is done in the AVR when using the HDMI connection, as far as audio is concerned, are all Blu-ray players (like the LG BD630 that I grabbed from the exercise room) basically the same?

Interestingly, the Oppo owner's thread, on the first page, seems to indicate that for DTS MasterAudio, the Oppo 103 can internally decode the material via analog or HDMI connection.

The two sources I'm concerned about with regards to the audio quality are (1) my classical music/opera DVDs and Blurays and (2) Hi-res digital audio from an iPad.

Finally, am I correct in assuming that the Oppo 103 has better internals and processing capability than my SR5007 receiver?

MartinLogan Motion 40s / 30 / LX16s
Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS SB13ultra

exercise room: MartinLogan LX16s / Dynamo700
post #19263 of 19289 Old 09-08-2016, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC1315 View Post
My Marantz UD5007 is no longer recognizing discs (unknown disc or no disk reading) ... Marantz customer service suggested a disc cleaner (that didn't help) or having it serviced/repaired.

Firmware is up to date.

I've never been happy with the handshake between my UD5007 and SR5007 receiver ... it was never a surprise when I needed to power off one or both to get things going ... as a result of that, I'm no longer committed to the uniform Marantz look.

My first inclination was to see what Oppo has to offer ... the 103 looks great.

Audio is my primary concern as far as the HT is concerned, Blu-ray player included.

But ... as I'm reading up on Blu-ray/audio quality, I'm not sure where my upgrade $$$ should go.

I'm under the impression that analog connections and Audysssey room correction aren't compatible ... I'd much rather have an HDMI connection anyway.
You're right in that multichannel analog audio can't be processed. However, stereo can. I.e. D+M don't provide A-to-D converters on the multichannel inputs, but they do have a pair for the stereo inputs.
Quote:
Since the decoding is done in the AVR when using the HDMI connection, as far as audio is concerned, are all Blu-ray players (like the LG BD630 that I grabbed from the exercise room) basically the same?
Nominally, yes: when bitstreaming, the same audio bits are sent from player to the receiver (or pre/pro). Some vendors claim to have lower jitter levels, though.
Quote:

Interestingly, the Oppo owner's thread, on the first page, seems to indicate that for DTS MasterAudio, the Oppo 103 can internally decode the material via analog or HDMI connection.
Most modern disc players can do that. Unfortunately, due to penny-pinching, many current generation players (including most of those from Sony and Panasonic) are limited to stereo decoders and don't provide multichannel decoders. Sony's top-of-the-line UHP-H1 BD player does have multichannel decoders. (Despite the name, it is not a 4K UHD player.)
Quote:
The two sources I'm concerned about with regards to the audio quality are (1) my classical music/opera DVDs and Blurays and (2) Hi-res digital audio from an iPad.

Finally, am I correct in assuming that the Oppo 103 has better internals and processing capability than my SR5007 receiver?

I dunno without doing some research. Its D/A circuitry is supposed to be quite good, but the 105's is better. That's irrelevant if you're going to be using Audyssey, though. That requires analog audio to be redigitized in the receiver, so you might as well bitstream over HDMI.
TomC1315 likes this.

Selden

post #19264 of 19289 Old 09-09-2016, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Panasonic BD35 needs replacing

My Panasonic BD35 is nearly 8 years old. It has stopped playing most blurays, and those it does it freezes up after about 30 minutes. I am ready to get a new player. it is hooked up via HDMI to a pioneer Kuro 60" plasma screen, using only the attached factory speakers. so I don't need fancy sound capabilities. And i have a network jack by the TV, so I don't need wireless, though I assume most current players include that. It would be nice to have a player that can do apps for youtube or hulu, but my main requirement is a good HDMI output for a 60"plasma. Do I go with a modern panasonic such as the BD93 (I don't need 3D), or is something else better at this point? When I bought this 8 years ago, it seemed like this model or an Oppo were the best, but I haven't stayed up to date on things.
post #19265 of 19289 Old 09-10-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Help me AVS, you're my only hope!

I've just spent a frustrating hour going through players on Amazon and reading reviews, and I can't believe how hard this is.

I'm looking for a new bluray player for my living room. My old one is an LG that's being booted to a den.

My requirements are super simple:

-- Blurays look great in 1080p. I don't need 3D or 4K.

-- It loads blurays fast (30 seconds or less from closing the tray to starting the disc).

-- It is fully backward compatible with DVDs. I have a lot of DVDs, including many TV series, that won't ever be available on bluray. (Some of the reviews said dual layer DVDs can be a problem for some newer players?)

That's it. I don't even need wifi or apps (love my Roku), though I know it will probably be part of the deal. I just want a great disc player.

My budget is $150 or less.

Thanks for any suggestions!
valkenaar likes this.
post #19266 of 19289 Old 09-13-2016, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-hd View Post
My Panasonic BD35 is nearly 8 years old. It has stopped playing most blurays, and those it does it freezes up after about 30 minutes. I am ready to get a new player. it is hooked up via HDMI to a pioneer Kuro 60" plasma screen, using only the attached factory speakers. so I don't need fancy sound capabilities. And i have a network jack by the TV, so I don't need wireless, though I assume most current players include that. It would be nice to have a player that can do apps for youtube or hulu, but my main requirement is a good HDMI output for a 60"plasma. Do I go with a modern panasonic such as the BD93 (I don't need 3D), or is something else better at this point? When I bought this 8 years ago, it seemed like this model or an Oppo were the best, but I haven't stayed up to date on things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
Help me AVS, you're my only hope!

I've just spent a frustrating hour going through players on Amazon and reading reviews, and I can't believe how hard this is.

I'm looking for a new bluray player for my living room. My old one is an LG that's being booted to a den.

My requirements are super simple:

-- Blurays look great in 1080p. I don't need 3D or 4K.

-- It loads blurays fast (30 seconds or less from closing the tray to starting the disc).

-- It is fully backward compatible with DVDs. I have a lot of DVDs, including many TV series, that won't ever be available on bluray. (Some of the reviews said dual layer DVDs can be a problem for some newer players?)

That's it. I don't even need wifi or apps (love my Roku), though I know it will probably be part of the deal. I just want a great disc player.

My budget is $150 or less.

Thanks for any suggestions!
It seems that you both have essentially the same requirements. Unfortunately, in the sub-$300 category, all of the manufacturers are cutting as many corners as they can, so if you get a new player, it's unlikely, but don't be surprised if you have to return it for mechanical problems. Here on AVS Sony and Panasonic players tend to have the best reputations. Sony players tend to have better streaming apps than what Panasonic players provide. Panasonic used to have more video scaling options than Sony when upscaling DVDs, but supposedly they've dropped some of those features. In either case, you should consider getting their second-from-lowest models. They typically sell for about $50 or so.
Whitearrow likes this.

Selden

post #19267 of 19289 Old 09-16-2016, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So, i think my current Panasonic 3D Bd player (220) is close to its last legs... every so often ill loose the HDMI signal while playing a film,, very annoying...
So just looking for a few good different options (anything to keep clear of.) ..... just to replace what i already have ,and would prefer to stick with either Panasonic or Sony. Kinda need to have it 3D,,and have seen a few with 4k Upscaling .
As you can see from my sig,,i have it hooked up to the Denon X2100W AVR,, energy take classic 5.0 and a SVS PB1000
So far ive narrowed it down to either the Sony BDP 6500 or the Panasonic BDT270.
Just a add on,, a friend recommended me the Samsung UBD- K8500

LG 47LW5600 (3D) - Energy take classic 5.0 - SVS PB-1000 - Panasonic BDT220 (3D) - Sony BD S350 - Insignia NS BRDVD4 (Region Free) -
Denon AVR X2100W - Harmony One Remote.

Last edited by Jben04; 09-17-2016 at 03:50 AM.
post #19268 of 19289 Old 09-18-2016, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jben04 View Post
So, i think my current Panasonic 3D Bd player (220) is close to its last legs... every so often ill loose the HDMI signal while playing a film,, very annoying...
So just looking for a few good different options (anything to keep clear of.) ..... just to replace what i already have ,and would prefer to stick with either Panasonic or Sony. Kinda need to have it 3D,,and have seen a few with 4k Upscaling .
As you can see from my sig,,i have it hooked up to the Denon X2100W AVR,, energy take classic 5.0 and a SVS PB1000
So far ive narrowed it down to either the Sony BDP 6500 or the Panasonic BDT270.
Just a add on,, a friend recommended me the Samsung UBD- K8500

Your TV is a 1080p display - the Samsung is a UHD (4K...) player, you'd be paying more for tech you can't use. So I'd stick to the other two models unless you're upgrading your display and maybe your receiver.
post #19269 of 19289 Old 09-18-2016, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just picked up a Sony BDP-S6700 to replace an old S570 and seems to be fine. Streaming, 3D, 4K upscale, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #19270 of 19289 Old 09-18-2016, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Your TV is a 1080p display - the Samsung is a UHD (4K...) player, you'd be paying more for tech you can't use. So I'd stick to the other two models unless you're upgrading your display and maybe your receiver.
Yup i was trying to plan on future proofing,, but the misses didn't like the idea of the Samsung either lol. ( she said and i quote " If you do get a new 4k Tv then just get a 4K blu ray player then " )..sounds fair to me !

LG 47LW5600 (3D) - Energy take classic 5.0 - SVS PB-1000 - Panasonic BDT220 (3D) - Sony BD S350 - Insignia NS BRDVD4 (Region Free) -
Denon AVR X2100W - Harmony One Remote.
post #19271 of 19289 Old 09-18-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jben04 View Post
Yup i was trying to plan on future proofing,, but the misses didn't like the idea of the Samsung either lol. ( she said and i quote " If you do get a new 4k Tv then just get a 4K blu ray player then " )..sounds fair to me !
Sounds positive to me, I'd say you just got pre-approved for a 4K upgrade.

I'd wait for a 4K player - you'll get a second wave of improved players in a few months, including the new Oppos. Getting a good 1080p player without spending a ton is a good strategy for now for your 1080p system.
post #19272 of 19289 Old 09-22-2016, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Slot Load or Vertical Player

does anyone make a slot-load or similar Blu-Ray/ DVD player? I want to mount it vertically, not set it on a shelf. Application is in an RV, where horizontal shelf space does not exist.

Slot load, or something that grabs the spindle, like a DVD tray in a computer, would work.

Thanks!
post #19273 of 19289 Old 09-22-2016, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRollman View Post
does anyone make a slot-load or similar Blu-Ray/ DVD player? I want to mount it vertically, not set it on a shelf. Application is in an RV, where horizontal shelf space does not exist.

Slot load, or something that grabs the spindle, like a DVD tray in a computer, would work.

Thanks!
Please refer to this post.

OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Samsung UBD-K8500, Panasonic DMP-UB900 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #19274 of 19289 Old 09-22-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_G7 View Post
Toshiba BDX5500 (includes vertical stand)
Toshiba BDX6400 (includes vertical stand, but hard to find and BDX5500 has a better rep)
Panasonic DMP-BBT01 (includes stand for vertical orientation, but very hard to find new or even used at this point)
PS3 Slim
PS3 Super Slim
PS4
Xbox One S (the new 4k version about to be released, not the older version which officially supports only horizontal placement)

All of the above have slot loaders with the exception of the PS3 super slim.
Moderator: Thanks for the redirect.

The Toshiba BDX5500 seems to be the only one available new, and it's $300. One would think that it wouldn't be that hard to find one - I can't be the only one in the world that needs or wants to mount it vertically. And no, I'm not buying a PS3/4 JUST for the video out. That's just plain stupid. And I'm not a gamer.
post #19275 of 19289 Old 09-25-2016, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

And no, I'm not buying a PS3/4 JUST for the video out. That's just plain stupid. And I'm not a gamer.
Why not? You can get one refurbed (PS3) for as cheap as $110 dollars, and they are very good Blu-ray players.
post #19276 of 19289 Old 09-26-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj66 View Post
Why not? ...
1. A matter of principle. Yeah, I know, dumb, but there you have it.

2. I don't want to have a game controller as a remote. Too bulky and an unfamiliar interface for most.

3. I don't want a game console in the RV. I'd rather not have family glued to a console, I'd rather have them out and about. And no, the TV won't be on while driving, it's buried behind a slide.
mdavej likes this.
post #19277 of 19289 Old 09-27-2016, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
1. A matter of principle. Yeah, I know, dumb, but there you have it.

2. I don't want to have a game controller as a remote. Too bulky and an unfamiliar interface for most.

3. I don't want a game console in the RV. I'd rather not have family glued to a console, I'd rather have them out and about. And no, the TV won't be on while driving, it's buried behind a slide.
Unless you wanna pay three times more than you have to, I'd just swallow your pride, buy a PS3 and set strict rules for gaming on the RV. You can get a bluetooth remote control for the PS3(both official and unofficial) and leave the controller at home, it's quite difficult to play games without the controller
post #19278 of 19289 Old 09-27-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSens View Post
Unless you wanna pay three times more than you have to, I'd just swallow your pride, buy a PS3 and set strict rules for gaming on the RV. You can get a bluetooth remote control for the PS3(both official and unofficial) and leave the controller at home, it's quite difficult to play games without the controller
There is a 4th reason I suppose... power consumption. A blu-ray player draws ~11 watts (Samsung BD-J5900 in this example). A PS3 power supply is 250 or 350 watts, and a Google search yields an average load of 200w. Granted, I'm sure the PS3 doesn't draw the full amount, but it is more power hungry. I'm already powering a TV (150w), laptop (70W), router (15w), micro-cell (10w) and an external hard drive (10w) off of that breaker (255w total).

Somewhat related, I'm guessing that the PS3 is also a bit bigger than a blu-ray player, as there is more stuff packed inside of one. I'm in an RV, so size matters.

(I did mention I was a geek, right?)

Ah well, I may not find what I want.....
post #19279 of 19289 Old 09-28-2016, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
There is a 4th reason I suppose... power consumption. A blu-ray player draws ~11 watts (Samsung BD-J5900 in this example). A PS3 power supply is 250 or 350 watts, and a Google search yields an average load of 200w. Granted, I'm sure the PS3 doesn't draw the full amount, but it is more power hungry. I'm already powering a TV (150w), laptop (70W), router (15w), micro-cell (10w) and an external hard drive (10w) off of that breaker (255w total).

Somewhat related, I'm guessing that the PS3 is also a bit bigger than a blu-ray player, as there is more stuff packed inside of one. I'm in an RV, so size matters.

(I did mention I was a geek, right?)

Ah well, I may not find what I want.....
You're right that a standalone will consume less power than a PS3, but I think the power consumption numbers you were looking at are for the original fat PS3, which was quite a power hog and not at all suitable for your needs based on size and weight. For your situation, the PS3 Slim version(the 2nd gen PS3 with the slot loading drive) would work the best and it consumes far less power than the original version:

post #19280 of 19289 Old 09-28-2016, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok, I need some help.

I have a yamaha rx-v765 AVR and a 55" 1080p LG tv. I also have a HTPC with a BD drive hooked up to the TV but I really don't want to spend $$$ on software and I haven't found any reliable free options.

So I was thinking about buying a BD player.

Since I have a HTPC I don't care about smart tv type features or steaming. All I really need is a single HDMI out. And the ability to bitstream to my AVR. I don't need 3D. Or region free. I don't have wired internet near the TV so I do need wifi mainly for updates - I don't care much about the live content. I have an learning remote so even that isn't important. Fast load times would be nice - but I wouldn't pay $100 vs $40 for 30sec load times vs 50 sec load times. But I might pay $60 vs $40 for 30sec load times vs 60 second load times.

There is a refurb BD-JM57 on amazon for $42 that has wifi. Any reason not to go for this ultra cheap model? I am sure it's a 2015 model if not 2014 does that really matter?

Last edited by mizary; 09-28-2016 at 03:25 PM.
post #19281 of 19289 Old Today, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizary View Post
Ok, I need some help.

I have a yamaha rx-v765 AVR and a 55" 1080p LG tv. I also have a HTPC with a BD drive hooked up to the TV but I really don't want to spend $$$ on software and I haven't found any reliable free options.

So I was thinking about buying a BD player.

Since I have a HTPC I don't care about smart tv type features or steaming. All I really need is a single HDMI out. And the ability to bitstream to my AVR. I don't need 3D. Or region free. I don't have wired internet near the TV so I do need wifi mainly for updates - I don't care much about the live content. I have an learning remote so even that isn't important. Fast load times would be nice - but I wouldn't pay $100 vs $40 for 30sec load times vs 50 sec load times. But I might pay $60 vs $40 for 30sec load times vs 60 second load times.

There is a refurb BD-JM57 on amazon for $42 that has wifi. Any reason not to go for this ultra cheap model? I am sure it's a 2015 model if not 2014 does that really matter?
Sony and Panasonic tend to be the preferred Blu-ray manufacturers here. Their firmware tends to be less buggy than the competition's. Sony tends to have more apps. Panasonic tends to have more upscaling options for DVDs, although they seem to have removed some of those options in their most recent models. In either case, you should be able to find entry level models priced in the vicinity of $50.

Selden

post #19282 of 19289 Old Today, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Sony and Panasonic tend to be the preferred Blu-ray manufacturers here. Their firmware tends to be less buggy than the competition's. Sony tends to have more apps. Panasonic tends to have more upscaling options for DVDs, although they seem to have removed some of those options in their most recent models. In either case, you should be able to find entry level models priced in the vicinity of $50.
Bitsream and load is my only concern. My old Sammy is having issues loading certain discs...sometimes I have to insert it several times before it will read it and load.
Do those inexpensive players tend to load ok?
I did spray some compressed air in to the open drawer, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Perhaps I'll take it apart and clean the laser.
post #19283 of 19289 Old Today, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martynic View Post
Bitsream and load is my only concern. My old Sammy is having issues loading certain discs...sometimes I have to insert it several times before it will read it and load.
Do those inexpensive players tend to load ok?
I did spray some compressed air in to the open drawer, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Perhaps I'll take it apart and clean the laser.
All of the "inexpensive" (those less than ~$300) players use the cheapest available drive mechanisms that are available at the time they need them. (Most use "just in time" production scheduling to minimize on-site storage.) As a result, you can't predict drive noise or reliability. In general, they load just fine, though.

Another thing to try would be a drive cleaning disc. They're available just about everywhere.
martynic likes this.

Selden

post #19284 of 19289 Old Today, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I wanna get a Blu-ray player , I don't wanna get a ps4 , I'd like to get a good Blu-ray player for under 100 euros , I don't trust most reviews because they rate the streaming capabilities of the player and extras , I really dont care since when I want I just plug in my laptop via HDMI .

Another big thing is that there are Players that upscale the Blu-ray to 4k ( and they are more expensive) but doesn't the TV does this on its own (I have a ks8000) ? So why spend more ?

Pretty much every Player has the same Picture Quality , right? What changes are the extras and the upscaling capabilities.

I was thinking of getting a simple Player like the Sony BDP-S3700 or invest in a xbox one s.

Last edited by chadpetree; Today at 11:02 AM.
post #19285 of 19289 Old Today, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadpetree View Post
I wanna get a Blu-ray player , I don't wanna get a ps4 , I'd like to get a good Blu-ray player for under 100 euros , I don't trust most reviews because they rate the streaming capabilities of the player and extras , I really dont care since when I want I just plug in my laptop via HDMI .
Unfortunately, some streaming services provide a higher grade of signal when you use a dedicated streaming device than they allow when you access them using a computer. That might or might not matter to you.
Quote:

Another big thing is that there are Players that upscale the Blu-ray to 4k ( and they are more expensive) but doesn't the TV does this on its own (I have a ks8000) ? So why spend more ?
Some inexpensive TVs only do line-doubling when upscaling. Some Blu-ray players use interpolation instead and thus produce a better viewing experience. Sometimes you have to compare the two to discover which is better.
Quote:

Pretty much every Player has the same Picture Quality , right? What changes are the extras and the upscaling capabilities.
Correct.
Quote:

I was thinking of getting a simple Player like the Sony BDP-S3700 or invest in a xbox one s.
The XB1S cannot bitstream audio. It always decodes Blu-ray soundtracks to PCM. As a result, it doesn't provide access to Atmos or DTS:X immersive audio. In contrast, the BDP-S3700 can bitstream audio. Depending on your audio system, this might or might not matter to you.

Selden

post #19286 of 19289 Old Today, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, some streaming services provide a higher grade of signal when you use a dedicated streaming device than they allow when you access them using a computer. That might or might not matter to you. Some inexpensive TVs only do line-doubling when upscaling. Some Blu-ray players use interpolation instead and thus produce a better viewing experience. Sometimes you have to compare the two to discover which is better. Correct. The XB1S cannot bitstream audio. It always decodes Blu-ray soundtracks to PCM. As a result, it doesn't provide access to Atmos or DTS:X immersive audio. In contrast, the BDP-S3700 can bitstream audio. Depending on your audio system, this might or might not matter to you.
Thanks for quick answer!

The Streaming part doesnt concern me that much because my tv is pretty high end Samsung ks8000 aha their top of the line suhd , so I can use their YouTube app.

I couldnt find out which scaling method the tv uses to upscale Content , I'm guessing it's Extrapolation ( I could be wrong ) but according to reviews the method Samsung uses it's very good.

My question would be , when playing Blu-ray Discs who takes care of the upscaling , the tv or the Player?

About the Audio I'm not planning on spending more than 300 euros on a soundsystem , so it Looks like 5.1 ist out of the question for me, and a soundbar it's in the Cards, so it shouldnt concern me , right? It may actually be beneficial since the xbox would be the one doing the Decoding and not the soundbar, am I right?
post #19287 of 19289 Old Today, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks for quick answer!

The Streaming part doesnt concern me that much because my tv is pretty high end Samsung ks8000 aha their top of the line suhd , so I can use their YouTube app.

I couldnt find out which scaling method the tv uses to upscale Content , I'm guessing it's Extrapolation ( I could be wrong ) but according to reviews the method Samsung uses it's very good.

My question would be , when playing Blu-ray Discs who takes care of the upscaling , the tv or the Player?
Whichever you want. If the player doesn't upscale, the TV does. The TV always upscales any signal that doesn't match the resolution of its display panel. As you say, Samsung is known for having very good upscaling.
Quote:
About the Audio I'm not planning on spending more than 300 euros on a soundsystem , so it Looks like 5.1 ist out of the question for me, and a soundbar it's in the Cards, so it shouldnt concern me , right? It may actually be beneficial since the xbox would be the one doing the Decoding and not the soundbar, am I right?
It seems you want to get an XB1S Given the limitations you mention, it should be fine. Of course, it has many features (like gaming) that a Blu-ray player can't provide.

Selden

post #19288 of 19289 Old Today, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Whichever you want. If the player doesn't upscale, the TV does. The TV always upscales any signal that doesn't match the resolution of its display panel. As you say, Samsung is known for having very good upscaling.

It seems you want to get an XB1S Given the limitations you mention, it should be fine. Of course, it has many features (like gaming) that a Blu-ray player can't provide.
And if I get a player that does upscaling can I turn it off ? Let's say I get a player with crappy upscaling capabilities , which are inferior to the TV's , so can I just let the tv do its magic ?

Haha I do wanna get a Xbox one s but to be honest , I cannot justify the price difference since I know I'm not going play with it , the best thing about having the Xbox would be having a device where can I just have all the streaming services like YouTube / Netflix /Spotify AND the Blu-ray ... All in one place and without having to deal with the crappy tizen os.

If I get the Sony player at 84 euros and an Xbox one s controller at 55 euros ( to use with my laptop to play games on the tv ) it would be still 161 euros cheaper than getting an Xbox one s ) which does come with the controller I would still use to play the PC games ).

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk
post #19289 of 19289 Old Today, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
And if I get a player that does upscaling can I turn it off ? Let's say I get a player with crappy upscaling capabilities , which are inferior to the TV's , so can I just let the tv do its magic ?
Yes. Of course, a player with a 4K upscaler is more expensive than one that doesn't upscale. If the TV's upscaler is good enough, then you could save that money and spend it on something else.
Quote:

Haha I do wanna get a Xbox one s but to be honest , I cannot justify the price difference since I know I'm not going play with it , the best thing about having the Xbox would be having a device where can I just have all the streaming services like YouTube / Netflix /Spotify AND the Blu-ray ... All in one place and without having to deal with the crappy tizen os.

If I get the Sony player at 84 euros and an Xbox one s controller at 55 euros ( to use with my laptop to play games on the tv ) it would be still 161 euros cheaper than getting an Xbox one s ) which does come with the controller I would still use to play the PC games ).

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

Selden

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bd-30 , Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , blu-ray 3d , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , control , counter , Dts , dvd player , flac , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , multichannel analog , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , player , quality , S390 , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , slow , smart , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , usb , video quality , wifi , zoom

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page