OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE - Page 652 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 224Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19531 of 19550 Old 04-16-2017, 07:38 AM
Newbie
 
NewbieHereok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PS4 as blu-ray playback?

Hello,
I was wondering if I upgrade to a OPPO player will I get "much" better picture quality on my 55` inch tv compared to now when using PS4?
(There was a huge improvment when I went from PS3 to PS4)
NewbieHereok is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19532 of 19550 Old 04-16-2017, 11:09 PM
Senior Member
 
gopala33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 12
bluray player

i looking bluray player for without cinavia
i want cinavia Free
list bluray player model
gopala33 is offline  
post #19533 of 19550 Old 04-17-2017, 04:59 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 21,588
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2940 Post(s)
Liked: 2177
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopala33 View Post
i looking bluray player for without cinavia
i want cinavia Free
list bluray player model
You'll need to get a player that is several years old. That route has its own issues. How far back are you willing to go and what is your price ceiling?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
 
post #19534 of 19550 Old 04-17-2017, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopala33 View Post
i looking bluray player for without cinavia
i want cinavia Free
list bluray player model
some models that are cinavia free with their latest firmware & should serve your purpose include:
Sony - s350, s550, s1000es, s5000es (very pricey), s570
Panasonic - dmp-bd35, bd55, bd65, bd85

I would recommend a Panasonic dmp-bd65 (if your connection to your receiver is via hdmi) or the bd85 if you need multi-channel analog audio connections. Both these models support some streaming. I find the Panasonic models are much more forgiving of poorly manufactured BDs than the Sonys. The BD85 was packaged with a wi-fi dongle when new, but not always included when buying used. All my Sony & Panasonic players have been very reliable.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #19535 of 19550 Old 04-17-2017, 11:17 AM
Senior Member
 
gopala33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
some models that are cinavia free with their latest firmware & should serve your purpose include:
Sony - s350, s550, s1000es, s5000es (very pricey), s570
Panasonic - dmp-bd35, bd55, bd65, bd85

I would recommend a Panasonic dmp-bd65 (if your connection to your receiver is via hdmi) or the bd85 if you need multi-channel analog audio connections. Both these models support some streaming. I find the Panasonic models are much more forgiving of poorly manufactured BDs than the Sonys. The BD85 was packaged with a wi-fi dongle when new, but not always included when buying used. All my Sony & Panasonic players have been very reliable.
how about model Sony BDP-S590
gopala33 is offline  
post #19536 of 19550 Old 04-17-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopala33 View Post
how about model Sony BDP-S590
No - all Sony models later than the s570 series are crippled with cinavia in the firmware.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #19537 of 19550 Old 04-18-2017, 10:33 PM
Newbie
 
HesterDW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi all! The last Blu-ray player I purchased was a Sony S360 back in '09 so I feel like I may be starting from scratch. At the risk of sounding dumb, have there been any major advances in players since then, specifically advances that improved 1080p picture quality? Of course the S360 doesn't compare to an Oppo, but in relation to current entry-level players, has picture quality improved?

I have a 4k TV but it isn't HDR, so I feel like UHD Blu-ray player probably isn't worth it just yet? And if 1080p players haven't improved much I may just keep the S360 until I'm ready to move to UHD Blu-ray.
HesterDW is offline  
post #19538 of 19550 Old 04-18-2017, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by HesterDW View Post
Hi all! The last Blu-ray player I purchased was a Sony S360 back in '09 so I feel like I may be starting from scratch. At the risk of sounding dumb, have there been any major advances in players since then, specifically advances that improved 1080p picture quality? Of course the S360 doesn't compare to an Oppo, but in relation to current entry-level players, has picture quality improved?

I have a 4k TV but it isn't HDR, so I feel like UHD Blu-ray player probably isn't worth it just yet? And if 1080p players haven't improved much I may just keep the S360 until I'm ready to move to UHD Blu-ray.
If your S360 is functioning correctly, and you are feeding the video signal to your TV via HDMI, I doubt you will see any appreciable difference from a newer player. A true/complete 4k HDR setup playing true 4k mastered media would surely be a step up.
49Merc likes this.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #19539 of 19550 Old 04-19-2017, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,215
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHereok View Post
Hello,
I was wondering if I upgrade to a OPPO player will I get "much" better picture quality on my 55` inch tv compared to now when using PS4?
(There was a huge improvment when I went from PS3 to PS4)
If you saw a huge difference between PS3 and PS4 when there is none, then you will also see a huge difference when you try another model you believe to be better.
mdavej is offline  
post #19540 of 19550 Old 04-19-2017, 11:24 AM
Newbie
 
HesterDW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
If your S360 is functioning correctly, and you are feeding the video signal to your TV via HDMI, I doubt you will see any appreciable difference from a newer player. A true/complete 4k HDR setup playing true 4k mastered media would surely be a step up.
Great, my wallet will be pleased to hear. Thanks!
HesterDW is offline  
post #19541 of 19550 Old 04-22-2017, 04:50 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Best black levels

Hello,

I am a long-time reader, first-time poster. Lately I have been looking for a new BDP. I have a Pioneer Elite 950HD with no plans to go 4K. For awhile, I've been using an old Samsung D5500. It's hardly state-of-the-art, but I was pleased with the black levels. Then just recently I tried the Cambridge CXU. In many ways it's wonderful. However, the black levels seem quite poor to me. Most dark scenes are just washed out.

So now I'm not sure how to proceed. Can anyone recommend a good player? I've been curious about the Arcam 411, but that is difficult to find, and supposedly it's built on the same platform as the CXU. How about something lower budget, like the Sony UHP-HI?
Trentero is offline  
post #19542 of 19550 Old 04-22-2017, 06:34 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 21,588
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2940 Post(s)
Liked: 2177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentero View Post
Hello,

I am a long-time reader, first-time poster. Lately I have been looking for a new BDP. I have a Pioneer Elite 950HD with no plans to go 4K. For awhile, I've been using an old Samsung D5500. It's hardly state-of-the-art, but I was pleased with the black levels. Then just recently I tried the Cambridge CXU. In many ways it's wonderful. However, the black levels seem quite poor to me. Most dark scenes are just washed out.

So now I'm not sure how to proceed. Can anyone recommend a good player? I've been curious about the Arcam 411, but that is difficult to find, and supposedly it's built on the same platform as the CXU. How about something lower budget, like the Sony UHP-HI?
Welcome to AVSForum.

These are digital levels. Absent gross design errors there shouldn't be differences in black levels between models. No one's level 16 can be blacker than anyone else's.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #19543 of 19550 Old 04-22-2017, 07:49 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Welcome to AVSForum.

These are digital levels. Absent gross design errors there shouldn't be differences in black levels between models. No one's level 16 can be blacker than anyone else's.

-Bill
Hi Bill. Thanks for the welcome. Maybe I'm not explaining correctly, but what I mean is the level of detail that you can discern in dark areas, dark scenes. For example, the Samsung D5500 accentuates the dark scenes and you can clearly see gradient levels of detail. On the CXU, if you turn the brightness all the way up (on the CXU menu options) then the overall picture becomes brighter, but it does nothing for the dark scenes and level of detail. Those are still basically washed out.

I suppose there is no straight answer to this dilemma. I suppose it's the Pioneer/BDO combo. The most striking player I ever owned was an Arcade DV-79, very smooth, very film-like. I'd like to hear some encouragement to seek out the 411, but it's a fool's errand. You need to see it with the display to know if it works for you.
Trentero is offline  
post #19544 of 19550 Old 04-22-2017, 07:50 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentero View Post
Hi Bill. Thanks for the welcome. Maybe I'm not explaining correctly, but what I mean is the level of detail that you can discern in dark areas, dark scenes. For example, the Samsung D5500 accentuates the dark scenes and you can clearly see gradient levels of detail. On the CXU, if you turn the brightness all the way up (on the CXU menu options) then the overall picture becomes brighter, but it does nothing for the dark scenes and level of detail. Those are still basically washed out.

I suppose there is no straight answer to this dilemma. I suppose it's the Pioneer/BDO combo. The most striking player I ever owned was an Arcade DV-79, very smooth, very film-like. I'd like to hear some encouragement to seek out the 411, but it's a fool's errand. You need to see it with the display to know if it works for you.
I mean Arcam DV-79, not Arcade.
Trentero is offline  
post #19545 of 19550 Old 04-23-2017, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 14,177
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentero View Post
Hi Bill. Thanks for the welcome. Maybe I'm not explaining correctly, but what I mean is the level of detail that you can discern in dark areas, dark scenes. For example, the Samsung D5500 accentuates the dark scenes and you can clearly see gradient levels of detail. On the CXU, if you turn the brightness all the way up (on the CXU menu options) then the overall picture becomes brighter, but it does nothing for the dark scenes and level of detail. Those are still basically washed out.

I suppose there is no straight answer to this dilemma. I suppose it's the Pioneer/BDO combo. The most striking player I ever owned was an Arcade DV-79, very smooth, very film-like. I'd like to hear some encouragement to seek out the 411, but it's a fool's errand. You need to see it with the display to know if it works for you.
I think most people change their settings in the display, not the player. If you want the best black/contrast levels, consider time for a new display, specifically an OLED.
49Merc likes this.
BillP is online now  
post #19546 of 19550 Old 04-23-2017, 09:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Astropin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
UHD player with Dolby Vision support and can stream Amazon?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Astropin is offline  
post #19547 of 19550 Old 04-24-2017, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
49Merc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,937
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Blu-Ray w/Internal Power

The huge power module incorporating power plug on my Sony BDPS6500 takes up two plug spaces on my power center. This has become a problem.

Are there any comparable Blu-Rays without plug end power bricks? If so what brands models?

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
49Merc is offline  
post #19548 of 19550 Old 04-25-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 12,062
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
The huge power module incorporating power plug on my Sony BDPS6500 takes up two plug spaces on my power center. This has become a problem.

Are there any comparable Blu-Rays without plug end power bricks? If so what brands models?
A workaround is to get a very short extension cord for use between the "wall wart" and the power strip.

Sony's top-of-the-line Blu-ray player (UHP-H1) includes an internal power supply, but it's relatively expensive (MSRP ~$200) as does their UHD disc player (UBP-800) which lists for ~$300.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is online now  
post #19549 of 19550 Old 04-25-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
49Merc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,937
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
A workaround is to get a very short extension cord for use between the "wall wart" and the power strip.

Sony's top-of-the-line Blu-ray player (UHP-H1) includes an internal power supply, but it's relatively expensive (MSRP ~$200) as does their UHD disc player (UBP-800) which lists for ~$300.
Crutchfield chat CSR recommended the $299 Sony. Best Buy's chat CSR recommended the Samsung BD-J6300. It is on sale for $109. I thought of a short extension cable so I'll have to decide. My Panamax MR5100 Power Manager has enough plug-ins but with the Sony BR taking up two outlets I am short one.

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad

Last edited by 49Merc; 04-25-2017 at 11:18 AM.
49Merc is offline  
post #19550 of 19550 Old Today, 12:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Upgrading from PS3 to standalone BD player worth it?

I am looking for suggestions and advice to see if switching to a stand alone BD player is worth it. My PS3 is working fine and used primarily for watching movies (Netflix + DVD) as well as listening to music from Pandora.

-Is there any benefits in-terms of sound and picture quality from BD player costing around $150-250? Really do not want to spend more than this amount.
-I stream music from Pandora using Roku and have to keep the projector on. Is there anyway I can stream music from my phone to the BD player directly? If yes, which model?

Thanks in advance.

Ascend Sierra Tower and Horizon with RAAL. Surround Axiom QS8, dual PB2000, Sony 40ES and Silver Ticket 135.
FIQBAL is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
1080p , bd-30 , Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , blu-ray 3d , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , control , counter , Dts , dvd player , dvd-a , flac , hdmi input , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , multichannel analog , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , player , quality , S390 , sacd , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , slow , smart , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , usb , video quality , wifi , zoom



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off