OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE - Page 653 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 232Likes

Old 05-03-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post
I purchased a Sony BDP-S1700 from Best Buy when they had a sale. I have not regrets purchasing that unit. I have had zero problems with the Sony.
Cool. Do you do much in the way of wi-fi streaming?

*** EDIT ***

Never mind. I just looked at Sony's website. Looks like the 1700 doesn't do wi-fi. I wasn't clear. I just updated my post to specify smooth wi-fi streaming as an important criterion.

Last edited by Sketcha; 05-03-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2017, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The S1700 does not have WiFi, however it has hardwired Ethernet. We do quite a bit of streaming. Netflix mostly.
Sketcha likes this.

LG OLED65B6P TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony BDP_S1700 Player, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
Old 05-07-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK... I think I've narrowed it down to the Sony BDP-S3700 or S6700 or a refurb PS3 slim.

• Our BD player and streamer is a Gen 1, "Fat" PS3. We are not huge gamers. That may change as our youngest approaches her teens, but we’ll cross that bridge.

• We currently need only 1080p, at most. For more on this, you can read my argument against 4K for our living room after my question to you here, if you're interested.

• We also have no interest in 3D at this time. Therefore we have no concerns that the PS3 can't do 3D and advanced audio codecs simultaneously.

• We do a fair amount of wi-fi streaming and the signal to the entertainment center is plenty strong enough for the PS3. The router is about 25’ away and just around a corner. Virtually never have issues. Only brief moments of picture degradation while buffering on rare occasion.

• Need a front loader.

• I don’t ever want to hear the player’s fan running during a movie. For this, I would gladly take a lesser UI and responsiveness. This may sew it up against game consoles right here.

From what I gather, it sounds as though we may be somewhat spoiled by the UI, responsiveness, place saving features, etc... and sheer reliability of our PS3. But, even after taking mitigating steps to correct it... and despite some degree of success... daddy can no longer take the fan noise... and I don't feel like spending money on a 19 blade fan for a 9 year old machine and my time is too valuable to spend the time on the install... especially with no full assurance that the results will be satisfactory enough for me.

So...

1. $75 Option - I already bought a 3700 locally, but I haven't opened it yet. I'm sure it will be acceptable for BD A/V. Will it likely be responsive enough for BD and smooth enough for streaming?

2. $118 Option - With the dual core processor, will the 6700 be noticeably better at streaming and noticeably more responsive over the 3700?

3. $150 Option - Despite my preference for new products… since the Slim PS3s were known to be much less noisy, do I need to buy a refurb PS3 slim and get the $20 2-year warranty… because we are so spoiled?

4. $250 - $275 Option - PS4 and X-BOX ONE S are not out of the question, but not really on the radar either. At least the ONE S can do 4K for when we ARE ready to make that move. I can't stinkin' believe Sony dropped the ball on this one.

Argument against 4K for our living room anytime soon:

I don't envision us going 4K anytime soon, so I would hate to buy a nice 4K player... only to have it die of old age by the time we upgrade to a 4K screen. Our old, 50", 720p plasma is still kicking strong and... despite imperfect contrast... it really does have a nice picture .And even if we bought a 4K display fairly soon, a hundred bucks or so spent today wouldn't be a total loss for a 1080p player that we could relocate in another room.

See... our living room has a substantial, built-in entertainment center that dictates only 1 place for a TV of a size no more than 50". Daddy's (my) chair allows for a viewing distance of about 12', while the nearest possible seating location (cheap far right seat) is about 9'.

According to the good ol', trusty, 20/20 vision chart below, 720p is adequate for anyone but the occasional kid who sits on the floor up front. AND... the WAF generally calls for a broken item before a new one can be purchased... and it's tough to make a reasonable argument against that which would hold up in court.

Last edited by Sketcha; 05-07-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3243 Post(s)
Liked: 1590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketcha View Post
OK... I think I've narrowed it down to the Sony BDP-S3700 or S6700 or a refurb PS3 slim.
While the 6700 is faster than the 3700, both should have what I consider acceptable response times. My experience is with the 1100 and the 6500, but I doubt the timings are much different.

Personally I'd recommend using a hardwired ethernet connection instead of wireless. The BD players' antennas are inside their boxes which degrades the signal somewhat, and wireless signals often experience unpredictable dropouts due to external radio interference. This can cause dropouts in the audio and video and can cause serious problems for firmware updates. A firmware update for their streaming services is required immediately after you turn on a Sony player and try to access the network.

And finally, a substantial part of the improvement provided by UHD video is in the expanded color gamut and range of brightness. Those improvements are quite visible even when the distance to the screen is enough to prevent experiencing the higher resolution.
Sketcha likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Old 05-09-2017, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
While the 6700 is faster than the 3700, both should have what I consider acceptable response times. My experience is with the 1100 and the 6500, but I doubt the timings are much different.
Makes sense. Hiccups in streaming are likely caused more by wi-fi than processor. And both probably have the same RAM.

So many reports of hiccups with these vs. Roku and such, but but since I don't need 3D and other features of the 6700, I can just stay with the $75 3700 and test 'er out. If it's a problem, then that's a reasonable reason for a return.

Quote:
Personally I'd recommend using a hardwired ethernet connection instead of wireless. The BD players' antennas are inside their boxes which degrades the signal somewhat, and wireless signals often experience unpredictable dropouts due to external radio interference. This can cause dropouts in the audio and video and can cause serious problems for firmware updates. A firmware update for their streaming services is required immediately after you turn on a Sony player and try to access the network.
Yeah, the modem and router are in another room. Ethernet is a bit of a tall order. And since the PS3 on wi-fi is virtually problem free...

Also, Sony boasts their antennae are located on the front of the units, so I guess we'll see if that design move pays off.

Quote:
And finally, a substantial part of the improvement provided by UHD video is in the expanded color gamut and range of brightness. Those improvements are quite visible even when the distance to the screen is enough to prevent experiencing the higher resolution.
Hmmm. Wally has killer sale prices right now. I wonder how much I could get for an old plasma on craigslist.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2017, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Question Convince me that I don't need an Oppo!

Hello -
I currently have a Sony 6500 which I only use for DVDs and Blu-ray discs through an HDMI only.

The 6500 is not bad, but I'm looking for the best DVD up-converting and Blu-ray picture quality without spending a bundle on a used Oppo 103 or 203.

I will consider a used / older model of any another brand.
Must support Atmos and DTS X.

Any suggestions?

No 3D or UHD needed
Denon 4200 AVR
7.1.2 Atmos
70' Sharp TV

Last edited by ace5000; 05-16-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Recommendation for best upscaling player other than Oppo

Already own the Oppo 83 so Im looking for a cheaper Blu Ray player for my second 4K OLED screen to upscale mostly sd dvds and some blu rays.

Matt
Old 05-16-2017, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Sony

Sony UBP-X800. Upscales to 4K. Does a great job. May do a better job than the Oppo 203 and 205. Current price $299.

Dave
Old 05-16-2017, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

• Our BD player and streamer is a Gen 1, "Fat" PS3. We are not huge gamers. That may change as our youngest approaches her teens, but we’ll cross that bridge.

• We currently need only 1080p, at most. For more on this, you can read my argument against 4K for our living room after my question to you here, if you're interested.

• We also have no interest in 3D at this time. Therefore we have no concerns that the PS3 can't do 3D and advanced audio codecs simultaneously.

• We do a fair amount of wi-fi streaming and the signal to the entertainment center is plenty strong enough for the PS3. The router is about 25’ away and just around a corner. Virtually never have issues. Only brief moments of picture degradation while buffering on rare occasion.

• Need a front loader.

• I don’t ever want to hear the player’s fan running during a movie. For this, I would gladly take a lesser UI and responsiveness. This may sew it up against game consoles right here.

From what I gather, it sounds as though we may be somewhat spoiled by the UI, responsiveness, place saving features, etc... and sheer reliability of our PS3. But, even after taking mitigating steps to correct it... and despite some degree of success... daddy can no longer take the fan noise... and I don't feel like spending money on a 19 blade fan for a 9 year old machine and my time is too valuable to spend the time on the install... especially with no full assurance that the results will be satisfactory enough for me.

So...

1. $75 Option - I already bought a 3700 locally, but I haven't opened it yet. I'm sure it will be acceptable for BD A/V. Will it likely be responsive enough for BD and smooth enough for streaming?

2. $118 Option - With the dual core processor, will the 6700 be noticeably better at streaming and noticeably more responsive over the 3700?

3. $150 Option - Despite my preference for new products… since the Slim PS3s were known to be much less noisy, do I need to buy a refurb PS3 slim and get the $20 2-year warranty… because we are so spoiled?

4. $250 - $275 Option - PS4 and X-BOX ONE S are not out of the question, but not really on the radar either. At least the ONE S can do 4K for when we ARE ready to make that move. I can't stinkin' believe Sony dropped the ball on this one.

Argument against 4K for our living room anytime soon:

I don't envision us going 4K anytime soon, so I would hate to buy a nice 4K player... only to have it die of old age by the time we upgrade to a 4K screen. Our old, 50", 720p plasma is still kicking strong and... despite imperfect contrast... it really does have a nice picture .And even if we bought a 4K display fairly soon, a hundred bucks or so spent today wouldn't be a total loss for a 1080p player that we could relocate in another room.

See... our living room has a substantial, built-in entertainment center that dictates only 1 place for a TV of a size no more than 50". Daddy's (my) chair allows for a viewing distance of about 12', while the nearest possible seating location (cheap far right seat) is about 9'.

According to the good ol', trusty, 20/20 vision chart below, 720p is adequate for anyone but the occasional kid who sits on the floor up front. AND... the WAF generally calls for a broken item before a new one can be purchased... and it's tough to make a reasonable argument against that which would hold up in court.

I will tell you that I am no longer using a PS3 Slim for a Blu-ray player because it was way too loud in my living room. I am now using a Sony 6500. Great picture, quiet, loads fast - but I want better! haha.

Last edited by ace5000; 05-16-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 1207
It is highly unlikely that you will see any difference trading the 6500 for something else. I've owned Oppo, Panasonic, Sony, Denon, and Samsung. I can see no visible differences, especially with Blu-ray.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Oppo UDP-203 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
It is highly unlikely that you will see any difference trading the 6500 for something else. I've owned Oppo, Panasonic, Sony, Denon, and Samsung. I can see no visible differences, especially with Blu-ray.
That's interesting. How about a Blu-ray player that is great at up-scaling std. DVDs to 1080p? The 6500 is not all that great at that. PS I do have a 70' screen.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2017, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 1207
There's only so much you can do with a DVD. Players have pretty much reached the max they can do. I still don't find much difference scaling DVD's although it has been a long while since I've put a DVD in my players.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Oppo UDP-203 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sony BDP-S3700 - A Very Brief Review

OK, so I kept the S3700. Hooked it up, fired it up, updated it up, loaded it up and popcorned it up!

So far we've watched one BD, 2 DVDs, maybe a half dozen Netflix movies and quite a few "shorties," i.e. 22 min shows on Netflix. And so far I am well pleased. Not a single hitch to date and whisper quiet.

And so far, the PS3 edges it out in only one way. Scrolling through the icons in Netflix is a hair slower, but noticeable. And the initial Netflix banner holds longer, i.e. Netflix, itself, loads a little slower. However, though I haven't timed the PS3, I think the time between power up to Netflix loaded is likely quicker with the 3700 due to the near-instant startup due to Quick Start mode. Using the "NETFLIX" button, Off to Netflix loaded is about 26 seconds. Where the PS3 has to start up, then we can scroll to Netflix, then click and wait a bit.

The minor quibbles above are FAR outweighed by the noise difference, let alone the other known benefits of a dedicated player over the PS3.

Also... just got another firmware update this morning. Was released yesterday, 5/17/17. Not bad for a player from early 2016.

After learning about motion blur, I'm going to hold off on getting rid of the plasma 'til I find the right replacement, likely with a high refresh rate and other tech to address that. And there's little point in a 4K upscaling player when the display will likely do very nearly as well as an S6700 at that job. Better, I think, to skip right to a true 4K player when that time comes.

Thanks be to all the contributors, past and present for the guidance and help!
Old Today, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
OK, so I kept the S3700. Hooked it up, fired it up, updated it up, loaded it up and popcorned it up!

So far we've watched one BD, 2 DVDs, maybe a half dozen Netflix movies and quite a few "shorties," i.e. 22 min shows on Netflix. And so far I am well pleased. Not a single hitch to date and whisper quiet.

And so far, the PS3 edges it out in only one way. Scrolling through the icons in Netflix is a hair slower, but noticeable. And the initial Netflix banner holds longer, i.e. Netflix, itself, loads a little slower. However, though I haven't timed the PS3, I think the time between power up to Netflix loaded is likely quicker with the 3700 due to the near-instant startup due to Quick Start mode. Using the "NETFLIX" button, Off to Netflix loaded is about 26 seconds. Where the PS3 has to start up, then we can scroll to Netflix, then click and wait a bit.

The minor quibbles above are FAR outweighed by the noise difference, let alone the other known benefits of a dedicated player over the PS3.

Also... just got another firmware update this morning. Was released yesterday, 5/17/17. Not bad for a player from early 2016.

After learning about motion blur, I'm going to hold off on getting rid of the plasma 'til I find the right replacement, likely with a high refresh rate and other tech to address that. And there's little point in a 4K upscaling player when the display will likely do very nearly as well as an S6700 at that job. Better, I think, to skip right to a true 4K player when that time comes.

Thanks be to all the contributors, past and present for the guidance and help!
Is the 3700 connected to a 4K set? Wondered how this player did upconverting dvd to 4K ?

Matt
Old Today, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Is the 3700 connected to a 4K set? Wondered how this player did upconverting dvd to 4K ?
No.

The 3700 doesn't upconvert to 4K, but a 4K TV will on its own. There's just some debate as to which will do a better job, TV or player. For uncoverting you need the 6700, at least. It's like $115 at Walmart, but if you've got extra cash, you might want a true 4K player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1080p , bd-30 , Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , blu-ray 3d , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , control , counter , Dts , dvd player , dvd-a , flac , hdmi input , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , multichannel analog , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , player , quality , S390 , sacd , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , slow , smart , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , usb , video quality , wifi , zoom