OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE - Page 646 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 194Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19351 of 19365 Old 11-23-2016, 05:27 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello Guys,
I'am looking for a BD player, which is capable of modifying the position of the picture through HDMI port.
My problem is: when I watch a BD movie, which does not have 16:9 aspect ratio, than of course I will have black bars on the top and on the bottom of the screen. On TV it is acceptable, however when it comes to watching movies on a projector, it is really annoying to watch these big black bars. Anyway, I can solve this problem when I play content from my PC, because in the player, I can modify the picture position, so I move it to the upper edge of the screen, and than I will have double black bars on the bottom of the screen, but I isn't a problem, because I can roll up the screen, just to fit for the current content, and behind the screen I have black curtain installed, so nothing is visible from the bars. Now, I want to do the same thing, with BD player...
Any suggestion?
Zoltán Görbe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19352 of 19365 Old 11-23-2016, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 11,262
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltán Görbe View Post
Hello Guys,
I'am looking for a BD player, which is capable of modifying the position of the picture through HDMI port.
My problem is: when I watch a BD movie, which does not have 16:9 aspect ratio, than of course I will have black bars on the top and on the bottom of the screen. On TV it is acceptable, however when it comes to watching movies on a projector, it is really annoying to watch these big black bars. Anyway, I can solve this problem when I play content from my PC, because in the player, I can modify the picture position, so I move it to the upper edge of the screen, and than I will have double black bars on the bottom of the screen, but I isn't a problem, because I can roll up the screen, just to fit for the current content, and behind the screen I have black curtain installed, so nothing is visible from the bars. Now, I want to do the same thing, with BD player...
Any suggestion?
Even Oppo players don't have that feature.

Some people use black velvet to cover the parts of the screen exposed to unwanted light from the projector. More expensive options are to get an external video processor or a new projector which includes that feature. Or you can rip your Blu-rays to a disk on your PC.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #19353 of 19365 Old 11-26-2016, 01:36 PM
Senior Member
 
rvs053063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need Blu Ray Player to work with old AV eqpt.

Hi. My PS3 has bit the dust. It was connected to my old TV via DVI and my old sound system with optical. Every player I see today uses HDMI. What options do I have for buying a new player? How would I get it to connect to these old devices? I understand there are HDMI to DVI converters that I can buy pretty cheaply, but what do I do about sound? Thanks.
rvs053063 is offline  
post #19354 of 19365 Old 11-26-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 11,262
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs053063 View Post
Hi. My PS3 has bit the dust. It was connected to my old TV via DVI and my old sound system with optical. Every player I see today uses HDMI. What options do I have for buying a new player? How would I get it to connect to these old devices? I understand there are HDMI to DVI converters that I can buy pretty cheaply, but what do I do about sound? Thanks.
Many Blu-ray players include a coax digital audio output. The Sony BDP-S3700 does, for example. Your receiver probably has both optical and coax digital audio inputs.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #19355 of 19365 Old 11-26-2016, 04:12 PM
Senior Member
 
rvs053063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the tip. I bought this one with a dvi adapter and a coaxial cable.
rvs053063 is offline  
post #19356 of 19365 Old 11-27-2016, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 7,726
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Deals talk is done in the deals area. Otherwise if you are looking for an UHD player, please use this thread.

Official "Help Me Choose an UHD Player" Thread

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Samsung UBD-K8500, Panasonic DMP-UB900 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #19357 of 19365 Old 11-29-2016, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AmishFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: too close to kentucky
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'm looking at possibly getting a new bluray player soon my S580 still works but the streaming apps are mostly dated to the point they either don't work or are feature limited (netflix for example with no 1080p or 5.1ch support)

i'm toying with the idea of buying a new tv but my budget means the best i could pull off is the samsung UN50KU6300 (i can get it for $320 after tax) and i'm slightly on the fence... i may still buy the bluray player so i can retire the old one to a different room (not quite ready to jump into UHD players yet)

at the same time my AVR is also a bit old (Marantz SR4002) and doesn't accept DTS-HD or TrueHD (just PCM for lossless) so i have some questions about the Samasung BD-JM57, LG BMP-35, and Sony BDP-S3700

1. how is the file playback support from USB
2. i'm assuming these players will decode DD+, TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc to PCM?
3. any hangups on the streaming apps side i should know about?
4. wifi support... any of these dual band? ac? or just single band n?

bonus... if anyone can convince me either way on the TV
AmishFury is offline  
post #19358 of 19365 Old 11-29-2016, 10:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Recommendation for blu ray player and sacd, DVD-a playback

I am looking for which players I can compare that have:

SACD
DVD-A
5.1 pre outs (may not be nessessary depending on how the above can get sent to a receiver with or without HDMI)
4K upscalling probbaly not nessessary since my 4K tv should already do that??
Good standard DVD playback

This is more of my audio playback machine that can do video if needed. Will get a UHD player once more options are available. Would like like to be under $500

Thanks.
Stifflergolf is offline  
post #19359 of 19365 Old 11-29-2016, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mkard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Great Southwestern Heatsink
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifflergolf View Post
I am looking for which players I can compare that have:

SACD
DVD-A
5.1 pre outs (may not be nessessary depending on how the above can get sent to a receiver with or without HDMI)
4K upscalling probbaly not nessessary since my 4K tv should already do that??
Good standard DVD playback

This is more of my audio playback machine that can do video if needed. Will get a UHD player once more options are available. Would like like to be under $500

Thanks.
Stiffler,

With that budget, don't fool around. Get your self a good deal on the soon to be replaced OPPO BDP-103. Does all that you ask,Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-Audio and DVD video up-scaling is amongst the best. Read for yourself at
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

These units should be moving at a reduced price now, as the "Universal" BD and ULTRA HD/HDR player ?-203? is due to be released in the next few weeks.

Local craigslist, Audiomart, Audiogon, or other re-sale venues can also be considered as OPPO's customer service is unparalleled with affordable repairs "forever". And, they are just good folk to deal with. Yes, I do own OPPOs but nothing newer than 5-years ago. Both work great.

If you haven't leapt on the UHD display yet, certainly optimize for your 1080p set for now as there are few UHD players yet, and I think the market needs another season before that would be a buying choice for me. Good luck regardless.

Mkard
hernanu likes this.


Last edited by Mkard; 11-29-2016 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Correct link
Mkard is offline  
post #19360 of 19365 Old 11-30-2016, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 11,262
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury View Post
i'm looking at possibly getting a new bluray player soon my S580 still works but the streaming apps are mostly dated to the point they either don't work or are feature limited (netflix for example with no 1080p or 5.1ch support)

i'm toying with the idea of buying a new tv but my budget means the best i could pull off is the samsung UN50KU6300 (i can get it for $320 after tax) and i'm slightly on the fence... i may still buy the bluray player so i can retire the old one to a different room (not quite ready to jump into UHD players yet)

at the same time my AVR is also a bit old (Marantz SR4002) and doesn't accept DTS-HD or TrueHD (just PCM for lossless) so i have some questions about the Samasung BD-JM57, LG BMP-35, and Sony BDP-S3700

1. how is the file playback support from USB
2. i'm assuming these players will decode DD+, TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc to PCM?
3. any hangups on the streaming apps side i should know about?
4. wifi support... any of these dual band? ac? or just single band n?

bonus... if anyone can convince me either way on the TV
Unfortunately, most current Blu-ray disc players include only stereo, not multichannel Dolby or DTS decoders. The manufacturers are minimizing the license fees they have to pay to Dolby and DTS. This limitation is present in all three of the players you list above. As a result, the PCM they provide is only stereo when they play soundtracks encoded using any of the various types of Dolby and DTS encodings. To get multichannel audio, you''ll have to settle for lossy Dolby or DTS.

This is the case for all of the current "low priced" Sony x700 players, for example, although the top-of-the-line Sony UHD-H1 does include multichannel decoding. Unfortunately it lists for over $300. Oppo's players also include multichannel decoders, but they start at about $500.

I'll have to leave it to you to look through the manuals of the devices provided by the other manufacturers.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #19361 of 19365 Old 11-30-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AmishFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: too close to kentucky
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Unfortunately, most current Blu-ray disc players include only stereo, not multichannel Dolby or DTS decoders. The manufacturers are minimizing the license fees they have to pay to Dolby and DTS. This limitation is present in all three of the players you list above. As a result, the PCM they provide is only stereo when they play soundtracks encoded using any of the various types of Dolby and DTS encodings. To get multichannel audio, you''ll have to settle for lossy Dolby or DTS.

This is the case for all of the current "low priced" Sony x700 players, for example, although the top-of-the-line Sony UHD-H1 does include multichannel decoding. Unfortunately it lists for over $300. Oppo's players also include multichannel decoders, but they start at about $500.

I'll have to leave it to you to look through the manuals of the devices provided by the other manufacturers.
just checked the manuals online and it looks like i'm sticking with the S580 then until i make the jump to a UHD player
AmishFury is offline  
post #19362 of 19365 Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking for a new Blu-ray player

Just got a 65KS8000 and my old Blu-ray player started acting up. It has hard locked in the middle of the last to movies I played in it. I am looking at the Sony BDPS3700. I plan to use the KS8000 for smart apps, so I don't really care about how smart the Blu-ray players is. But what about 4K up scaling? Should I get a Blu-ray player that would do it or just let the KS8000 handle it?
emedlin is online now  
post #19363 of 19365 Old Today, 12:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 12,269
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8771 Post(s)
Liked: 7129
Get a 4k blu ray player. If on a budget, go with the samsung 4k k8500.
ray0414 is offline  
post #19364 of 19365 Old Today, 01:02 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wasn't looking to spend that much. And if I don't plan on buying any 4K Blu-ray disks does it give me much over a normal Blu-ray player or even one that up scales to 4K?
emedlin is online now  
post #19365 of 19365 Old Today, 01:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 12,269
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8771 Post(s)
Liked: 7129
Quote:
Originally Posted by emedlin View Post
Wasn't looking to spend that much. And if I don't plan on buying any 4K Blu-ray disks does it give me much over a normal Blu-ray player or even one that up scales to 4K?

"Upscaling" is kind of a sham. Normally, the tv does a better job than the player so not many people use it. The k8500 tho has been severely discounted recently, in case you didn't know.


Edit, looks like it went back up in price a little. It was on major black Friday sales for a week.
ray0414 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bd-30 , Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , blu-ray 3d , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , control , counter , Dts , dvd player , dvd-a , flac , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , multichannel analog , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , player , quality , S390 , sacd , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , slow , smart , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , usb , video quality , wifi , zoom



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off