OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE - Page 654 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 236Likes

post #19591 of 19604 Old 06-12-2017, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone help me find some LG Blu-ray players that have both HDMI *and* composite/RCA outputs? I know the LG BD670 does...

The composite outputs would only be used for DVDs.

Other brands would be useful as well. Thanks.

Last edited by Dougmeister; 06-12-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19592 of 19604 Old 06-13-2017, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougmeister View Post
Can anyone help me find some LG Blu-ray players that have both HDMI *and* composite/RCA outputs? I know the LG BD670 does...

The composite outputs would only be used for DVDs.

Other brands would be useful as well. Thanks.
Is there a reason why you want to use composite out for DVD's?
post #19593 of 19604 Old 06-13-2017, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Is there a reason why you want to use composite out for DVD's?
We are using a device called a "TV Guardian" that mutes swear words by monitoring the closed captions.

post #19594 of 19604 Old 06-13-2017, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougmeister View Post
We are using a device called a "TV Guardian" that mutes swear words by monitoring the closed captions.
Oh ok, well I would go with the one you found. Finding a blu ray player with component out is near impossible at least new ones. Your best bet is to look for an older model. Many that DO have that output also downgrade the signal, at least from what I have read. You could get something like an HDMI to composite converter and an hdmi splitter run HDMI out of the BR player to the splitter, 1 line out of the splitter to the tv and the other to the HDMI to composite converter. Although I bought a converter for my buddies parents and it did not work, its hit and miss. Or maybe use and HDMI splitter and pair it with the TVGuardian 501 HD that accepts HDMI inputs. Or buy a standalone dvd player. I understand you wanting to protect your kids but I don't think there are many cheap options for you.
post #19595 of 19604 Old 06-14-2017, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Standalone player or xbox?

Good morning everyone. I'm looking for some advice on what to replace my current blu ray player with. I have a Sony BDPS360 which has been fine for years but is getting on a bit, refuses to play one of my discs for some reason and I think is also getting louder.

My set up at the moment is this:
TV - Panasonic 50"GT50
AVR - Yamaha RX-S601
5.1 Speakers
Roku + Freesat box

I've got no plans for 4K any time soon. The Roku box is doing fine for streaming so my needs for the player are really quite simple. Play Blu Rays, DVD and CDs and to do it quietly.

I'll be plugging this into the receiver via HDMI, can someone clear up if there will be any noticeable difference between visual and audio quality between different players using this method please? I'd always assumed the TV, receiver and disc had more effect than the player but there's seems to be a lot of talk about different quality between players now.

Then the original question. I'm not a big gamer but have toyed with getting an xbox since a lot of my friends have them. Is there any reason why a standalone player would be better for my needs than an xbox which obviously gives me the option for gaming?

Thanks for any help!
post #19596 of 19604 Old 06-14-2017, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifty99 View Post
Standalone player or xbox?

Good morning everyone. I'm looking for some advice on what to replace my current blu ray player with. I have a Sony BDPS360 which has been fine for years but is getting on a bit, refuses to play one of my discs for some reason and I think is also getting louder.

My set up at the moment is this:
TV - Panasonic 50"GT50
AVR - Yamaha RX-S601
5.1 Speakers
Roku + Freesat box

I've got no plans for 4K any time soon. The Roku box is doing fine for streaming so my needs for the player are really quite simple. Play Blu Rays, DVD and CDs and to do it quietly.

I'll be plugging this into the receiver via HDMI, can someone clear up if there will be any noticeable difference between visual and audio quality between different players using this method please? I'd always assumed the TV, receiver and disc had more effect than the player but there's seems to be a lot of talk about different quality between players now.

Then the original question. I'm not a big gamer but have toyed with getting an xbox since a lot of my friends have them. Is there any reason why a standalone player would be better for my needs than an xbox which obviously gives me the option for gaming?

Thanks for any help!
The only difference really is price. You can get a stand alone Blu Ray player for less that you can a current gen Xbox, but with that additional cost you do also get a console. You would also need to add in a remote for the Xbox, unless you want to use a game controller to control the playback of movies. And if you opted for an Xbox One S you do also get the benefit of a player that can playback UHD Blu Ray
clifty99 likes this.
post #19597 of 19604 Old 06-18-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer...y-and-dvd.html

What's the difference between the UHD models? Looking for a player to only play UHD discs(use old bluray player for BD) on a Sony ZD9.

Birgir "keyser"
post #19598 of 19604 Old 06-26-2017, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Question 4K player for someone who almost never watches discs?

We recently got a new 4K tv and I'm looking to upgrade the rest of our AV equipment. What would be a good choice for someone who rarely watches discs, but isn't ready to completely give up the option? We currently just have an old DVD player so we don't even have Blu-ray yet. 99% of what we watch is streamed or antenna.

I'm thinking just a 4K upscaling player would be fine, but I don't want something completely crummy either. I don't need any smart features, although it appears they're somewhat standard. Budget is somewhat flexible, but obviously I don't want to spend a huge amount for something that may not get a ton of use.

TIA!
post #19599 of 19604 Old 06-26-2017, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcekids View Post
We recently got a new 4K tv and I'm looking to upgrade the rest of our AV equipment. What would be a good choice for someone who rarely watches discs, but isn't ready to completely give up the option? We currently just have an old DVD player so we don't even have Blu-ray yet. 99% of what we watch is streamed or antenna.

I'm thinking just a 4K upscaling player would be fine, but I don't want something completely crummy either. I don't need any smart features, although it appears they're somewhat standard. Budget is somewhat flexible, but obviously I don't want to spend a huge amount for something that may not get a ton of use.

TIA!
Not sure if you want another DVD/BD player but since you 'stream' 99% of the time I'd suggest upgrading to the latest Roku 4 if you haven't already.
post #19600 of 19604 Old 06-26-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Not sure if you want another DVD/BD player but since you 'stream' 99% of the time I'd suggest upgrading to the latest Roku 4 if you haven't already.
Yes, I'm looking for a BD player for the few occasions when we need/want to watch a disc. Streaming is already handled with Roku.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
post #19601 of 19604 Old 06-26-2017, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Yes, I'm looking for a BD player for the few occasions when we need/want to watch a disc. Streaming is already handled with Roku.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Here's a start, same link from low to high in $.
post #19602 of 19604 Old 06-26-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Thank you. I'm actually reading now that it may not even be important for the player to upscale since the TV does it. Is that true? I just watched a bit of a regular DVD with our old player, and it looked pretty good. I would like to be able to finally watch those Star Wars Blu-rays in the drawer, but it looks like a basic BD player may do the trick for our use.
post #19603 of 19604 Old 06-26-2017, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3303 Post(s)
Liked: 1616
Quote:
Thank you. I'm actually reading now that it may not even be important for the player to upscale since the TV does it. Is that true?
Yes. Every flat-panel TV has to upscale input signals which do not match the resolution of the display panel. A few TVs have rather poor upscaling, though, in which case the disc player or receiver might do a better job.

Quote:
I just watched a bit of a regular DVD with our old player, and it looked pretty good. I would like to be able to finally watch those Star Wars Blu-rays in the drawer, but it looks like a basic BD player may do the trick for our use.
That's likely to be the case. However, some 4K TVs do a poorer job of upscaling DVDs than they do for Blu-rays.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #19604 of 19604 Old Today, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Looking for a 3D blu-ray player to feed 1080p projector and Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 receiver.

For Atmos, does it just need to support Dolby TrueHD and bitstream? Or should I get one that does 4k? Will the player output 4k discs at 1080p?

Thanks,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
1080p , bd-30 , Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , blu-ray 3d , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , control , counter , Dts , dvd player , dvd-a , flac , hdmi input , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , multichannel analog , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , player , quality , S390 , sacd , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , slow , smart , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , usb , video quality , wifi , zoom