AVS Forum banner
3M views 20K replies 5K participants last post by  cullam 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
[mod note] If you start a new thread asking for advice on buying a new BD player and the thread is merged into this thread, go to the end of thread and your original post should be there, maybe back a few posts. And you may already have some input. [/mod note]

I need help. Which bluray player is the best regardless of price thats not a major concern for me i just want the best bluray player in you opinion. Thank you i really need help with this one cause i have no knowledge of this subject

#13,041 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerman58 /forum/post/21659768

Hi

Please, I am going blind from reading Blu-Ray reviews, specs, manuals, jumbles of letters and numbers, the opinions of little old ladies who shop exclusively at Wal-Mart, ad nauseam.

Here's what I want; just tell me what to get, up to about $150 U.S. I don't really want a $59.99 no-name, but if it does what I want...

FWIW I have a Vizio 42" LCD and I'll be upgrading my AVR to something like a Mid-Price DENON or Onkyo with HDMI input/output.

Blu-Ray player with

MOST IMPORTANT: will play 95 percent of all the DVDs I backed up from my computer using the AVI format. This needs to be as a result of your personal experience coz I found a Samsung I liked that seemed to have all the specs, then I read the manual and it said - very carefully and deliberately - that Xvid/Divx disks needed to be made and finalized in a DVD recorder, which I take to mean nothing pirated and burned in my tatty hard drive with freeware.

I don't feel inclined to spend a week ripping a couple hundred movies and re-burning them using MPEG4 or MKV format.

WiFi (preferably built-in because I suspect "WiFi Ready" means buying more parts and complications) that streams Netflix without buffering every 10 minutes. (my download speed is usually between 8 and 18 MBPS). That probably means a dual antenna job. My router is about 25 feet away.

High-quality audio over HDMI

Anything else, like 3D, USB ports, Ipod docks, disc trays vs slots, Google, upside-down mounting, molded power cord etc I don't care as long as it meets Priority 1.

Thank you so much

Phil

"Finalized" means finalized or closed. If your discs were never closed/finalized then they won't play in any other device besides the one you used to burn with. I suggest you look at the help in your software and try to determine if you ever closed/finalized any of your discs. If you did multi-session burns, chances are you never closed/finalized.

Netflix streaming maxes out around 4Mbps, and wifi (G) maxes out around 16Mbps, so as long as your signal strength is ok, you shouldn't have buffering issues. If your router is really old and only 802.11b, then you'll need a new router because that's much too slow.

I can't pick a player for you, but it sounds like the sammy does everything you want. LG probably does too. You know that panasonic doesn't and that sony won't play avi unless you rename them or change the header info. So those are out. I also suggest you buy from a place with easy returns in case it doesn't work with your files.

Good luck

#13,042 ·
Hi

I have a Motorola SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 802.11n router, so it shoudl be ok.

I'm rethinking the AVI requirement. Yeah, I have a lot of em, but I would think there is probably only a couple of dozen I'd want to watch more than a few times. We don't watch Neverending Story since my boys started playing football.

I notice that most players support MPEG4 and MKV format, so maybe I could re-rip these AVI files and convert them to MPEG4 or MKV (isn't mkv something to do with Greek subtitles or something??)

I don't know about the finalizing thing. I tend to put 2 or 3 films on a disk, but I always burn them all at one time. I never try to burn one film then come back a couple of days later and add another one (even if that is posssible), so whether that affects the finalizing thing I don't know. I could always try and burn a new one with a couple of movies and see what the software says about finalizing disk. It finalizes my audio CDs, but that's a different software and means nothing.

I guess wireless streaming quality is something of a crapshoot, and the only way to get any handle on that is posted reviews...fallible as those can be. Unless there is a really reliable technically-based site that most thinking people consider trustworthy, rather than WalMart reviews.

Thanks

Phil

#13,043 ·
I currently have an Oppo BDP 95 and am thinking of getting a less expensive brand for the bedroom. I've been eyeing some Panasonic machines based on some of the various forums I've glanced at but am not limiting myself to just Panasonic. Oppo has been an excellent company for firmware updates on both this 95 and the 83SE I had before it and I would base my purchase largely on the customer service (FW updates) of a given company.

So tell me various blu-ray owners, how does your particular company rate as far as keeping their machines "current" with new FW updates?

Edit; fast load times are my only other so called requirement.

#13,044 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog /forum/post/21663551

I currently have an Oppo BDP 95 and am thinking of getting a less expensive brand for the bedroom. I've been eyeing some Panasonic machines based on some of the various forums I've glanced at but am not limiting myself to just Panasonic. Oppo has been an excellent company for firmware updates on both this 95 and the 83SE I had before it and I would base my purchase largely on the customer service (FW updates) of a given company.

So tell me various blu-ray owners, how does your particular company rate as far as keeping their machines "current" with new FW updates?

We have 2 Sony players (now a generation older than current models) in 2 diff. locations. They both work fine. Mostly used for Netflix streaming and Pandora. Do play one or 2 Netflix discs a week. I don't know how to rate "load" times. When we put in a disc it seems ready to play fairly quickly. Did notice that the long "Apocalypse Now" disc from Netflix seemed to take longer than usual last nite. (We are leaving for 3 weeks, tonite, to Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos.) Might have taken up to 45 seconds.

We have fast internet in both locations and I'm amazed at the quality of steamed content. Even watching old TV series (X-Files, Star Trek) comes across with amazing quality even tho not HD.

Updates seem to come once in a while. In a year, maybe 2 or 3. Could be more. I know my wife would simply click on the "update now" icon that appears and think nothing of it. I don't think I ever noticed any noticeable change after any updates.

#13,045 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog /forum/post/21663551

I've been very happy with my Panny 110. Loading is much faster than my previous player (Pioneer 51FD), and FW updates seem to come about every other month. PQ is excellent for both BluRay and SD DVD, and I have not had any problems playing any disc (unlike the 51FD).

#13,046 ·
Hi

I have tried searching for info on the Onkyo BD 809 in the threads but had no joy can anyone help please.

I have a Sony BD 580 now and a panasonic 50VT30 plasma going through an Onkyo amp.

What i am trying to find out is if i paid the extra for a high end player what i may get in return.

I am mainly looking for BD performance and standard CD not bothered about SACD as i only own one and not looking for others.

So would it offer better sound more colour gradient anything in fact. While the Onkyo is my main contender others would be considerd if positive reasons came up.

Many thanks

#13,047 ·
Generally what you get with a high-priced BD player is better audio DACs (only useful if you use analog audio outs), and sometimes better SD DVD upconversion (although many reasonably priced players also upconvert very well). BD disc performance is pretty similar across all players, although you need the higher models for dual HDMI outs (only needed if your receiver is not 3D capable).

#13,048 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/21665270

Generally what you get with a high-priced BD player is better audio DACs (only useful if you use analog audio outs), and sometimes better SD DVD upconversion (although many reasonably priced players also upconvert very well). BD disc performance is pretty similar across all players, although you need the higher models for dual HDMI outs (only needed if your receiver is not 3D capable).

Thank you very much i did wonder if this was the case and as i output sound through HDMI i am using the Onkyo amp to process the sound anyway.

I think it is also the case that as Bluray is 1080 anyway and no up conversion takes place that my AV onkyo does not change the image anyway? I think some older disks are only 720 so i guess that in that case it comes down to the BD player scaller

So i guess the only other issue would be is as the AV amp and TV both offer THX would the Onkyo BD 809 offer a more exact picture than a none thx player. I do not have THX speakers anyway so doubt this would make any odds.

Many thanks your reply really helped me sort the sound issue.

#13,049 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by technotica /forum/post/21645841

I would like to replace our trusty, old Roku HD-XR with something that can do more. We do not get cable/satellite so streaming is very important to us.

Priority for usage:

1 - Streaming (Netflix, Vudu, etc)

2 - Blu-Ray playback

3 - DLNA/local network playback

This would be for our bedroom, pretty limited setup:

TV - LG 42LK520

HD-DVD - Toshiba HD-A30KU

Requirements:

Around $100

Netflix, Amazon VoD, Hulu Plus, Vudu, YouTube

Superior DLNA support

Ethernet LAN preferred

Fast load times (both for blu-ray and streaming)

A remote that isn't terrible (glow buttons, decent layout, etc)

Other wishes:

3D would be nice for if/when we replace PS3 for media room

Continuing firmware/product support for at least a year

Not necessary features:

Wifi (ethernet jack right next to tv)

Region free

Multiple outputs (HDMI only is perfectly fine)

Games and other silly apps (those not related to watching content)

Decent up convert (we have a lot of DVDs, but we have HD-DVD player so not a big deal)

I'm considering these models

Panasonic DMP-BDT210

Panasonic DMP-BD75

LG BD630

Sony PS3 - more expensive I realize, but no more fighting over the ps3 any more

Stay away from the 210. It's horrible for Hulu plus and Netflix. Hulu plus constantly crashed, stops completely or stutters. If Netflix needs to readjust its stream quality then you get black flickers. Some put up with it but it's not good enough.

#13,050 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by technotica /forum/post/21645841

I would like to replace our trusty, old Roku HD-XR with something that can do more. We do not get cable/satellite so streaming is very important to us.

Priority for usage:

1 - Streaming (Netflix, Vudu, etc)

2 - Blu-Ray playback

3 - DLNA/local network playback

This would be for our bedroom, pretty limited setup:

TV - LG 42LK520

HD-DVD - Toshiba HD-A30KU

Requirements:

Around $100

Netflix, Amazon VoD, Hulu Plus, Vudu, YouTube

Superior DLNA support

Ethernet LAN preferred

Fast load times (both for blu-ray and streaming)

A remote that isn't terrible (glow buttons, decent layout, etc)

Other wishes:

3D would be nice for if/when we replace PS3 for media room

Continuing firmware/product support for at least a year

Not necessary features:

Wifi (ethernet jack right next to tv)

Region free

Multiple outputs (HDMI only is perfectly fine)

Games and other silly apps (those not related to watching content)

Decent up convert (we have a lot of DVDs, but we have HD-DVD player so not a big deal)

I'm considering these models

Panasonic DMP-BDT210

Panasonic DMP-BD75

LG BD630

Sony PS3 - more expensive I realize, but no more fighting over the ps3 any more

i would highly recomend the Samsung smart TV enabled players

i was a big HTPC user but have not found a use for mine since getting the BD8500. it plays 99% of files, mkv/avis etc off my DNLA networked drive along with online services like 'lovefilm' in the UK

tried the bdt210 which was rubbish at streaming along with the ps3

added bonus, which is a biggy for me, is that it switches output including to 24fps when required.

upscales dvd's brilliantly too is 3D compatible and updates are very regular

i really cannot understand why these players are not being snapped up as they are way above any others on the market AND they double as an excellent network player!

#13,051 ·
I've got a Sony S580 that is about a month and a half new. I like it and its quick etc. but after reading all these reviews on the Oppo units, I am inclined to getting one..... herein lies my issue. The Oppo 93 is 500 bucks. I understand its a great value but its still 5 times the price I paid for my S580. I don't care about online streaming, since my TV has all of that anyways (Samsung PN51D8000) and I also don't have any self burned discs etc. All my movies are BluRay originals and my music is mostly played via my PC to my Receiver via Optical cable.

So my main point of purchasing the Oppo would be for picture quality. Is there REALLY such a big difference in picture and audio quality between the Oppo and any other "decent" BluRay player like the one I own?

If there truly is such a difference, I may sell my S580 and go for the Oppo but I'd love to see any differences. No retailer sells them in stores so I could demo it and I have not found any picture comparisons online (maybe someone can direct me?). Something like "Picture A is shown with a standard Bluray player and Picture B is from the Oppo".

Thanks,

Ray

#13,052 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehza /forum/post/21668127

I've got a Sony S580 that is about a month and a half new. I like it and its quick etc. but after reading all these reviews on the Oppo units, I am inclined to getting one..... herein lies my issue. The Oppo 93 is 500 bucks. I understand its a great value but its still 5 times the price I paid for my S580. I don't care about online streaming, since my TV has all of that anyways (Samsung PN51D8000) and I also don't have any self burned discs etc. All my movies are BluRay originals and my music is mostly played via my PC to my Receiver via Optical cable.

So my main point of purchasing the Oppo would be for picture quality. Is there REALLY such a big difference in picture and audio quality between the Oppo and any other "decent" BluRay player like the one I own?

If there truly is such a difference, I may sell my S580 and go for the Oppo but I'd love to see any differences. No retailer sells them in stores so I could demo it and I have not found any picture comparisons online (maybe someone can direct me?). Something like "Picture A is shown with a standard Bluray player and Picture B is from the Oppo".

Thanks,

Ray

Any differences for Blu-ray will be too subtle to show up on snapshots. Calibrating the display will make a bigger improvement than switching gear. If you are happy with what you have I would stick with it and start tweaking the display.

-Bill

#13,053 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehza /forum/post/21668127

Thanks,

Ray

this link should help.

Jacob
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/techn...n.html?start=3

#13,054 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain /forum/post/21668224

Any differences for Blu-ray will be too subtle to show up on snapshots. Calibrating the display will make a bigger improvement than switching gear. If you are happy with what you have I would stick with it and start tweaking the display.

-Bill

Bill,

I have already calibrated my TV with the Spears and Munsil disc. At this point I'm just curious if the ~$350,- price difference is "visible".

Jacob,

thanks for the link!

Ray

#13,055 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a bluray player with the following features:

Built in Wi-fi

Netflix

streaming from a samba share with good support for video formats (mostly mkv, but the more supported formats the better)

I've been looking everywhere for the LG BD670C, but none of the stores around me have them left in stock. I could order one online as a last resort, but I'd prefer not to.

I think the Philips BDP3406 has all these features, but I haven't been able to find much buyer feedback on it.

My other option is to go with a WD live or other streaming box and just get a separate bluray player, but I'm trying to limit the number of components/remotes in the bedroom.

#13,056 ·
Jacob, that link was excellent! That helped me tremendously!

What exactly is Source Direct though? Does that mean if I'd watch an old DVD movie, that it would not alter with its picture by up-converting it to 1080p? If I understand that correctly, why is it a plus to NOT up-convert?

Ray

#13,058 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehza /forum/post/21668385

Jacob, that link was excellent! That helped me tremendously!

What exactly is Source Direct though? Does that mean if I'd watch an old DVD movie, that it would not alter with its picture by up-converting it to 1080p? If I understand that correctly, why is it a plus to NOT up-convert?

Ray

Yes, Source Direct sends the native video resolution of the disc, with minimal video processing. For DVD this 480i.

It is of interest to people who want to use the player as a transport, with video processing happening downstream in some video processor, receiver, or in the display itself.

-Bill

#13,059 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massif /forum/post/21668371

I'm looking for a bluray player with the following features:

Built in Wi-fi

Netflix (I'm in Canada, so other services like Hulu aren't needed)

streaming from a samba share with good support for video formats (mostly mkv, but the more supported formats the better)

I've been looking everywhere for the LG BD670C, but none of the stores around me have them left in stock. I could order one online as a last resort, but I'd prefer not to.

I think the Philips BDP3406 has all these features, but I haven't been able to find much buyer feedback on it.

My other option is to go with a WD live or other streaming box and just get a separate bluray player, but I'm trying to limit the number of components/remotes in the bedroom.

As is usually the case with me, I've solved my problem moments after posting on a message board. I found the BD670C at my local Walmart! I wasn't expecting that.

#13,060 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehza /forum/post/21668350

Bill,

I have already calibrated my TV with the Spears and Munsil disc. At this point I'm just curious if the ~$350,- price difference is "visible".

Jacob,

thanks for the link!

Ray

no problem.

the reason that the oppo has so much praise is the customer service is such top notch. you wont get that with the other brands. yes it does cost a bit. but I rather think its a bargin at 500. they could easily sell it for 1000 or more.

Jacob