OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE - Page 649 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 199Likes

post #19441 of 19446 Old 02-11-2017, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would really appreciate suggestions on a new BD player.

I have been using a PS4 but I think I might enjoy a dedicated player more. Right now I would like a player that compliments and makes the most of my receiver and projector (Yamaha RX-A700 and BenQ HT2050 w/93" screen) but I don't think I need anything that is more capable than they are. In other words, I don't care about 3D or 4K right now. As much as I love and still use my Oppo 980H, I think a new Oppo would be total overkill for my current setup and I'll upgrade my player if and when I decide to go that route. Also, I don't think I need streaming capabilities - PS4 seems to work fine and I have a dedicated Cat6 connection so I don't need WiFi.

I don't think this player would get a ton of use - my kids mostly stream stuff. But about every other weekend, I like to grab a disk.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19442 of 19446 Old 02-11-2017, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by brussell View Post

I have been using a PS4 but I think I might enjoy a dedicated player more. Right now I would like a player that compliments and makes the most of my receiver and projector (Yamaha RX-A700 and BenQ HT2050 w/93" screen) but I don't think I need anything that is more capable than they are. In other words, I don't care about 3D or 4K right now. As much as I love and still use my Oppo 980H, I think a new Oppo would be total overkill for my current setup and I'll upgrade my player if and when I decide to go that route. Also, I don't think I need streaming capabilities - PS4 seems to work fine and I have a dedicated Cat6 connection so I don't need WiFi.

I don't think this player would get a ton of use - my kids mostly stream stuff. But about every other weekend, I like to grab a disk.

Most here recommend a Sony or Panasonic. Check their websites (or Best Buy website) to see which model best meets your needs based on features.
post #19443 of 19446 Old Today, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brussell View Post

I have the exact usage for mine as you do - but when I do watch movies (and I watch a LOT), I like to have the best A/V I can get.
I will not move to 4K and have zero interest in 3D or streaming...I do have an Oppo but am considering an upgrade to the new Oppo to get even better A/V from my current BR library...so I wonder will the new 203 give me that or should I just stay with my 103...

post #19444 of 19446 Old Today, 11:16 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2705 Post(s)
Liked: 1928
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiHigh View Post
BR library...so I wonder will the new 203 give me that or should I just stay with my 103...
For Blu-ray only you don't have a lot of pressure to upgrade. A/V performance of the two players is going to be very similar.

The FAQ has a features comparison: How is the UDP-203 different from the BDP-103?

-Bill
hifiHigh likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #19445 of 19446 Old Today, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked: 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiHigh View Post
I have the exact usage for mine as you do - but when I do watch movies (and I watch a LOT), I like to have the best A/V I can get.
I will not move to 4K and have zero interest in 3D or streaming...I do have an Oppo but am considering an upgrade to the new Oppo to get even better A/V from my current BR library...so I wonder will the new 203 give me that or should I just stay with my 103...
Even if you stay with a 1080p display, using a 4K player like the 203 might be appropriate.

At the very least, quite a few 4K titles include immersive audio tracks (Atmos or DTS:X) while the equivalent Blu-ray discs do not.

Also, in principle at least, downscaling a 4K image to 1080p can produce a better image than viewing an equivalent image which was produced at 1080p. However, it isn't obvious if downscaling the colors from REC 2020 to REC 709 actually is done all that well in current players.

You might want to discuss this in the thread dedicated to the Oppo 203.
hifiHigh likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #19446 of 19446 Old Today, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bd-30 , Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , blu-ray 3d , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , control , counter , Dts , dvd player , dvd-a , flac , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , multichannel analog , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , player , quality , S390 , sacd , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , slow , smart , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , usb , video quality , wifi , zoom

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page