AVS Forum banner
3M views 20K replies 5K participants last post by  cullam 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
[mod note] If you start a new thread asking for advice on buying a new BD player and the thread is merged into this thread, go to the end of thread and your original post should be there, maybe back a few posts. And you may already have some input. [/mod note]

I need help. Which bluray player is the best regardless of price thats not a major concern for me i just want the best bluray player in you opinion. Thank you i really need help with this one cause i have no knowledge of this subject

#12,861 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman /forum/post/21513985

Thanks, what is the flaw in sony upconversion?

Slightly softer image and more jaggies than other players.

Composite will look much worse. Component might look better assuming your receiver can upconvert from those inputs and does a better job than sony. But your player doesn't have component outputs, so that's not an option.

Keep in mind these upconversion differences are very small, and there's only so much you can do to improve a 480 image. It sounds like you expect a dramatic improvement from a new player. That simply isn't going to happen, even if you get an Oppo. It will look a little better, but not night and day. So save the money you would have spent on a player and buy/rent more blu-ray discs instead.

#12,863 ·
I know the performance differences of these but what I'm looking for is a problem free player. I've read praising reviews of the Sony and bad reviews of the LG, for having all kinds of problems.

These have been at stores and months ago, so I don't know if I can trust them.

What's everyone's opinion.

I like the Sony for SACD but like the LG for it's proprietary functions with my LG TV along with CD recording to a flash drive.

However I want the most reliable. I have a Panasonic 85 right now and it's a pain in the butt. Its super slow, and the smart features get buggy. I would love a 3D player with 7.1 analog outputs but they are so expensive, it would be better to just buy a new receiver. BUT I do love my Denon AVR-3803's amp section.

Thanks

#12,864 ·
Hmm, DVD films generally look very good; my main objection is the judder noticeable on films, but it's there with blu ray movies as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/21515813

Slightly softer image and more jaggies than other players.

Composite will look much worse. Component might look better assuming your receiver can upconvert from those inputs and does a better job than sony. But your player doesn't have component outputs, so that's not an option.

Keep in mind these upconversion differences are very small, and there's only so much you can do to improve a 480 image. It sounds like you expect a dramatic improvement from a new player. That simply isn't going to happen, even if you get an Oppo. It will look a little better, but not night and day. So save the money you would have spent on a player and buy/rent more blu-ray discs instead.

#12,865 ·
DVD looks fine on sony, it just looks a bit better on other players. If you're having problems with judder, then you either have your player/tv configured wrong, or your tv isn't 24p or you have unrealistic expectations of 24p. Such a low frame rate is naturally going to have judder, just like it does in the theater. If you want to artificially smooth it out, your tv can probably do that if configured properly.

#12,868 ·
read my previous statement on judder and jaggies what you see is part and parcel of ntsc transfer...

ti doesn't matter whether it is a straight through connection or connected through an avr or processor you will see the same issue..

the judder you see is the 1.5 image associated with a 30fps, there is no cure for it other than actually putting the dvd through a re-author prior to you playing it... as you need to remove the telecined image so you can watch things at a native 24fps, or 48fps watching 70mm+ presentations..

changing your tv will not fix the judder and jaggies issues you currently have in playing content at 24fps..

#12,869 ·
I'm somewhat of a newbie in home theater and looking for advice on a good player. My system will consist of Pioneer Elite Sc-35 receiver and Def Tech Procinema 800 speakers. I realise there are many facters such as price. I'm willing to spend around 500$. So if anyone has some sound advice in to which player i should get, it would be more than welcome. Thanks.

#12,871 ·
In need of some help deciding between the Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Pioneer BDP-52/53 or Oppo BDP-93?

I currently own the Panasonic BDT310 and recently purchased the Pioneer VSX-1121 receiver. Found out that this receiver does not have 7.1 analog output in order for me to play SACD & DVD-Audio with my Pioneer DV-47A DVD player.

I want to know if I should just keep the Panasonic and just listen to my SACD & DVD-A in Dolby Digital or sell it and get either one of the Pioneer's or Oppo?

Judging from reviews I've read Pioneer BDP-52 had some earlier problems, but I think that they have been corrected. Not sure if it will better to go with the BDP-53 instead.

The main reason I consider the Pioneers is that they have PQLS.

I do watch both 2D & 3D blu-rays, so that is important.

I have PS3, so Netflix won't be a problem...can also watch it via Panasonic GT30 VieraCast too.

Pioneer BDP-52 will cost $400.

Both Pioneer BDP-53 & Oppo BDP-93 will be $500.

Plan to sell my Panasonic for $150. The Pioneer DV-47A for $100.

Budget is tight, but enough to stretch for either one...selling both will help.

Really need some good advice on what I should do.

Thanks!

#12,872 ·
I've got about 3 dozen blu ray disks now, and pretty much the only scene where judder was a serious problem was in the diner scene of star wars ep. 2. For a few seconds, the judder is terrible.

Overall, the judder is much less pronounced watching blu rays than it is in films I see in theaters. Then again, the enormous screen size may have something to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/21522737

DVD looks fine on sony, it just looks a bit better on other players. If you're having problems with judder, then you either have your player/tv configured wrong, or your tv isn't 24p or you have unrealistic expectations of 24p. Such a low frame rate is naturally going to have judder, just like it does in the theater. If you want to artificially smooth it out, your tv can probably do that if configured properly.

#12,873 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanskie /forum/post/21533968

I'm somewhat of a newbie in home theater and looking for advice on a good player. My system will consist of Pioneer Elite Sc-35 receiver and Def Tech Procinema 800 speakers. I realise there are many facters such as price. I'm willing to spend around 500$. So if anyone has some sound advice in to which player i should get, it would be more than welcome. Thanks.

At that price range, the Oppo 93 is an excellent player. But if you don't need/want SACD/DVD-A or analog audio output, you can get equal performance for BluRay and SD DVD discs with less expensive players such as the Panny 110 (wired internet) or 210 (WiFi).

#12,874 ·
Hello folks,

I'm starting to see 3 major options in the blu ray sea of options.

1) Get Oppo 93 for $500 and it can do just about anything.

2) Get PS3 because you get a game system with it. But if it's only for blu ray (cause you have xbox), it runs hot and the remote needs an extra part to work with a universal.

3) Get the cheapest thing that kicks out (PCM i think) to your receiver (for me is Integra 40.3 and a great video processor) to decode the signal.

Is this right?

Of course there are the bells and whistles, but most everyone carries the major player (Netflix, pandora, ect...). and this can be the deciding factor amongst which of the cheaper players.

I need to go ahead and get one very soon as in tomorrow if possible.. please advise.

pete

#12,875 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragion /forum/post/21534088

In need of some help deciding between the Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Pioneer BDP-52/53 or Oppo BDP-93?

I currently own the Panasonic BDT310 and recently purchased the Pioneer VSX-1121 receiver. Found out that this receiver does not have 7.1 analog output in order for me to play SACD & DVD-Audio with my Pioneer DV-47A DVD player.

I want to know if I should just keep the Panasonic and just listen to my SACD & DVD-A in Dolby Digital or sell it and get either one of the Pioneer's or Oppo?

Judging from reviews I've read Pioneer BDP-52 had some earlier problems, but I think that they have been corrected. Not sure if it will better to go with the BDP-53 instead.

The main reason I consider the Pioneers is that they have PQLS.

I do watch both 2D & 3D blu-rays, so that is important.

I have PS3, so Netflix won't be a problem...can also watch it via Panasonic GT30 VieraCast too.

Pioneer BDP-52 will cost $400.

Both Pioneer BDP-53 & Oppo BDP-93 will be $500.

Plan to sell my Panasonic for $150. The Pioneer DV-47A for $100.

Budget is tight, but enough to stretch for either one...selling both will help.

Really need some good advice on what I should do.

Thanks!

UPDATE:

Decided to go with the Oppo BDP-93 from Amazon for $499.99 shipped.

Now all I need to do is to sell both the Pioneer DV-47a & the Panasonic DMP-BDT310 to help pay for it!

Anyone interested?

#12,877 ·
What 3D Bluray player at @ $150, $250, $500...

I am trying to come to grips with what I should pick and spend on a new 3D BluRay player for my home dedicated theater under construction. I will pair this with an Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver and Epson 5010 PJ... I have trouble really understanding what the difference in the bluray players at different price points really are, it seem it comes down to the video processing chips. The Onkyo I will use also has some video chips it could use from processing including the HQV Vida processor but perhaps the ones in the blurray players are much better?

Trying to decide where the sweet spot is and it seems that they break down into the $150 or less, around $250, and $500+ (Oppo 93 etc.) type players. What do you recommend and where are the "value" points if I don't just go with an expensive but super well recommended Oppo?

Thanks!

#12,878 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by basementdweller1 /forum/post/21541362

What 3D Bluray player at @ $150, $250, $500...

I am trying to come to grips with what I should pick and spend on a new 3D BluRay player for my home dedicated theater under construction. I will pair this with an Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver and Epson 5010 PJ... I have trouble really understanding what the difference in the bluray players at different price points really are, it seem it comes down to the video processing chips. The Onkyo I will use also has some video chips it could use from processing including the HQV Vida processor but perhaps the ones in the blurray players are much better?

Trying to decide where the sweet spot is and it seems that they break down into the $150 or less, around $250, and $500+ (Oppo 93 etc.) type players. What do you recommend and where are the "value" points if I don't just go with an expensive but super well recommended Oppo?

Thanks!

@ $150 I would choose the Panasonic BPT210 as the best value player. It is a very fast loader and decent upscaling of DVDs. If you aren't sure about spending $500+ on a player I would start here. I gave up a Marantz UD5005 and Anthem BLX200 for the Panasonic. It is significantly faster than the Marantz, and it hasn't freezed up or had firmware issues. Unless you need SACD or analog out I'm starting to think it's not worth the price of the premium players.

#12,880 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM /forum/post/21541774

Really? Or just on smaller screens/longer viewing distances?

GM

Yes, really. It is well documented that PQ differences between players for BluRay discs are very small (some say none at all). And for SD DVDs, the Pannys are just as good as the Oppos (as long as you disable the Super Resolution setting). Oppos shine for analog audio, build quality, reliability, and customer service, to name a few (so yes, the Oppos are outstanding players), but IMO they are no better for PQ than Panny.