OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE - Page 657 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2720Likes

post #19681 of 19706 Old 09-10-2017, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2254 Post(s)
Liked: 985
No, you would not see any difference.

Last edited by mdavej; 09-10-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19682 of 19706 Old 09-10-2017, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm looking for a new player that will allow me to disable the angle icon when playing discs. Everything I've looked so far at doesn't have that option. Can someone here point me to any such players currently being sold?

Thanks.
post #19683 of 19706 Old 09-11-2017, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Used player should run you about $60, like this Sony 6700
I've heard a few good things about this player. Do you think the 220 Region Free version of this is a "Best Bang For the Buck" Player these days? Any other recommendations?

Do any of you have a preference buying from:

world-import
220 Electronics

Are there other Sellers?

post #19684 of 19706 Old 09-11-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albabe View Post
I've heard a few good things about this player. Do you think the 220 Region Free version of this is a "Best Bang For the Buck" Player these days? Any other recommendations?

world-import
220 Electronics

Are there other Sellers?
I don't have any experience with world-import, but I've purchased multiple players from 220 Electronics over the years and I've always received good service from them. They answer their phone promptly and they've always been helpful with both sales and tech support, even when I purchased their products from Amazon. One time I had a problem with a particular unit (it used the same remote control codes as another of my existing players, even though it was a different brand), and they made it easy for me to exhange it for a different model.

Last edited by DXR27; 09-11-2017 at 10:31 PM.
post #19685 of 19706 Old 09-12-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:

world-import
220 Electronics

Are there other Sellers?
I have no need for a Region Free player. But in my experience, the no-name Chinese players that are easily hacked are far cheaper than Sony, which requires a hardware mod. So, no, I'd say Sony is nowhere near the best bang for the buck region free player given the extra hardware and labor involved.

Realize that 4K discs are region free by definition, so no need for a region player for those, only for BD and DVD.
post #19686 of 19706 Old 09-12-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I have no need for a Region Free player. But in my experience, the no-name Chinese players that are easily hacked are far cheaper than Sony, which requires a hardware mod. So, no, I'd say Sony is nowhere near the best bang for the buck region free player given the extra hardware and labor involved.

Realize that 4K discs are region free by definition, so no need for a region player for those, only for BD and DVD.
Thanx for the info! I dunno anything about the "No-Name Chinese" players. Where do I find out about them?

I haven't upgraded to 4K yet. I'm a poor Writer/Artist/Cartoonist and, as much as I'd love to pick one up, I can't really afford it.

We need a Region Free player that also plays PAL because my wife has a lot of British Shakespeare stuff, DVDs and BRs, and needs to be able to play them. (She also teaches Shakespeare). Also, things like the German Northern Exposure Box set that I just got (that has all of the Original Music!!!)
post #19687 of 19706 Old 09-12-2017, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 1360
There is a separate thread for region free players.

Region Free Blu Ray player discussion

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Oppo UDP-203 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #19688 of 19706 Old 09-12-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Thanx for the info! I dunno anything about the "No-Name Chinese" players. Where do I find out about them?

I haven't upgraded to 4K yet. I'm a poor Writer/Artist/Cartoonist and, as much as I'd love to pick one up, I can't really afford it.

We need a Region Free player that also plays PAL because my wife has a lot of British Shakespeare stuff, DVDs and BRs, and needs to be able to play them. (She also teaches Shakespeare). Also, things like the German Northern Exposure Box set that I just got (that has all of the Original Music!!!)
Best to look in the linked thread above, but I was talking about the Seiki (has a name after all ;-) in that thread which is under $50 used on Amazon, and does handle PAL. That's what I would pick if I were on a budget, not a Sony.
https://www.amazon.com/Seiki-SR4KP1-.../dp/B00MB54M9W
post #19689 of 19706 Old 09-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoff View Post
I have tried to search, but can not find a thread related to vertical mounting of a BlueRay player behind a LED TV. Before I purchase a BlueRay HDR, was curious if others have mounted vertically successfully? and that the disc doesn't jam when opening/closing the tray? Or if there any good solutions that are insert/slot loaded?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations?
I believe a used PS3 is the recommendation, but that is just plain blu-ray

"It's an invention, and it makes Non-Stop Rocking possible!"
post #19690 of 19706 Old 09-13-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
There is a separate thread for region free players.

Region Free Blu Ray player discussion
Thanx! I was pointed this way. I just joined the group for this post. I'll check that one out.
post #19691 of 19706 Old 09-13-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Best to look in the linked thread above, but I was talking about the Seiki (has a name after all ;-) in that thread which is under $50 used on Amazon, and does handle PAL. That's what I would pick if I were on a budget, not a Sony.
https://www.amazon.com/Seiki-SR4KP1-.../dp/B00MB54M9W
Dang, that looks great - but it doesn't play PAL.
post #19692 of 19706 Old 09-13-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
That's news to me. Everything I've read says it does.
post #19693 of 19706 Old 09-13-2017, 04:28 PM

Recommendations on Blu-Ray Player for HD TV and DVD

Just want to have some recommendations on Blu-Ray Players that have a great picture quality for a HD TV set. Not for 4K in other words, since I don't have 4K. I just, in fact, purchased the Philips 40PFT4101. And just as important, a Blu-Ray Player that has a particular nice quality when playing DVDs. This later part of my quest is for now most important for me, a Blu-Ray Player that upscales DVD to 1080p with the best picture quality possible.
post #19694 of 19706 Old 09-14-2017, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked: 1698
Quote:
Where did you learn that?

Even if the disc player can play PAL, many US TV sets can't, so you should make sure the player can upscale from 25/50 fps to 30/60 in case you need that.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #19695 of 19706 Old 09-14-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Even if the disc player can play PAL, many US TV sets can't, so you should make sure the player can upscale from 25/50 fps to 30/60 in case you need that.
There are many reports that the Seiki in question converts 25/50 fps to 30/60 just fine. I actually can't find ANY evidence that it can't convert PAL. So I'm also curious where the OP read that.

I have no dog in this fight, but I'd like to know the real story in case I ever need a region free player myself.
post #19696 of 19706 Old 09-14-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
That's news to me. Everything I've read says it does.
This is why I get so dang confused. Where have you read that it does PAL?

On Amazon's Reviews, it says:

https://www.amazon.com/Seiki-SR4KP1-...R3B7ZU0UM8M2YN

"2.0 out of 5 starsSubtitles and Closed Captioning but NO PAL format
BySagafoo (Sasha M Karn)on December 3, 2016
Verified Purchase
Good deal, subtitles and closed captioning. Plays everything except PAL format DVDs. Menus are slightly complicated but so far so good. Edit: will not work with my Phillips tv. Will only output standard definition with it. Works fine with my Magnavox. Its lame because I want it to work on my Phillips. I tried the HDMI button changing its output. Also worst zoom and remote ever made. Seriously."
post #19697 of 19706 Old 09-14-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Not sure how that all works. I had an old Phillips that played PAL and it worked fine on my Plasma, until it died. I also had an old Oppo DVD player someone gave me that worked fine through our Receiver and onto my Plasma. But it kinda blew-up.
post #19698 of 19706 Old 09-14-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
There are many reports that the Seiki in question converts 25/50 fps to 30/60 just fine. I actually can't find ANY evidence that it can't convert PAL. So I'm also curious where the OP read that.

I have no dog in this fight, but I'd like to know the real story in case I ever need a region free player myself.
What's an "OP?"
post #19699 of 19706 Old 09-14-2017, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 55
OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE

Quote:
What's an "OP?"

OP is commonly-used terminology on message boards/social-media platforms that means Original Poster.

So this can mean the OP of a thread or the OP of a particular question, for example. Basically just references the first person to have posted about something in particular.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Samsung 64F8500| OPPO 93| Amazon Fire TV
Samsung 51F8500| OPPO 93| WiiU
Samsung 51F8500| Sony BDP-S360| Xbox One
post #19700 of 19706 Old 09-14-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:

On Amazon's Reviews, it says...
Didn't notice that one before, but others report PAL plays fine, and it's in the specs:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ay_player.html (see Specs)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B00MB54M9W
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=30
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=355

I also emailed Seiki and asked them directly, but have not heard back yet.

Quote:
What's an "OP?"
You, the Original Poster.
In any case, I do not have this player myself, nor do I have any PAL DVDs or discs from other regions, so it's still a risk given the apparently mixed reviews. At least Amazon has a liberal return policy.

Good luck. If you get one, let us know how it turns out so we'll know for sure.
post #19701 of 19706 Old 09-15-2017, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked: 1698
Quote:

On Amazon's Reviews, it says:
Unfortunately, Amazon reviews are too often posted by people who really don't understand how modern A/V systems work. The EDID provided by the TV tells the player whether or not it supports PAL resolutions and framerates. If it doesn't, then the player will refuse to play them.

Also US versions of some players (especially Sony's) often omit features which are available in the European versions, including support for PAL, but they use the same model numbers for both players, adding to the confusion.

FWIW, my three-year-old non-region-free Pioneer and Sharp Blu-ray players are quite willing to play Region 0 PAL DVDs. (Region 0 = play in any region) but neither of my newer Sony players will. However, most computer DVD and Blu-ray players can have their regions changed up to 5 times, so I play my Region 2 DVDs using my HTPC laptop. Those are the only non-US titles I have, so that works well for me.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #19702 of 19706 Old 09-15-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, Amazon reviews are too often posted by people who really don't understand how modern A/V systems work. The EDID provided by the TV tells the player whether or not it supports PAL resolutions and framerates. If it doesn't, then the player will refuse to play them.
Ahhhhhhh!

Quote:
Also US versions of some players (especially Sony's) often omit features which are available in the European versions, including support for PAL, but they use the same model numbers for both players, adding to the confusion.

FWIW, my three-year-old non-region-free Pioneer and Sharp Blu-ray players are quite willing to play Region 0 PAL DVDs. (Region 0 = play in any region) but neither of my newer Sony players will. However, most computer DVD and Blu-ray players can have their regions changed up to 5 times, so I play my Region 2 DVDs using my HTPC laptop. Those are the only non-US titles I have, so that works well for me.
Damn! Thanx so much! I've been reading similar but very confusing stuff about these variables, but your response was clear and concise. I appreciate it!

I should say that I'm a little ADHD so I'm kinda "Anal" about figuring-out this stuff. So bear with me, please.

This is my "Bargain" set-up:
Receiver: Yamaha TSR-5790/RX-V579
Plasma TV - Panasonic TC-P55UT50 - 55" 3D
PS3
PS4

The PS3 is my main workhorse and plays pretty nicely, but it's getting old and has some problems with some newer BRs (which play in my PS4). The PS3 has Nice Picture and sound. Do you folks think the Seiki-SR4KP1 will be similar? Better?

I have the German Northern Exposure DVD in PAL (with all of the Original Music). Will the Seiki play that?

My wife says all of her British Blu-Ray Shakespeare are not region-Locked, but she'd like to get the Tennant Doctor Whos that haven't been released in the US, and I've heard they play on most BR machines, except the Special Features. Do you folks think the Seiki will play those Special Features?

Just FYI: On a Mac (and i think on a PC) I've never had any trouble with PAL DVDs. Also, VLC plays PAL just fine. I understand it ignores the Region Code.

I work as a Writer/Artist/Cartoonist/ADHD-Guy in Comic Books. If anyone has any awesome gear they might wanna trade for artwork, i got stuff to trade:

Go to my Photos and peruse if you like.

https://www.facebook.com/albabe.Al.Gordon
post #19703 of 19706 Old 09-15-2017, 05:13 PM

Wow, great stuff, Al! Wish I did have something worth trading. I can't confirm if the Seiki can play all that, but I'd say odds are pretty good.
post #19704 of 19706 Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM

Hi folks,

Long time lurker here, but oddly only made an account today actually.
I could use a bit of advise, hopefully you guys can help me decide.

I recently bought a house, and with a new house comes a new TV.
I bought the LG OLED65E6V and I'm really looking forward watching some UHD movies on it. Now I'm in the market for a UHD blu-ray player and I'm looking at both the Sony UBP-X800 and the LG UP970. Now i read great things about the Sony player and from what i understand, its superior to the LG. However, how big of a deal is Dolby Vision to me since i own a LG OLED TV?

What would you do? Go for the Sony, ignore DV and enjoy HDR10? Or go for the LG and benefit of the Dolby Vision?
post #19705 of 19706 Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rck010 View Post
...I'm in the market for a UHD blu-ray player...
Wrong thread. This one is not UHD. There is a different thread for that. Good luck.
post #19706 of 19706 Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Wrong thread. This one is not UHD. There is a different thread for that. Good luck.
Ugh, you're right.. apologies....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
1080p , bd-30 , Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , blu-ray 3d , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , control , counter , Dts , dvd player , dvd-a , flac , hdmi input , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , multichannel analog , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , player , quality , S390 , sacd , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , slow , smart , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , usb , video quality , wifi , zoom

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page